test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bug Lives Matter

navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
I have only been back for a very short time and the amount of in game bugs that I have found that have been around since forever ago (like before the forums were moved) are still here!

Wow...I know there are other priority bugs and all, but these bugs still existing doesn't give me much hope at all for the stability of this game. It's almost like the Devs have just given up and it feels like the players are just waiting for the next big Star Trek MMO to come along. :(

I mean, we still have the random personnel on your bridge when it should be your BOffs there instead, even when you have a full roster of BOffs.

You still have the BOffs sitting way far away from the actual chair they are supposed to be sitting in.

You still spawn within the collision mechanics of the planets and have to instant travel to get out.

You have panels on the bridge that should be lit up but are just blank spaces.

In the Delta Quadrant mission where you have to use a zip line, it still bugs out and is still stuck in your hands and is zipping even when running.

Of course we still have the bugged out sound effects or the engine room.

When warping out from systems it still sometimes bugs out and your ship doesn't warp but rather moves in slow motion...that one actually got worse.

You still have to click on customize ship twice if you want to start with the version you already have without it reverting back to the default version.

All of those bugs were around when last I played and have been around for many years. Would I do best to just let it go and stop worrying about it? Has the game really went downhill that much? Should I just enjoy it while I still can and let it go?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    Being passionate about something is fine but worrying just hurts you.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    In the Delta Quadrant mission where you have to use a zip line, it still bugs out and is still stuck in your hands and is zipping even when running.

I've discovered that if you don't move for a few seconds after landing, it won't do that. It typically does that if you try to move immediately after landing. Think of it as putting the grappler away. I think there is supposed to be an animation for it, but it mostly just replays the deploy animation.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    When warping out from systems it still sometimes bugs out and your ship doesn't warp but rather moves in slow motion...that one actually got worse.
    Cryptic has actually talked about this one a few times.

Basically, they can't reliably get it to happen during internal testing, and as such, they can't fix it since they can't see whats causing it.

So they have no idea what causes it? I have a theory as to what causes it but I do not know for sure. I'll do some testing before I open my mouth about it though.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

Basically, they can't reliably get it to happen during internal testing, and as such, they can't fix it since they can't see whats causing it.

So they have no idea what causes it? I have a theory as to what causes it but I do not know for sure. I'll do some testing before I open my mouth about it though.

That happens to me ocassionally. I never paid much attention to it though since the map trandferring still proceeds. I'll have to try to remember to pay more attention & see if I can spot any pattern as to why or why not. Anytime it happens though it reminds me of that 1 Fed ship with the console or the built-in feature that supposedly a failed warp would happen very rarely.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

LOL

It happens all the time, especially when in STFs and using and recalling separated pets right before warp...probably isn't in the budget because they're too busy making something else they can sell.
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    It happens almost every time for me. Always in mission or patrol maps - never in social zones like New Romulus orbit or Earth orbit.
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    That happens to me ocassionally. I never paid much attention to it though since the map trandferring still proceeds. I'll have to try to remember to pay more attention & see if I can spot any pattern as to why or why not. Anytime it happens though it reminds me of that 1 Fed ship with the console or the built-in feature that supposedly a failed warp would happen very rarely.

Happens probably 100% of the time on my Vengeance with may main. Most of my pylons don't have the problem, but a couple do, all 16 or so pylons fly different ships, I know my Romulans Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser doesn't do it. I'd have to look at each character and ship to see how it breaks down. I'll try to remember to take note today.

To the OP, I can point out bugs from day one (or since I started playing) on every game I play, and with some work, I could go back to the games I don't play anymore and find some there (if the games are still active), the numbers will increase if we include console and single player games but that is starting to get to be a lot of work just to show you it happens in every game.

So worry less, enjoy the game more, enjoy the forums more, learn new things and post fun stuffs.

