test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's your thoughts of the Year of Klingon

Comments

• Options
    alanya1979alanya1979 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I was just hoping they would fix kdf faction access to empire defense missions; my kdf romulan gets them but my legendary bundle klingon and my kdf jem'hadar do not...even though i have verified that a romulan with these missions can share them with the other two.
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    I've been enjoying YoK.
    Even more so now that we finally got to expose J'mpok's corruption. This has been a long way coming. I just hope we get to kill him ourself.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    I've been enjoying YoK.
    Even more so now that we finally got to expose J'mpok's corruption. This has been a long way coming. I just hope we get to kill him ourself.

I get what you mean, but some players didn't get that he was corrupt, so to them his betrayal came completely out of left field, but I think there are some old threads I can resurrect talking about his turn to the dark side.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Didn't have enough KDF ships. Was hoping for more Sci Vessels, Carriers, and Raptors throughout YoK, but that didn't happen. At least most of the mission rewards were worthwhile.
  • Options
    volticuavolticua Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Hm, my thoughts about YoK? They rework First City and leave flying pad at air in medlab :D
    pad1.jpgpad2.jpg
    And who stole Klingon shipyard again? Beam button in opposed side of shipyard :(
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Didn't have enough KDF ships. Was hoping for more Sci Vessels, Carriers, and Raptors throughout YoK, but that didn't happen. At least most of the mission rewards were worthwhile.

The are probably going with Antaak's dialog in ENT where he reminisces about back when the Klingons cared for things like science instead of just battle. That said, it would have been nice if the devs had at least added the Klolode-class costume to the D7 (the version from TAS with the torpedo tube pushed forward) since it seems to be the science-oriented version of the D7 from the way the cartoon presented it (it was the testbed for things like the stasis weapon and cloak for instance).
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    3 out of a possible 5

We got a legendary D7 but it was the worst specialty and in the same year we get an event which gives us the Disco D7 for free (a far superior ship).

We got HMS Bounty, sorry legendary B'rel in a stupidly overpriced bundle but was inferior to the free alliance raider.

We got an interesting and fun new storyline and missions but had the original post-tutorial Klingon missions gutted. The Mars assault mission is a lame joke compared to the original.

We got a decent recruitment event. No criticism on that one.

We FINALY got decent hair options for Klingons

Yeah, 3 out of 5.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    1/10. Would've gladly done withouth, considering that it did absolutely nothing but botch things up.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Can't really draw a conclusion until the current plot arc ends. So far, I have nothing that gives me cause to complain.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I honestly can't think of anything that I would say was done exceptionally well.
    Missions were not good.
    Not very many ship releases.
    Recruitment was full of flaws.
    Tutorial/Klingon story missions are good now, not great, but good.
    New TFOs are boring.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    My Biggest problem is with its ending.
    L'Rell being the leader of the empire is just frustrating and idiotic
    she has NO idea what the galaxy is like in the 25th century and she should not in way lead the empire it feels like a forced narative to bring a discovery character (who had little value in the series i might add) into the fold, i mean what next will Burnam take over starfleet, this is the 25th century not the 23rd ffs.

I know many may feel like this is a attack on discovery but it isnt, i like discovery but i do not feel it should be forced into the narative as much as it has right now, not to mention her future involvment entirly depends on the actress being avaliable for recording.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    All things considered, it was better than I expected.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    mrlostsoul#1950 mrlostsoul Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    I refuse to play YoK. I've always hated J'Ula's character design. The little I've seen of Disco, J'Ula would not be a leader you want for the Klingons, when there is an alliance with the Fed. I think they should have made Martok chancellor. I see Martok as a leader open to the alliance. Let J'Ula and J'mpok kill each other. Besides, J'Ula is from the past, forget time travel. It's not believable that J'Ula would be involved in Klingon storyline. I hate the changes made to Qo'noS. The logic of the doors coming from the floor is dumb. I hope no one is crossing the threshold if the door malfunctions.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    I'm glad it's (nearly?) over.

While I'm not opposed to some love for the part of the playerbase who like Klingons, most of YoK feels too unoriginal (Klingons shooting at each other because they can't solve their issues like a mature, space travelling civilisation would? Wow, never seen or heard about that before!). On top of that, it feels like Discovery content had to be crammed in too. It was as much the Year of Discovery as it was the YoK.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Good thing J'ula isn't the leader then - L'rell is.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Still seems like a missed opportunity for Fed-Klingons, they're TNG Klingons that serve starfleet, they're basically everything Disco Klingons like J'Ula hate, they get 0 Klingon hair options like their KDF counterparts and have 0 unique Klingon racial dialogue during YoK, it's like the Devs forgot that these Klingons also exist in game.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    I really liked it overall. It brought us a lot of cool Klingon design overhauls, both for ships and uniforms, character design like hair.
    I also overall like the new storyline, particularly the Klingon mythology stuff. KLingon Recruitment was also great.
    I hope that burning the faction barriers for ships will also lead to more variety for KDF and RR ships in the future.
    The new Patrols are pretty neat, too.

