test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Quick Klingon civil war, then Galactic Union

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
Hopefully this Klingon Civil war thing leads us finally to the Galactic Union. We've had Klingons as opponens for long and often enough, so let's quickly move on please and finally put an end to this pointless enemy-ally-cycle.

Perhaps we can also have a well-thought out storyline again then, instead of this 200-year old totally random, uninteresting and unrelatable Klingon appearing out of nowhere and suddenly being a huge threat because * she can win over half the Empire apparently with seemingly no effort at all, thus nullifying STO's entire storyline and rendering insignificant (to a significant portion of the KDF) everything the Empire and Federation have been through.

* Or actually, because an excuse was needed to shove in Discovery content if a reason from the real world had to be found. (It's fine to put Discovery content in the game. IF you actually built a proper storyline around it instead of shoehorning it in.)
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Don't worry, next villain will be Romulan
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

Nope. We're going after Admiral Leeta again. Terran Empire.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • antiquesroadshowantiquesroadshow Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Hopefully this Klingon Civil war thing leads us finally to the Galactic Union. We've had Klingons as opponens for long and often enough, so let's quickly move on please and finally put an end to this pointless enemy-ally-cycle.

Klingons as opponents?? We've been in this crappy boring "peace treaty" for years. Playing Klingons feels the same as playing till this point. You do know their not separate factions anymore?
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Nope. We're going after Admiral Leeta again. Terran Empire.

Captain "Killy" is still out there too. Who knows where Pahvo zapped her off to?
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    joshmaul wrote: »
    Captain "Killy" is still out there too. Who knows where Pahvo zapped her off to?

That is true. Wonder if she found Leeta or is going to fight her for control of Terran forces. One's pretty much a demi-goddess, the other is a technological wonder.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    I don't see anything random about this storyline, and frankly the unified people against J'mpok because she was the first person wwho decided to speak out against him I mean... christ everything she said was true. the man is a fraud and a coward
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Would have to be a Quadrant Union first. Baby steps.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Hopefully this Klingon Civil war thing leads us finally to the Federation civil war.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    Hopefully this Klingon Civil war thing leads us finally to the Federation civil war.

What would be the spark for that? The United Federation of Planets has existed since 2164 with little to no internal conflict and far I know Picard didn't show any serious internal conflict ("I disagree on what's the best use of starfleet resources" isn't strong enough to spark a civil war not by a long shot).

The Klingon Empire is (semi-)feudal in nature and as such very prone to civil wars and serious internal conflict if political disagreements grow too strong, add to that the very aggressive nature of Klingon culture and it was logical that the Klingon Empire might have civil war during STO.

UFP on the other hand is as far as we know a federal republic with an elective governmental bodies with pretty much 0 history of major internal conflicts or civil wars, closest we got was that 1 time during DS9 and even that was minor in the grand scheme of things.

TL:DR. It makes sense for the Klingon Empire to have a civil war, it would make no sense what so ever for UFP to have one.
    westmetals wrote: »
    Any sort of merging the Klingons and Federation into a single faction in game is so full of problems (technical, marketing, etc) and questions - plus it would lock the devs out of ever doing another conflict between them, storywise - that I honestly do not see it happening.

They are best (for now) represented as an alliance of separately sovereign powers. Similarly to the real-world situation of the UK+US in WWII and, to a more limited extent, afterward. (And yes, I deliberately picked two allies who had previously been at war against each other multiple times.)

I'd say a better analog would be France and Germany post WWII (or more correctly after the formation of West Germany), sure they don't always agree on this but are both trade and military allies (and yes members of the EU are independent sovereign powers just in an economic and political alliance with each other).
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The threatened succession of some smaller members of the UFP over the rescue mission in 2384-2385 could have led to some hostilities.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Hopefully this Klingon Civil war thing leads us finally to a war with the Federation .

there fix't it for ya
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

What would be the spark for that? The United Federation of Planets has existed since 2164 with little to no internal conflict and far I know Picard didn't show any serious internal conflict ("I disagree on what's the best use of starfleet resources" isn't strong enough to spark a civil war not by a long shot).

The Klingon Empire is (semi-)feudal in nature and as such very prone to civil wars and serious internal conflict if political disagreements grow too strong, add to that the very aggressive nature of Klingon culture and it was logical that the Klingon Empire might have civil war during STO.

UFP on the other hand is as far as we know a federal republic with an elective governmental bodies with pretty much 0 history of major internal conflicts or civil wars, closest we got was that 1 time during DS9 and even that was minor in the grand scheme of things.

