test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Halloween event?

spy8446spy8446 Member Posts: 585 Arc User
Ive been thinking about the creatures we have in the ST universe and currently in game and some of them I think would be perfect for a Halloween event.

Setting: We will just use Drozona for the example.

devidians and fek'ihri with the salt vampires invade the station, You get a kind of ghosts vampires and demons effect going on that setting.

The favors used could just be jack o lanterns, even weapons could be designed with Halloween in mind as fek'ihri weapons.
If ships are the reward, fek'ihri would be perfect or other "ghost" type ships that would have to be thought up later.

An alternate location like a colony could be a better site for this possible event, but a run down/forgotten starbase would probably be the better choice or one that has only been used once like any of the other stations doing nothing.

any thought on this idea? it is rather rough and could use some polish.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    That's a nice idea.
  • Options
    Another thought for possible min games.

1: save captives that will be absorbed by either vamps or Devids, destroy the generators that power force fields while fighting mixed waves of these three enemies.

2: stop a devid portal from being opened, fight high grade enemy.

3: in the common/safe area, find the hidden salt vampires, 5-10 hiding with the people.

4: A boss type unit like the Voth generals some times wonder around the map from each of the three races.

5: in the common/safe area, carve pumpkins, bob for apples.

6: big event, assault a target location where the enemy "base" is located, kill as many generals as you can, unlocking doors etc until you get to the main boss, one of 3, if you kill them in the allowed time you get a nice pay out, or just the pay out for killing the generals.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Wasn't the Elachi ship event around that time last year?.. as part of an initiative to add more seasonal events throughout the year?

Personally, I'd love some kind of trans-dimensional (skeletal?) space-dragon appearing in the Badlands either as an event-exclusive battlezone mega-boss or as a special Queue. It'd phase in and out of reality with broadcasted (death-breath) attacks you have to dodge or go boom. Maybe have parts of it you can destroy/disable to progress phases/attack patterns; but primarily have it as an endurance encounter where the goal is surviving to the end.

"Spoop Station" does sound like an amusing idea, though.

As for reward goodies, maybe a 'Ghostly'(cloudy black/grey with smokey-white lighting trim) Vanity Shield? A 'Derelict'(displays the 'damaged' textures at all times/randomly) Vanity Shield? "Spiderweb"-trail Vanity Engines? Candy Corn Cannon and Liquorice Laser Lens Shuttle Weapons? A "Ghost Cloak"(bedsheet) as a ground costume? Vampire teeth as a mouth attachment? Flashlights that project festive shapes?

(I do think the Dividians are a great source of untapped future potential - maybe they're a secret/misunderstood resistance force against the 'evil tentacle-machines' from Picard that want to 'liberate' mechanical life from organics or something. I digress for going off-topic..)
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Anything is better than the now boring (although I respect those who like it) Of Hearts and Minds
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    Anything is better than the now boring (although I respect those who like it) Of Hearts and Minds

I mean, I *like* Hearts and Minds, but yeah. Once you've done it a few dozen times it gets a little repetitive. ;)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    the devs have mentioned they've been working on one. Plan A was apparently to release in 2019, but it wasn't ready yet, and this year everything got delayed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I hope we get something good and not a rehash of Hearts and Minds. Honestly... we have actual story missions that feel more Halloween worthy than that one.
    Tenebris Torquent and What Lies Beneath being the main two.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Ideas for ground based weapons.

Pistols: Fire spitters - twin pistols fires bolts of fire (element) that cause damage over time can eventually light an enemy on fire, causing greater damage over time.

Rifle: Fire lance - fires a beam of ... fire, that will not only set the target on fire but the heat will set other enemies nearby on fire as well, second fire mode fires a continuous beam that can then sweep across the ground also setting it on fire for a time creating a hazard.

Blast assault: Lava cannon - lobs explosive bolts/bombs that when they impact, again set the target on fire, but also creates a pool of molten lava at the located spot like a plasma grenade. Second fire mode is multiple smaller bombs fired in rapid succession, 4-5 shots.

Thoughts on these weapons?
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I hope we get something good and not a rehash of Hearts and Minds. Honestly... we have actual story missions that feel more Halloween worthy than that one.
    Tenebris Torquent and What Lies Beneath being the main two.
    Those missions are really creepy.
    spy8446 wrote: »
    ...devidians and fek'ihri with the salt vampires invade the station, You get a kind of ghosts vampires and demons effect going on that setting...
    OP you have a vivid imagination ^^ I like your weapons suggestions as well.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    If we did get a Halloween event and if the prise was a ship then the fek'irhi ships would've made more sense with it but alas.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I'm sure if the devs wanted to they could make a new fek'ihri ship for next year's halloween or this year's though the development for that is probably underway, there is only 2 months (well a bit more then 2 months) until halloween, any suggestion should be made at least 6 month before the event if you want them included
  • Options
    They can't do anything on time.

Corona.

