test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ten Forward Weekly 4/13/22

protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
From: https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/u3c0ds/ten_forward_weekly_41322/ Credit to: user/TheSajuukKhar/
  • Kael guesses that Weyoun and Polearm aren't account unlocks because the pack had to be made cheaper because the account boost isn't as much of a normal boost, so because the pack was cheaper they had to make the contents a bit cheaper. But he will ask the specific reason.
  • Legendary Vesta is called the Carnelian(?), its a stealth intel ship. Kael doesn't know what Legendary pack it will come in.
  • California class with be coming May 10th along with the Stormfall release
  • Turning off other players visuals in space is an ongoing conversation, big issue is finding a way to turn things off, but still getting the visual information you need to know whats going on.
  • We will have access to the new bridge. Kael isn't sure if it will be immediately at release, or come later like the the Klingon bridge.
  • The conversation last week about changing what the Dominion Wingmen ships look like started a longer conversation between Jeremy and Thomas after last week's stream. Kael isn't sure what conclusion they came to regarding if you can change them, what options you would have if they do, or if they get changed to look like the legendary Dom ship model permanently.
  • Tutorial revamp coming out May 10th alongside Stormfall release
  • The playable Farpoint alien ship was originally the winter ship before they used the Eisenberg class. Kael isn't sure how its going to be released now but he thinks it likely to be an event ship.
  • Cryptic is hoping to jump on the list of things people want added to re-engineering that was made a few months ago.
  • Cryptic has talked about ships with different seating, or a way to change a ships seating, but they have to find the best way to do that from a technical side, and a merchandising side.
  • Kael thinks craftable ships is an interesting idea, but its such a wildly different way of ship purchasing that it could disrupt the game so hes not sure they would ever jump on that.
  • Borg ship in Picard is far too big to be a playable ship. More likely that it would be something in an event/TFO like the Voth ship is
  • Gamma recruit will come to console when the next content patch drops on console.
  • Kael thinks the next event campaign event will be two events from now, not counting RAs in-between.
  • No ETA on when any removed missions will be coming back.
  • Cryptic would like to rework the old exploration system into something new but its pretty far down on the task list.
  • Thought behind making the Vesta Legendary was that they were reworking the tutorial, the Vesta is in it, and it has enough skins for it.
  • More dil sinks are coming, Keal isn't sure of the ETA for them though.
  • If they allowed BOFFs on Risa they would have to allow less players per instance on Risa, and since Risa is a social map made for players that wouldn't be good.
  • Kael was told about what Joseph Gatt did, and said he would let Al know(presumably so they can decide if they need to do anything about it)
  • Kael 100% officially confirmed the Pathyaeger is coming since Thomas wasn't on the stream!!!! (sarcasm)
  • They are putting more stuff in the Phoenix Box. Kael can't say when, but he has an idea on what that would happen.
  • A lot of the Star Trek TV show/movie songs have a lot of rights tied up with their composers. So Cryptic doesn't have access to them without paying extra.
  • TAS series rights are weird, but Kael thinks some of that has cleared up no that CBS/Paramount have re-merged, so Cryptic is looking into some of that stuff.
  • Kael has tried to, but was told not to, set up a meeting with various players, the CM, and Devs, because they had issues with similar things in the past where players would take the faith that Cryptic put in them and turn that into expecting/demanding things. When they did get the reports from the German community it was always stuff they had already seen on the forums/reddit, and was never anything really new either.
  • STO will never get an engine update in the terms of taking the whole game and putting it on a new engine. But STO will keep getting updates to the existing engine. Going to a new engine wouldn't even do what many people say it will. The game would still look/play the same, just on different code.
  • The Competitive TFOs were an attempt to being a larger PVP revamp. But since PVPers didn't like them because they weren't normal PVP, and PVE players didn't like them because they weren't PVE, it just wasn't popular so they didn't keep investing into it.
  • No current plans to release the 10th anniversary legendary ships individually.
  • Kael has been beating the drum on the elite Maco/Honor Guard uniforms not being available, will continue to keep beating that drum.
  • Keal doesn't think they would do a Dil to Lobi exchange since Lobi is supposed to be the lockbox thing.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    > Keal doesn't think they would do a Dil to Lobi exchange since Lobi is supposed to be the lockbox thing.

You can to this indirectly with a 7-14 day delay on PC, instantly on console: dil -> zen -> lockbox -> lobi
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    > Keal doesn't think they would do a Dil to Lobi exchange since Lobi is supposed to be the lockbox thing.

