test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming Changes to Minimum Requirements

123468

Comments

  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    There has been a trend of late in games adding calls for the geoip location components in windows 10 just to spy/track players activity to make money via selling your habits, location etc. Its pretty disturbing. In the old days there would of been widespread backlash. Not today though.

    Today when someone points these requirements out its "windows 10 is what you have to run, its what I run so you have to run it" in place of wait a minute I like windows 10 and all but why are you requiring that geolocation stuff????

    THIS is what privacy and security are REALLY about.

    If you used Windows 10, you would know you can turn all of that off. They offer you the choice to do that, and have done so for a number of years now. Windows 11 offers the same thing. You can opt in or out of it.

    But as I've said before: if you want to continue to use a depreciated OS, that's your choice.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    There has been a trend of late in games adding calls for the geoip location components in windows 10 just to spy/track players activity to make money via selling your habits, location etc. Its pretty disturbing. In the old days there would of been widespread backlash. Not today though.

    Today when someone points these requirements out its "windows 10 is what you have to run, its what I run so you have to run it" in place of wait a minute I like windows 10 and all but why are you requiring that geolocation stuff????

    THIS is what privacy and security are REALLY about.

    If you used Windows 10, you would know you can turn all of that off. They offer you the choice to do that, and have done so for a number of years now. Windows 11 offers the same thing. You can opt in or out of it.

    But as I've said before: if you want to continue to use a depreciated OS, that's your choice.

    Your not understanding how its being used. Windows has an off option for location data. But when a program uses it inside itself via calling the function your choices are ignored.

    One example of a recent program using this is outriders. It wont run unless it can call that function. Took awhile to make a work around for that one.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    There has been a trend of late in games adding calls for the geoip location components in windows 10 just to spy/track players activity to make money via selling your habits, location etc. Its pretty disturbing. In the old days there would of been widespread backlash. Not today though.

    Today when someone points these requirements out its "windows 10 is what you have to run, its what I run so you have to run it" in place of wait a minute I like windows 10 and all but why are you requiring that geolocation stuff????

    THIS is what privacy and security are REALLY about.

    If you used Windows 10, you would know you can turn all of that off. They offer you the choice to do that, and have done so for a number of years now. Windows 11 offers the same thing. You can opt in or out of it.

    But as I've said before: if you want to continue to use a depreciated OS, that's your choice.

    Your not understanding how its being used. Windows has an off option for location data. But when a program uses it inside itself via calling the function your choices are ignored.

    One example of a recent program using this is outriders. It wont run unless it can call that function. Took awhile to make a work around for that one.

    Took a while to find out what you are talking about, and I return to a previous point: this is spurious argument.

    Don't assume that you are the only intelligent person on the forums, or that your level of knowledge is higher than everyone else's. Plenty of tech heads use Windows 10 without running and screaming for the hills. As I've said before: if you want to continue to use a depreciated OS, that's your choice.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    There has been a trend of late in games adding calls for the geoip location components in windows 10 just to spy/track players activity to make money via selling your habits, location etc. Its pretty disturbing. In the old days there would of been widespread backlash. Not today though.

    Today when someone points these requirements out its "windows 10 is what you have to run, its what I run so you have to run it" in place of wait a minute I like windows 10 and all but why are you requiring that geolocation stuff????

    THIS is what privacy and security are REALLY about.

    If you used Windows 10, you would know you can turn all of that off. They offer you the choice to do that, and have done so for a number of years now. Windows 11 offers the same thing. You can opt in or out of it.

    But as I've said before: if you want to continue to use a depreciated OS, that's your choice.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    There has been a trend of late in games adding calls for the geoip location components in windows 10 just to spy/track players activity to make money via selling your habits, location etc. Its pretty disturbing. In the old days there would of been widespread backlash. Not today though.

    Today when someone points these requirements out its "windows 10 is what you have to run, its what I run so you have to run it" in place of wait a minute I like windows 10 and all but why are you requiring that geolocation stuff????

    THIS is what privacy and security are REALLY about.

    If you used Windows 10, you would know you can turn all of that off. They offer you the choice to do that, and have done so for a number of years now. Windows 11 offers the same thing. You can opt in or out of it.

    But as I've said before: if you want to continue to use a depreciated OS, that's your choice.

    Your not understanding how its being used. Windows has an off option for location data. But when a program uses it inside itself via calling the function your choices are ignored.

    One example of a recent program using this is outriders. It wont run unless it can call that function. Took awhile to make a work around for that one.

