test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Borticus (not subtly) “hints” at upcoming Phoenix prizes.

Comments

• Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    What else is there to spend Dil on? It's not that hard to figure it out. People going for epic tokens amass a large amount of uncommon with nothing to spend them on if their gear is maxed out.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,599 Arc User
    You know I'm glad he is looking at things.... However it sounds like he is going to make the wrong assumption here.

If there really are millions of unspent green tokens. That means no one bothered to turn them into upgrades... and use them. As in there isn't anything to upgrade.

Of course I want to see more stuff end up in phoenix. They made a mistake when they stopped putting new things in the boxes. But I would say its more important to get people upgrading gear. If there really are that many unused phoenix upgrades in the game it makes me wonder how much new gear they would have to release before people get to a point of needing more.

Perhaps its time for gear to get a somewhat expensive MK bump. lol
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,482 Arc User
    Also, before anyone makes the smart suggestion about having tokens be upgraded to the next tier, Borticus has already addressed it.

pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    They will never make a trade up option. If there are 2M green tokens lying around, those tokens could be traded up into thousands of epic tokens, completely killing the demand for boxes.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    They will never make a trade up option. If there are 2M green tokens lying around, those tokens could be traded up into thousands of epic tokens, completely killing the demand for boxes.

It would depend how they went about it. If they went the Cryptic way it'd be as bad as trying to get UU/Epic the current way, if they went our way (I'm assuming fairly reasonable) then it'd be bad for the dilex. That said I'm sure odds better than drawing a royal flush in 5 card stud (I'm exaggerating here), wouldn't hurt.

I do see Borty there mentioning odds, those things us floundering peasants don't get to know. So what difference would that mak

Only thing I can think of is moving less desirable (or obsolescent) ships down a tier or two. I would assume everybody wants the Interceptor, so that would stay at epic. Very rare might have to go rarer though.

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,557 Arc User
    I gave up trying to get the Samsar long ago, nowadays I rarely use anything but green tokens for upgrades and commendation pools, even most of the blues I get I break down into greens when I need upgrades. Very occasionally I get something from the blue or magenta tab like an admiralty card or doff, or occasionally an engine or console or whatnot to experiment with something different.

If I get an UR I just get X-upgrades, and I got a whole 2 epics since the Phoenix box thing starter (and those were on the account that I did not have a specific ship I wanted like the already mentioned Samsar for my Kobali captain).

As more of my characters reach top end the fewer upgrades I need so my buying phoenix boxes has slowed a bit. I suspect that pattern is not that unusual from what I hear from others in chat.

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,828 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Also, before anyone makes the smart suggestion about having tokens be upgraded to the next tier, Borticus has already addressed it.

Make it a steep exchange? But no they don't want things to change...they're all to happy to force people to buy dilithium if they want it in time for a sale
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

Make it a steep exchange? But no they don't want things to change...they're all to happy to force people to buy dilithium if they want it in time for a sale
    Well, that would certainly help with the dil exchange problem, wouldn't it?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Folks are discounting the interesting things that could end up in the green reward segment. Right now its upgrade tokens anyone cares about... cause who needs all the emotes on alts. But there are other interesting low level things that could go in there.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,828 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

People spending 1million dilithium for a guaranteed epic instead of 5 million for some very rares, a bunch of rares, and a ton of uncommons then giving up on the broken system?

They aren't doing anything at all to try and fix the exchange because it just feeds their greed and that is how they like it
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    jonsills wrote: »

People spending 1million dilithium for a guaranteed epic instead of 5 million for some very rares, a bunch of rares, and a ton of uncommons then giving up on the broken system?

They aren't doing anything at all to try and fix the exchange because it just feeds their greed and that is how they like it

The exchange also makes them real world $$$... There is no such thing as free Zen.

There is a handful of dedicated players constantly buying dill from other players... giving them things to spend purple rocks on ensures they keep buying purple rocks from people with zen.

Either way its Cryptic that makes the money. And keeping backsides (even free for the moment backsides) in seats increases their potential $$$.... in order to get tempted to drop $50 bucks or something at xmas you have to be playing.

No they don't want the exchange to be stuck at a month wait on sales of Dill. Having it balanced to be run in the 490-500 range with the odd ground out with a day or two wait when the big sales hit... is probably ideal for Cryptics pocketbook.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Bort: "Why aren't you using our player unfriendly system? What can we do?"

