test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is no one interested in content expansion? Habitable Biomes!

Comments

• Options
    paladinrja#5247 paladinrja Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    The same position I always make in these situations.

If you are going to suggest a high level concept such as this, you should be willing to provide a lengthy explanation of all the various facets of how such a system would work. Not doing so just leads to a "vague nothingness" argument, i.e. an argument based around phrases like "they need to make it more complex", "it needs to be integrated into other systems better", "there needs to be more depth to it!", "it should be tied into missions and TFOs" and other such things that, on a superficial level seem like they are saying something, but ultimately don't as there is nothing of substance there to actually describe how you expect them to do so.

People can talk about these sorts of things until they are blue in the face, but until they actually manage to provide a comprehensive explanation of how it should be implemented, and do so in a way that isn't easily broken down into a million reason why it won't work, doing so isn't going to help the game grow at all. This is why stuff like the "Frequently Created Topics" lists exist, because people talked about ideas that the devs have already said can't/wont happen to the point it became such a problem that they needed to clamp down on it.

Would I like most of the things people suggest like a new Foundry, customizable whatever, a new exploration system, etc. etc.? Yes. I will however be the first one to point out why it isn't going to happen at the same time.

Lol, I can just imagine Cryptic staff would be thrilled! (and extremely worried at the same time..) if someone could actually do as you're suggesting..

I'm also sure you don't actually mean to broadcast you're comfortable acting the habitual fraud, either.. and theres no need to get devensive. Aside from the splitting hairs and not actually replying to my previous post. It wasn't even necessary to do so.

None of us actually work building the game [HINT!]. So lets keep conversation on that level and not go into that trippy realm of strange suggestions and elevated presumptions. Ok, it just makes things flow better.
    XBOX One GT: Paladinrja
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    The same position I always make in these situations.

If you are going to suggest a high level concept such as this, you should be willing to provide a lengthy explanation of all the various facets of how such a system would work. Not doing so just leads to a "vague nothingness" argument, i.e. an argument based around phrases like "they need to make it more complex", "it needs to be integrated into other systems better", "there needs to be more depth to it!", "it should be tied into missions and TFOs" and other such things that, on a superficial level seem like they are saying something, but ultimately don't as there is nothing of substance there to actually describe how you expect them to do so.

People can talk about these sorts of things until they are blue in the face, but until they actually manage to provide a comprehensive explanation of how it should be implemented, and do so in a way that isn't easily broken down into a million reason why it won't work, doing so isn't going to help the game grow at all. This is why stuff like the "Frequently Created Topics" lists exist, because people talked about ideas that the devs have already said can't/wont happen to the point it became such a problem that they needed to clamp down on it.

Would I like most of the things people suggest like a new Foundry, customizable whatever, a new exploration system, etc. etc.? Yes. I will however be the first one to point out why it isn't going to happen at the same time.

Lol, I can just imagine Cryptic staff would be thrilled! (and extremely worried at the same time..) if someone could actually do as you're suggesting..

I'm also sure you don't actually mean to broadcast you're comfortable acting the habitual fraud, either.. and theres no need to get devensive. Aside from the splitting hairs and not actually replying to my previous post. It wasn't even necessary to do so.

None of us actually work building the game [HINT!]. So lets keep conversation on that level and not go into that trippy realm of strange suggestions and elevated presumptions. Ok, it just makes things flow better.

Yup, the one thing I mentioned in one of my posts. Is that you have to keep in mind how it could be monetized. If the potential profit is worth the cost of dev time. Then there is a chance that it would get done. I didn't add any monetization ideas to my last suggestion post. Was sort of dealing with real life issues at the same time.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

The basic point here is that it'd be a ridiculous amount of work. whether it could be done was never in question. The question is how long, and how much manpower is needed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    basilieusbasilieus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I would like to see some more playable factions/characters.

Section 31 - Sloan (or a shadowy minion) approaches a cadet just before graduation. "Based on your scores and aptitudes we would like to offer you a role with Section 31".
    Some of the existing missions could be tweaked to retain items to pass over to Section 31 or indeed some missions might require you to "fail them" to support Section 31 outcomes.