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    For me, it happens literally 50% of the time. Half the times I warp out I just slowly move, not warping at all. I get the sound effect that revs the engines up, but then nothing happens. The other half of the time it works just fine. it is completely random for me. Maybe the ship type has something to do with it? I am in a Fleet Star Cruiser T5X

Monolith.gif

• Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    For me, it happens literally 50% of the time. Half the times I warp out I just slowly move, not warping at all. I get the sound effect that revs the engines up, but then nothing happens. The other half of the time it works just fine. it is completely random for me. Maybe the ship type has something to do with it? I am in a Fleet Star Cruiser T5X

Monolith.gif

Dang that reminds me I really wish Cryptic would release a T6 Star Cruiser, well the Mirror Universe version that looked like a Star Cruiser but was more Assault Cruiser function.
  • Options

Monolith.gif

Dang that reminds me I really wish Cryptic would release a T6 Star Cruiser, well the Mirror Universe version that looked like a Star Cruiser but was more Assault Cruiser function.

I agree...as long as they go straight for sale and not locked behind a damn lock box. Running a T5X because I love the ship too much to jump ship to a T6 kind of sucks. I would really like to see a T6 version.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    The warp-out bug hasn't hit me for a long time. I can't even remember the last time it hit me.

Any other bugs I encounter aren't game-breaking so I don't complain about them every time a patch goes out. I enjoy the game and that's good enough for me.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    The warp-out bug hasn't hit me for a long time. I can't even remember the last time it hit me.

It hits me every single day that I play multiple times a day. It may have something to do with the type of ship.
    Any other bugs I encounter aren't game-breaking so I don't complain about them every time a patch goes out. I enjoy the game and that's good enough for me.

They may not be "game breaking" as you say, (although that is completely subjective, I'm sure role-players would disagree with you on that one) but they do scream volumes as to the state of the game, especially when these bugs have existed for multiple years dating back almost as far back as the first year of the game. Not only does it scream volumes to players who have been here since the beginning (I myself Beta Tested this game) but it also screams volumes to players who are returning...or even worse, trying the game out for the first time.

The game is already struggling, and these types of bugs don't help. The game has even earned itself a spot in "The Death of a Game" series and is most likely on its last legs. So even though as a player, it is easier to just blow it off as no big deal, that doesn't do much for players as a whole and does even less for the health of the game...if it can even be saved at all at this point.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ai3ZGU4hXU8
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    From what I recall them saying, they have no idea since they can't get it to happen to them.

The same is true of a now months old bug with The Temporal Ambassador mission on consoles that is causing the game to kick people out of the mission due to a map transfer error. Its been a thorn in their side because any attempts to fix it have failed since they can't get it to happen to them when they play on the console version in-house, but it happens pretty 100% of the time in the live game.

Sounds like their internal testing server is not a mirror of the live server. Seems silly to me.
  • Options

The game is already struggling, and these types of bugs don't help. The game has even earned itself a spot in "The Death of a Game" series and is most likely on its last legs. So even though as a player, it is easier to just blow it off as no big deal, that doesn't do much for players as a whole and does even less for the health of the game...if it can even be saved at all at this point.
    Except the game isn't struggling.

According to everything Cryptic has said, both on streams, and in intervenes, the last two years have been some of STO's best years ever, with only one year being better for the game then these last two. Victory is Life broke records of pretty much all of the content that came before it, and the Discovery content broke records of even ViL.

Also, that "Death of a Game" video was pretty much debunked shortly after it came out.

Of course, they opened it up to XBox and Playstation which skewed the numbers. They had 2 whole platforms to pull numbers from which means more die hard Star Trek fans who would play the game no matter what state the game is in. So they saved themselves with that move alone.

Curious where the video is that debunks the Death of a game video?

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    Except the game isn't struggling.

According to everything Cryptic has said, both on streams, and in intervenes, the last two years have been some of STO's best years ever, with only one year being better for the game then these last two. Victory is Life broke records of pretty much all of the content that came before it, and the Discovery content broke records of even ViL.

Also, that "Death of a Game" video was pretty much debunked shortly after it came out.

