What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ "The Year of Klingon" ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Comments

• Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    It looks exactly the same. Maybe small texture difference. I sure hope there is going to be more "new" Klingon hairstyles and actual 'new' forehead ridges then that... Besides Dreadlocks 2.0 and the same ridges we had since beta... Sigh
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    img01med.jpg

I mean't the hairstyles. The updated uniforms definitely look more like the ones on TNG and are a massive improvement.

75tAt0y.jpg

Crossing my fingers that we get women long skirt variant also.โ€‹โ€‹
    Post edited by terranempire#7881 on
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The hairstyles from the twitch are still using the same old hair models.
    Dreadlocks... Dreadlocks... More dreadlocks etc.

Instead of new ones that resemble the ones from the actual movies/shows.

3l8WMDj.jpg

I found the source of where all the dreadlocks came from... going way back to 2010 promo art.
    Patient zero:
    kwsowBw.png
    WIT_MYT_predator_hair1.jpg
    โ€‹โ€‹
  • Options
    quR6ayJ.jpg

I really thought they would have adapted the existing hair models from Kurn, Worf, Martok and made several new ones for the player models.

Even the human hair 2.0 were given new mesh models on top of the updated map textures. They did say the content would be gradually coming out so perhaps there is a small chance that they will add fresh assets eventually down the line. I have noticed that their faces look lot better than the cartoon ones that the NPCS are stuck with. It's still a long way to go before they can match Worf, Kurn, Martok and Grilka's quality. They still look out of place when in the same room as them.โ€‹โ€‹
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    This is great news! I look forward to seeing all of it
  • Options
    omgikyaomgikya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    one year of klingon content updates and the most obvious thing is being ignored: disco player klingon models.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    one year of klingon content updates and the most obvious thing is being ignored: disco player klingon models.

How do you know that is being ignored? It might be part of it.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

sbLy22w.png

FYI you can already make Uruk-Hai Orcs in-game. The ears and skin are available already to players. All you need to do is max their big ugly noses to 1000% and the same for their lips and stretch them out to ridiculous proportions. There you go rubber faced orc mask!

vImx8FL.png

If you want the uniforms I think you need to buy the "Discovery Operations Pack".โ€‹โ€‹
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,511 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: ยป

True, there is nothing like DSC Klingons anywhere else in Trek, which means they are a lot more time and effort to create than simply cleaning up old models and textures like the stuff they are coming out with at this early stage (though I suppose they could maybe steal some stuff from Neverwinter to get a head start on the DSC Klingons).
  • Options
    edited May 2020

True, there is nothing like DSC Klingons anywhere else in Trek, which means they are a lot more time and effort to create than simply cleaning up old models and textures like the stuff they are coming out with at this early stage (though I suppose they could maybe steal some stuff from Neverwinter to get a head start on the DSC Klingons).

Ignoring that their costume and ears/skin texture is already available to all players. Sure... they are sooo unique. Nothing in Trek comes close to them.

260px-Delta_Reman_Tactical.png?version=4fd05502d4744488dd5efab8a67374be

*Cough*

/Sarcasmโ€‹โ€‹
  • Options

Ignoring that their costume and ears/skin texture is already available to all players. Sure... they are sooo unique. Nothing in Trek comes close to them.

260px-Delta_Reman_Tactical.png?version=4fd05502d4744488dd5efab8a67374be

*Cough*

/Sarcasmโ€‹โ€‹

Just because they both have latex put on with a shovel does not mean DSC Klingons and Remans have anything much in common model and texture wise. If they put a Reman in the Klingon generator it still would not look like anything but a Reman in a Klingon uniform, even with hair.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Please... They both look like Nosferatu. Jokes aside the Discovery texture is available to players. It's literally in-game. Their ears are available. Their skin is available. Even their uniform is available behind pricey $$$ tag. You are asking for things that are already available.

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/sto_gamepedia/thumb/6/66/Klingon_2256.png/1200px-Klingon_2256.png

You can get closer to this DSC S1 Orc look than people trying to get the iconic TNG\DS9\ENT look.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Please... They both look like Nosferatu. Jokes aside the Discovery texture is available to players. It's literally in-game. Their ears are available. Their skin is available. Even their uniform is available behind pricey $$$ tag. You are asking for things that are already available.

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/sto_gamepedia/thumb/6/66/Klingon_2256.png/1200px-Klingon_2256.png

You can get closer to this DSC S1 Orc look than people trying to get the iconic TNG\DS9\ENT look.