Mirror Universe - get to stab, slash, betray your way through the mirror universe - and come across on some missions/tasks like Counterpoint style TFO.

A Freelancer - whether a self taught/natural pilot who starts out with a basic ship or a Starfleet/KDF/Rom academy washout or former member. Missions and Trade/Pirate opportunities gained from Quark, Drozana Station or other shady areas of stations. And have some shipyards more along the lines of the US Airforce Boneyard/Firefly shipyard/Starfleet disposal shipyard, with the older ships allowed to be upgraded with "stolen tech and mission reward tech - kind of a Marquis style character but wider ranging not just against Cardassians. Promotion still based on experience points and level tokens for more powerful ships, but xp points based on value traded/pirated/rescue missions etc. Not 100% sure just would like a new character that doesnt have to repeat the same missions as every other character.

Marquis - always a challenge to be the underdog.

A Q event combining Next Gen and Voyager - Q being Q flicks you away into an unexplored region (Q sending Enterprise D into its first interaction with the Borg). Your ship is disabled and you have to use a shuttle to interact with local planets to trade for critical parts. Interactions both good and bad - get some items after doing tasks for a race, but also may trigger attacks from unfriendly races (Voyager). Morale choice to follow Prime Directive or ignore to gather critical items.

A Q event along the lines of "The Q and the Grey" even as a TFO.

And finally more Iconic Trek locations to visit - Sisko restaurant, Vic's Bar (Quarks Holosuite), Chateau Picard, more Starbases and some planetside facilities - Terrafrming Stations/The Duckblind (Insurrection) and the full exterior/interior of some of the iconic ships as museums/displays - as mentioned in Voyager and every time travel/temporal episode. A couple of iconics could be "parked" next to the Academy locations - or beam up to them from those locations.

What about the ability for players to participate in some actual events - not just sending DOFFs to missions ie Poker Games, Anbo-jyutsu tournaments, Tsunkatse (Voyager), more and better use of Holodecks for both training (melee fighting and weapons ranges as well as tagging along on one of Bashir and O'Briens historical battles.

Devs - should keep you employed until the 20 year event - then we might have some more wants/needs for you - hey - lifetime employment. While you are at home in Covid 19 self isolation watch some Original, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery and Picard - and the movies and get inspired.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yeah, with some people losing their minds over the Kobalis or the Mirror Universe Agony Weapons anything that can be construed as morally suspect would never fly. We're not talking the greatest generation here.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    basilieus wrote: »
    Mirror Universe - get to stab, slash, betray your way through the mirror universe - and come across on some missions/tasks like Counterpoint style TFO.
    On this point specifically, Cryptic has already said no to a Mirror Universe faction because of the overwhelmingly negative reaction to having to do "evil", or even morally gray, things such as the Kobali arc, or having to protomatter bomb a planet in "Renegade's Regret", has shown them that most people don't really want to be as evil as something like the Mirror Universe would require.
    The Maquis were completely wiped out by the Cardassian/Dominion alliance in DS9, and the only notable group of survivors were those on Voyager, who had already given it up by the time they learned of it.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Maquis

In the aftermath of the Cardassian and Dominion offensive, only small pockets of Maquis remained, isolated and completely impotent. Aside from those Maquis who had been captured by the Federation and imprisoned, the largest group of survivors were from Eddington's former cell on Athos IV – and even then, only a few dozen members managed to survive, usually ending up in Federation prisons.

Not completely wiped out. Just pushed to a point of not being able to do anything.

Renegades Regret, ehh I had no problems with the firing of the torpedo. I would have fired 3 or 4 just to be sure had it let me.

Kobali, had the game not forced the rhetoric that it did and allowed me to, I would have sided with the Vaaduar and exterminated every zombie, err I mean Kobali, I saw.

These are reason most of my characters are by story not longer attached to a faction, or was never a part of one to begin with. The whole "friendship is magic" drivel is rather disgusting to me. The only character I maintain a faction connection on is my klingon, who is a stalwart Imperialist. She cares not about the other factions, all that matter is the Empire.