    So...you claim that windows 10 isn't private or secure because outriders won't work without the location data...and than you admit there is a workaround...which DOES mean that windows 10 is private and secure if you know what you are doing.

    The work around doesnt change what the game was trying to do with a component of windows 10. Also I didnt say windows 10 wasnt secure or anything else.

    What I said was that there is no reason to "try" to make people not use windows 7 for this game.

    My main complaint with windows 10 in itself is its flat UGLY to look at compared to 7. Everything since it has been a slow downgrade in visual quality but that has nothing to do with this discussion.

    Windows 10 is fine once I took away its ability to install updates or anything else without MY permission. I run the drivers I want to run and the software I want to run.

    But again there is no reason that a game such as sto would need to force users not to use windows 7.

    As others have mentioned in this thread they should spend more effort fixing the current bugs. Risa event graphics might be a good place to start. The load required for that on a machine is pretty sad but I just chuck it up to the game never really has done well with ground stuff. Those problems have been around since beta.... Though the load went thru the ceiling with this years risa even vs last years so something got messed up since last year.

    But my main point in all of this still is if a machine and its OS can do all of the functions required to run the game the developer has no legitimate reason to try and stop a user from logging in and playing the game whatever they are using. Be it windows 7, mac or a toaster oven.

  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Windows 10 is fine once I took away its ability to install updates or anything else without MY permission. I run the drivers I want to run and the software I want to run.

    Which is exactly the way it runs currently. That's the point. You haven't kept up to date with things, so your comments are based on...

    Forget it. No point is there? What ever I say it's always going to be Win 7 good, Win 10 bad. The "I'm not prepared to change because it looks different" I let slide, but this?

    Good luck living in the ill-informed past. The rest of us will stop bothering you.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Windows 10 is fine once I took away its ability to install updates or anything else without MY permission. I run the drivers I want to run and the software I want to run.

    Which is exactly the way it runs currently. That's the point. You haven't kept up to date with things, so your comments are based on...

    Forget it. No point is there? What ever I say it's always going to be Win 7 good, Win 10 bad. The "I'm not prepared to change because it looks different" I let slide, but this?

    Good luck living in the ill-informed past. The rest of us will stop bothering you.

    I have no idea wtf your babbling about. I RUN windows 10.

    Im pointing out there is no reason to prevent windows 7 users from running the game.


  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 3,760 Arc User
    Actually, one reason not to officially support windows 7 is the support issue itself. If they continue to officially support it that means they have to have people troubleshooting bugs that happen on Win7 machines but not Win10 machines because of the differences in the implementation of D3D 11between the two OSs.
  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Actually, one reason not to officially support windows 7 is the support issue itself. If they continue to officially support it that means they have to have people troubleshooting bugs that happen on Win7 machines but not Win10 machines because of the differences in the implementation of D3D 11between the two OSs.

    Not supporting it makes perfect sense. Banning it from playing doesnt.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 854 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »

    Not supporting it makes perfect sense. Banning it from playing doesnt.

    You clearly have no idea how idiotic that statement is.

  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 3,318 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Actually, one reason not to officially support windows 7 is the support issue itself. If they continue to officially support it that means they have to have people troubleshooting bugs that happen on Win7 machines but not Win10 machines because of the differences in the implementation of D3D 11between the two OSs.

    Not supporting it makes perfect sense. Banning it from playing doesnt.

    ha. you can play to your hearts content on WIN7 as long as it works. but once you have an issue, and you validate you have WIN7, it SoL for you and all others.

    so in connection to your post. no, they will no longer support WIN7 and what, DX10? if your rig, or others' still launches and runs the game, sweet. no one is banning anyone anywhere.
    meh

  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Actually, one reason not to officially support windows 7 is the support issue itself. If they continue to officially support it that means they have to have people troubleshooting bugs that happen on Win7 machines but not Win10 machines because of the differences in the implementation of D3D 11between the two OSs.

    Not supporting it makes perfect sense. Banning it from playing doesnt.

    ha. you can play to your hearts content on WIN7 as long as it works. but once you have an issue, and you validate you have WIN7, it SoL for you and all others.

    so in connection to your post. no, they will no longer support WIN7 and what, DX10? if your rig, or others' still launches and runs the game, sweet. no one is banning anyone anywhere.

    I think this ...
    As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

    Not being able to log in or patch the game is pretty clear on the not being able to play the game aka banning them.

