test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We Can't Name Our Starships the "Enterprise"

https://www.youtube.com/c/ZenasExpeditionaryForce/search

ZEFilms apparently purchased this item o' some kind a long time ago which allowed him then to name a few of his starships the "Enterprise" and give each one its registry number according to the ship it was. But now? We can't do that.

But will that option be available again?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    We've NEVER been able to use the name 'Enterprise' or the registry '1701' for our ships, ever. The videos made by ZEFilms probably involved some form of help from Cryptic CMs.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    They have a deal with Cryptic for showing off new ships and things - getting in cozy with a game company obviously brings perks that regular players don't get (as it should, as that relationship had to be built up over years of them showing themselves to be a trustworthy partner), as does being a developer for that company...like being able to have a Scimitar with pilot maneuvers.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    For the most part, names of hero ships are locked out. Examples of these include
    • Enterprise
    • Defiant
    • Voyager
    • Titan

Discovery isn't on that list because STO was out long before Star Trek Discovery came out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I never understood why some players are so intent on naming their ship 'Enterprise.'

Why would you ever want to do that? The game is supposed to be about creating your own captain, your own crew and your own ship.. forging your own legacy.

The legacy of the Enterprise is written by someone already. It's a story that's been told, nothing you do is actually part of the legacy of that ship.. you're an imposter at best.

Show some creativity, forge your own trail instead of imitating someone else. :wink:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    I never understood why some players are so intent on naming their ship 'Enterprise.'

Why would you ever want to do that? The game is supposed to be about creating your own captain, your own crew and your own ship.. forging your own legacy.

The legacy of the Enterprise is written by someone already. It's a story that's been told, nothing you do is actually part of the legacy of that ship.. you're an imposter at best.

Show some creativity, forge your own trail instead of imitating someone else. :wink:

I have to agree as well. Seeing that many variants of Enterprise etc people name their ship i think the same thing.

"Your not the captain of the Enterprise. Choose your own ship name not tied to the hero ship and forge your own idenity and story".
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User

Agreed. At best, that sounds presumptuous and borderline arrogant to me. STO is about creating your own original captain and crew, not about impersonating those that already exist in the canon.
  • relicthiefrelicthief Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    The filter should be expanded to include every known variation of Enterprise so I don't keep seeing "Enterprize" etc all over the place.
    Ancient Alien.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    Well yeah I have plenty of Original Characters with their own ships, However as a special treat I'm currently playing the game as Spock and rest of the Crew from TOS, I even have a Kirk BOFF, it fits the game and it feels like watching episodes of TOS.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

Agreed. At best, that sounds presumptuous and borderline arrogant to me. STO is about creating your own original captain and crew, not about impersonating those that already exist in the canon.
    As Boimler said in Lower Decks: "Alright, you know what's shameful? Trying to build a persona by copying other captains. You think Riker did that? You guys are wasting your time on this Redshirt stuff. Be your own captains!"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    I love my main Captain, He's original, I gave him Vulcan names but made sure he had the same initials as me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »

While I do not necessarily disagree, the notion that the legacy of the Enterprise is somehow finished is incorrect. Were this true, there was no need for TNG to be aboard the Enterprise because Kirk and crew already wrote the legacy of the ship. Plenty of letters left in the alphabet for the next Captain and crew to forge their own destiny and continue the next chapter of the Enterprise legacy.
    That's what Va'kel Shon is doing with USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-F.

Meanwhile, Grunt is making a name with RXS Latinum Queen, just as Hsriall is with IKS Nightclaw and my alter ego is with USS Lorna Wing.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    31st Century had the Enterprise-J, which has one of the worst ship designs to date it's even worst than 32nd century ships of Discovery, the Enterprise doesn't deserve a legacy after J, I don't want it ruined any further.
    edited October 2021
    31st Century had the Enterprise-J

The Enterprise-J is from the 26th century, not the 31st. It's a pretty common misconception, but the Universe class was not from as far into the future as many believe.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-J)
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    That said, I wonder what suffix is the Enterprise in the 31st century.

It'd be darkly hilarious if Starfleet hoped the Enterprise-X would manage to stay active until the 32nd century to celebrate 1 millenium of starships Enterprise and all the alphabet... only to have it unceremoniously blow up during the Burn.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    edited October 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    31st Century had the Enterprise-J

The Enterprise-J is from the 26th century, not the 31st. It's a pretty common misconception, but the Universe class was not from as far into the future as many believe.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-J)
    Yeah - to be honest, depending on when the Enterprise-J launched, it potentially leaves quite a small lifespan 'gap' between the ships named Enterprise between the F and the J.

Yep, the gap could be anywhere from 91 years to 190 years. When I realized that I decided to switch my Universe class captain from the 32nd Century uniform to a modified version of the All Good Things uniform.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • byakko#2978 byakko Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Simple if we could used their names every ship be named them.
    Simple if we could used their names every ship be named them.

Mine would not.

There would probably be a lot more than there are now though, I know I'd be tempted to name my Kirk class the Enterprise-Z if I could.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I actually had this come up not too long ago... there's a fan-made audio series set on the U.S.S. Excelsior-C, a Sovereign class - based on a roleplaying ship from waaaaay back. (I was one of the first captains of that particular RP, if not the first; the guy who runs the show ran the ship at the time I came back, some years later.) He had actual screenshots with the name and registry in-game. I asked him how... he used the demo recorder. "You save the file, then you can go in and change almost anything" was what he told me.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    So what? If that is what makes you happy and keeps you playing, more power to you.

Unless its by CBS Decree, then... SOL.
    My main's running around in the USS Melchiott, named after a Gallian hero of the second Europan War. *points at forum avatar*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    Gallian? Like Gallia, the region of Europe named by the Romans (I think it was the Romans) occupying what is now France - and possibly some other countries?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • startrek414347#9616 startrek414347 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    relicthief wrote: »
    The filter should be expanded to include every known variation of Enterprise so I don't keep seeing "Enterprize" etc all over the place.

How does what other players name their ship affect your gameplay exactly? Is it preventing you from completing content somehow?

Problem to me is that ZEFilms didn't produce a video on his YouTube channel with the Enterprise-D as a Dreadnought Cruiser. So I figured I might as well create that video myself, but I can't.
    Gallian? Like Gallia, the region of Europe named by the Romans (I think it was the Romans) occupying what is now France - and possibly some other countries?​​

No. Gallia, as in the Principality of Gallia from Valkyria Chronicles. A neutral nation invaded by the East Europan Imperial Alliance because of their substantial Ragnite reserves. Gallia was literally wedged between the Empire and the Atlantic Federation.
This discussion has been closed.