test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is no one interested in content expansion? Habitable Biomes!

Comments

• Options
    paladinrja#5247 paladinrja Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Being Star Trek however, I find it hard to believe they are running out of ideas; that could be implying many factors. Not merely what to base each upon?
    https://priorityonepodcast.com/po387/
    There is so much new Star Trek coming out, right? How much we can leverage is overwhelming at this point now. I was coming up on like geez, what are we gonna do now. I have like a couple new stories that I want to take Star Trek Online, but then I was kinda running out of ideas. We hit every quadrant, we hit every major thing. I mean wow, every so often I would go back and be yeah thats right man, this is like a fanboy's dream, I can't believe it. I opened up my Connie and its like oh yeah I got a corbomite maneuver on there. How esoteric is that? It's wonderful that we have that level of detail, and fanservice, in our game. But now we've got Age of Discovery, we've got the Picard show, we've got the animated show, who knows whatever else they might be coming out with, and we're working with CBS. I mean CBS was just here about a month ago talking about what Discovery is doing, and what CBS is doing, and we get spoilers, and we get info, and how can we leverage that? You know, for stuff that hasn't even come out yet. We're already in those discussions. What can we do? So I don't think for a second that it's a bad thing that we're no longer the only place to get Star Trek. I think all it does is give us, puts us more in the forefront, and I think it'll just make us more popular, and more accessible to all the new and old fans.

https://priorityonepodcast.com/po414/
    27:00
    "We were getting to a dry spell. What other stories are we gonna do? Because we were running out. I had like one more arc I wanted to get into, but I was really kinda running out of ideas. Now we have too many ideas"

https://priorityonepodcast.com/428-myceli-al-priority-one-a-roddenberry-star-trek-podcast/
    57:57
    "Becuase after 10 years, like what are we going to do next? We were like we had a few more stories to do but it was getting harder to come up with new stuff"

Yeah, he's talking less about "ideas" to base content on, and more about engaging ways to implement them in a game, withhout running into the fatigue of covering old ground. -- again, he's acknowledging the sameyness of what players are doing. / gaming is a doing thing / this thread is focused expanding upon what players can do?

Which is largely why this thread exists. Implementing other mechanics, automagically offers paths to find engaging ways to forward ideas gleaned from the shows. Not just with upencoming content, but backwards to be able to do things you couldn't before.

Innovation.
    XBOX One GT: Paladinrja
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    coldnapalm wrote: »

I'm sorry...but I don't think you understand even REMOTELY what is required for your idea to be implemented.

Lol, actually, I kinda think I do..
    -- Therefore, yes, we're essentially asking them to shift focus to this idea based around a sandbox.

I read the rest of your post, an interesting read that tells me a lot about you; alas I'm not even REMOTELY impressed with melodrama, Lol
  • Options

I'm sorry...but I don't think you understand even REMOTELY what is required for your idea to be implemented.

-- Therefore, yes, we're essentially asking them to shift focus to this idea based around a sandbox.

I read the rest of your post, an interesting read that tells me a lot about you; alas I'm not even REMOTELY impressed with melodrama, Lol

Hey Cryptic, I know you ran a MMO successfully for 10 years now...something that only a HANDFUL of companies have managed to do...but you know you should listen to me because I know better. Yeah...you are exactly like what I said you are.

Grow up.
  • Options
    ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @paladinrja#5247 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Lol, theres no such thing as too grand an idea. -- That said, I've mostly been drawing an image of what one can do, given the tools to do it with. -- Which was how I'd hoped the discussion would go..
    >
    > Starting with a basic setup, developing what one can do as it expands is going to take care of itself. These games do exist.
    >
    > I feel the overall general sentiment in this games community, right now, is that the space combat is very well defined, and works well with general tweaking. Most of the games systems do, comfortably. So it follows that people are looking for more to do in it away from that. Especially where the result is bringing them closer to their image of Star Trek. -- given that's not exactly the same for everyone (we are not borg, afterall..) then creating the means for players to do so, seems only logical.

You didn't finish the sentence..."...too grand for STO".
    Of course ideas can be too grand for a particular setting. What you are proposing is simply a non-starter considering the resources required.

It's well and good to come up with ideas for what you think would be great in game but it's much more sensible to come up with something that is practical and might actually happen then see if they can grow it from there.
    This game survives by semi regular small content drops and new ships. Your proposal would require massive resources to be put in, this would kill off their current projects for a while so really it isn't practical.

I'm suggesting that instead of coming up with grand schemes that border on a new game, try starting smaller and explore where and how you grow that with as little developer resources as possible so that you reach something that could actually be done rather than pie in the sky daydreams.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Hey Cryptic, I know you ran a MMO successfully for 10 years now...something that only a HANDFUL of companies have managed to do...but you know you should listen to me because I know better. Yeah...you are exactly like what I said you are.

