test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online is going to allow people to change their character's male/female body type. STO?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/11477883

Since this is happening in Champions and the games use the same engine (yes, different versions) maybe this is a good sign for STO getting some of these options too?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I think one of the things STO has to contend with is that some cosmetic items may conflict. Far as I know CO is a bit more universal.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think one of the things STO has to contend with is that some cosmetic items may conflict. Far as I know CO is a bit more universal.

Good point. If people do change, they need to be prepared to accept that some cosmetic items they paid zen for or ground event tokens for stop being equippable because the body shapes are different or because the no-nudity rules apply (no topless male shorts on a female body).
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    People need to read the champions online blog for this. It appears to be a costume change rather then an actual change of your gender in the code.
    That's the only difference between genders in the code in the first place, so...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    jonsills wrote: »
    People need to read the champions online blog for this. It appears to be a costume change rather then an actual change of your gender in the code.
    That's the only difference between genders in the code in the first place, so...

Probably, though a few NPCs still say "mam" instead of "sir" to female captains so at least some stuff still looks at the flag outside of the tailor and the "information" display function, though nothing major seems to depend on it (or at least nothing obvious).

The power would be handy for some metamorph types even if the original sex flag is not changed so it is not an issue anyway, especially since doing a metamorph that does not change sex is already easy to do in STO as it is and few really seem to use it as much more than a quick change to Risa bikinis or seldom used fleet uniforms.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Not sure what games you play, because gender selection is far more then just costuming in most RPGs. Setting variables for how NPCs talk to you, and what and what sort, and what name, many perks/powers use.
    I'm talking about in the code for CO. Nobody calls you "sir" or "ma'am" in there; in many cases, either would be irrelevant (Happifun Security System X-4, for example, is a sapient robot, as is Screwloose, and there are a fair number of aliens and/or supernatural entities running around that don't conform to a gender binary at all). The only difference between a male character and a female character in CO is the appearance.

That's probably what Kael was talking about when he said it was easier to do this in CO than in STO - although come to think on it, I don't recall any gender flags in this game's dialog either. (I might be forgetting something, because it's not something I pay close attention to.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    TES and Fallout have console commands that reopen the character creator so you don't have to just change the sex via a single command.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Time to get some more uniform pieces on all sexes? Looking at you Seven of nine borg implants.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    if this becomes a feature can I use it on Tovan Khev?
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I'd be happy if I could just have the outfit options Champions offers here in STO without all the crappy restrictions on color and categories.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Free Jem'hadar would be free to explore different possibilities. So if a Jem'hadar wants to wear a dress... Well... Good luck telling him he can't.

IDIC, and all...

You make an interesting argument here... something that's always sort of bugged me about "gender theory" in general. We, as a (generally Western/Central European, culturally) society - and this is true in game as well - have tied in a lot of things like clothing choices and hairstyles into "gender" that are not, necessarily, actually gender things. Many other cultures for example, respect long hair on men (and even in British and American culture it was fashionable in the 1600s-1700s). Some allow for clothing choices other than "shirts and trousers"... and in fact we already have (male-and female- wearable) kilts in game. But in our "modern, Western society" those things are generally seen as female-only, and they are treated that way in the game as well; if a man wants to grow his hair long, he is thought to "identify as female" even though that may not actually be the case.

Maybe, instead of opening up the whole "gender change" can of worms, we should be arguing instead for unlocking more tailor options (clothing, hairstyles) to both genders?

not just clothing, the same thing happens with colors as well - colors that are considered as being part of a certain gender, like blue for men and pink for women, used to be the opposite in the past or had no gender association at all​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/11477883

Since this is happening in Champions and the games use the same engine (yes, different versions) maybe this is a good sign for STO getting some of these options too?

You can already do this!!!

Just go to DS9 and Bribe Doctor Bashir!!!!

/jk

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    unotetsu wrote: »
    You can already do this!!!

Just go to DS9 and Bribe Doctor Bashir!!!!

/jk

Lol, I just have to bribe him to turn my male Boffs into bridge bunnies.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, after Season 3 of Discovery gets going we won't have enough choices in this department.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Lol, I just have to bribe him to turn my male Boffs into bridge bunnies.

Oh just buy a BOff of the same race but opposite gender. Boom. instant change. ;)

Joking aside, I acutally "upgraded" one BOff this way. She was originally I think a green or blue quality, and I just saved her appearance and got a purple quality BOff and gave her that appearance. While it was human female to human female, the quality change was a bit noticable.
    This was before we got story granted BOffs too.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.