test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Knowledge is Power (Spoilers)

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,200 Arc User
So, I thought I'd post some ruminations about this new mission.

My first thought, I do not want to play as J'ula. I dislike the character, and have no interest in her.
So, we beam down and make our way through a monastery that looks rather more like a HUMAN monastery than a Klingon one. We go into the cave with the little firepit, and face a gang of Klingons that immediately obliterate J'ula. No chance at all to fight back. What fun.

So we do three challenges. Took me about 20 attempts on the first one to figure out just what J'ula's skills actually DO. That helped, and the other challenges went by all right.

More fighting in the main hall, where the enemies can fire THROUGH the geometry. No cover anywhere as a result.

Battles on the bridge, tons of enemies and constant AOE threats... Not all that difficult, really. All right, I suppose.

Now we go into the room with the Time Crystals. Gowron jr. is in there, somehow. We needed these fancy keys to get in, he didn't have them, so how is he IN there? So, now we fight 10000 klingons, PLUS Gowron, PLUS nonstop AOE time effects... Just a really irritating battle. I rarely had a chance to do ANYTHING, because I was constantly dodging anomalies, grenades and other such blasts.

Some interesting cutscenes, but I've little interest in J'ula. I feel no connection to or sympathy for her character... so these are kind of irrelevant to me.

Next, a big bad guy battle with a Star Wars batlh'etlh. I weary of everything being glowie. So we shoot, shoot, shoot. A bit dull.

So, next we make a clone of L'rell. Someone doesn't seem to understand how cloning works. It's not some mystical process, it's biological... scientific. It's not some mystical process requiring lava and huge stone mechanisms. Sigh. And... it's missing a soul? Again, someone doesn't understand how cloning works. Star Trek is SCIENCE fiction... this nonsense about finding a soul is fantasy. Of course, it might end up being framed in terms of searching for energy to animate her... but that remains to be seen.

So, what did I think?

It looks very good. The art, with the exception of the very unklingon monastery, is very good. The acting is decent, which is unusual for this game. The challenges are a bit dull, but perhaps that is in part because we're playing J'ula, who I have no investment in. It's a very fantasy oriented mission, which I think is not really something Star Trek has ever been about... but Klingons have always been a more spiritual race than the Federation, which is usually our point of view in Star Trek.

I rate it a 3/5. Not bad, but nothing marvelous.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Agreed. As soon as I understood I'd be playing as J'lula, I began to lose interest. I love the Klingons and KDF side, but I'm not a fan of
    TRIBBLE or these characters. Pretty annoying to have to play as one for a mission, so won't revisit this. Also agreed about the look of the Klingon monastery - I felt like I was playing Soul Reaver II and taking a tour through the Sarafan Stronghold, rather than anything remotely Klingon. Ugh, this show... :/
    Post edited by kain9prime on
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I will just be blunt..

It's the worst mission in the game. It replaced 'Coliseum' on my list of worst missions ever. I hated this mission more then I could say.

The story.. great. The art, and voice acting.. fantastic.

The game play.. so mind numbingly terrible it was unreal. Playing as Ja'ula sucked and on advanced you die.. a lot. I basically got bored and just resulted to 'press 3 over and over, respawn, press 3 over and over, respawn.' It was tiring, dull, and took forever. There are just waves and waves of enemies to drive home how horrible the game play is.. completely unnecessary.

Would it have been THAT inconceivable to just tell the @#$ing story without the waves of bad guys? did they add anything? Just have us explore the monastery and enjoy the story.. why do I have to play some gimptard PC through hordes of pointless enemies? The definition of stupidity.

I will never.. ever play this mission again.. absolutely terrible.

