test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Freedom-Class Starships

startrek414347#9616 startrek414347 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
No Freedom-class starships in the program, like the one seen here? Why not?

de46nlq-b0839e64-944e-4ab1-a08a-f749751c8ef3.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    There IS a Freedom-class in STO - it's just not that model. https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Freedom_Exploration_Frigate​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Why not?

Because I'm guessing there is not much market demand.

Note: I'm not saying they shouldn't make it, only speaking to business concerns.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Since, as Shadowfang notes, there's another ship in-game called the Freedom-class, I wonder if they could, legally speaking, get away with calling that single-nacelle model the Saladin-class?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Or they could call it the Liberty class or something Freedom related. OR they could just call it the Freedom Class (TNG).
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    Since the nacelle is at the bottom, it could be called the Freesub-class?

I'm NOT apologizing for that one.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    startrek414347#9616 startrek414347 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Or they could call it the Liberty class or something Freedom related. OR they could just call it the Freedom Class (TNG).

Never did see a Freedom-class starship in TNG.
  • Options
    relicthiefrelicthief Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

It was one of the Wolf 359 debris field ships.
    Ancient Alien.
  • Options
    ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    They could kill 2 birds with one stone with the Freedom class and make a TMP skin to partner it as the Saladin Class

GTHAxW4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    relicthief wrote: »

It was one of the Wolf 359 debris field ships.
    Yup. It was part of the same fleet as the New Orleans and Cheyenne classes.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    They could kill 2 birds with one stone with the Freedom class and make a TMP skin to partner it as the Saladin Class

GTHAxW4.jpg

Actually, if they were to do that it would make more sense to just use the Jupp from the DS9 kitbash fleet:
    constitution-variant1-front.jpg
    constitution_variant_side.jpg

It actually has two engines, but the way they are positioned it looks like a refit Saladin.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Yeah that's one of the 3 main sources of 1 off designs in the TNG era, others being the salvage/scrap yard from "Unification" and the backround fleets in DS9
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

GTHAxW4.jpg

I could be wrong, but aren't there some rights issues with the Saladin design?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, the kit bashed junk from Wolf 359 should be the tippity top priority for new T6 Ships and remodels. No doubt.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but aren't there some rights issues with the Saladin design?

Unfortunately, you are correct. The Saladin, along with many other fan favorites, are owned by Franz Joseph, and were not accepted into canon. Not only that... they were used in Starfleet Battles, which could bring up old legal issues with FASA, and might extend into legal issues with Interplay, who used SFB as a base for their popular Starfleet Command games set in the TMP era.

While that hasn't stopped fans from modding them into games like Star Trek Legacy, that would pretty much DOA any proposal for the designs into STO.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yes, the kit bashed junk from Wolf 359 should be the tippity top priority for new T6 Ships and remodels. No doubt.

Well, let us not forget that we were told, by Kael, that "the ship release schedule is put together to take the most advantage of the ships that will get the biggest section of the playerbase excited. Generally, the doesn't mean, as beloved as they are, ships that were background ships during a classic Star Trek series".
    Well, we all know that's pure TRIBBLE. What boggles the mind, though, is the *reasoning* behind this. Like ok, fine, you want to put on the market ships that will sell well and prioritize them over ship that would - theoretically, at least - not sell just as well.
    That make sense, from a business point of view: you don't produce stuff that peopl won't buy, after all.

BUT that's also the point that make no sense whatsoever: why touch up on a T6 for a class that was, at best, barely recognizable even if it was present in one of the most famous and important battles in Federation's history? Like, doesn't it stand to reason that it falls into the "beloved as they are, ships that were background ships during a classic Star Trek series" category?
    So, it might as well be that someone on the team loves this ship so much that they wanted to make it a priority. And again, that's perfectly fine because we're all humans after all, and we all have things we love and hate. What's not fine, though, is prioritizing a ship such as the New Orleans class over ships like (yes, I'm gonna say it and I don't care if certain people don't like it) the Nova.
    Thomas is even working on touching up the Andromeda that, while being inspired by the Galaxy, is a Cryptic design and was already introduced as a T6. Was there really any need to spend time revamping it now, when there are ships that are way more in need of it or, indeed, are in need of a T6 version, period?
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options

Well, let us not forget that we were told, by Kael, that "the ship release schedule is put together to take the most advantage of the ships that will get the biggest section of the playerbase excited. Generally, the doesn't mean, as beloved as they are, ships that were background ships during a classic Star Trek series".
    Well, we all know that's pure TRIBBLE. What boggles the mind, though, is the *reasoning* behind this. Like ok, fine, you want to put on the market ships that will sell well and prioritize them over ship that would - theoretically, at least - not sell just as well.
    That make sense, from a business point of view: you don't produce stuff that peopl won't buy, after all.

