test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playable Terrans coming?

Comments

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Terrans (Renegade Terrans) could be added to Star Fleet faction, by way of the DIS Klingons in the KDF.

Instead of body based somewhat on the alien body, like the DIS Klingons were, Renegade Terrans could have alternate traits to differentiate them from Prime Timeline humans.

Free traits mean virtually nothing...all that effort just to add some new traits? People wanting a Terran faction...why? When EVERYTHING is available to make one? Just to cheap to buy any of the Terran uniforms?

For me when it comes down a Terran faction it's the dialogue options and interactions with Leeta, I love it when Games acknowledge my character's race and background and plays along with it, it's those neat little things, that I enjoy about this game.

The uniforms would be the cherry on top, but it's the little things like dialogue that makes it worthwhile, even if your dress you federation character up as a Terran, the game itself will still recognize you as a fed.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Terrans (Renegade Terrans) could be added to Star Fleet faction, by way of the DIS Klingons in the KDF.

Instead of body based somewhat on the alien body, like the DIS Klingons were, Renegade Terrans could have alternate traits to differentiate them from Prime Timeline humans.

Free traits mean virtually nothing...all that effort just to add some new traits? People wanting a Terran faction...why? When EVERYTHING is available to make one? Just to cheap to buy any of the Terran uniforms?

For me when it comes down a Terran faction it's the dialogue options and interactions with Leeta, I love it when Games acknowledge my character's race and background and plays along with it, it's those neat little things, that I enjoy about this game.

The uniforms would be the cherry on top, but it's the little things like dialogue that makes it worthwhile, even if your dress you federation character up as a Terran, the game itself will still recognize you as a fed.

Even if they did a Terran Empire subfaction the chances are that 99% of the dialog and choices in the game would still treat the character as the generic default, which is pretty much Fed, or as the main faction the subfaction belongs to which would be the "blue" faction which is still Fed.

It is nice when they have intelligent dialog/choices, but the fact is it is rather rarely done.
  • imelchori42imelchori42 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    a terran recruitment event like the delta, gamma and temporal recruits could work.
    edited September 2021
    If the Discovery Klingons didn't get their own (they actually have unique effects) I don't see a reason why Terrans would get one.

thats because $TD doesnt count and their klingons are ugly as hell.

is anyone even playing them?
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Remember 40k, most of the factions were evil and along comes the Federation Tau Empire aka the one good guy faction and the huge backlashed that followed, people don't care if they're playing on the good side or bad side all that matters to them is the side with the humans, at least that's how it is most of the time.

I hope that Trek fans are wired differently than 40k fans. In gaming there is some crossover, but I don't see parity between the two. The "average" 40k fan isn't the "average" Trek fan. Even the STO forums aren't as awful as 40k fandom boards.

battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    I wonder if it would be possible to have a mission where you encounter your mirror universe counterparts. Essentially basic preprogrammed enemies at your level, but using your team face data to simulate the mirror versions. It could start something like "I was wondering if I would ever meet you once I heard of your arrival"

Well, given the end of Firewall, that's pretty much a guarantee.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I wonder if it would be possible to have a mission where you encounter your mirror universe counterparts. Essentially basic preprogrammed enemies at your level, but using your team face data to simulate the mirror versions. It could start something like "I was wondering if I would ever meet you once I heard of your arrival"

It has to be possible, doesn't it?

I mean, every character's appearance is in the game, so the game should be able to read it and reproduce it.
    And whatever gear, skills, abilities, etc., our captain and away team have are things that the game "knows".

Players are superior to the AI, but if they buff them up (more damage, better heals, smaller cooldown on abilities, etc) then they could make it a better fight, and any time that a character fights "themselves" it should absolutely be a compelling fight.

That would be my biggest thing. If it was a quick and easy fight it would be such a letdown that I would probably prefer random Mirror redshirts.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Remember 40k, most of the factions were evil and along comes the Federation Tau Empire aka the one good guy faction and the huge backlashed that followed, people don't care if they're playing on the good side or bad side all that matters to them is the side with the humans, at least that's how it is most of the time.

I hope that Trek fans are wired differently than 40k fans. In gaming there is some crossover, but I don't see parity between the two. The "average" 40k fan isn't the "average" Trek fan. Even the STO forums aren't as awful as 40k fandom boards.

Only because of censorship and extra protection of certain groups of people above others. Though it depends on what you benchmark for the term "awful." I would say that there are certain aspects in the Star Trek fandom that are just as bad, if not worse than the 40k.
    Most people would want to play heroes since it means getting to play as the protagonists, society has a massive hero complex, personally I perfer being the villain, I've known how it is like to rejected by society just for being different than the Norm, and I too had plotted world domination in the past, I'm currenty on break due to Covid, and sure good guys get appraised and accepted and always get the girl, however villains get the best weapons and the best costumes, they're just really cool, we don't need the power of friendship since we're capable of doing everything ourselves.

I don't know if I'd go that far...in SWTOR the Sith Empire is typically more popular...in WoW The Horde is generally more popular. (I don't care what people say, having two genocidal warchiefs makes them almost evil in my eyes, especially with how the accepted it completely the second time)

In 40k, there are no real "good guy factions." Even the Tau Empire utilizes mind control via the Ethereals(with heavy punishment for wrongthink) and forced sterilization among those they conquer. There are inspiring characters for most of the factions, sure. Lots of heroes and heroines abound. It's the same way in Warhammer Fantasy, and other various grimdark settings(such as Battletech).
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

Even if they did a Terran Empire subfaction the chances are that 99% of the dialog and choices in the game would still treat the character as the generic default, which is pretty much Fed, or as the main faction the subfaction belongs to which would be the "blue" faction which is still Fed.