  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Now if this is poorly worded and it really means

    "If you dont have d3d feature level 11 the launcher will close and you cant login or patch the game. But we dont support windows 7 but that will not cause the launcher to close and not allow login or patching."

    Then I dont see a problem at all. But their post says windows 7 will cause it to close or d3d feature level being less than 11.

  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Not being able to log in or patch the game is pretty clear on the not being able to play the game aka banning them.

    You're trying to inflame a situation that doesn't need it. No one is being banned from the game. If they use a supported OS they will have no issues.

    It was a massive mistake to equate "discontinued support" with "banning."
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,950 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Actually, one reason not to officially support windows 7 is the support issue itself. If they continue to officially support it that means they have to have people troubleshooting bugs that happen on Win7 machines but not Win10 machines because of the differences in the implementation of D3D 11between the two OSs.

    Not supporting it makes perfect sense. Banning it from playing doesnt.

    ha. you can play to your hearts content on WIN7 as long as it works. but once you have an issue, and you validate you have WIN7, it SoL for you and all others.

    so in connection to your post. no, they will no longer support WIN7 and what, DX10? if your rig, or others' still launches and runs the game, sweet. no one is banning anyone anywhere.

    I think this ...
    As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

    Not being able to log in or patch the game is pretty clear on the not being able to play the game aka banning them.
    Well, technically speaking: If you don't have a DirectX 11 capable computer, the game simply can't run anymore at that point. Because you don't have the soft- and hardware components the game needs to run. That the launcher informs you about this and then closes is kinda a mere courtesy, they could just let you try to start and then see the game crash and then you can try to figure out what's wrong on your own.
    It's not "banning" you. Because if you log in with your account with a computer that satisfies the minimum requirements, you can play.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Not being able to log in or patch the game is pretty clear on the not being able to play the game aka banning them.

    You're trying to inflame a situation that doesn't need it. No one is being banned from the game. If they use a supported OS they will have no issues.

    It was a massive mistake to equate "discontinued support" with "banning."

    Discontinued support doesnt cut it when you block someone from running your game with the hardware they have. There isnt inflaming. Its called FACTS.

    If the hardware cant run it aka gives a crash or windows error then that might fall under discontinued support.

    Forcing the program to close because of some lame version check is not the same thing.
    superdutyz wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Actually, one reason not to officially support windows 7 is the support issue itself. If they continue to officially support it that means they have to have people troubleshooting bugs that happen on Win7 machines but not Win10 machines because of the differences in the implementation of D3D 11between the two OSs.

    Not supporting it makes perfect sense. Banning it from playing doesnt.

    ha. you can play to your hearts content on WIN7 as long as it works. but once you have an issue, and you validate you have WIN7, it SoL for you and all others.

    so in connection to your post. no, they will no longer support WIN7 and what, DX10? if your rig, or others' still launches and runs the game, sweet. no one is banning anyone anywhere.

    I think this ...
    As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

    Not being able to log in or patch the game is pretty clear on the not being able to play the game aka banning them.
    Well, technically speaking: If you don't have a DirectX 11 capable computer, the game simply can't run anymore at that point. Because you don't have the soft- and hardware components the game needs to run. That the launcher informs you about this and then closes is kinda a mere courtesy, they could just let you try to start and then see the game crash and then you can try to figure out what's wrong on your own.
    It's not "banning" you. Because if you log in with your account with a computer that satisfies the minimum requirements, you can play.

    Windows 7 HAS directx 11.
    Windows 7 has all of the components required to run the game if its just a matter of directx 11.

    The launcher/patcher doesnt do directx anything. So if the launcher closes because they dont see windows 8 or higher then its the launcher not letting someone play. Not the machine in question being able to play it or not.

    Again windows 7 can do directx 11 just fine. There are some directx 12 titles that run on windows 7 too.

    Checking for directx version and quitting would be fine. Shutting down and not allowing someone to play just because the version of windows isnt what they like doesnt make much sense to say the least.


  • colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    I'm sure these changes will improve performance. With fewer players to stress the hamster, the servers will run much smoother.
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

    This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,676 Arc User
    edited September 25
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Windows 7 HAS directx 11.
    Windows 7 has all of the components required to run the game if its just a matter of directx 11.

    Incorrect.

    You are confusing the DirectX version with the Feature Level, they are not the same.

