test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming Changes to Minimum Requirements

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Updated OS and DirectX requirements will be in place starting February 15, 2022. Please read the blog for more details.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497603

As of today, players who do not meet these requirements will not longer be able to patch or play Star Trek Online.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    edited September 2021
  • lordkasulordkasu Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    How about you do what better developers do, and let people at least try to log in with their older OS, instead of simply blocking it. I just spent money on the game, and I instantly regret it now. 8 and 10 are bad OSes, and I will not use them. I want my money back.
  • jo4play#4282 jo4play Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    If this affects the way the game will run for all of us in a good way, this is a sacrifice we have to make
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 835 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    lordkasu wrote: »
    How about you do what better developers do, and let people at least try to log in with their older OS, instead of simply blocking it. I just spent money on the game, and I instantly regret it now. 8 and 10 are bad OSes, and I will not use them. I want my money back.
    I'm not docking people for choosing what they want to use, but the OS requirement change lines up with which versions of DirectX are supported as well as EOL support for the older OS's. In going to newer versions of DirectX, that's a bit of a driving force behind that change. Windows 7 and earlier don't support the newer versions of DirectX. At this point in time, all OS's before Windows 8 are now past end of life and don't have support. Windows 8 will probably hit EOL next year with 8.1 soon to follow. The same thing happened when they ended Windows XP and Vista support years ago. To go to newer versions of DirectX with the game, they had to change those requirements as the older OS's didn't support the changes. This is nothing new, and it won't be the last time this happens as long as they're continually upating the game.

If this were a stand-alone game, then retaining older OS support would make sense. With a smaller dev team and not a lot of resources, I understand this stance from a dev standpoint. Sometimes to get ahead, you have to move on from the old to get something new. If the resources aren't there for both, they have to make the choice of either improving what they have or keeping things the same. In this case, I believe they chose to keep improving what they have, and @jo4play#4282 makes a valid point. If this is for the betterment of the game, this is a sacrifice we have to make for the greater good.
    westmetals wrote: »
    in re: the video cards... how do we know what is considered "or better" in regards to the specific video cards quoted?

i.e. I have a GTX 1050, but I don't know if that is considered "better than" a 400....

And I can't check the manual as I bought this in June 2018 and no longer have the manual.
    Best thing I can say is to maybe go look the card specs on nVidia's website. The laptop I'm currently playing off of is also a GTX 1050. I'll probably read more into this this evening, but my gut wants to say we should be fine.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Hmm... the first time I reluctantly consider a switch. But then Win11 is already announced so... I might sit it out till more info on that one is out. W8/10 still just comes with too much suck to switch just for fun...
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    How can we tell what level of Direct3D our device supports? I have Windows 10, and my computer runs the game just fine right now, but I don't have a fancy video card.

Edit: Does dxdiag tell me what I need to know? It says I can run "Direct3D DDI 12".

Edit: For anyone else wondering, hit windows key+r, just type dxdiag, and maybe that's what you need?
  • latheralathera Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    how about waiting after the insanity with the video card prices is over to be rid of the older DX support? or better yet move to vulkan api and be done with.
    as for the os thinking of supporting linux eventualy in some way will benefit all
  • undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Good grief, folks. These new specs were industry standard YEARS ago. This is the current definition of a potato. I've been using Win10 since release with no problems, and the video and DX specs match a card I had 8 years ago. Software developers are not required to cater to decade-old hardware, nor can they. A $150 refurbished workstation from Lenovo can be bought from Walmart.com and it will run this easily. STO is not exactly bleeding edge, but it IS in danger of becoming a dinosaur.

Get it into your heads: Win7 and before, and DX 10 and before, are no longer supported by ANYONE. To expect it from a 3rd party game developer is insane. So either upgrade or learn Linux emulation.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
  • pomeroycolleypomeroycolley Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Good grief, folks. These new specs were industry standard YEARS ago. This is the current definition of a potato. I've been using Win10 since release with no problems, and the video and DX specs match a card I had 8 years ago. Software developers are not required to cater to decade-old hardware, nor can they. A $150 refurbished workstation from Lenovo can be bought from Walmart.com and it will run this easily. STO is not exactly bleeding edge, but it IS in danger of becoming a dinosaur.

Get it into your heads: Win7 and before, and DX 10 and before, are no longer supported by ANYONE. To expect it from a 3rd party game developer is insane. So either upgrade or learn Linux emulation.

^^ This.

It's not like they're asking us to build a new $5000 system to play the game so they can move into the future. They're just letting us know that if your system can't meet a way out of date industry spec standard, then you won't be able to play the game going forward. I actually have two 8 year old GPUs laying around the house that are D3D 11 compatible. If you're stressing about it, go buy an old GTX 680 on ebay for $100, that'll fix you right up.
  • bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    in re: the video cards... how do we know what is considered "or better" in regards to the specific video cards quoted?

i.e. I have a GTX 1050, but I don't know if that is considered "better than" a 400....