Grow up.

You first. Wanna keep up this infantile comments until your thread gets shut down or do you want to have an actual grown up discussion with actual content for discussion? Say what you want about Som...he at least say something...even if it is wrong.

Lol, Whenever you wanna get back on topic. -- "Threads open", man.

However, if you do; I'd like you to understand that no one needs a degree in software development to make a request, here. Or discuss any thing to do with the game; no matter how complex you or anyone else thinks it sounds. -- So no need to be making threats, attempting to belittle other posters, or find creative ways to derail the discussion.

The premise of this thread stems from my own life experiences. I work in global resources (mining), which I began as an underwater bioly -- Decades later and my position has evolved to, yes, include project development and also business development ; which are just a couple of the many demands placed upon me (lol). Everything from shuts, refits to construction; of part, or entire plant. -- I didn't get there because I quit at the first knockback, and I've suffered many. Most professionals do; which does tend to keep one grounded.

Yet, developing broad based projects is precisely whats at the root of this gaming idea (logic based gaming) You can imagine my work has taken me in all sorts of places. Not just under water, but under ground, inside mountains; even under water, under mountains! -- Each is a unique biome with unique challenges. Sometimes wonderful, sometimes haunting. It's always humbling and has afforded me a great deal of patience. I can imagine outer-space would take this to another level; and there is plenty of fodder for creative ideas there, with this.

It wasn't that long ago, I recall members lamenting being unable to fight the Elachi Qulash in landing mode (resembling a walker); during the Mycelial event? -- I also seem to recall a Romulan only mission in the Rhi system involving that exact scenario, only using a shuttle. I think it was "The Best Defence"? Even the awesome end cinematic to Rura Penthe in the Klingon arc sets a precedent for a possible encounter. -- eg. Fight Klingon forces that call in a BoP.

Its not that hard to imagine using these as a subset of possible random encounters. Or altering the scenario to introduce ground assault vehicles (expanding on Delta ops). There are precedents from ToS to Discovery where difficulty with sensors rendered transporters inoperable, in various scenario's. -- and the mechanics already exist in the game to make a start. -- I doubt very much its going to impact on ship sales and of course, may inspire new products. Not the least being build packs and new event items. Perhaps a console that can be slotted into a station and increase efficiency, yield, or even alter how resources are refined? Theres another ten years there, if they want. I also seem to recall Ultima Online is still running, now since 1997! and there are others I'm sure.

Lastly, the reason why I'm trying to steer discussion away from the technical / business aspects, is because nothing useful can come of it here. I've repeatedly stated I'm quite sure the games producers have these things well in hand. Any such conversation would need to be had with the games producers (devs) and I'm also quite sure they'll want to qualify credentials before wasting their time. -- Creating things with data has been a hobby of mine since I was first introduced to it in 1983; and I still don't feel the need to pose, or claim I'm something, I'm not.

So, thats the thread. Does it interest you? -- What would you like to see / do?

If discussing playing a game is too infantile for you, then I honestly have to wonder what you are doing here at all..

So, with that out of the way, lets get back on topic shall we? -- The aim is to let others express themselves based on an idea. Try to gel with that if possible; otherwise, feel free to exercise the better part of valour..
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > We are MONSTERS in this game.

Someone please, buy that Man a beer!

“And we wore that shame as rarified monsters in a world of beasts; n’er a man to be found....”
  • Options
    edited April 2020

It's well and good to come up with ideas for what you think would be great in game
    Yep! So lets have an exhaustive discussion about that! -- and not quash other posters.. :smiley:
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I hate to say it OP, but honestly I think your idea is far too grand for STO and would really require a massive rework of too much to be reasonable. Interesting but not practical.

I would be happy if they just started by creating a captains cabin on the ship. You select from one of several era styled designs then add in details as you like. Maybe add in a few trophies and souvenirs that you collect similar to the old helmet and painting you pick up as a romulan.

Start off with something relatively easy like this to get it right then look into expanding it to bases or planets.

as mentioned previous, and was attempted some time ago, the bridges you see available were designed with this in mind. but no one really uses them as expected or intended.
    maybe people forget they have one? maybe its because they didnt provide enough "stuff" to decorate or alter them? many things came up during this time and were discussed, such as this topic, but eventually you see where it is at with bridges.

heck, i cant even recall if that mission is available anymore where you go to your own bridge to do a few things. havent seen it at all with my new toons.

also - bridge plaques. this was a thing as well, not sure if it still either. have seen that for a time as well.

so for sake of enjoyment and information, aside from the naysayers in this thread, i find it an "alternate" means of keeping subs and gaining new ones. although pew pew is fun and its whats there, thats not all that needs to be.

peace out.