Each of the current factions can been seen as either good or evil, it just depends on what perspective you look at them from.

Right now, I admire the Voth and their unwavering stance on not making friends with the Alliance.

If we had a faction that opposed the Alliance and would never make friends with them. I'd jump on joining that one in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it's likely to never happen, because to have an opposing faction like this, they'd have to actually support PvP. Which they haven't since 2013.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    trennan wrote: »
    Yup, the one thing I mentioned in one of my posts. Is that you have to keep in mind how it could be monetized. If the potential profit is worth the cost of dev time. Then there is a chance that it would get done. I didn't add any monetization ideas to my last suggestion post. Was sort of dealing with real life issues at the same time.
    The basic point here is that it'd be a ridiculous amount of work. whether it could be done was never in question. The question is how long, and how much manpower is needed.

Yeah, guys? -- Nobody asked

The question asked is "are you interested"?

We all know it costs time and money. Like most players whom boot up the game, we're acutely aware of the multi-million & billion dollar, names, behind the development of this game; plastered on the screen, before we can even login to our accounts! Lol!

Also, like the vast majority of subscribers, this disingenuous minutiae you're stuck on, isn't our problem because we don't have all the facts anyway. Don't work there. Can't effectively change anything. -- We're only concerned with what 'WE DO' in the game; and are quite sure its producers have their end, well and truly covered.
    It isn't that hard. I, as well as any number of people, cold suggest to a company like Bethesda how to implement any number of features given that we know how the engine works, and have used Bethesda's own tool to make mods. And, lo and behold, Fallout 4 implemented a number of features from Fallout 3 and NV mods in almost the same way those mods did.

You act as if players can only be 100% illiterate ignorant when it comes to knowledge of how to make things in a video game, when you can have at least some sense of how it works by paying attention to how the devs say it works, combined with even cursory knowledge of modding for games.

Yes, its fraudulent. I'm aware this is your reasoning behind attempting to elevate yourself above other posters. -- The fact remains: You don't work on this game. Which means you have nothing concrete to work with, even for the sake of opinion; and are merely percolating interpretation.

You are however, gamers (I'm assuming you play, anyway?), just like the rest of us! So your input on that level could be valuable. -- which I've asked you to offer, a number of times; and shall not anymore. Lol!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2020

Y'know.. it could just be as simple as: Trends within the game from past content offered, imply the general audience aren't all that interested?

That's unfalsifiable though. Anything that hasn't been implemented could be argued to be for a reason. That stymies all creative suggestions. For example, Cryptic devs may well have suggested every single point brought up in this thread. Did they do so all in the same meeting? How exactly did that resolve? What condition was the game in at the time? Are we talking about the early days or modern STO history? What else was on the production block? What were the cost-benefit tradeoffs looking like? Did they have the same developers with the same capabilities on the staff then? Were the individual ideas abandoned because of merit or any one of these extenuating circumstances? It's a trolls paradise (very generally speaking to the worst case this could be put to) for blocking feedback and there's no end to this speculation because there's no data by which we can test hypotheses (similar to repeating "why should?" ad infitium. It's an empty hole to keep digging.)

Feedback is automatically filtered by the process of natural selection. If an idea doesn't get implemented then:

1. the ideas were not compelling enough in the moment to persuade developers
    2. the ideas were compelling but the cost-benefit tradeoff isn't viable at this time
    3. the ideas were problematic (and probably need to be substantially reworked)
    4. the ideas were not sufficiently practical or rewarding for any conceivable state the game might be in

We can speculate about any of the above but except in extreme cases they cannot be determined and it's only in case 4 that an idea becomes a dead horse (1:3 can be very productively revisited). So we're pretty much free to shoot TRIBBLE around and let feedback channels (and their own evaluation mechanisms) process the results of that session without worry about harming the devs or the process with something that falls into 1:3 (without full information, the ability to test, ect.) We can also speculate while holding in mind that 1:4 are distinct statistical possibilities and that by asserting that a suggestion is "good" we're not necessarily coming to a hypothesis test where we eliminate the others from the back of our minds (I take that as read, personally.)