BUT that's also the point that make no sense whatsoever: why touch up on a T6 for a class that was, at best, barely recognizable even if it was present in one of the most famous and important battles in Federation's history? Like, doesn't it stand to reason that it falls into the "beloved as they are, ships that were background ships during a classic Star Trek series" category?
    So, it might as well be that someone on the team loves this ship so much that they wanted to make it a priority. And again, that's perfectly fine because we're all humans after all, and we all have things we love and hate. What's not fine, though, is prioritizing a ship such as the New Orleans class over ships like (yes, I'm gonna say it and I don't care if certain people don't like it) the Nova.
    Thomas is even working on touching up the Andromeda that, while being inspired by the Galaxy, is a Cryptic design and was already introduced as a T6. Was there really any need to spend time revamping it now, when there are ships that are way more in need of it or, indeed, are in need of a T6 version, period?

I have to admit, the prioritization methodology with STO is...baffling, to say the least. If there's coherent logic behind any of it, I sure as hell can't see it. Which casts further doubts on other claims about 'metrics' driving the decision making process.

Exactly! They say one thing and the do something that completely and totally contradicts it.
    Again, it's fair that they want to make a profit - I don't think any of us truly think they shouldn't - but none of this makes a lick of sense!
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited March 2021

To be fair, there are some flowers among those weeds, just like there are in the mothball yard, the battle of sector 001, and the DS9 kitbashes. For instance ships already in the game from Wolf 359 are the Cheyenne class and the New Orleans Class, and they seem popular enough.

There was a Nebula class variant there with a different option set attached from those seen later but it is the same core ship, and they had both the four-engine Excelsior study model and the Planet of Titans ship which were also in the mothball yard in TNG (and the PoT even had a third appearance counting TMP). The Planet of Titans ship is even popular enough in fandom that CBS decided to (very very loosely) base the Crossfield class on it.

The DS9 kitbashes are not all bad either, the Centaur seems to be rather popular and already in the game for instance. To me the most interesting class of that set was the most controversial though, the Yeager.

A lot of people have fits about it because they see the secondary hull as the much smaller "Maquis raider" scaled up when the truth is the shooting model was redressed a lot and used for a number of ships of varying sizes (at least four) just like the BoP model was used for everything from a small scout corvette all the way up to a large battlecruiser that was a credible threat to a Galaxy class ship.

One of those "Peregrine" shooting-model ships was a freighter glimpsed for all of a half second or so at the end of a communication, and assuming it was what the Yeager class has as a secondary hull it was about 116 meters long. There were apparently two Yeagers assigned to DS9, which makes sense since they are probably rather slow compared to the Intrepid class, but that is what makes them so realistic.

They went on quite a bit in VOY about how advanced the engines were in on the Voyager so it was probably a potential bottleneck in trying to build a lot of them rapidly, and substituting a civilian freighter with a more conventional warp drive for the cutting edge Intrepid one actually would allow them to build them faster.

With the big drop in Warp speed capability, the Yeagers are probably stuffed with long range sensors like a cross between the real-world AGR radar pickets (like the Guardian class) and realworld DER destroyers (like the Edsall and Butler classes) to act as early-warning and defensive pickets, the kind of jobs that civilian-hulled warships often held in WWII and for a while afterwards. It adds another layer to the depth that DS9 had so much of compared to the previous Treks.
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    I always liked the vertical stack designs. They always seemed like a better layout for a small tactical ship.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Eitherway, I'm going to say this - I DO take some issue with the whole 'someone on the team loves the X class and therefore it was given priority' scenario. That would be fair and reasonable if not for the fact that they seemingly have no empathy toward players - vocal minority or not - who happen to feel the same way about a ship that hasn't ever received any attention. Lets put it this way - Thomas openly stated, on Twitter, that the New Orleans class was made/put in-game "because he specifically wanted it". THAT is why it is in-game (and has since had a quality pass too) - because the Lead Ship Design Dev specically wanted it. And you can damn bet that since he is giving the Andromeda a quality pass his personal favourite, the Pathfinder class, won't be far behind.
    Yet he/they seemingly have no interest or empathy toward those - vocal minority or not - who love the Nova class. He/they will happily indulge in making something THEY love happen, but won't do that for something that players have repeatedly pleaded for.