Story - 4/5
    Art/Music - 5/5
    Voice Acting - 5/5
    Game play - 0/5

Absolutely terrible to play, I honestly did not expect to hate it this much. This is content I will never touch again under any circumstances.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    While I'm not on the J'Ula hate train (I like that she has at least a second dimension now compared to when she started), I'm inclined to agree with the play-as-somebody-else spiel, because it's something this game does not do well. Having to fly a ship that's not yours, or play a character that's not yours, always feels clunky.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Played up to the big fight at the time crystal room. Defeated everyone, then nothing. It still said defeat the forces, but I had. Nothing like wasting 25 minutes on a horrible censored-TV-show-name story with horrible censored-TV-show-name characters, just to add insult to injury with a mission blocking bug. I'll try the next mission just for the torpedo, but no way would I want to play this on my other characters.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I think the first mission would have been better received if we were playing MARTOK. I mean, he's a character we're all familiar with and actually LIKE.

Maybe, but I would have hated either option. I rolled my Captain to play him.. not to leave him sitting in space while I play other characters that I have no control over and can’t select gear or skills for.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    I think the first mission would have been better received if we were playing MARTOK. I mean, he's a character we're all familiar with and actually LIKE.

Maybe, but I would have hated either option. I rolled my Captain to play him.. not to leave him sitting in space while I play other characters that I have no control over and can’t select gear or skills for.

This.
    We put a lot of time in our character and our ship just to have it as we want it and we don't do it play something else. It is a pity, because overall the story telling in this game is in my view very good.

• snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Yeah, having to play as her was just.. It made the mission unbearable and just horrible, it's no fun.

We spend so much time developing and creating our characters, being forced to play as someone else is just. Blergh, especially such a bad character as J'ula.
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    Now we go into the room with the Time Crystals. Gowron jr. is in there, somehow. We needed these fancy keys to get in, he didn't have them, so how is he IN there? So, now we fight 10000 klingons, PLUS Gowron, PLUS nonstop AOE time effects... Just a really irritating battle. I rarely had a chance to do ANYTHING, because I was constantly dodging anomalies, grenades and other such blasts.

for this part changing your keybinds A and D to strafe instead of keyboard turning makes it a lot easier to run and gun while dodging grenades and other AOE spam.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Would it have been THAT inconceivable to just tell the @#$ing story without the waves of bad guys?

Of course it would! Where've you been these last couple of years, where most of the new content's been spawning waves of enemies on (often hidden) timers to pad things out? That's called quality story telling! :disappointed:

• michael0525michael0525 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    After all of that, where is the damned crystal? I followed the pointer to the exact spot and nothing...
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    > @dongemaharu said:
    > Played up to the big fight at the time crystal room. Defeated everyone, then nothing. It still said defeat the forces, but I had. Nothing like wasting 25 minutes on a horrible censored-TV-show-name story with horrible censored-TV-show-name characters, just to add insult to injury with a mission blocking bug. I'll try the next mission just for the torpedo, but no way would I want to play this on my other characters.

Same here...twice (still, it did net me a lot of melee kills so that was nice)

Second mission was a lot more fun (did it on adv) - I didn't find it too difficult but thats likely as I was playing my ork who mains the mining laser and spams drones/bugs kitwise whose tactic is ' backpedal to wall, activate beam'o'death while drones keep the mobs busy'

Next time I've got to get a screenshot of Pimp daddy Fek'lhr on his throne and photoshop a cane and sunglasses on him for the memes

The exit strategy part was pretty awesome..pure unbridaled mayhem as you'd expect from Klingon Satan..it amused me that if you thought it was an easy exit and dashed out you got caught in the middle of a melee but if you anticipated Fek'lhrs nature you could prepare just incase

Not really into the ancient cloning thing but oh well, they needed a reason to allow us to have a grethor punchup so I'll forgive them as it makes me really want to revisit the old but new grethor episodes
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    To add to this. It's not just bad story, and frustrating Zerg Rush gameplay. It's that I will never again have either a reason or a desire to revisit this particular piece of content. I'm not playing my character in these two missions. I can't run it with a different build. Bringing a new Alt through these missions doesn't bring new gameplay. Switching to a new ship or going from Tac to Sci to Eng ships changes nothing. Because this mission has nothing to do with me or my characters.