    Windows 7 does not natively support DirectX Feature Level 10 regardless of your current installed DirectX Version. Yes, there is an add on that adds Feature Level 10 support to Windows 7 and yes it does work.. mostly. There are still issues with Windows 7 and using Feature Level 10 in certain drivers, the issues can appear with nVidia, AMD or even Integrated graphics chips. Many Windows 7 users might never have a problem with this, everything might work fine and that's great. But the best way to ensure compatibility is to make sure everyone is running a native feature level 10 or greater.

    The issue isn't that Windows 7 can't do it, it's that potential problems exist that Cryptic likely just doesn't want to have to trouble shoot. They don't wish to spend their time trying to fix nagging issues that will occur because a small subset of the player base is running a non native feature level. Does it mean Windows 7 can't do it? Nope.. it can.. with some work. Work that Cryptic doesn't want to do.

    Either way, the point is moot.. you can rage about it all you want, but come February your choice is upgrade your OS or stop playing Star Trek Online. Arguing with people on the forum won't fix it and Cryptic isn't going to back down.

    Claiming that you are being 'banned' just makes your argument look disingenuous and you should not persist with that argument. It's silly and I suspect you realize that.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Directx version the windows 7 machines I have here is 11
    DDI version on them is also 11.

    Ran into this when path of exile upgraded a few months ago. Tons of people ran into problems with the game suddenly not loading after a patch. The directx requirement went up to 11. Its all graphics card related as to what you can and cant do feature level wise not the os.

    If you run dxdiag and see directx 11 but ddi version 10 then your running directx 11 but your card cant do but 10 feature level.
    The ddi is the feature level.

    Again all of the machines I have running here that have windows 7 on them have directx 11 and ddi 11 so they have feature level 11.

    I have one machine here that isnt used anymore that has windows 7 on it but has a very old video card. I think its a gtx 500 or something. Anyways it has direct x11 but its ddi is 10.1. So its feature level is 10. It wouldnt meet the requirements to run a pure directx title that required 11.

    The other machines here are full directx 11.

  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Also the banning part that is being harped on is not what I originally said. I didnt say a user is getting banned over it. I said "banning it" reffereing to windows 7 being barred/banned from running their game.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Also the banning part that is being harped on is not what I originally said. I didnt say a user is getting banned over it. I said "banning it" reffereing to windows 7 being barred/banned from running their game.

    Windows 7 is not being banned - again you are misusing langue to try and make something out of nothing. Windows 7 support will be discontinued as of Feb 2022. Even Microsoft has stopped support for Windows 7 - they haven't banned it, they have stopped supporting it.

    There is a distinction.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • superdutyzsuperdutyz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Also the banning part that is being harped on is not what I originally said. I didnt say a user is getting banned over it. I said "banning it" reffereing to windows 7 being barred/banned from running their game.

    Windows 7 is not being banned - again you are misusing langue to try and make something out of nothing. Windows 7 support will be discontinued as of Feb 2022. Even Microsoft has stopped support for Windows 7 - they haven't banned it, they have stopped supporting it.

    There is a distinction.

    As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Also the banning part that is being harped on is not what I originally said. I didnt say a user is getting banned over it. I said "banning it" reffereing to windows 7 being barred/banned from running their game.

    Windows 7 is not being banned - again you are misusing langue to try and make something out of nothing. Windows 7 support will be discontinued as of Feb 2022. Even Microsoft has stopped support for Windows 7 - they haven't banned it, they have stopped supporting it.

    There is a distinction.

    As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

    So they won't be supporting Windows 7 (which even Microsoft don't support), and you'll have to upgrade to access the game.

    Not a ban.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,480 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Also the banning part that is being harped on is not what I originally said. I didnt say a user is getting banned over it. I said "banning it" reffereing to windows 7 being barred/banned from running their game.

    Windows 7 is not being banned - again you are misusing langue to try and make something out of nothing. Windows 7 support will be discontinued as of Feb 2022. Even Microsoft has stopped support for Windows 7 - they haven't banned it, they have stopped supporting it.

    There is a distinction.

    As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

    Even if they are capable of getting your point they apparently are not willing to. Based on past experiences on other forums: save your time and energy for something more worthwhile. Some ppl simply get too excited by rejecting your valid claims on why you prefer one OS over another; explaining why is just fodder for arguments for the sake of arguments.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,676 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Also the banning part that is being harped on is not what I originally said. I didnt say a user is getting banned over it. I said "banning it" reffereing to windows 7 being barred/banned from running their game.

