test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quick question: Torpedoes: High Yield or Spread?

gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
Has anyone done a comparison between?:
  • Torpedoes: High Yield II
  • Torpedoes: Spread II

What's best for overall DPS?
screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,598 Arc User
    depends. if there is more than one target, TS. only one target, probably HY, since all the torps go to the same shield. the mechanic was originally designed that HY hit the facing shield/hull, TS some of the torpedoes delayed detonation to hit the side and rear faces.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    No reason for an either or here. :)

Just slot HY and get the free spreads from ETM starship trait via CSV and BFW.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Trait:_Entwined_Tactical_Matrices
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User

That is great for whales who can drop $30 for a trait, not so practical for anyone else.
  • Options
    I kind of like the sound of that!

• Options
    edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    I mostly use spread, mainly because of one thing: Entwined Tactical Matrices.

While this trait is slotted, activating Beams: Fire at Will or Cannons: Scatter Volley causes your next torpedo attack to be a Torpedo Spread. Activating Torpedo Spread causes you to gain Beams: Fire at Will and Cannons: Scatter Volley for a short duration.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    > @gfreeman98 said:
    > I kind of like the sound of that!

If you like look up this guide:

https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/m8q29x/rangerrenzes_general_guide_to_kinetics_volume_2/

Should have all the bis stuff for a good torpedo build highlighted.

I fly two similar setups atm with absurd numbers compared to energy weapons. For most elite maps torps seem to be the way to go atm.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    There isn't a hard and fast answer. It depends a lot on what you are fighting, the rest of your build, etc. HYT can be devastating, but only to one target, and is often overkill on weak targets. Spread obviously spreads the love around, but that usually means its hitting shields, and is always inferior to HYT against high HP boss type targets. However what else are you using in the build also matters, BOFF powers, traits and so forth.

I would say generally think about where you want more power in your build, AOE or single target. Lacking other factors, that is what it boils down to most.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I'd say it largely depends on the torpedo and the rest of your setup.

General Quantum torps typically go nicely with torpedo spreads due to their relatively high base damage. The Gravimetric torpedo also does very nicely with torpedo spread due to its chance of proccing multiple mini-wells.

Meanwhile, something like the Omega Torpedo and the 8472 Bio-torp are absolutely devastating with High Yield. Firing one of those off into a well placed gravity well can completely obliterate entire swarms of enemies with a single hit.

As a side note, you can get alternative access to these firing modes via traits(ETM), crafted mods(Spr), and even boff abilities(Concentrate Firepower).
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    > @gfreeman98 said:
    > I kind of like the sound of that!

If you like look up this guide:

https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/m8q29x/rangerrenzes_general_guide_to_kinetics_volume_2/

Should have all the bis stuff for a good torpedo build highlighted.

I fly two similar setups atm with absurd numbers compared to energy weapons. For most elite maps torps seem to be the way to go atm.

I've wanted to try torp boats, but then I remember the amount of investment it takes to make that worth a darn and decide against it. Nearly all the important and best traits are lockbox- or lobi-sourced and quite pricey no matter how you slice it. Certain equipment items are as well (except for the torps, obv). So after spending on those traits and equipment, it'll also only be for a *single* captain. That does not endear itself to me.

I wouldn't say it's quite that bad. Any of the min/maxed builds can come with a sticker shock - be it torpedo, energy weapons, exotic damage, or even heal builds.

Radiation-torp builds are very comfortable with primarily reputation and mission gear. Sure, there are a handful of things will really make it scale to the absurd, but again, that's true of pretty much any kind of build. The days of easily slapping together a competent transphasic build may be gone, but torp/mine/projectile builds are still perfectly functional without the bleeding edge traits to support them.
  • Options
    While there is often a huge price gap between a best in slot item and substitute the performance gap is much smaller.

Fed side I’d start with ceaseless momentum from exchange, etm, strike from shadows, promise, sniper and cold hearted. Most stuff here is zen or from past events.

