test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Event 2020 start date?

starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
Since there is no in-game calendar anymore. Will it be safe to assume Winter Event 2020 will start next week since it is the start of December. Any guesses.

Past winter dates (source Wiki):
6 December, 2012 - 14 January, 2013
5 December, 2013 - 16 January, 2014
4 December, 2014 - 15 January, 201
3 December, 2015 - 15 January, 2016
1 December, 2016 - 12 January, 2017
7 December, 2017 - 18 January, 2018
4 December, 2018 - 17 January, 2019
3 December, 2019 - 2 January, 2020
April 24th, 2020 - May 4th, 2020

3 Dec,2020 or Dec 8th???

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Whenever they start it I hope they leave it accessible for a couple of months this time. We need a beautiful and serene place like that to spend our time during covid isolation.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    I'd say a week after this event.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I hope we get Andorian Ushaan-Tors this year, they're an ice mining tool first and weapon second.

latest?cb=20081026043117&path-prefix=en

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ushaan-tor
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Needs to start on a Tuesday.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Needs to start on a Tuesday.

While it is true, the past two years have been a Tuesday, prior to that, it was always a Thursday. So, it doesn't *need* to be Tuesday. It's *likely* Tuesday, though.

Events have, occasionally, overlapped, too, so it could start as early as Dec 1. At the rate of things this year, we'll be lucky to have it by New Years, though.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    Whenever they start it I hope they leave it accessible for a couple of months this time. We need a beautiful and serene place like that to spend our time during covid isolation.

I agree and hope for it too... but, too much is also no good, especially when they don't give more rewards for extended time.

Normal reward (1 ship) + 1 extra token (account wide) to unlock one (missed) ship from previous events, or lobbies (200-600) like last time... that would be nice.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'd say a week after this event.

That was my assumption as well.

I am expecting an announcement on the Winter Event very soon.. probably Tuesday or Wednesday of the coming week.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    Whenever they start it I hope it lasts longer like the earlier years instead of truncating it like they did last year.
  • Options
    It won't be, reason Dilithium.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    whatever date it starts on, just expect the console version to be either a week or month behind the PC version.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    hmm, I've been assuming the 3rd. I guess we'll see if it continues to be short like last year. Risa was more like 6 weeks than 4 this year. So maybe Q will be the same. If so it almost has to start on the 3rd.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Probably going to get another Fek'lhri ship this year. A science one? Maybe it'll be a Bunsen burner? ;)
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Looking forward to it this year. Am usually a little indifferent about the Winter event - I enjoy it before Christmas but the appeal wears off (for me) post-Christmas.

However its been a lousy year in general, and lately we've had wall-to-wall TFO-based events in STO in particuar so it'll be nice to have this more 'fun' themed event back.

I just hope they don't do something stupid like run a TFO event over the top of the Winter Event. I know they normally don't.. but the way things have been this year, I am not sure sure.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Nah. It'll be a bit yet. The current event ends on the 3rd. Then I'd wager another red-alert week. Then, most likely, the winter event will kick off. I'm not wagering anything on this chain of events, but since they haven't even shown us the winter ship yet, it stands to reason that it's not ready to go.

Odds are you're gonna be right
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Kinda of strange. Due to COVID they did give us a few days during summer to run winter events.

Now is winter and guess they might be late?

I do hope they have some great NEW events rather than copy and paste. Either way it's always a welcomed event no matter what.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    If we get an announcement by today then theres a chance it could land 12/3 however, I would be incline to beleave its 12/8.
    Normally events are announced 7 days in advance not typically last minute 3 days before.
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    "Q’s Winter Wonderland will be available from December 8th, 2020 to January 7th, 2021"
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11479533-q's-winter-wonderland!

only 31 days. Hopefully, that means only 20 dailies required to earn the ship instead of 25.
  • Options
    And the 8th is what day of the week? A Tuesday!! Tuesday is the preferred day of the week for new releases and major Events (not necessarily the Featured TFO Events, etc.). It gives them Thursday to clean up any potential mess.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    so now we now - it's short again :(
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    a1040stfma1040stfm Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    so now we now - it's short again :(

We could write emails to PW and ask to extend the event! ;-)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    > @keepcalmchiveon said:
    > id wager the details were true at the time. this time frame for the winter event is not out of line nor delayed really.

IIRC the pandemic and work from home order caysed delays on completing Summer Event Reward ship and thus caused a delay for the event itself, while there was no such delay for the Winter Event as a) the design for the Winter ship was locked b) the pandemic had been around long enough that there was no "how do we do this now" phase slowing things down.
This discussion has been closed.