Reman look reasonably like Nosferatu, but DSC Klingons don't that much, they look more like some of the gargoyle types without wings or like some interpretations of orcs, or even some types of troll. Their skin looks somewhat shiny, almost like they have been coated in shellac (more or less the natural rubber surface) whereas nosferatu skin is traditionally matte for one thing.

For another, nosferatu usually do not have the weird planes and raised ridges, their features are formed by more or less typical human facial muscles that are hardened and somewhat knotted with none of the padding a live human face has so things like the eye ridges and other bone features seem exaggerated a bit. They do not have "ridges", they have deep insets that can give the illusion of ridges to some degree.
  • Options
    Orcs don't have ridges either. You're completely missing the point and possibly the joke. I could also say they remind me of vampires from Buffy... I mean they look like monsters. They literally resemble all the parts from all these things except TNG/ENT/DS9/TOS/TMP Klingons.
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I like the disco Klingon ships, really warmed to them. I understand why they went the way they did with the "orcs" but hard pass on doing a toon. My Klingon alts are a Gorn science and 23rd century Klingon and will pretty much stay along those lines. May do an Orion harem if I find a ship with a bridge that can show them off properly.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @fallenkezef#4581 said:
    > May do an Orion harem if I find a ship with a bridge that can show them off properly.

That would be a female orion captain and an all male orion crew.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,325 Arc User
    It is as i feared it would be: This is the beginning of the Year of Hell. One fashion disaster after another.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    paladinrja#5247 paladinrja Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure they'll look at including Ha'tesh's model as a selectable template (Head type category), as well as that of the Kelvin timeline Klingons (helms off appearance), through the course of working on the reimage. As it stands, its a lot of mucking around to merely get close to either type. I don't even think the Kelvin complextions are available at all (or even created in the game) as of yet; come to think of it?

The taxonomy of the Klingons on the other hand, is fairly well represented I feel. More detail is always welcome.

Its early days yet. So far, they've taken what assets are already established in the game, and used that to illustrate what's ready to go first. -- Above all though, most of us whom play Klingons are looking forward to the various bug fixes that can sometimes make playing the faction, no small amount of hassle. Some of which have been around for years.

For me, the description in the initial announcement created a kinda loose roadmap in my head of what to expect; perhaps a graphical one might better form others? Dunno..

Echoing what a lot of people have asked for around the interwebs; a t5-U Vo'quv / Vod'Leh (at least) would be most welcome somewhere in this process.

XBOX One GT: Paladinrja
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    It's not impossible to get unique NPC hair it would just mean a lot of work for Cryptic since they'd have to either essentially "cut" the NPC hair from the model and modify it so that it works with all sizes and shapes of player models or redo it from scratch to work with player models.

The reason why unique NPCs have better quality hair then generic NPCs or players (who both use the same system) is that players come in all shapes and sizes while unique NPC have exactly 1 shape and size they need to fit into and thus devs don't have to worry how the hair style would look on different body type.

As for the dreadlocks I think they came about as compromise of klingons typically having long hair and the game not having hair physics thus dreds being fairly immobile (for hair that is) and long were the best option since loose hair would look bad as it would be as stiff as steel and either constantly clipping or glued to the shoulders of the NPC.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And standardize the Color Pallette with all these Character updates already!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I actually wonder how hard it would be to just separate the colour swatches, in tabs based on material types. -- So when you click on a colour button, the menu that pops-up is tabbed at the top. Just select the material type and then the colour set.

My klingons in kelvin outfits, sporting pastels; isn't really at I had in mind for them..
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    IIRC, Cryptic has said in the past that it is unlikely we will ever get the unique hair of major NPCs, because said major NPCs like Kurn, Worf, Martok, etc. etc. aren't built like other NPCs/characters.

Normal NPCs/player characters are essentially Lego people, where each part of the body is basically just a snappable item that can be changed. Major NPCs like the ones mentioned above are built with their entire face/head built as one singular item. Characters like Kurn/Martok don't have unqiue "hair" they have a unique head.

This is also why we are unlikely to get things like Killy's hair.

And yet we have both Seven of Nines hairstyle models available to fed players. I said they could adapt them for player models/npcs use. I swear I sometimes feel like I am playing a different game from most forum users I meet frequently here.
    It's not impossible to get unique NPC hair it would just mean a lot of work for Cryptic since they'd have to either essentially "cut" the NPC hair from the model and modify it so that it works with all sizes and shapes of player models or redo it from scratch to work with player models.