Cryptic has made it quite clear that staff preference for a ship is the criteria for that ship getting proper updates and model improvements. Marrone mentioned back in 2018 that the Andromeda was one of his favorite ships. Now here it is getting a 'remaster' a couple years later despite already being one of the better looking ships in the game. Meanwhile, ships the staff don't personally like wallow in obscurity and are pretty much doomed to have sub par models forever because they personally don't like them.

And yes, the White Knight will soon be along to tell us how wrong we are because 'X' said 'Y' and that's supposed to mean something. If you go by the actions not the words, the process for these things is pretty clear. Save your breath Captain Cryptic.. I won't even read your reply.. I never do.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User

The Kelvin Einstein Heavy Destroyer looks similar

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Kelvin_Einstein_Heavy_Destroyer

Only it has two vertical nacelles (one on top, one on bottom)

• Options

Eitherway, I'm going to say this - I DO take some issue with the whole 'someone on the team loves the X class and therefore it was given priority' scenario. That would be fair and reasonable if not for the fact that they seemingly have no empathy toward players - vocal minority or not - who happen to feel the same way about a ship that hasn't ever received any attention. Lets put it this way - Thomas openly stated, on Twitter, that the New Orleans class was made/put in-game "because he specifically wanted it". THAT is why it is in-game (and has since had a quality pass too) - because the Lead Ship Design Dev specically wanted it. And you can damn bet that since he is giving the Andromeda a quality pass his personal favourite, the Pathfinder class, won't be far behind.
    Yet he/they seemingly have no interest or empathy toward those - vocal minority or not - who love the Nova class. He/they will happily indulge in making something THEY love happen, but won't do that for something that players have repeatedly pleaded for.

Cryptic has made it quite clear that staff preference for a ship is the criteria for that ship getting proper updates and model improvements. Marrone mentioned back in 2018 that the Andromeda was one of his favorite ships. Now here it is getting a 'remaster' a couple years later despite already being one of the better looking ships in the game. Meanwhile, ships the staff don't personally like wallow in obscurity and are pretty much doomed to have sub par models forever because they personally don't like them.

And yes, the White Knight will soon be along to tell us how wrong we are because 'X' said 'Y' and that's supposed to mean something. If you go by the actions not the words, the process for these things is pretty clear. Save your breath Captain Cryptic.. I won't even read your reply.. I never do.

I'm quoting this one (and tagging @reyan01 for good measure, because we all know this forun isn't worth TRIBBLE), because this right here is exactly the crux of the matter.

Which of course brings us to another point of this discussion: profit is just an excuse and everything they have said/will say about how "single ships don't sell as well as bundle"/"non-fed ships don't sell as well as fed ships"/any-other-variation-on-the-same-theme is pure and utter bs and does nothing to contribute to the never-ending degradation of their credibility which, at the moment, is already well over six feet under.

If to this you had stuff like Jeremy's claim from yesterday's ten forward that "cross-faction flying was made so that they could make non-fed ships and still sell them to fed-only players" (taken from andrey_159 recount over on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/mhkz45/ten_forward_weekly_31032021_legendary_d7/), the picture is, quite frankly, entirely unbecoming.

Once again, we are not only players. We're customers. And while, again!, I by no means support the "the customer is always right" view of things that some people seems to have, they've GOT to count for something. And we they don't, they either go away or, in cases like STO, simply close down their wallet.
    Too bad there will always be white knights that will rain fire down on those that *dares* to call the dev out on their bs and continue to give them very underseved money.
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »

The Kelvin Einstein Heavy Destroyer looks similar

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Kelvin_Einstein_Heavy_Destroyer

Only it has two vertical nacelles (one on top, one on bottom)

one those in the Enstein is the secondary hull (the top one IIRC) not a nacelle.
This discussion has been closed.