Of course, they opened it up to XBox and Playstation which skewed the numbers. They had 2 whole platforms to pull numbers from which means more die hard Star Trek fans who would play the game no matter what state the game is in. So they saved themselves with that move alone.

Curious where the video is that debunks the Death of a game video?

To be fair, MMO Populations does concur with the statement that the last several years have been STO's best. The game does not seem to be dying the way Defiance and a few others seem to be.
  • Options
    To be fair, MMO Populations does concur with the statement that the last several years have been STO's best. The game does not seem to be dying the way Defiance and a few others seem to be.

To be even more fair, ever since the way of "Free to Play" and "Gambling Boxes" became a popular strategy with MMORPG companies, many hard core MMORPG players have lost a lot of respect for MMORPG's in general. I think the general MMORPG population has dwindled over the years due to the nickle and dime practices of gaming companies and how gaming companies have been building MMORPG games over all in the recent years. Now of course this is all opinion, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Let's take a look at what a good majority of MMORPG's (going to just call them MMOs for the duration of this post) once were prior to the gold rush of MMOs.

In general we had open world (almost no boarders) gaming, 15 a month with no such nonsense as lock boxes, you could earn everything you get in lock boxes by completing quests. Never did you pay more than 15 a month other than the occasional major expansion, usually with mini expansions in between that were often free of charge and gaming companies in those days did not lie about their games before release to try and boost sales.

Because of this, you had more die hard fans and seemingly more MMO players in general.

What we now have is gaming companies over-exaggerating their games, telling players one thing and then the game being nothing like what they tell us they will be, more and more often games are on rails rather than open world, or they are somewhat open world, but have many transition stages that makes the game feel very boxed in with many borders. You have micro transactions (which feels more like microtransgressions to an old school player who played long before the introduction of such transactions to the American MMO worlds) and your 15 a month quite frankly does not get you much in comparison to what it used to get you. Animations seem rushed and incomplete and the quality over all of these games just has a very rushed and poor feeling to them.

Now granted, this is just my opinion, but I have personally had these very same conversations with seasoned MMO players over the course of the past 20 years of MMO gaming and it would seem that many veteran gamers agree with my interpretation of why MMOs just are not as popular as they once were.

It's not that the players have lost the taste or desire for them, it's that the gaming companies and their greed have ran a good portion of the MMO fans off with their half arsed games and their primary focus being lock boxes.

Lock boxes have been the bane of MMOs ever since they first started popping up in American games and although I am not a man from the future, I predict lock boxes will be a great contributing factor to the downfall of MMOs in general.

So even though STO is patting themselves on the back or their new found population, it is still nothing like it would have been compared to the days when gaming companies used to strive to bring the players a Class A game that did not require gambling addiction techniques to sustain them.

Many people agree that the title "Star Trek" is the only thing that has kept this game going for as long as it has...and adding in Playstation and XBox players was a huge help in obtaining more players to spend more money on more lock boxes.

Now I don't have any facts to back any of this up, this is pure opinion based of countless conversations over the years and personal experience. So take it with a grain of salt, however, I do believe there is wisdom in my words.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited December 2020

To be even more fair, ever since the way of "Free to Play" and "Gambling Boxes" became a popular strategy with MMORPG companies, many hard core MMORPG players have lost a lot of respect for MMORPG's in general. I think the general MMORPG population has dwindled over the years due to the nickle and dime practices of gaming companies and how gaming companies have been building MMORPG games over all in the recent years. Now of course this is all opinion, but I think it makes a lot of sense.

Let's take a look at what a good majority of MMORPG's (going to just call them MMOs for the duration of this post) once were prior to the gold rush of MMOs.

In general we had open world (almost no boarders) gaming, 15 a month with no such nonsense as lock boxes, you could earn everything you get in lock boxes by completing quests. Never did you pay more than 15 a month other than the occasional major expansion, usually with mini expansions in between that were often free of charge and gaming companies in those days did not lie about their games before release to try and boost sales.

Because of this, you had more die hard fans and seemingly more MMO players in general.