    Windows 7 is not being banned - again you are misusing langue to try and make something out of nothing. Windows 7 support will be discontinued as of Feb 2022. Even Microsoft has stopped support for Windows 7 - they haven't banned it, they have stopped supporting it.

    There is a distinction.

    As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

    Even if they are capable of getting your point they apparently are not willing to. Based on past experiences on other forums: save your time and energy for something more worthwhile. Some ppl simply get too excited by rejecting your valid claims on why you prefer one OS over another; explaining why is just fodder for arguments for the sake of arguments.

    This is fair.

    There is nothing wrong with preferring something like Windows 7 over a current OS like Windows 10. Everyone likes different things, and if Windows 7 is something that someone prefers to use.. who are any of us to say it's wrong? It's like when you play a game differently then others and they claim you're having fun 'wrong,' it's silly.

    But the fact is, that those that prefer Windows 7, while not 'wrong' won't be able to partake after the February update. Which OS is better is an irrelevant argument, all the points are moot.. Windows 7 won't be supported and that's that. The best options (in my opinion) that I have seen for people that still want that Windows 7 experience are:

    1. Dual Boot system. Use Windows 7 for your 'daily driver' and have a Windows 10 partition for games that require it. This involves a certain level of technical proficiency that might deter some players. For them, see option 2.
    2. Upgrade to Windows 10 and use something like Classic Shell to skin the OS to mimic Windows 7. This is a free program you install in Windows 10 and it lets you run Windows 10 while maintaining the look and functionality of Windows 7. I have used it before, it's good.. real good. You honestly can't tell that it's not Windows 7.

    Classic shell combined with something like Shutup 10 will let you have the Windows 7 experience while turning off any tracking features you find objectionable in Windows 10. It might not be ideal for some that just want to stay on 7 forever, but sadly these are your options. Cryptic isn't going to change course and arguments over which OS is better are fruitless and have no real purpose.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 3,318 Arc User
    superdutyz wrote: »
    superdutyz wrote: »
    Actually, one reason not to officially support windows 7 is the support issue itself. If they continue to officially support it that means they have to have people troubleshooting bugs that happen on Win7 machines but not Win10 machines because of the differences in the implementation of D3D 11between the two OSs.

    Not supporting it makes perfect sense. Banning it from playing doesnt.

    ha. you can play to your hearts content on WIN7 as long as it works. but once you have an issue, and you validate you have WIN7, it SoL for you and all others.

    so in connection to your post. no, they will no longer support WIN7 and what, DX10? if your rig, or others' still launches and runs the game, sweet. no one is banning anyone anywhere.

    I think this ...
    As of February 15, 2022, STO and NW will no longer be supporting Windows 7 or a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level less than 11. Players who do not meet the updated requirements will get a pop-up over the launcher indicating this and the launcher will close automatically when clicking OK. It will not be possible to log in or patch without upgrading.

    Not being able to log in or patch the game is pretty clear on the not being able to play the game aka banning them.

    since its an unknown, what launcher? the exe launcher or arc? or both?

    i get it, but some savy peeps will more than likely find a way around it.

    so it is not a ban. its a highly offered position that stats "minimum" reqs to play the game. if you dont want to meet them, fine, they are not banning you, you are at that point self-banning.

    carry on.
    meh

  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,676 Arc User
    since its an unknown, what launcher? the exe launcher or arc? or both?

    The launcher is the same regardless of if you use Steam, Epic, Arc, or stand alone.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    A good rule of thumb about Nvidia cards is that the last two digits are the speed within the series, and anything to the left of that is the base series number. If you chop those last two digits off the 400 series is 4 and the 1050 that so many people seem to have here is 10, and 10 is higher than 4 so you're good.

    The real problem is years away, when Microsoft kills Windows10 because Windows 11 requires circuitry that is touted as being "safer" (easier for Microsoft to extort money from users more like, but beside the point here) that the vast majority of computers today lack.

    I would prefer if the game went to the open-standard, cross-platform Vulkan instead of the rapaciously proprietary and locked to a single OS DX system, but incremental changes are often cheaper than switching to an entirely different one so that is unlikely to ever happen unfortunately.

    The only reason I put up with windows anymore is gaming, and Microsoft makes sure that they have a near-monopoly on that sector by breaking backwards compatibility often enough that cross-platform developers cannot keep up.

    Agreed with Vulkan.

    The digit numbering is valid for AMD also, not only for nV.

    And don't worry, they will not cut-off DX from W10 in favor of 11.
    They will have to think of another extorsion method this time.

Sign In or Register to comment.