It is nice when they have intelligent dialog/choices, but the fact is it is rather rarely done.

That's because Cryptic's devs don't have the creativity capability, or resources to write or develop gameplay with dialogue and agency options. They're all stuck in the Federation Uber Alles mentality(they have been for at least a decade), and unable to write even antagonists/villains well. All the players are railroaded from behind, and pushed down one path.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    My Fed main has a Terran costume slot and ship for years (back when the MU Sovy was hip) for when I'm in the mood to have her be her Terran self; when shes not shes serving under herself as a Boff that costumed and named properly to reflect shes my Terran mains self. Defected years ago.

Don't click unless played the recent episode
    But apparently she got Thomas'ed at some point before she gave the empire the finger. I fear Missy will have some explanation to do at some point in the future ;)
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User

It has to be possible, doesn't it?

I mean, every character's appearance is in the game, so the game should be able to read it and reproduce it.
    And whatever gear, skills, abilities, etc., our captain and away team have are things that the game "knows".

Don't bet on it. Ever seen the load menu? Take a look at your characters there. Are they even carrying your weapons? Or faction generic ones? And a lot of cut-scenes are just as sloppy. Old ones didn't used to be though. Things are just sloppier now.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User

Like Phoenix said, the way the game works, when you join a faction you're practically treated like one of them...and once you get to the point where they dropped Fed/KDF/RR and started doing Alliance missions...you'd still be treated the same.

Besides even as a prime Fed, you still do lots of killing lol
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Terran Emperor Lorca?

Lorca is dead. Or at least, mirror Lorca is dead (and he would've been the one with the ambition for the throne and the lack of scruples that came with it). It's long been speculated that prime Lorca wouldn't have lasted five seconds in the mirror universe, but as we haven't seen the body... still, I wouldn't think his morals would invert that quickly.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    edited September 2021
    BTW Cryptic needs to update their DSC Terrans medical uniforms, in Discovery the Terran Empire's medical division colour is red instead of white.
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Pretty sure I saw on a devstream they said CBS would never allow it, nor did they like the idea of playable space 1942 germans (word censored)
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
    edited September 2021
    Pretty sure I saw on a devstream they said CBS would never allow it, nor did they like the idea of playable space 1942 germans (word censored)

How is the Terran Empire Space 1942 Germans aside from the salute, the Terran Empire seems to be more based on Soviet Russia, everything for Emperor Stalin, and the motherland (earth), a closer allegory to space 1942 germans would be either the Na'kuhl, the Vaadwaur, the Cardassians or that space german planet from TOS.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    More like Space Romans.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited September 2021
    culber came back from a snapped neck via spores, lorca can come back, its like a comic book, anyone can come back

no kidding. its not like discovery ever had smart writing.

both $TD and picard cant even keep consistency in their own stories. thats not even touching in how they dont even care to keep the story in line with the rest of the trek universe.

a few comic book tropes are the peak of what theyre capable of.
    edited September 2021
    culber came back from a snapped neck via spores, lorca can come back, its like a comic book, anyone can come back

both $TD and picard cant even keep consistency in their own stories. thats not even touching in how they dont even care to keep the story in line with the rest of the trek universe.

in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Captain Kirk and McCoy resurrected a dead Spock with the genesis device.
    edited September 2021

in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Captain Kirk and McCoy resurrected a dead Spock with the genesis device.

classic trek has a few moments of bad writing between a lot of good.

what good does discovery have between all of its bad? or even worse, the picard show?

its funny you hear peole defending discovery constantly mention that the first 2 seasons of TNG and DS9 were terrible and most people didnt like them when they aired for the first time.

but the difference is, they got really good after two seasons, to the point where some of the best episodes are used as educational material in colleges and universities, and TNG itself spawned the trope of "growing a beard".

discovery is three seasons in, it started bad and and it somehow managed to get progressively worse.

picards literally only target audience is TNG fans, while it at the same time tries to be the exact opposite of TNG and tries to purposely antagonize TNG fans lmao. read some of the interviews with the producers. theyre killing off characters in gory fashion just to TRIBBLE TNG fans off who liked them. the only possible people who are the only who would be interested in that show. amazing business model.
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    i thought Cryptic in no uncertain terms said that there would never be a playable Terran faction. Or has something cast doubt on that now?
    gQytlm7.jpg
    edited September 2021

classic star trek had a few bad moments between all the good moments. the best episodes were even so good, that some of them are used as educational material at colleges and universities.

it inspired entire generations of engineers and scientists to persue their fields.

$TD started out bad and progressively got worse. can you honestly compare $TD at its best with older trek shows at their best? $TD at its best is classic trek at its worst moments.

i wont even get into picard lmao. the show whos only possible target audience is TNG fans and thats deliberately made to not be TNG as much as possible. if you read through some of the interviews, then they even killed off some of the characters in such a gory fashion, because they wanted to mess with and antagonize the people who liked them. the same and ONLY people who could possibly be invested in this show.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    i thought Cryptic in no uncertain terms said that there would never be a playable Terran faction. Or has something cast doubt on that now?

In my experience with MMOs, devs who say "never" end up taking it back SOMEWHERE down the line, so...
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »

In my experience with MMOs, devs who say "never" end up taking it back SOMEWHERE down the line, so...

true. unless its about ships being in the c-store. then the never always seems to apply XD
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

I never understood why McCoy's neck pinch didn't work...it wasn't a Vulcan only thing, because Data and Seven could do it.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    Because he's arthritic - he couldn't apply the necessary force needed.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,331 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »

Except Firewall effectively backs-up the 'never happening' in this case.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
This discussion has been closed.