Cryptic you pissed away how much development resources on this blight of a mission pair which has no replay value at all. Did nobody on the development notice that?
    edited January 2021
    > @faelon#8433 said:
    > To add to this. It's not just bad story, and frustrating Zerg Rush gameplay. It's that I will never again have either a reason or a desire to revisit this particular piece of content. I'm not playing my character in these two missions. I can't run it with a different build. Bringing a new Alt through these missions doesn't bring new gameplay. Switching to a new ship or going from Tac to Sci to Eng ships changes nothing. Because this mission has nothing to do with me or my characters.
    >
    > Cryptic you pissed away how much development resources on this blight of a mission pair which has no replay value at all. Did nobody on the development notice that?

To play devils...no, Fek'lhrs advocate (:p) thats a fair charge to the first one but the second with you in control can be played in any way you want (except for pacifist runs, lol) - I had great fun on my second run taking a tommy gun to hell/running my gorn ninja with that new teleport, kunai (lecks knives) vulcan-fu, smoke bombs mbs and cloak (and any other kit remotely ninja-ish..sompek no jitsu..Flash! :D) while in space...dropping a huge gravity well on them then keeping out of mine range until the tric mines blow up their deploying mobs due to your honor hungry allies/idiots is a fun way to finish
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Wasn't it revealed in the Gamma Quadrant story the Dominion are responsible for the creation of the Fek'ihri? Did the Dominion make the Klingon afterlife too?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Wasn't it revealed in the Gamma Quadrant story the Dominion are responsible for the creation of the Fek'ihri? Did the Dominion make the Klingon afterlife too?
    The Dominion made the Fek'Ihri that exist in real life using Klingon DNA, and altering it to make creatures that looked like the Fek'Ihri from Klingon legends. Gre'thor, Fek'lhr, and the Fek'Ihri existed in Klingon mythology before the Dominion got involved.

So are all the Fek'ihri we've encountered the real deal or just rejects of the Dominion?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    My headcannon is that as the dominion made Fek'ihri bodies, ACTUAL Fek'ihri possessed them as they were made in their image...kind of like as we just saw in the new episode (but a clone)- thus the meatspace ones have a link to grethor and pimp daddy Fek'lhr can order them about, hence the events in space
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I don't think you are the one understanding...

Pretty sure the point is "to each their own". He likes it, but would have preferred a different character. You don't like it at all. Does that make his fun any less relavent than yours?

For my part, I'm neutral on the missions we take control of someone else. If it fits the narritive they're wanting to tell, then its fine IMO. As the mission stands now... what reason would our characters have to go on this journey? For a Fed, Romulan, or Jem'Hadar... why would we seek guidance at Boreth because of a crisis of faith?

I can understand stumbling and being shocked on Khitomer because up until that point, the only time we've seen powerful weapons used had been from the safety of our ships. Now all of a sudden... BOOM! We got one going off right in front of us... without a layer of shields and Tritanium between us and it, and we weren't expecting it. As much as some people want to be all "badasses don't look at explosions" unaffected by anything because I saved the universe 10 times over... I personally feel that anyone would be in a state of shock witnessing a WMD used practically right on top of them. You'd have to be a machine NOT to react to that.

Is J'Ula in the running for an academy award? Hell no. But if we take everything we've seen so far... she's a patriot who just got the mother of all reality checks. Does her recent change of heart absolve her of her past actions? No. She's technically responsible for a lot of the issues the Empire's facing right now with "Emperor" J'mpok. Can she redeem herself? Maybe to a degree. But that is for the High Council and maybe even the afterlife to determine how honorable she was in the end.