Also Bort: "Oh, before anyone asks, no we won't change a single thing and just blame you to 'not get it' as always"
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    Done properly trade-ups would be nice; I've gotten an Epic token exactly once in the four-plus years I've been in the game.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »

That depends on the ratio. A 4-for-1 of the next level up, compared to an 8-for-1, would be very different.

I personally think that regardless of what the ratio is, it would be an improvement, though, because it would give guaranteed access to the higher level tokens, rather than being completely subject to RNG.

Well the numbers would have to be a lot higher then 8 to 1. Which is why they won't do it.

Are you going to convert 1024 greens for one UR. Cause for them to go there that is about where they would need to be imo. Any less then 3-4 million Dil per gold just wouldn't make sense. It wouldn't be a sink anymore.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Isn't it the same problem why they abandoned GPL? For years there was nothing you could do with GPL. A few completionist players however just did Dabo all day long, amassing countless millions of that currency. Then Cryptic came out and said they could do nothing with GPL as everything they put in there couldn't make a dent in the stockpile and so they just let it be.

The Phoenix box is on that path right now. They stopped putting stuff in, people amassed tokens, now they feel everything they put in to do with these tokens isn't worth it.

Nothing but bundles for hundreds of dollars is worth the effort at this point.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    By some chance Cryptic actually looks at their own forums.

Trade up could still work and not devalue the larger tokens. Just scale the numbers
    Green -> Blue. 3
    blue -> purple 6
    purple -> ultra rare 16
    Ultra rare -> gold 16

This would give people a sense that they could convert greens to blues or even purples for gear without too much pain. But to pick up a gold ticket without RNG You would still need 4608 green tickets... lol (or 18million dill... but if you where opening boxes a gold ticket trade up would probably average more 7-10 million with blue and purple pulls) I don't think that is insane for Cryptic... I mean we are talking one toon ships, ships that used to be free account unlocks. Players may balk at the numbers, and I guess that is the only reason I could see for not doing it.

I mean I guess if there really are 20 million green tickets that means even with my numbers 4,340 gold tickets would be added to the game. Granted I imagine the majority of those would be on the same handful of players accounts... and not spread across everyone playing. I mean I'm sitting on 7 gold tickets right now cause I currently don't need anything in the store... so its not 100% true that the people sitting on 20 million would even care to smash them up. I stopped buying Phoenix unless I really need a few upgrades long ago but I used to have stacks of green and blue tokens as well.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,079 Community Moderator
    Honestly it sounds like they may be adding to the Phoenix Box finally.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kapustickkapustick Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I have waited for what seems like a few years for a good reason to create a new character. I have already developed each species that I want. All I see now are hideous ship model releases that are becoming increasingly more abstract and simplified art pieces that don't embody Star Trek (IMO), and I am dissappointed that both Discovery and Picard have been influenced bt them. They could be from any sci-fi show.

I want and like to create new characters. Every character I create needs EVERYTHING. Personally, I save my pheonix upgrade tokens for new characters. However, Star Trek Online doesn't offer a player who has supported the game for 11+ years and has already outfitted 40 characters to max level much. The game caters and is focused on possible new players.

I have been waiting for a "Linus" Saurian skin for what must be over 2 years. I don't even need a new species. One re-skin update of an already existing species in the game and I will spend much of my saved resources to play the game again, because I will need everything again. Each new species makes the entire game journey new for me, but there hasn't been a new species in years (at least it seems that way).

New players probably don't have resources saved, because it is so costly to outfit characters. Players that have saved resources might just be waiting for a reason to make a new character - a character/species they don't already have.

The comment made by Borticus scares me, because it inferrs that we don't like what they've created in the game. I interpret it as a message that there is not much new to come, and my wait and hope for a new journey with new character species is futile.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter

I agree! Also I very GLAD they don't allow trade-ups, the only thing I really wished is they hadn't completely IGNORED Phoenix with Mudd's Market for the last 2-3 years!

I think they need to include about 33% of Event Gear into Phoenix, even if people PREFER Mudd's Store for Account-Wide unlock!

So hopefully the UPDATE he's doing will see a few new things added, it's been a long time.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,079 Community Moderator
    IMO all event stuff should make it into the Phoenix Box. That way you can get it, but if you want the account unlock you have the Mudd option.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.