You can to this indirectly with a 7-14 day delay on PC, instantly on console: dil -> zen -> lockbox -> lobi

People want a direct method though, skipping zen & the lockbox.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited April 2022

People want a direct method though, skipping zen & the lockbox.

I wonder if many players have excess lobi that they want to trade for dil?

The zen for the dliex comes from players not Cryptic. A lobex would also need the lobi to come from players otherwise it would cost Cryptic cash money to give up the lock box sales that generates lobi now.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    >> Turning off other players visuals in space is an ongoing conversation, big issue is finding a way to turn things off, but still getting the visual information you need to know whats going on.

They still haven't bothered to listen to the players. There is NO USEFUL INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE VISUAL SPAM. They keep insisting the there is information we "need to know", and we keep saying there is not.
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    >> Turning off other players visuals in space is an ongoing conversation, big issue is finding a way to turn things off, but still getting the visual information you need to know whats going on.

They still haven't bothered to listen to the players. There is NO USEFUL INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE VISUAL SPAM. They keep insisting the there is information we "need to know", and we keep saying there is not.

Exactly this. I don't object to all the weapons fire and explosions for obvious reasons, but the buff/debuff/who-knows-what-else VFX serve no purpose but to obscure the ships we took great pains to acquire. None of it is necessary.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,524 Arc User

At the very least they could dial the transparency up on the worst ones like the plasmastorm, the Risan vortex storm, and a few other AoE hazards. Doing a pseudo-wirecage for stuff like that could maybe work too, though it would be more work to implement (and could become confusing if a lot of players piled them on top of each other).

The Farpoint ship looks interesting, I hope they do put it out as an event reward (of course I like UFO mythos ships in general, like the Lukari ones and the teaser of the Farpoint one anyway). I just hope it has something besides that hideous concrete bridge that is foisted off as a bridge all too often for event ships. I get it that the bridges are a lot of work and so it is not practical to make custom ones for every ship, but just linking existing bridges could not possibly take long enough to require having the only option a monstrosity that looks like an unfinished parking garage.

It makes sense that TAS IP is a mess since it was done in partnership with Filmation which has long been defunct and its library split up and shuffled around with fragmented IP for several decades now.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    The Farpoint ship looks interesting, I hope they do put it out as an event reward (of course I like UFO mythos ships in general, like the Lukari ones and the teaser of the Farpoint one anyway). I just hope it has something besides that hideous concrete bridge that is foisted off as a bridge all too often for event ships. I get it that the bridges are a lot of work and so it is not practical to make custom ones for every ship, but just linking existing bridges could not possibly take long enough to require having the only option a monstrosity that looks like an unfinished parking garage.

It makes sense that TAS IP is a mess since it was done in partnership with Filmation which has long been defunct and its library split up and shuffled around with fragmented IP for several decades now.

Well... we still have the Summer Event coming up...

And not only was TAS a bit of a mess, but we also had the Kzinti in there, which mucked things up even more. Although the presence of one in Lower Decks may indicate that is no longer a problem.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User

Unless you own the things that cause the effect that's blocking 90% of the screen, you don't know what's causing it. I don't get any information from a kaleidoscope.

Targeting is already horrific on console as it is.

I don't know what killed me because guess what? I couldn't see it.guess

Not to mention there's no guide as to what the 50000 or so various symbols mean in the first place.

Less is more.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User

There is useful information the problem is determining which is useful and which is not as that's a personal thing that changes player to player. Then there is the problem of atmosphere and turning off to many visuals effects. How do you determine which visual effects to remove and which to keep?

I am fully behind testing out a reduction as I think there is to much spam, the problem is working out what to turn off as I think turning them all off would be a big mistake.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,266 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Well... we still have the Summer Event coming up...

And not only was TAS a bit of a mess, but we also had the Kzinti in there, which mucked things up even more. Although the presence of one in Lower Decks may indicate that is no longer a problem.
    Well in terms in Kzinti it depends on how the agreement with the production for Picard (where they were mentioned but not shown) and Lower Decks and the rights holders (since IIRC the original author has passed on) was made. It could be a case of "you can use them in a limited capacity but only for these series", without being able to read the agreement we don't know.
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »

There is useful information the problem is determining which is useful and which is not as that's a personal thing that changes player to player. Then there is the problem of atmosphere and turning off to many visuals effects. How do you determine which visual effects to remove and which to keep?

