What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upcoming Changes to Minimum Requirements

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    greatgoogly347greatgoogly347 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I cant get my star trek to load. It the server offline? My computer is more than enough to handle these upgrades. Fixes?
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    My laptop barely makes it AND I will not buy a new laptop cause a game wants to change all the compatability.
    LAPTOPS ARE EXPENSIVE - money doesnt grow on trees! You is gonna loose lots of players with older equipment.

Exactly!
    are they going to start giving out free hardware & software?

I can't even get to the launch page, it just keeps spinning and spinning and doesn't load up. My computer is more than enough to handle any of these updates lately. Any fixes?

Please post this in the PC Gameplay Bug Reports forum under Support and not here as well as your OS + specs. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    cutedge242cutedge242 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    People keep saying things about "why are they killing Windows 7, there is no reason" and I think there is some missing technical details that explain some of these decisions.

In order to build a windows executable, you use one of a number of software development kits (SDK) from Microsoft. Before Windows 7, DirectX was itself in it's own SDK. This has been deprecated in favor of the Windows SDK which includes DirectX in it. The legacy DirectX has not been updated for a year (2/10/2021) and the notice on the microsoft download site in fact says: "The system headers in this legacy DirectX SDK are newer than the Windows 7.1 SDK, but older than system headers in the Windows 8.x SDK, Windows 10 SDK, or later."

So this is going to cause some problems, because basically the DirectX SDK is not going to match elements of the new Windows SDKs going forward. The Windows SDK not only has the DirectX already, but additionally undoubtedly gives them access to a number of other systems they need (DirectInput, Audio APIs, etc).

So really Microsoft is forcing everyone's hand here, and it's not even like they are doing it maliciously. It has just hit their end of life period.
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    cutedge242 wrote: »
    People keep saying things about "why are they killing Windows 7, there is no reason" and I think there is some missing technical details that explain some of these decisions.

In order to build a windows executable, you use one of a number of software development kits (SDK) from Microsoft. Before Windows 7, DirectX was itself in it's own SDK. This has been deprecated in favor of the Windows SDK which includes DirectX in it. The legacy DirectX has not been updated for a year (2/10/2021) and the notice on the microsoft download site in fact says: "The system headers in this legacy DirectX SDK are newer than the Windows 7.1 SDK, but older than system headers in the Windows 8.x SDK, Windows 10 SDK, or later."

So this is going to cause some problems, because basically the DirectX SDK is not going to match elements of the new Windows SDKs going forward. The Windows SDK not only has the DirectX already, but additionally undoubtedly gives them access to a number of other systems they need (DirectInput, Audio APIs, etc).

So really Microsoft is forcing everyone's hand here, and it's not even like they are doing it maliciously. It has just hit their end of life period.

Win 7 didn't last as long as windows xp, thier reason likely has to do with two reasons, push new products, reduce investment into making security updates to win 7.
  • Options
    cutedge242cutedge242 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    To be fair they probably only supported xp as long as they did because vista was a huge trainwreck and there was a lot of pushback against adoption of it, especially by enterprise customers.
  • Options
    While I don't agree with the Cryptic cutoff of Win 7, I want to stress I only opposed it during the omega event. I have no problem if they cut support after the event. It would allow those who still use windows 7 and don't have the needed daily requirements to claim before win 7 support is gone.

So NO I DO NOT WANT win 7 support beyond the Omega Event/12th anniv, even though some thought I wanted it to go on forever, I didn't, just said get us through the event then stop, just silly to do it in the final week of the event. Also if problems cropped up they would after the omega event in 6 or 7 days and it won't hurt anyone. I don't deny I am expecting issues for the closing of win 7 simply as they wanted to do it the hard way of during an event.
  • Options
    krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Me with my tinfoil hat on-
    It's all about add tracking and selling stuff. It's about throwing more materialistic junk in front of your eyes to spend more money on things we really don't need. I type into google to look up anything, like i needed the torque specs for some cylinder head bolts the other day, and my wife gets torque wrenches for sale all over her face book. Then a day or so later she asks me if i needed a new torque wrench. I said why, and she said because her face book keeps trying to sell her one. I said lol i had looked up torque specs the other day. We don't even use the same emails and yet somehow they figured out how to notify her that i was looking up torque specs. All the power of technology and this is whats its used for. Spend spend spend buy buy buy! lol. So there's windows 10 and 11 in a nut shell.
  • Options
    natasha#7907 natasha Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Updated OS and DirectX requirements will be in place starting February 15, 2022. Please read the blog for more details.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497603

As of today, players who do not meet these requirements will not longer be able to patch or play Star Trek Online.

I guess it must be easier to get rid of PC players than fix the cobbled together code that STO for PC runs on. Have you got a timeline (two years?) for when the rest of us PC users will be gone and you can concentrate on consoles or move it to a mobile platform? Not impressed.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    krisxr400 wrote: »
    Me with my tinfoil hat on-
    It's all about add tracking and selling stuff. It's about throwing more materialistic junk in front of your eyes to spend more money on things we really don't need. I type into google to look up anything, like i needed the torque specs for some cylinder head bolts the other day, and my wife gets torque wrenches for sale all over her face book. Then a day or so later she asks me if i needed a new torque wrench. I said why, and she said because her face book keeps trying to sell her one. I said lol i had looked up torque specs the other day. We don't even use the same emails and yet somehow they figured out how to notify her that i was looking up torque specs. All the power of technology and this is whats its used for. Spend spend spend buy buy buy! lol. So there's windows 10 and 11 in a nut shell.

It isn't a tin-foil hat situation (nor a conspiracy), if you used the same machine. Google or one of the other web sites probably put a cookie on your machine that said you were looking at something that had to do with torque wrenches, and therefore you might be in the market to buy a new one. Unless you use two different accounts on your computer the cookie wouldn't know who was using it and so would put those targeted adds up on any page with the blanks for it (which Facebook definitely does).
  • Options
    weybenweyben Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I have GTX 1060 and i will not change it
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    weyben wrote: »
    I have GTX 1060 and i will not change it

Your card supports DX12 and will probably be fine until at least when Windows 10 Sunsets in 5-7 years. The GForce 400 series, which looks like the most recent/most powerful card to be Sunset released in 2010.
This discussion has been closed.