TL:DR. It makes sense for the Klingon Empire to have a civil war, it would make no sense what so ever for UFP to have one.

Well if the rumors are to be belived and season 3 of discovery has the Federation reduced to only a handful of systems then if cryptic want to cash in on the story (as they often do) then showing the cracks might happen granted discovery is going to the 26th century i beleive but uniting the alliance stronger would mean its less likly for them to cash in on the story.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    Procyon V and all that coming up in the 26th Century. We got a ways to go and there could easily be Alliance battles between 2411 and 25xx.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Well if the rumors are to be belived and season 3 of discovery has the Federation reduced to only a handful of systems then if cryptic want to cash in on the story (as they often do) then showing the cracks might happen granted discovery is going to the 26th century i beleive but uniting the alliance stronger would mean its less likly for them to cash in on the story.

Discovery's not going into the 26th Century. She's going 900 something years ahead of 2257, which puts her even beyond Daniels time period. We're talking 33rd Century or so. And we know that Procyon V was in the 26th Century, and that the Federation is very much intact, we know that the Federation is very much intact in the 29th century because of the existance of the USS Relativity, and we know the Federation is intact in Daniels' time, which could very well be 29th-30th century. So whatever happened to the Federation... it didn't happen in the 26th or 29th centuries.
    We also have 31st Century Ships.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2020
    Either way, there's nothing in STO or Picard that would suggest that UFP would collapse in the 2410s and definetly not to the extent that it would be in peices 700 years later give or take a bit depending how accurate the 900 years estimate for where Discovery was sent was exactly 900 would put it as 3157 but there could easily be a +/- 50 years there given the time difference.

We got to remember that current year in STO is still only 2411, we're not that far from the TNG timeframe. As in we're in very early 25th century, it seems quite illogical that by the time of the 32nd century UFP wouldn't had been rebuilt if the collapse was that far away.

It's more likely that collapse suggested by season 3 of Discovery happens in the far future for STO as well.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    The threatened succession of some smaller members of the UFP over the rescue mission in 2384-2385 could have led to some hostilities.

That is unlikely go have gone beyond political debates, influence pressure games, and probably a few relatively minor protests. The whole issue is enough of an outlier in the framework of the setting over the decades of Trek that it is probably better ignored as much as possible, especially with major happenings like the Iconian war happening between Picards "then" and STO's "now".

edited July 2020
    ltminns wrote: »

That is unlikely go have gone beyond political debates, influence pressure games, and probably a few relatively minor protests. The whole issue is enough of an outlier in the framework of the setting over the decades of Trek that it is probably better ignored as much as possible, especially with major happenings like the Iconian war happening between Picards "then" and STO's "now".

We also see parts of the civilian life in Picard and it's not really as unstable and high tensioned to devolve into a civil war 12 years later, especially after major wars against a common enemy (or enemies in this case).

EDIT:It actually takes quite a lot for a nation like United Federation of Planets to devolve into a civil war, like I said earlier the national and cultural state of the Klingon Empire is much more prone into devolving into a civil war.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    keep in mind sucession threats aren't unknown as a way to try to add weight to an argument in some countries. Most democracies accept the right of member components to leave in the event of a referendum to that degree. the USA's refusal to grant their states that right is a bit of an oddity
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    or it could be that the writers of both Disco and Picard don't have any respect or give a "F" about canon
    Spock.jpg

We don't have information on those time periods, so its a clean slate for stories.

Also what does that have to do with the topic in question?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    keep in mind sucession threats aren't unknown as a way to try to add weight to an argument in some countries. Most democracies accept the right of member components to leave in the event of a referendum to that degree. the USA's refusal to grant their states that right is a bit of an oddity

The US civil war was not just because the south seceded, the US government was not exactly happy about it but they would have let it ride if Confederate forces had not attacked Fort Sumter, effectively declaring war.

In the Federation, even as early as TNG secession would be a serious economic problem for any long term member planet which did so since dialog and situations in the show strongly hinted that, like US states, the member planets drift into a kind of specialized economy where they produce what they are best at for export and import what they need but don't bother to make for themselves anymore.

The newer frontier member worlds, like Bajor, would not have that particular interworld supply chain problem, but then again they would be stuck with whatever problems made them seek membership in the first place.
    or it could be that the writers of both Disco and Picard don't have any respect or give a "F" about canon

Well considering how much little details they do get correct, details that someone who does care about canon would even notice much less care about, I'd say that they just don't care about canon seems unlikely.
This discussion has been closed.