I am fully behind testing out a reduction as I think there is to much spam, the problem is working out what to turn off as I think turning them all off would be a big mistake.

Make it player choice. An either/or won't work.

I'm not sure if it's possible but a graduated selection of what gets shown to a given player or not would likely work best.

Something like:

Your effects only.

Just ship related effects only.

The whole mess.

Naturally stuff we expect like explosions, weapons etc can stay.

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    Looking forward to the Legendary Vesta. Even though I love the ship, I'm not 100% sure I'd buy it since I already have 5 of the current 6 variants. But if it's interesting, really adds something and doesn't require purchasing a lot of useless stuff, I'll seriously consider it.

Besides that:

Good to know they haven't forgotten about the Phoenix pack. Or the MACO uniforms, I really miss those elite parts.
    Borg ship in Picard is far too big to be a playable ship. More likely that it would be something in an event/TFO like the Voth ship is

Having another attack-run kind of mission like the Breach would definitely be interesting. I know many people think it's too long - especially for events - but I've always enjoyed the Breach.

And people love shooting the Borg, so it'd probably be more popular automatically.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Exploration should be a bigger priority than it is. I know it's difficult to design something that can keep players interested for a longer period of time, but it would also bring some much needed variety to what players can do. After the Foundry was (understandably) discontinued and the randomised content taken out, there simply are fewer options in terms of different kinds of things you can do.

We used to have TFO's, battle/exploration zones, featured episodes, the foundry, patrols&exploration. Now it's just TFO's, zones and only featured episodes and some patrols that are mostly the same every time. The exploration clusters may have been simple and sometimes incoherent, at least they offered some variety and it was something simple you could do in-between if you didn't want to queue up or play a long episode.

If exploration cannot be given higher priority, at least I hope we'll see some new adventure zones soon. Also, make the patrols found throughout sector space replayable. It's readily playable content that, together with new zones, could also offer some 'new' things to do.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options

Agreed.

In fact, the more useful stuff usually has to be found out through hovering over symbols. Just a couple of days ago someone was asking whether the trait from the Inquiry could be used in combination with the one from the Arbiter.

There's no way I could've figured out that they can by looking at some visuals, because I have no idea which particular one is related to which trait.

We have symbols that are informative because there's text with them. Visual spam doesn't add anything. Even if they believe it does, just letting players decide for themselves whether or not they want to see it, doesn't hurt anyone. Cause even if it meant that players miss some information, then that would be their own choice.

• Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Kael thinks craftable ships is an interesting idea, but its such a wildly different way of ship purchasing that it could disrupt the game so hes not sure they would ever jump on that.

They used to do that with the delta flyer. Many people didn't bother with it
  • Options
    There are a few other ships that can be 'crafted'.

We have the Romulan and Reman reinforcements in the RR reputation, and there are some similar assets available in fleet stores too.

The reason they're not used, is that they're just not worth the effort and resources.

And although in this case they player isn't really using the crafting system, it does require transforming resources into progress bars, so it's basically the same thing.

Now, craftable ship parts and ship tailor unlocks would make a real difference. But I can see why they won't do that, as it would probably be too disruptive indeed.

• Options
    > @orangenee#2931 said:
    > Unless you own the things that cause the effect that's blocking 90% of the screen, you don't know what's causing it. I don't get any information from a kaleidoscope.
    >
    > Targeting is already horrific on console as it is.
    >
    > I don't know what killed me because guess what? I couldn't see it.guess
    >
    > Not to mention there's no guide as to what the 50000 or so various symbols mean in the first place.
    >
    > Less is more.

Here is somewhere to start.

Make allies' hangar pets, console pets, device pets invisible and untargetable. Basically, I dont want to know they are there because that information serves no purpose.
  • Options
    > @fleetcaptain5#1134 said:
    > Agreed.
    >
    > In fact, the more useful stuff usually has to be found out through hovering over symbols. Just a couple of days ago someone was asking whether the trait from the Inquiry could be used in combination with the one from the Arbiter.
    >
    > There's no way I could've figured out that they can by looking at some visuals, because I have no idea which particular one is related to which trait.
    >
    > We have symbols that are informative because there's text with them. Visual spam doesn't add anything. Even if they believe it does, just letting players decide for themselves whether or not they want to see it, doesn't hurt anyone. Cause even if it meant that players miss some information, then that would be their own choice.