Or did you forget they are mostly working from home due to a pandemic?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I don't think it even needs to be a giveaway of any value. maybe a ground weapon or a shield. I DO NOT want another 20 day grind especially with QWW right around the corner, even though I never grind those ships. I cannot do that race thing to save my life. a 1 day or maybe a weekend event would be enough.. but is Halloween even a thing outside the US? I know mexico has day of the dead thing... if it is another longer event, maybe have a mini game where the player is either a trick or treater, or answering the door for trick or treaters, and something fun/strange happens every time.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    edited August 2020

And what was their excuse before the pandemic? Hmmm?
    Majority of the staff were probably focused on the Year of Klingon content being made, and are still focusing on that most likely. Don't forget Cryptic isn't as big as say Square Enix.
    Wasn't the winter event late starting too? If I am wrong about that, I will redact myself...

Don't think it was late, or if it was, very slightly. It was shortened a bit, but still plenty of time for people to get the ship and have some wiggle room.
  • Options
    nixie50 wrote: »
    but is Halloween even a thing outside the US? I know mexico has day of the dead thing... .

I am in Canada, Egypt has a holiday/tradition as do many other nations. do they do it the same way? probably not but I think 90% of the world has some kind of tradition like that to honor the dead or when the "monsters" come out to play.

If the Fek are from Klingon mythology, it would stand to reason that some of the ships could be a hybrid of older ships, most of all seeing that one klingon warlord (forgot his name) according to the domin files, convinced them to follow him instead.

as for effects on ships etc, having a ghostly aged vanity shield would be perfect as would a burning on fire effect too.
    Thinking of old ghost ship stories, another effect of having a fog following your ship when moving, stop and it "hides" your ship, or it could be a console that adds -5% accuracy from enemy ships or something.

space weapons, again a more fire like plasma would be fitting for the feks, maybe a lighting based as well for the devid aspect, kind of having a hard time with ideas for them as they only suck out your ...... energy ;) and same with the salt vampires.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They'd better follow through this year on the new Holloween 'Cats Paw' related Mission. No excuses, no White Knights (whether they say 'nee' or not).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    The "lateness" of the winter event last year (or was it the year before?) was probably from having to spin up two partial factions (with ViL and AoD) in the same year with a smaller staff than they had back when they did the Romulans. And from what I gather the seasonals always moved back and forth a little bit anyway (for instance the summer event got pushed a bit that year too, from ViL).
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    > @nixie50 said:
    > I don't think it even needs to be a giveaway of any value. maybe a ground weapon or a shield. I DO NOT want another 20 day grind especially with QWW right around the corner, even though I never grind those ships. I cannot do that race thing to save my life. a 1 day or maybe a weekend event would be enough.. but is Halloween even a thing outside the US? I know mexico has day of the dead thing... if it is another longer event, maybe have a mini game where the player is either a trick or treater, or answering the door for trick or treaters, and somappens every time.

Is Christmas as much of a thing outside of the US and maybe Britain? In Japan we just eat some cake and put small presents under kids’ bed.

Foreigners do celebrate Halloween here and get arrested for rioting in the street.

The Holiday schedule of STO will certainly be America-centric—not just because of the developers ignorance to global holidays—but because global holidays are way too diverse to account for. And guess what? Only English-speaking and European countries really watch Star Trek anyway, and STO can’t handle producing non-English content even if they wanted to.

There is a reason why ESD “political debate” is Trump-antitrump drivel.

> @ltminns said:
    > They'd better follow through this year on the new Holloween 'Cats Paw' related Mission. No excuses, no White Knights (whether they say 'nee' or not).

Lt. Minns hit it...the developers have said they were thinking of “Catspaw”—if we get a “Halloween” episode. 10 USD says that is it.
    Post edited by qultuq on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Bonnie-kin, bonnie-kin, dress all in red! Bonnie-kin, bonnie-kin, soon you'll be dead!

loved that part of the mission. was so good the very first time i heard it. wasnt expecting it and it rocked! still does. :)

Hehe... every once in a while I'll play that, and queue up the Ghostbusters theme for fun.

This is why I keep saying that they need to hire more developers, so they can actually keep up with everything. If it takes everyone to work on yet to be released projects and there's nobody to handle the promotional/seasonal activities in a timely manner, then it makes them look bad. In my opinion.

Problem with that line of thought. How will you guarantee that those Devs go to STO and not Neverwinter, Champions, or the upcoming Magic game? Cryptic has 2 other active MMOs, and one in the works. Getting a job at Cryptic probably doesn't guarantee landing a spot on the STO Dev Team. Odds are right now most of the new hires are probably being funneled over to Magic.
  • Options
    poseidolonposeidolon Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    I DO NOT want another 20 day grind especially with QWW right around the corner, even though I never grind those ships. I cannot do that race thing to save my life.

If you start the race within a few seconds of someone else doing it, more often than not, you will end up alone on the track. Then you can just walk it at your leisure.

• Options
    There's also the annual Winter Tips and Tricks thread where veterans share their knowledge.
  • Options
    And even telling them how to do 'Fastest Game on Ice' some insist they can't do it even with the rolls on every turn. They just want to whine and complain.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    They mentioned introducing a new Halloween event last year. Though, I think this either got postponed or even canned, given all we got was another Hearts and Minds.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    I think it was posponed due to not being ready yet.
  • Options
    This was way before rubberbanding provided another excuse.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.