Does anything I say really matter about the story? Maybe, maybe not. As a fanfic writer I can see how things may be meant to be seen from a narritive perspective. We're still free to express our opinions, but we shouldn't be attacking each other over them because we don't agree. Arguments like that stop being about the subject and more about "who's think is right", and anyone who doesn't agree needs to "see the light". Some see "bad writing", some see things they like but could be improved on... ect ect. The fact is that at the end of the day... no one is right and no one is wrong because all are expressing opinions, and everyone has an opinion.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    > @faelon#8433 said:
    > To add to this. It's not just bad story, and frustrating Zerg Rush gameplay. It's that I will never again have either a reason or a desire to revisit this particular piece of content. I'm not playing my character in these two missions. I can't run it with a different build. Bringing a new Alt through these missions doesn't bring new gameplay. Switching to a new ship or going from Tac to Sci to Eng ships changes nothing. Because this mission has nothing to do with me or my characters.
    >
    > Cryptic you pissed away how much development resources on this blight of a mission pair which has no replay value at all. Did nobody on the development notice that?

To play devils...no, Fek'lhrs advocate (:p) thats a fair charge to the first one but the second with you in control can be played in any way you want (except for pacifist runs, lol) - I had great fun on my second run taking a tommy gun to hell/running my gorn ninja with that new teleport, kunai (lecks knives) vulcan-fu, smoke bombs mbs and cloak (and any other kit remotely ninja-ish..sompek no jitsu..Flash! :D) while in space...dropping a huge gravity well on them then keeping out of mine range until the tric mines blow up their deploying mobs due to your honor hungry allies/idiots is a fun way to finish

The second one is not quite so bad. You are at least playing your character. Who is running through hell, for reasons that defy logic, gunning down the damned with lasers and summoned robots. (although for some bizarre reason you can't summon either of the Targ battle pets. Go Figure!).

The story still remains completely incomprehensible. Remind me again why as a Fed I am involved in this? And in particular are in any way involved with anything "Klingon Game of Thrones" that does not constitute leaving J'ula in hell permanently? Remember as the not always friendly opposing power on the Galactic Stage we have come to terms with J'mpok and actually like Martok. Under no circumstances would we ever allow J'ula to get anywhere near Quo'nos while still breathing. We still have 200 year old arrest warrants out on her for Genocidal War Crimes. And bringing the other chick back from the dead? Yeah no, that's the sort of thing we have Section 31 to STOP. Why hasn't Drake showed up and told us "When the Klingons take you to hell we want you to plant this Protomatter Bomb in Hell's Toilet, than run, as they say, like Hell"
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    My major issue with the missions, outside of controlling the incredibly weak (both in gameplay and character) J'Ula, is how they pretty much shatter the ambiguity of the Fek'ihri's existence, bringing the freaking supernatural Klingon afterlife to reality.

The original missions involving them weren't perfect in their execution, but you could still accept it may have been an hallucination since all you did was to fight your way through hordes of demons and listen to basic speeches related to the concepts of Klingon hell, treachery, cowardice, dishonor and ferryman, something not difficult for the mind to make up when you're high on fumes.

Because, I'm sorry, but you can't convince me it possibly wasn't real and you-know-who waking up was just a coincidence, considering how NOT surreal the whole Leap of Faith mission was.

There is a major difference between "shooting your way through demons while by yourself because Kahless said this would help" and "talk to, do side-quests from and battle people and mythological beings from previous eras you never met before while you're in a group, all to bargain for the soul of someone no-one in the group ever met".

That's my biggest gripe with the story. I'm not saying it wasn't entertaining and quite well-done, because I had fun with it (outside the cowardice labyrinth/boss fight that was broken for me as Cowardice never left the first room, making the labyrinth pointless), but the afterlife exists in Star Trek Online, now, and it's not an hallucination or elaborate simulation/recreation from another enemy faction.

Also, you'd expect J'mpok to pretty much have a target the size of a Dyson Sphere on his head after attacking the monastery, instead of weak "Booo, that's so not cool, someone should scold that meanie for that rude misdemeanor".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
This discussion has been closed.