No, it's not that no one uses them, just a very small percentage of the player base does. However, it would be best to remember, there is a difference between no one using them, and no use given to them. There was never a use given to ship interiors, other than a few odds and ends doff assignments. Which is why bridges don't sell well, they have never been given a use in game.

As an example, we can apply a use for a bridge. Having to be on your bridge to report at the end of an episode.

So, the fact the ship interiors and bridges aren't hardly used, is more Cryptic's fault, than the players.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    > @paladinrja#5247 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Yep! So lets have an exhaustive discussion about that! -- and not quash other posters.. :smiley:

If you are simply throwing out ideas for what you want in the next star trek game, and ignoring or insulting anyone who does not agree with you then that's fine. Just don't present it as anything resembling a logical discussion relating to STO. Remember just because your ideas are dumb doesn't mean we won't listen to you :smile:
  • Options
    trennan wrote: »
    I hate to say it OP, but honestly I think your idea is far too grand for STO and would really require a massive rework of too much to be reasonable. Interesting but not practical.

I would be happy if they just started by creating a captains cabin on the ship. You select from one of several era styled designs then add in details as you like. Maybe add in a few trophies and souvenirs that you collect similar to the old helmet and painting you pick up as a romulan.

Start off with something relatively easy like this to get it right then look into expanding it to bases or planets.

as mentioned previous, and was attempted some time ago, the bridges you see available were designed with this in mind. but no one really uses them as expected or intended.
    maybe people forget they have one? maybe its because they didnt provide enough "stuff" to decorate or alter them? many things came up during this time and were discussed, such as this topic, but eventually you see where it is at with bridges.

heck, i cant even recall if that mission is available anymore where you go to your own bridge to do a few things. havent seen it at all with my new toons.

also - bridge plaques. this was a thing as well, not sure if it still either. have seen that for a time as well.

so for sake of enjoyment and information, aside from the naysayers in this thread, i find it an "alternate" means of keeping subs and gaining new ones. although pew pew is fun and its whats there, thats not all that needs to be.

peace out.

No, it's not that no one uses them, just a very small percentage of the player base does. However, it would be best to remember, there is a difference between no one using them, and no use given to them. There was never a use given to ship interiors, other than a few odds and ends doff assignments. Which is why bridges don't sell well, they have never been given a use in game.

As an example, we can apply a use for a bridge. Having to be on your bridge to report at the end of an episode.

So, the fact the ship interiors and bridges aren't hardly used, is more Cryptic's fault, than the players.

i could see this as a possibility...

end of mission, go to bridge, hail the correct person, get the results...etc.

go to the transporter area, talk with tech at the station, have them beam in the rewards box, walk over and retrieve it. go to CPTs room, and open it.

i could dig this.
    trennan wrote: »

peace out.

i could see this as a possibility...

end of mission, go to bridge, hail the correct person, get the results...etc.

go to the transporter area, talk with tech at the station, have them beam in the rewards box, walk over and retrieve it. go to CPTs room, and open it.

i could dig this.

I could get into that as well. The only problem is the "We want easier and faster." crowd. They'd scream extremely loudly at having to take a few extra steps to get their reward. So, if this were implemented, it would be advisable for Cryptic and the rest of the player base to go buy some earplugs to block that out.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    For the most part, in the past, you had to go back to the NPC to turn in the Mission (Foreman in the Staging Area, etc.).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    What if the rewards accumulated after missions until the next time you visited a starbase?

There could even be NPC starships that went out from the starbase and you could rendezvous with them and receive rewards. Ships were always meeting up in the show, would be interesting to be looking to link up with one in sector space to pick up rewards if you didn't want to go back to esd. In such a case you would use the bridge to talk to the other commander and set up the transfer?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    > @paladinrja#5247 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Yep! So lets have an exhaustive discussion about that! -- and not quash other posters.. :smiley:

If you are simply throwing out ideas for what you want in the next star trek game, and ignoring or insulting anyone who does not agree with you then that's fine. Just don't present it as anything resembling a logical discussion relating to STO. Remember just because your ideas are dumb doesn't mean we won't listen to you :smile:

I don't remember 'insulting' anyone; but if you are referring to my calling a certain, unacceptable type of behavior 'fraudulent'. Its not intended as insult, but merely criticism. I'm fine with people not agreeing with me; just not drawing on interpreted facts in order to do so; just because god-only-knows-what triggered a spike in their ire.