The reason why unique NPCs have better quality hair then generic NPCs or players (who both use the same system) is that players come in all shapes and sizes while unique NPC have exactly 1 shape and size they need to fit into and thus devs don't have to worry how the hair style would look on different body type.
    And standardize the Color Pallette with all these Character updates already!!

Yes please. I am tired of the mismatched palette and muddy colours.

As for the dreadlocks I think they came about as compromise of klingons typically having long hair and the game not having hair physics thus dreds being fairly immobile (for hair that is) and long were the best option since loose hair would look bad as it would be as stiff as steel and either constantly clipping or glued to the shoulders of the NPC.

Well most of the Federation long hair doesn't have hair physics. Even after they updated them to give some of the older hair styles some movement it was restricted to mostly hair tails. Newest long hair from Seven at least from my memory doesn't have movement physics. I am not buying that the dreadlocks were used to make it look better. Even dreadlocks have movement and don't stay glued neatly in one place when moving.

It was probably just artistic licence. I mean look at the 2010 zombie walking dead borg drones. They don't exactly look anything close to the ones on live screen.โ€‹โ€‹
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    And yet we have both Seven of Nines hairstyle models available to fed players. I said they could adapt them for player models/npcs use. I swear I sometimes feel like I am playing a different game from most forum users I meet frequently here.

Yeah, the 3 most recent special NPC hairstyles are all available for players: Voyager era Seven, Picard era Seven, and Michael Burnham. A few more just off the top of my head: Tom Paris and Harry Kim.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    ismalaoismalao Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    KDF ad Federation characters partyes, PLEASE!!!
    I am so tired of requesting this, and now is the best oportunity. Please, ALLOW KDF and Federatios players the party invite to do PvE queues! Allow Kdf and Federation players to form groups for PvE queues! The War is over, and not being able to invite your friend from the other faction to a PvE farm group is already ridiculous. Please!
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    KDF ad Federation characters partyes, PLEASE!!!
    I am so tired of requesting this, and now is the best oportunity. Please, ALLOW KDF and Federatios players the party invite to do PvE queues! Allow Kdf and Federation players to form groups for PvE queues! The War is over, and not being able to invite your friend from the other faction to a PvE farm group is already ridiculous. Please!

I kind of have a feeling that the ability to not be able to form the group beforehand with Klingon-Fed mixed parties is due to the deeply rooted code that separates the two into factions in in the first place. The code that handles the faction split outside of the Queues probably prevents grouping up this way.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    edited May 2020

sbLy22w.png

FYI you can already make Uruk-Hai Orcs in-game. The ears and skin are available already to players. All you need to do is max their big ugly noses to 1000% and the same for their lips and stretch them out to ridiculous proportions. There you go rubber faced orc mask!

vImx8FL.png

If you want the uniforms I think you need to buy the "Discovery Operations Pack".โ€‹โ€‹

Can we please bring this thread back to the Year of Klingon instead of your personal interpretation of a Klingon? Sorry to burst your bubble but the Klingons in Star Trek: Discovery are Klingons whether you like it or not. Enough with the true Scotsman fallacy! Also, the difference to the Klingons' appearance is stylistic, who knows maybe it will change again during S3 whenever that happens. Otherwise, I do not see the Orc to them. So in conclusion the DSC Klingons are real Klingons. If you want to not believe that, that is up to you. Stop with the gatekeeping please! Thanks. :)
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    > @fallenkezef#4581 said:
    > May do an Orion harem if I find a ship with a bridge that can show them off properly.

That would be a female orion captain and an all male orion crew.

Get yourself one of those Son'a ships. I'm pretty sure there the ones with that velvet looking luvseat lol.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Can we please bring this thread back to the Year of Klingon instead of our personal interpretation of a Klingon? Sorry to burst your bubble but the Klingons in Star Trek: Discovery are Klingons whether you like it or not. Enough with the true Scotsman fallacy! Also, the difference to the Klingons' appearance is stylistic, who knows maybe it will change again during S3 whenever that happens. Otherwise, I do not see the Orc to them. So in conclusion the DSC Klingons are real Klingons. If you want to not believe that, that is up to you. Stop with the gatekeeping please! Thanks. :)
    Yep, well said. ๐Ÿ‘

Recently I was watching "For the love of Spock" on netflix (I think) and in the docco, Leonard Nimmoy (among many others) made it pretty clear that budget per episode / film; directly determined what they could do in either. Especially where the creature shop is concerned, its very much an evolving process. -- Now, I think I read somewhere that DSC episodes are up to $11 million each? Pretty sure thats the highest Star Trek has ever had to work with per episode and the result is marvelous!
This discussion has been closed.