What we now have is gaming companies over-exaggerating their games, telling players one thing and then the game being nothing like what they tell us they will be, more and more often games are on rails rather than open world, or they are somewhat open world, but have many transition stages that makes the game feel very boxed in with many borders. You have micro transactions (which feels more like microtransgressions to an old school player who played long before the introduction of such transactions to the American MMO worlds) and your 15 a month quite frankly does not get you much in comparison to what it used to get you. Animations seem rushed and incomplete and the quality over all of these games just has a very rushed and poor feeling to them.

Now granted, this is just my opinion, but I have personally had these very same conversations with seasoned MMO players over the course of the past 20 years of MMO gaming and it would seem that many veteran gamers agree with my interpretation of why MMOs just are not as popular as they once were.

It's not that the players have lost the taste or desire for them, it's that the gaming companies and their greed have ran a good portion of the MMO fans off with their half arsed games and their primary focus being lock boxes.

Lock boxes have been the bane of MMOs ever since they first started popping up in American games and although I am not a man from the future, I predict lock boxes will be a great contributing factor to the downfall of MMOs in general.

So even though STO is patting themselves on the back or their new found population, it is still nothing like it would have been compared to the days when gaming companies used to strive to bring the players a Class A game that did not require gambling addiction techniques to sustain them.

Many people agree that the title "Star Trek" is the only thing that has kept this game going for as long as it has...and adding in Playstation and XBox players was a huge help in obtaining more players to spend more money on more lock boxes.

Now I don't have any facts to back any of this up, this is pure opinion based of countless conversations over the years and personal experience. So take it with a grain of salt, however, I do believe there is wisdom in my words.

Lockboxes are a pain but they don't have anything to do with microtransactions, and player demographic shifting has been more a case of dilution by causal gamers (and odd as it may sound, the proliferation of smartphones changing the view of what a game should be) than a migration away from MMORPGs, or at least MMOs in general. More people are playing more games but are not getting into as much depth as before (it sort of mirrors traditional "thinky" Trek shows vs. the shallower more action based new Trek).

Most games don't even use microtransactions, they just use regular transactions like STO does. In fact, you cant even do a microtransaction in STO since the minimum zen purchase is $10 which is two to three times the limit of a microtransaction (which is defined as the price of an ordinary cup of coffee) a price which is higher than a cup of even the fanciest stuff at Starbucks. Microtransactions are designed for easy impulse buying, a person will purchase quite a bit of goods priced at that level without even thinking about it.

Some people make the mistake of thinking that if a few items are available from the z-store (or whatever other games may call their version) for five or six bucks that constitutes a "microtransaction" system, but it doesn't since it is the minimum cash-to-ingame-currency transaction that determines that. STO would probably benefit from a $5 minimum package which would be in range of a lot of the F2Ps who are leery about spending $10 at a time on the game (yes, it sounds silly but it happens more than you would think it would).

The poster child for microtransaction based gaming used to be Second Life (and it probably still is, I have not had to put any realworld cash in lately so I don't know if they changed it in the last five or six years since I usually only pop in and look around nowadays). Its minimum purchase was about $2 or so and in addition to buying it in whatever chunks you decide to get (there were no pre-set packages), it was handled like a POS transaction at whatever the floating exchange rate was, and you could get to the L$ (they called the currency "Lindens") purchase floater within regular ingame transactions so impulse buying was a couple of quick and easy keypresses as long as you had a card on file.

STO is actually one of the most open games to F2P players, none of the content is locked away behind paywalls and even T6 ships and other high-end equipment is available as event awards. That is a big change from the usual where at least some of the content is locked away and the key is your wallet, and sometimes endgame viability is wallet based as well (DCUO was a good example of that last point when it was my main game). That is why I stayed with STO despite the rather clunky combat systems, and from what I hear it is a main reason a lot of others do too, not because of the Star Trek name (though that does not hurt it any either).

