What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Jovian Raider............just wow

13»

Comments

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    I mean...it's called the JOVIAN raider - Jovian = Mars = Heavily featured in a Picard short and frequently mentioned through Picard - so thinking the ship might be from Picard is understandable, especially given how obscure it is.​​
    Jovian always makes me think of Jupiter. Though Jovian can mean Saturn or Jupiter. The Jovian run was a route in the Sol system between Jupiter and Saturn. Not sure what you mean by Jovian = Mars. Jovian = Big Gas Giants doesn't it?.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I could've sworn it had something to do with Mars...oh well.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The phrases “by Jove” and “by Jupiter” were originally Latin oaths, pro Iovem and pro Iuppiter. These were used quite literally—not euphemistically—by the Romans to mean something like “my God!” or “good God!” The supreme deity of the Romans was Jove or Jupiter, wielder of thunderbolts (he was Zeus to the Greeks).

(astronomy) Pertaining to the planet Jupiter.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    The designation of the ship doesn't make sense anyway, since Jovian refers to Jupiter due to the Jovian/Jupiter mass unit system.

Yet those raiders in Discovery have their base of operations on Titan. Which is a moon of Saturn.

That's skipping an entire planet,... and only the USS Reliant gets a pass for this kind of severe mistake because that led to an awesome movie.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Yes, the moons of jupiter are collectibly called Jovian Moons
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Most inter Solar System wars pit Earth against Mars or the Outer Planets. The Outer Planets consist of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn and often include 'The Belt'. See 'The Expanse' for an example.

Isn't Cryptic updating the model of the 'Andromeda' class. Surely, the Federation does not have a base in Andromeda.

And don't call me Shirley!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Isn't Cryptic updating the model of the 'Andromeda' class. Surely, the Federation does not have a base in Andromeda.
    Except it's called the Andromeda-class Exploration Cruiser, not the Andromedan Exploration Cruiser, while here the raider is referred to as the Jovian (adjective for Jupiter) Intel Heavy Raider in the blog.

It's clear it was used to avoid calling it another Titan-class after the successor of the Luna-class, or Titanic raider (which respectively makes no sense either because it's a normal-sized raider and also because it's just tempting fate), but other more fitting names were possible like Huygens (the astronomer who discovered it and the lander) or Cassini (like the orbiter).
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
This discussion has been closed.