test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We Can't Name Our Starships the "Enterprise"

2

Comments

  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,070 Arc User
    Problem to me is that ZEFilms didn't produce a video on his YouTube channel with the Enterprise-D as a Dreadnought Cruiser. So I figured I might as well create that video myself, but I can't.

    How is this preventing you from playing the game and completing content?

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,676 Community Moderator
    Gallian? Like Gallia, the region of Europe named by the Romans (I think it was the Romans) occupying what is now France - and possibly some other countries?​​

    No. Gallia, as in the Principality of Gallia from Valkyria Chronicles. A neutral nation invaded by the East Europan Imperial Alliance because of their substantial Ragnite reserves. Gallia was literally wedged between the Empire and the Atlantic Federation.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 36,965 Arc User
    So, France, Russia and America, respectively.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"


    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,676 Community Moderator
    So, France, Russia and America, respectively.​​

    Nope. The Federation is basically their analog of the Allies.
    gaSBA7C.jpeg
    Gallia is the blue splotch on the northern border of the Federation and Empire
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 734 Arc User
    Amusingly enough, we also can't use registry number 69, or some variants of it. :)
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 8,401 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    I'm fine with the names, but a few of the registry numbers that are blocked are kinda annoying.

    However, it's still possible to stick a number 23 on the Risian Corvette USS Fernando Tatis Jr. so.....
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,913 Arc User
    With all the work that ZEFilms does to promote these ships for Cryptic, I am perfectly cool with them being given this perk. Doesn't bother me in the least that they can use a ship name I would never want to use myself.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • cryshalsingcryshalsing Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I'll stick with the name U.S.S. Snafu and the NXX No Effing Clue.
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,143 Arc User
    Enterpr1ze
    Enterpr!se
    3nterprize
    Enterpris3

    i dont care to use it, but i call BS on blocking names and registry numbers for whatever reason they give/gave.
    its stupid and pathetic (in my view - ymmv) to do so. its a game. its not like people can take the ship or the toons and run away with them to another game.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,567 Arc User
    Pretty normal for most MMOs I've played, to lock out "lore" names. Don't really see the issue. /shrug
  • megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    I never understood why some players are so intent on naming their ship 'Enterprise.'

    Why would you ever want to do that? The game is supposed to be about creating your own captain, your own crew and your own ship.. forging your own legacy.

    The legacy of the Enterprise is written by someone already. It's a story that's been told, nothing you do is actually part of the legacy of that ship.. you're an imposter at best.

    Show some creativity, forge your own trail instead of imitating someone else. :wink:

    ^^^^
    This³
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,070 Arc User
    ^^^^This³

    If you have ever been to a comic or Trek or any other con based on a popular IP, do you walk around scolding people there dressed up as their favorite characters for being "unoriginal?"



    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,567 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    ^^^^This³

    If you have ever been to a comic or Trek or any other con based on a popular IP, do you walk around scolding people there dressed up as their favorite characters for being "unoriginal?"

    No, because going in costume is about dressing up as your favorite character. It's not the same as making one character among thousands in an MMO.

    (i.e, you're comparing apples & oranges.)
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,070 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    No, because going in costume is about dressing up as your favorite character. It's not the same as making one character among thousands in an MMO.

    How is is different exactly? Not that I disagree mind you, just curious.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,676 Community Moderator
    I'm assuming because the characters we make in MMOs are supposed to be OUR characters and their unique story. Not the continuing adventures of Captain Kirk and the USS Enterprise.

    That would be like saying that we should be allowed to 100% be Lightning or Cloud in FF14 despite the fact our characters are "adventurers" and not the named characters of other FF games. Yea we can get their outfits and in some cases hairstyle, but that's a vanity thing. That doesn't make our characters to BE Cloud Strife or Claire "Lightning" Farron. And I don't want to be running around AS Lightning, because the story is about my character, not her. If she wants to dress up as Lightning that's ok. But CALLING her Lightning? Eh... again, why pile onto an existing story when its supposed to be your story?
    (Also my FF14 Character is a redhead Miqo'te anyways so how would you try and say she's Lightning if she's not 100% human with pink hair?)
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 36,965 Arc User
    Also because cosplay actually takes at least SOME effort whereas naming a ship after an existing famous one from any given IP literally takes 5 seconds of typing - one of these things is not like the other.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

    #LegalizeAwoo

    A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"


    "It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,070 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm assuming because the characters we make in MMOs are supposed to be OUR characters and their unique story. Not the continuing adventures of Captain Kirk and the USS Enterprise.

    Fair, however I still do not necessarily see the harm if that is what people want to do.
    Also because cosplay actually takes at least SOME effort whereas naming a ship after an existing famous one from any given IP literally takes 5 seconds of typing - one of these things is not like the other.​​

    You can go on Amazon and buy any variety of costume that can be worn to a con. Not sure that qualifies as a lot of effort either.