Except we dont have that on Console. There is no way to look up active effects.
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User

One relatively minor thing that I'd like to see gone: the VFX from Brace For Impact. Only recently did I finally figure out that power, specifically, is the one turning my ships neon green (I make heavy use of keybinds; I just do not have the multitasking ability to use all my buffs otherwise). Cryptic, please: I've put a lot of resources into getting my ships looking just the way I want them to, sometimes including very expensive shield visuals. Having my ship glowing neon green for large portions of a fight is very disappointing.
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    With a legendary Vesta coming, does that mean the original models are going to get an update, like the Nova, Luna, etc.?
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    A propriety engine is out, may as well do a sequel at that point. Not going to happen, especially after the Magic fiasco.

Licenced engine? The gumperts on reddit want Unreal 5, goodbye most of the playerbase. They had enough trouble getting people off Win 7. Last gen console players would be out too.

Unreal 4? Maybe, but file sizes would be through the roof.

Hiring more staff that know what they're doing? That's the ticket. Granted they won't have the experience with this code, and a good portion will stare into it and go insane, most cost effective option though.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Looking forward to the Legendary Vesta. Even though I love the ship, I'm not 100% sure I'd buy it since I already have 5 of the current 6 variants. But if it's interesting, really adds something and doesn't require purchasing a lot of useless stuff, I'll seriously consider it.

Besides that:

Good to know they haven't forgotten about the Phoenix pack. Or the MACO uniforms, I really miss those elite parts.

Well... there's always the space barbie approach, on top of the fact you can just claim one ship to get all the gubbins rather than 5-6 separate ships just to outfit one if you want the full sets.
    Having another attack-run kind of mission like the Breach would definitely be interesting. I know many people think it's too long - especially for events - but I've always enjoyed the Breach.

The event version is too long? They made it SHORTER than the original! How is it still too long? The fact its not an instant boss fight or something?
    Make allies' hangar pets, console pets, device pets invisible and untargetable. Basically, I dont want to know they are there because that information serves no purpose.

Actually in a way it does. If a carrier is concentrating fire on a single target, and you can see the hanger pets attacking the same target, you can choose to join the attack on the same target. Not only that, being able to identify what it is means you know what they are capable of as well. Being able to capitalize on hanger pet abilities could help turn the tide, be it from Delta Flyers stripping shields with multiple Tachyon Beams to Class C shuttles slapping multiple stacks of Aceton Beam on a single target.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    We on console don't get much say in what our pets do.

Point is they get in the way, we have to press our right stick ON a given enemy as the auto targeting is garbage. Now factor in friendly destructive torps, swarms of targetable friendly pets and more fireworks going off than the whole of China can produce in a decade.......

Well we have ourselves a severely annoyed player trying to line up his torps and ending up bouncing his head off a table.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,524 Arc User
    Swapping engines is not a fast and easy thing, especially when going from a proprietary engine like Cryptic's, so if they did it would almost certainly take about three to five years of maximum effort or more while the current game languishes without updates. It is hardly surprising that Cryptic won't do it, would be too much of a gamble.

And while the engine does still have bugs, that is hardly unique. Even the much vaunted Unreal and Unity engines have bugs, it's impossible to make a software system as big as an online game and its clients without bugs. And the Cryptic engine seems solid enough, it has survived over a decade of tweaks, graphic and audio upgrades, and changing content needs surprisingly well and is much better for it.

And yes, some things are sorely in need of reworking, like the static way they have to handle the organization of the starmaps that makes exploring missions problematic, the instability when changing from one map to another, and other issues people constantly complain about for good (and sometimes not so good) reasons. There are signs that they are working on it already, including the dropping of Win7 support, which gives them access to a better compiler and much cleaner video code without the backport kludges 7 had.

They also badly need better content creation tools than the ones they sometimes show in the livestreams. That would probably have a bigger impact than anything else since it would speed up content creation, maybe even to the point where it would make custom bridges cost effective and bottle episodes that automatically adapt a 'skeleton' map to the player's ship aesthetics possible.