As for gear torp build also feed heavily from fleet and rep gear. It’s more or less only a matter of dil to get the stuff and upgrade it. 90% can’t be re used when converting from an energy build but if one waits for an upgrade weekend it can be done.

Im happy the game moved away from the faw or go home meta and I took my time the past half decade to reflect the diversity we have now on my chars. Cannons, torps, epg and beam overload builds all work great nowadays with faw ending up to be the weakest choice. :)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    With BOffs being able to train in all skills... no reason to have to choose between one or the other. Train your BOff in both, play with both, and decide which you like better IMO.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    On my stealth plasma bomber, I go HY all the way, but that build is very specialized for HY plasma torps.

On pretty much every other build I go with spread.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Gravimetric Torpedoes, Plasma-Emission Torpedoes and Quantum Phase Torpedoes tend to get more out of Spread, and since this are three torpedo types I use often, Torpedo Spread it is.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    @garaffe you using a normal Plasma or the Hyper Plasma?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

That is great for whales who can drop $30 for a trait, not so practical for anyone else.

But it's a c-store ship, it's not that expensive, also, they give away a lot of T6 coupons... well, not a lot, but still..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Torpedoes: Spread iii or ii is what i go with. Hitting targets with more torpedoes for more damage. Plus hitting a few more ships for xp is good too.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I use both HY and Spr when I have the room for both, it is good for flexibility, and I often use crafted torpedo launchers with the SPR modifier, especially when I TAC slots are in short supply.
  • Options
    dixon#4204 dixon Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    Spread. Simply because it makes you feel awesome!
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »

HIGH YIELD, BABY! IT'S A REAL BOBBY-DAZZLER!! DEFINATELY A TOP-POCKET FIND!!! =D

Yes sir. If you're like me, you're rolling with a 40% CHANCE-to-CRIT. It's the only way to fly.
    "Make phasers and photon torpedoes ready, Mister Worf!"
    ---Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »

Some Torpedo work better in spread and some work better in High Yield. Personally I prefer High Yield as I find I can do more AoE damage to multiple targets and more powerful hits to single targets with HY over Spread. But it really comes down to what type of torpedo you are using.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The fact that this topic keeps on being a matter of discussion is really remarkable. I suspect the op is already having fun in game. :D
    animated.gif
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    @garaffe you using a normal Plasma or the Hyper Plasma?

All manner of plasma torp: hyper, omega, particle emission, big red, little red, you name it.
  • Options
    vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Each torpedo have special modes that are exclusively enabled by each skill differently, MKI and MKIII also make differences, sometimes MK I is actually better, sometime high yield does better AoE damage. You need to be extra specific, like what torp you use and want you want to achieve with it.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    It's mostly situational...only one thing that sets them apart...are you using a torpedo boat? HY torps have a chance to proc PWO's but Spread torps don't
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The fact that this topic keeps on being a matter of discussion is really remarkable. I suspect the op is already having fun in game. :D
    I am!

I've got the ship I've always wanted (T6-X Connie) all fitted out with Epic gear. I have all the Reps maxed, and Admiralty tours completed. (Still working on doing Endeavors at Rank 228.)

I just finished getting my Bridge Officers sorted out: All 4 Ground BO with 2 Superior Traits each. Same story for Space. (Other than Leadership not too much overlap.) The last piece is optimizing Space Skills, hence my question here.

Thanks all! I'm going to save up to get the Gagarin Battle Cruiser just to try out that Starship Trait.

• Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Both. Some high yeild hits and area and some spread can be made to concentrate in to small areas. There is that one command skill that pops out tons of high yeilds. Add that to enhanced tactical matricies. Then add more spam abilities and 3 torps with 8 second timers approx. and -1 second per shot with the 5 second torp. Or those small 2-2.5 second torps. Several of which come from the lobi store and are expenseive.
This discussion has been closed.