    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 3,613 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Also because cosplay actually takes at least SOME effort whereas naming a ship after an existing famous one from any given IP literally takes 5 seconds of typing - one of these things is not like the other.​​

    You can go on Amazon and buy any variety of costume that can be worn to a con. Not sure that qualifies as a lot of effort either.
    depending on your size and body type that can be a huge effort, for example I'm around 192 cm (around 6'4) and quite strongly built (not mention quite overweight) so finding an outfit that would fit me can be quite an effort, sure I didn't make it myself but it's not the "first thing when you walk in the store" kind of deal either.
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    My mom passed on 3 months ago, I renamed my Romulan Carrier after her now, most of the time when I get PM's, the question is "who is your ship named after" lol. Mom was Cajun.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    valoreah wrote: »
    relicthief wrote: »
    The filter should be expanded to include every known variation of Enterprise so I don't keep seeing "Enterprize" etc all over the place.

    How does what other players name their ship affect your gameplay exactly? Is it preventing you from completing content somehow?

    Problem to me is that ZEFilms didn't produce a video on his YouTube channel with the Enterprise-D as a Dreadnought Cruiser. So I figured I might as well create that video myself, but I can't.

    The .demo files are text files, you can likely edit them to change the name/registry of the ship in order to make a video using demorecord. (I know the values are in the files, I haven't tried editing them.)

    Edit: Oh, and one likely reason for certain names/numbers being unavailable, is probably due to legal stuff in the licensing agreement that Cryptic has with CBS. Seen similar things regarding a free online game based on an author's works, that actually got permission from the author, but the permission had a few strings attached, like not using any of her characters.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    Wow, the OP really touched a nerve for a lot of people with this thread. So many usually calm, rational forumites turning into rabid, arrogant, "your-play-is-bad-and-you-should-feel-bad" types, telling others they have no right to play a game as they see fit. So many people whose opinions I normally admire, expressing shock and contempt for people whose play-style varies from their own. People who are normally the champions of "play the game how YOU want".

    Not everyone wants the same thing from the game that YOU do. And that's fine. For some, the game is about combat. For some, it's the story. For some, it's all about space Barbie. For some, it's collecting as many ships as possible. For some it's about making endless bad Gorn puns. For some it's obsessively watching the Exchange (like Gomez Addams and his stock ticker), in order to become space-rich. Heck, for some, it seems to be about spamming social zones with dancing Elachi, and running and jumping in circles like a six-year-old on crack. But suppose you want YOUR play-through on one character to be a holodeck play of Captain Kirk in a what-if-Kirk-had-had-these-adventures scenario? Apparently, the Forum jumps all over you because no right-thinking person can CONCEIVE of why anyone would ever want to do such a terrible, offensive, barbaric, subversive, evil thing as that. Shock! Horror!! Outrage!!! Grab your torches and pitchforks, boys and girls; we've got us some heretics and blasphemers to chastise! I mean, it's not as if Mudd's Market has holograms of Kirk's entire crew available for you to buy and use as your own crew. Oh, wait...

    Seriously?

    "Be creative, the game is supposed to be about YOUR legacy, not someone else's". Really? Every one of "your" adventures in the game is EXACTLY the same as EVERYONE else's. We are all railroaded into making the same decisions in the same content.
    Except for the first few missions, there isn't even any difference between Klingon and Human and Romulan and Jem'Hadar.
    Everyone stands idly be while that selfish cretin Kal Dano causes a devastating temporal war, because he lets the Na'Kuhl star stay dead, rather than repairing it (like he did for his OWN people's star) BEFORE hiding the Tox Uthat. Every one of your "unique legacy" captains runs around with Sela while she ticks off the Iconians into millenia of genocidal rage. Many of your "unique, creative, individual-legacy, how-DARE-you-mimic-another-captain" captains have watched Taris get shoved off a balcony not once, but 3 times over so you can collect all the parts of the Romulan ground set (or done another of those run-the-mission-multiple-times-for-a-set episodes). And Events? Oh, very unique! Thousands of captains simultaneously doing the exact same thing 14 to 21 times in a row. And all so they can wind up with the same piece of kit as everyone else. Yes, your own special legacy. You should be so proud of your uniqueness! You are unique, just like everyone else! And then you can look down with contemptuous hauteur upon others who wish to play the game with a space Barbie option of a certain name or registry number, because that wouldn't be their unique legacy.

    Please!

    Or, you know, you could just say, "That's not how I want to play the game, but someone else does. To each his own. Vive la difference! Infinite Diversity In Infinite Combinations." Hmm, now where have I heard that one?

  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,913 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Wow, the OP really touched a nerve for a lot of people with this thread.