Some story elements could have been better, I feel there is not enough in-game discussion of J'ula's (questionable?) Klingon philosophy.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @paradox#7391 said:
    > Still seems like a missed opportunity for Fed-Klingons, they're TNG Klingons that serve starfleet, they're basically everything Disco Klingons like J'Ula hate, they get 0 Klingon hair options like their KDF counterparts and have 0 unique Klingon racial dialogue during YoK, it's like the Devs forgot that these Klingons also exist in game.

Are you sure? My fed Klingon got new hair and texture updates as did his Klingon Boffs. You should check again.

Also I was hoping we would get the Worf sash again—since he never unlocked it. But that is ok. The mercenary strap clips into the alliance uniform—but it is sufficient for space Barbie.
  • Options
    grifter841grifter841 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My only real gripes about it are that I'm still waiting for the chance to defeat J'Ula that Adet'pa promised we'd get, and that the mycelial weapon was a reward. I can only assume that giving it to the players was an attempt to bring us down to J'Ula's level, so that we might forgive her for nearly undoing all realities. J'Ula still needs to be brought to justice.
  • Options
    aboundedorc0#8479 aboundedorc0 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    I liked the idea of a "Year of Klingon" but am nor have ever been a fan of Discovery or its content. That being said, I have no beef with those who do like the current Trek TV series offerings, but what Paramount and CBS are doing with the intellectual property at the current time is light years distance from what I've always enjoyed about Star Trek.

Like I said, I liked having a focus on klingon story content, but Cryptic how do you go an entire Year of Klingon and manage not to have a lock box focused on Klingon stuff? That alone tells you where their mindset was and yes, some of the gripes mentioned above are other examples. I think that at best, other than revamped missions and visual updates for character creation, the whole affair rates about 50/50 at best?
  • Options
    but Cryptic how do you go an entire Year of Klingon and manage not to have a lock box focused on Klingon stuff?
    Easily, that isn't what lockboxes are for.

Lockboxes generally exist to give players ships, powers, and items, that they normally wouldn't have access too because they aren't part of the major factions normal stuff. Be it from alt universes, enemy factions, or civilian gear, lockbox stuff is stuff that isn't part of the major factions normal matieral list.

There would never have been a Klingon lockbox for the same reason we haven't seen a Federation, or Romulan Republic, lockbox. Any normal Klingon Empire items they would have thought of would have just been added into the game as normal rewards, or event items. You know like
    -The nanopulse weapons/torpedo from the mission rewards
    -The Imperial Rift Space set from the Widening Gyre event
    -The Imperial Assault set from the current event
    -The nanopulse war targ
    -Molor's flaming sword
    etc. etc.

Yeah, I actually think a Klingon lockbox would have been pretty poorly received, and rightfully so.

Like you said, they gave people a lot of cool KDF-themed items/gear for free from the events, and the Legendary D7 is pretty much what would have been in a lockbox, except even better because it's an account unlock and able to be purchased for a relatively low price rather than gambling or even buying off the exchange for $100+.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    The Crossfield class was a highly experimental ship class made to test the spore drive. There are only two known to exist, so its like the Jellyfish, and the Franklin, in terms of its rarity/limited availability. Thus it wouldn't be a normal Zen store ship since it isn't a normal ship like a Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, etc. etc.

Yeah, this game is pretty strange how it handles this in terms of rarity. In STO logic everything in (any given pack, be it lockbox or promo) is equally as rare as everything else in that same pack.

So in STO logic a Keldon is equally as rare as a Crossfield, because they are both in the infinity lockbox.

And also in STO logic, a Bug ship is equally as rare as a Universe class, because they are both in the special promotion pack.

For these reasons we really can't equate in-universe story logic with how rare something happens to be in STO, because the 2 don't really line up.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Maybe Cryptic is tossing the Micheal Burnham show haters a bone by admitting that the ship is not a canon Federation ship. And Som agrees with it obviously as he supports the idea of this ship not being in the c-store.
    Another nonsense statement from one of the kings of nonsense. There's plenty of canon Fed ships not in the Zen store.

Aeon timeship, Wells, ENT-J, several versions of the Connie, etc.

Speaking about Kings of Nonsense, still waiting on my video, you know the ones who spouts nonsense like you get extra mark when you keep the web from webbing the station.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1261469/vault-ensnared-remake-are-you-nutz

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
This discussion has been closed.