Being a public forum. Its probably better if one takes the stance that everyone has access to the same information. Most sincere conversationalist and debaters, will enquire of you, clarification if need be. This doesn't mean spam them with block quotes, but is an offer for you to explain your stance, honestly.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    edited April 2020

What SHOULD have been done was have it where all sector-based DOff assignments would come from interacting with your department heads in the ship interior by default. A convenience item should have been sold for Zen which would allow using the current interface to bypass the need to go to the bridge... After all, CONVENIENCE and COSMETIC items were what the C-store was supposed to be for... Maybe include the option with the lifetime subscription. After all, Doffing pretty much simulates managing the crew of one's ship.

There are probably all sorts of uses for ship interiors that can be linked to new gameplay loops.

That was how it worked back in 2012. It was fun to do once or twice but got old fast.

It's the same with going back to your contact to collect a reward and to get your next mission. Fun at first, annoying later.

In 2012 it was:

- Talk to contact, beam up, depart sector, go through multiple sector map changes at normal warp (no slipstream) to reach a system,
    - play episode
    - go through multiple sector map changes to return to your contact's system, enter system, beam down, talk to contact to get reward

Repeat for every single episode. The back and forth travel busy work chewed up a lot of time that most people would rather spend doing the fun stuff, i.e. actually playing the episodes.
  • Options
    I didn't realize I manage to hit the nail so squarely in the head. So your life experience is to toss out "big ideas" and get people to listen to you while other people figure it out. So why are we not listening to the people figuring things out again and ignoring you entirely? Why more business does this is beyond me.

And people lamented that the Qulash that WE got didn't turn into a walker...not that you don't get to fight them...because you do. And we DID have random encounters...it was TERRIBLE. SO bad they removed it as pretty much NOBODY used it and to maintain it from update to update was not worth the dev time. They have shown what the limit of their random generated content was...and it wasn't good. We know this. Yes they can put that back easily...but putting back a failed content seems kinda like a dumb idea to me.

So...NOTHING useful comes from discussion of what can or can not be done...yep...project manager all over again. You realize that question is the FIRST thing you should be asking...right?

mr-t-lol.gif

Lol! Aside from the fact your reading comprehension is atrocious.. -- I'm actually curious as to, how it is you (concisely) feel people should format requests?
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > What SHOULD have been done was have it where all sector-based DOff assignments would come from interacting with your department heads in the ship interior by default. A convenience item should have been sold for Zen which would allow using the current interface to bypass the need to go to the bridge... After all, CONVENIENCE and COSMETIC items were what the C-store was supposed to be for... Maybe include the option with the lifetime subscription. After all, Doffing pretty much simulates managing the crew of one's ship.
    >

Tacofang once pointed out he thought having people go to the bridge during travel would be interesting but because your character is either a ship or a person—there would be no way to track your travel without an elaborate timer system.

But that already assumes the sector map. Maybe it would have been more interesting if rather than full galaxy maps they did just have timers and you could hang out and doff in the ready room.

I like having your assigned bridge officer have some meaning beyond doffing. I got Romulans flying my ship. So in most mission interactions I don’t even see my bridge crew. It is bad for immersion but good for shooting things.

I agree that the argument is bad that interiors aren’t developed because they do not sell. When the doff system was first introduced—ship interiors were way more interesting.

And if space Barbie is the endgame as it is often said—space Barbie interiors could be monetized I suppose...

I still am not sure what a biome is. Is that like that 1980s movie?

Why are you bioming underwater and inside mountains? Are there Iconians in those biomes?
    Post edited by qultuq on
  • Options
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > What SHOULD have been done was have it where all sector-based DOff assignments would come from interacting with your department heads in the ship interior by default. A convenience item should have been sold for Zen which would allow using the current interface to bypass the need to go to the bridge... After all, CONVENIENCE and COSMETIC items were what the C-store was supposed to be for... Maybe include the option with the lifetime subscription. After all, Doffing pretty much simulates managing the crew of one's ship.
    >

Tacofang once pointed out he thought having people go to the bridge during travel would be interesting but because your character is either a ship or a person—there would be no way to track your travel without an elaborate timer system.

But that already assumes the sector map. Maybe it would have been more interesting if rather than full galaxy maps they did just have timers and you could hang out and doff in the ready room.

I like having your assigned bridge officer have some meaning beyond doffing. I got Romulans flying my ship. So in most mission interactions I don’t even see my bridge crew. It is bad for immersion but good for shooting things.

I agree that the argument is bad that interiors aren’t developed because they do not sell. When the doff system was first introduced—ship interiors were way more interesting.

And if space Barbie is the endgame as it is often said—space Barbie interiors could be monetized I suppose...

I still am not sure what a biome is. Is that like that 1980s movie?

Why are you bioming underwater and mountains? Are there Iconians in those biomes?

A biome is a community of plants and animals that have common characteristics for the environment they exist in. They can be found over a range of continents. Biomes are distinct biological communities that have formed in response to a shared physical climate.

An enclosure around one of these, say for an asteroid base, would be called a Biodome.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.