And I can't check the manual as I bought this in June 2018 and no longer have the manual.
    The GTX 400 Series was released in 2010, a few months after the Launch of STO! Your GTX 1050 is better, Using the base GTX 1050 at least 50% better than the best GTX480 series card.

The AMD Minimum is even older.. 2009.

While the Intel Graphics is newer, being around 2012 from what I can tell, you'd have to be playing on a laptop or on a non-gaming PC to be using that.

I personally think the Minimum specs aren't about how well STO runs on this specs, this is the weakest hardware that has the features STO needs.
  • lordkasulordkasu Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    You don't have to support it, just don't be a DBag and prevent people from even trying. I have other titles that say 10 is the minimum, and they run on 7 flawlessly. They are also far more demanding pieces of software than STO performance wise.
    You don't have to support it, just don't be a DBag and prevent people from even trying. I have other titles that say 10 is the minimum, and they run on 7 flawlessly. They are also far more demanding pieces of software than STO performance wise.

They may have had to if they're going to have a Pure DX11 pipeline, which just will result in Crash to desktop (or worse) if the hardware isn't supported.
  • pertunepertune Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Hey Cryptic Here's a Thought, What if some people can't afford a 10 upgrade or there hardware can't support 10's ridiculous Hardware Requirements of 4 GB of ram just for the OS on top of STO's 8 GB for "Optimum" (Memory-Leaking AF) Performance ?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User

The 400 series is from 2010. Your GTX 1050 from 2018 supports all the way up to DX12 - so you've no issue there.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User

Allowing Windows 7 PCs to even do anything over the internet is a HUGE security hole. MS hasn't supported Windows 7 or done further Windows 7 security patches for TWO YEARS.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • lokharnolokharno Member Posts: 56 Arc User

Specs for the GTX 10-series can be found here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/10-series/

The 1050 supports DirectX 12 with feature level 12_1, so you should be fine.

• vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Just checking with those more tech savy than me; will I be OK with my intel UHD 620 graphics card in the new year?

A quick check reveals that the intel 4000 HD graphics card was released in 2012 whilst the intel 620 UHD graphics card was released in 2017. Further, tentative checks indicate the 620 UHD is much better. But confirmation would be nice.
  • bloomoombabloomoomba Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Well, all I can say is "I'm glad I guess that my computer died almost two years ago"... because otherwise, this'd cut me out entirely too. Also, I can say I'm thankful I have 'Pro' level on Windows so I don't have to worry about the bass-ackwards "BTW, we're rebooting your machine NOW" that comes with W10. Because I'd rather an OS that is usable without daily reboots for incidental OS tweaks than one that does, but we'll have to see if they've learned how to not do that when they unveil W12 in a few years (yes, I am aware W11's not out yet)
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User

Google?
    vosoros wrote: »
    Just checking with those more tech savy than me; will I be OK with my intel UHD 620 graphics card in the new year?

A quick check reveals that the intel 4000 HD graphics card was released in 2012 whilst the intel 620 UHD graphics card was released in 2017. Further, tentative checks indicate the 620 UHD is much better. But confirmation would be nice.

It supports DX12, should fine.
    pertune wrote: »
    Hey Cryptic Here's a Thought, What if some people can't afford a 10 upgrade or there hardware can't support 10's ridiculous Hardware Requirements of 4 GB of ram just for the OS on top of STO's 8 GB for "Optimum" (Memory-Leaking AF) Performance ?

Win 10 is free. It's 2021, a hardware requirement of 4GB is not ridiculous.

You have to move on from DOS eventually.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    My laptop barely makes it AND I will not buy a new laptop cause a game wants to change all the compatability.
    LAPTOPS ARE EXPENSIVE - money doesnt grow on trees! You is gonna loose lots of players with older equipment.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Stupid Question:

How do we check our graphics card?

NVM: Figured it out... the earlier poster on WIN+r > dxdiag helped... apparently I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti... I think that fits the description...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Stupid Question:

How do we check our graphics card?

NVM: Figured it out... the earlier poster on WIN+r > dxdiag helped... apparently I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti... I think that fits the description...
    And you're good, btw. It's actually newer than the 1050, and I think you can still buy them new.. Assuming you could find it in stock!
  • jniebaumjniebaum Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    If this affects the way the game will run for all of us in a good way, this is a sacrifice we have to make

Hope your willing to add "playerbase" to that needed to be made sacrifice.
This discussion has been closed.