    Not at all. Some of us posted our opinion, nothing more.

    The only one who seems to have been set off by all this is you, that entire post is a huge over reaction.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 55,676 Community Moderator
    Not at all. Some of us posted our opinion, nothing more.

    The only one who seems to have been set off by all this is you, that entire post is a huge over reaction.

    I have to agree with this. We're not the ones being triggered and going REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Not at all. Some of us posted our opinion, nothing more.

    The only one who seems to have been set off by all this is you, that entire post is a huge over reaction.

    I have to agree with this. We're not the ones being triggered and going REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

    It's as if someone's mother got slapped. :D

  • startrek414347#9616 startrek414347 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Problem to me is that ZEFilms didn't produce a video on his YouTube channel with the Enterprise-D as a Dreadnought Cruiser. So I figured I might as well create that video myself, but I can't.

    How is this preventing you from playing the game and completing content?

    That is not only already done but far from the point as well.
  • startrek414347#9616 startrek414347 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    The .demo files are text files you can edit with the NotePad, eh? That actually solves the problem. Thank you.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Wow, the OP really touched a nerve for a lot of people with this thread.

    Not at all. Some of us posted our opinion, nothing more.

    The only one who seems to have been set off by all this is you, that entire post is a huge over reaction.

    Really? It is difficult to get tone out of text sometimes, so maybe I missed your (and others) intent, but quite a few of these posts came off sounding arrogant and contemptuous. Starting with this one of yours, in fact:
    I never understood why some players are so intent on naming their ship 'Enterprise.'

    Why would you ever want to do that? The game is supposed to be about creating your own captain, your own crew and your own ship.. forging your own legacy.

    The legacy of the Enterprise is written by someone already. It's a story that's been told, nothing you do is actually part of the legacy of that ship.. you're an imposter at best.

    Show some creativity, forge your own trail instead of imitating someone else. :wink:
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    Agreed. At best, that sounds presumptuous and borderline arrogant to me. STO is about creating your own original captain and crew, not about impersonating those that already exist in the canon.
    foxman00 wrote: »
    "Your not the captain of the Enterprise. Choose your own ship name not tied to the hero ship and forge your own idenity and story".
    As Boimler said in Lower Decks: "Alright, you know what's shameful? Trying to build a persona by copying other captains. You think Riker did that? You guys are wasting your time on this Redshirt stuff. Be your own captains!"

    Those all sounded aggressively judgmental to me. Again, perhaps I misread the tone, but taken collectively, it sounds very out of character for the normally reasonable people involved.

    So STO is SUPPOSED to be about... Choose this... Don't do that... Did anyone shame Data for playing as Sherlock Holmes on the holodeck? "Data, create your own detective. The holodeck is supposed to be about originality, not about impersonating those that already exist in the canon.. Show some creativity, forge your own trail instead of imitating someone else. You're not Sherlock Holmes."

    Did anyone shame Picard for playing as Dixon Hill, instead of creating a new detective?

    STO isn't "about" anything except Star Trek. Any player can play as he or she chooses, and it's not up to us to tell them it's right or wrong. Unless, of course, they are violating the EULA, stealing someone's account, using hate speech, etc. If someone wishes to play as Kirk (or Spock, as Paradox does, or any other canon character) that's their business, and is no more scorn-worthy than Data's Holmes RP.

    I've never played Kirk, but I have a Mirror Pike (created long before Disco), a Kor and a Koloth. I also have 8 other captains who aren't based on characters from the series. So I can see both sides of play styles. And I'm not arguing for or against either. I was just taken aback by the very judgmental tone coming from the usually reasonable crowd here. If I misinterpreted you or anyone else, I apologize. But rereading those posts still comes across to me as people telling other people what is the "right" and "wrong" way to play.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,913 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Those all sounded aggressively judgmental to me. Again, perhaps I misread the tone, but taken collectively, it sounds very out of character for the normally reasonable people involved.

    Sorry man, but that's your issue not mine. You opted to read it that way and then over react, that's not on me. What I said was perfectly harmless, I said that I don't understand why someone would want to do something. I never insulted anyone, never called for any action against them and never passed any judgement on any person because of it.

    You just opted to take it that way.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    Picard and Data were playing the adventures of an existing literary character. In STO you play a character that has its own story. To me, using an existing character makes no sense in the context of that story unless it's a hologram or clone.

    I don't care how anyone else wants to play STO, though I reserve to right to /facepalm if I see a Captain K1rk flying the Enterpris3. :p
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,913 Arc User
    psymantis wrote: »
    I don't care how anyone else wants to play STO, though I reserve to right to /facepalm if I see a Captain K1rk flying the Enterpris3. :p

    Yep.. this exactly! :smiley:
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
Sign In or Register to comment.