Lockboxs and subscription games are not as separate as you may think, especially in hybrids like ESO. And yes, ESO has a pretty decent subset available for B2P (Buy to Play) gamers who don't have the steady cash flow for the subscription (which they call "Plus") even though they are pushing the limits of "essential" rather hard with entire races, classes, skill lines, regions, and parts of the crafting system locked away in additional-purchase items like DLCs but available "free" to Plus (essentially non-contract subscription) players. The way it is all set up makes it a definite "invisible" subscription model if you look closely though. Also, their lockboxes are even worse than the usual in some ways since they are almost always limited time.

A few games even have a way to get at least a trickle of lockboxes through grinding though the odds are very slim of getting anything great at that rate so the whales buy up bunches of them in the cash shops in those games, sort of like the Phoenix box system in STO.

The fact that the "frontier" days are over with and practically all the smaller game companies are getting snapped up by larger ones as soon as they come up with anything popular is responsible for more of the shift in feel and and business models than anything else. It happens in every new industry, all the enthusiasm and innovation get sucked out of them by the 800lb gorillas that inevitably move in and take over when they smell fresh meat with money.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    STO Did once have a minimum of $5 for a zen purchase of 500. It disappeared.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options

The fact that the "frontier" days are over with and practically all the smaller game companies are getting snapped up by larger ones as soon as they come up with anything popular is responsible for more of the shift in feel and and business models than anything else. It happens in every new industry, all the enthusiasm and innovation get sucked out of them by the 800lb gorillas that inevitably move in and take over when they smell fresh meat with money.

This right here pretty much sums up the core problem with MMOs. I am proud to have played MMO's before they were conquered by big companies. It was different times then that I will forever cherish.
  • Options
    Lol, The title of this thread is "BUG LIVES MATTER" I just have one thing to say:
    Not to This girl they don't - Especially if they have 8 legs!! I'm scared to my death of irachnids. Anybody who doesn't agree with me hasn't seen a Camel Spider! Dam scariest thing I ever saw.
    So!, Unless it's a pretty butterfly or moth, i say "BUG LIVES DO MATTER!!" And I'll squish em or shoot em whichever is appropriate especially if they have 8 legs, lol
    (NOTE: Intended for humerous purposes only, lol) :)
  • Options
    Lol, The title of this thread is "BUG LIVES MATTER" I just have one thing to say:
    Not to This girl they don't - Especially if they have 8 legs!! I'm scared to my death of irachnids. Anybody who doesn't agree with me hasn't seen a Camel Spider! Dam scariest thing I ever saw.
    So!, Unless it's a pretty butterfly or moth, i say "BUG LIVES DO MATTER!!" And I'll squish em or shoot em whichever is appropriate especially if they have 8 legs, lol
    (NOTE: Intended for humerous purposes only, lol) :)

I'm actually quite fond of spiders. But I am a dark kind of person who is in to things like that, lol. Love the post by-the-way. :D
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I get what the OP is saying, and I am NOT defending Cryptic in any way, but since I have become intimately familiar with how decade old software works (talking generations of programmers-wise) I see why a lot of the existing bugs are not fixed. When you get a program the size of this one, and as old as this one, there is going to be code that is just such a pain to even look at that it becomes a rule that if it's not breaking something serious, then don't mess with it. a good example is STO was lighting 2.0 killing the day/night cycle on Risa. now if any of the bugs noted in the OP were game breaking ( NOT IMMERSION breaking) then they would get fixed.
    Spock.jpg

• Options

It hits me every single day that I play multiple times a day. It may have something to do with the type of ship.

They may not be "game breaking" as you say, (although that is completely subjective, I'm sure role-players would disagree with you on that one) but they do scream volumes as to the state of the game, especially when these bugs have existed for multiple years dating back almost as far back as the first year of the game. Not only does it scream volumes to players who have been here since the beginning (I myself Beta Tested this game) but it also screams volumes to players who are returning...or even worse, trying the game out for the first time.

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,472 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    navar#3536 wrote: »

You are crying doom and the report that they gave about the state of the game in regards to the Klingon Recruitment Event shows that this game is not on its last legs.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
This discussion has been closed.