As for the spam, maybe the way to go would be to have some kind of tactical tags instead of the bare-eye visuals for some of the worst ones. I know that would be going against the glass-window-instead-of-a-screen thing NuTrek seems so enamored of, but what makes nice eyecandy on its own is just spam vomit that detracts from the eyecandy when too much of it is competing for attention on the screen. A sensor-eye view with practical, realistic filtering and tagging would be much cleaner and actually convey the information it is supposed to.
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Well... there's always the space barbie approach, on top of the fact you can just claim one ship to get all the gubbins rather than 5-6 separate ships just to outfit one if you want the full sets.
    >
    >
    > The event version is too long? They made it SHORTER than the original! How is it still too long? The fact its not an instant boss fight or something?
    >
    >
    > Actually in a way it does. If a carrier is concentrating fire on a single target, and you can see the hanger pets attacking the same target, you can choose to join the attack on the same target. Not only that, being able to identify what it is means you know what they are capable of as well. Being able to capitalize on hanger pet abilities could help turn the tide, be it from Delta Flyers stripping shields with multiple Tachyon Beams to Class C shuttles slapping multiple stacks of Aceton Beam on a single target.

You've got to be kidding me. 99% of enemies die so fast, by the time you are done assessing the battle field and deciding which enemy to attack based on whose hangar pets are attacking what, the fight is over.

Are you telling me I should have every hangar pet (in general every ability) memorized along with what they look like and what they can do? Or should I sit there with the wiki open and look everything up in the heat of battle?

All this is a moot point because I cant target anything anyways because when I try, 9 times out of 10 I end up targeting someone's tactical flyer squadron or some such pet.
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Swapping engines is not a fast and easy thing, especially when going from a proprietary engine like Cryptic's, so if they did it would almost certainly take about three to five years of maximum effort or more while the current game languishes without updates. It is hardly surprising that Cryptic won't do it, would be too much of a gamble.

And while the engine does still have bugs, that is hardly unique. Even the much vaunted Unreal and Unity engines have bugs, it's impossible to make a software system as big as an online game and its clients without bugs. And the Cryptic engine seems solid enough, it has survived over a decade of tweaks, graphic and audio upgrades, and changing content needs surprisingly well and is much better for it.

And yes, some things are sorely in need of reworking, like the static way they have to handle the organization of the starmaps that makes exploring missions problematic, the instability when changing from one map to another, and other issues people constantly complain about for good (and sometimes not so good) reasons. There are signs that they are working on it already, including the dropping of Win7 support, which gives them access to a better compiler and much cleaner video code without the backport kludges 7 had.

They also badly need better content creation tools than the ones they sometimes show in the livestreams. That would probably have a bigger impact than anything else since it would speed up content creation, maybe even to the point where it would make custom bridges cost effective and bottle episodes that automatically adapt a 'skeleton' map to the player's ship aesthetics possible.

As for the spam, maybe the way to go would be to have some kind of tactical tags instead of the bare-eye visuals for some of the worst ones. I know that would be going against the glass-window-instead-of-a-screen thing NuTrek seems so enamored of, but what makes nice eyecandy on its own is just spam vomit that detracts from the eyecandy when too much of it is competing for attention on the screen. A sensor-eye view with practical, realistic filtering and tagging would be much cleaner and actually convey the information it is supposed to.

We're talking about 'brand new, straight into open-beta' level of bugs in a game that's now 12 years old. There are major-feature *BUGS* almost as old as the game. It took them how many years to fix the skills-invalid bug?? Saying it has 'some' bugs is like saying a hurricane is a 'little windy.' FFS, something as basic as the *UI* doesn't work reliably, what with it outright ignoring user input all the time or frequently mishandling it. The engine is a god-awful MESS. Cryptic clings to it not because it can be salvaged -- there's nothing about it worth salvaging -- but because they spent so much time and money trying to patch it into its current state that they're loathe to admit it was all for naught, ie the sunk-cost fallacy. Fixing everything that's wrong with STO's engine would take more time and more money than just moving to an established engine with better support, documentation, capabilities, etc, etc.

It's not "sunk-cost fallacy" when they can't switch engines. Yes, okay, maybe it's "physically" possible to switch, but from a purely practical perspective? It's use the one they've got, or the game dies. Personally I'm all in favor of them keeping the game running.
  • Options
    It's not "sunk-cost fallacy" when they can't switch engines. Yes, okay, maybe it's "physically" possible to switch, but from a purely practical perspective? It's use the one they've got, or the game dies. Personally I'm all in favor of them keeping the game running.

Right. If Gearbox was willing to pay to hire a second team to create a copy of the STO engine using Unreal 4 or 5 while also paying for the existing team to keep the game running then it would be possible to switch engines. Without that, it is not.
This discussion has been closed.