The free exchange of ideas is the most likely to find new and productive combinations and, even if your end goal is to get a full proposal under fancy letterhead there still needs to be a point where free association can work through problems and possibilities (even if at the outset its unlikely to go anywhere.) This is weeds but it needs to be said because some (as usual) have driven so far off from the mark about what we're doing here (fighting for the argumentative "win" whatever the cost) that even something so basic as a "brainstorming session" needs to be given full elaboration and justification so some folks can get on with creative discourse.

With the back on topic point: personal holdings, could be a neat integration. A lot of what we saw with fleet holdings was compromised by the design target of motivating groups and we never saw the ideas played around with (ex. TFO's and episodes on the fleet holding or a close analog) fully fleshed out. It gives the basic mechanic of "building your own space" the practical remit to be incorporated into STO and can be added onto over the long term to provide another type of content to add to the release rotation.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    I would like to see some more playable factions/characters.

Section 31 - Sloan (or a shadowy minion) approaches a cadet just before graduation. "Based on your scores and aptitudes we would like to offer you a role with Section 31".
    Some of the existing missions could be tweaked to retain items to pass over to Section 31 or indeed some missions might require you to "fail them" to support Section 31 outcomes.

A Freelancer - whether a self taught/natural pilot who starts out with a basic ship or a Starfleet/KDF/Rom academy washout or former member. Missions and Trade/Pirate opportunities gained from Quark, Drozana Station or other shady areas of stations. And have some shipyards more along the lines of the US Airforce Boneyard/Firefly shipyard/Starfleet disposal shipyard, with the older ships allowed to be upgraded with "stolen tech and mission reward tech - kind of a Marquis style character but wider ranging not just against Cardassians. Promotion still based on experience points and level tokens for more powerful ships, but xp points based on value traded/pirated/rescue missions etc. Not 100% sure just would like a new character that doesnt have to repeat the same missions as every other character.

A Q event combining Next Gen and Voyager - Q being Q flicks you away into an unexplored region (Q sending Enterprise D into its first interaction with the Borg). Your ship is disabled and you have to use a shuttle to interact with local planets to trade for critical parts. Interactions both good and bad - get some items after doing tasks for a race, but also may trigger attacks from unfriendly races (Voyager). Morale choice to follow Prime Directive or ignore to gather critical items.

A Q event along the lines of "The Q and the Grey" even as a TFO.

And finally more Iconic Trek locations to visit - Sisko restaurant, Vic's Bar (Quarks Holosuite), Chateau Picard, more Starbases and some planetside facilities - Terrafrming Stations/The Duckblind (Insurrection) and the full exterior/interior of some of the iconic ships as museums/displays - as mentioned in Voyager and every time travel/temporal episode. A couple of iconics could be "parked" next to the Academy locations - or beam up to them from those locations.

What about the ability for players to participate in some actual events - not just sending DOFFs to missions ie Poker Games, Anbo-jyutsu tournaments, Tsunkatse (Voyager), more and better use of Holodecks for both training (melee fighting and weapons ranges as well as tagging along on one of Bashir and O'Briens historical battles.

Devs - should keep you employed until the 20 year event - then we might have some more wants/needs for you - hey - lifetime employment. While you are at home in Covid 19 self isolation watch some Original, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery and Picard - and the movies and get inspired.

Wow, thats a lot! Lol.

In other online social communities, I've read speculation that a few new playable species / factions could be incomming. Though, most players are, overall, looking for something new to do, thats engaging and absorbing in the broader virtual environment with what they've built up.

If Cryptic have been working on heavy revision? I'm sure we'll hear about it when they have something concrete to inform the public with. It might be a series of structured revisions.

Storywise, I'm enjoying the new episodes a lot! I'm a huge fan of The Clone Wars, so the machete style of story telling is something I'm accustomed to. Narrative and existing system tweaking they seem to have under control. Which is great!
  • Options

Y'know.. it could just be as simple as: Trends within the game from past content offered, imply the general audience aren't all that interested?

That's unfalsifiable though.
    Of course, but I'm mindful of Cryptics fairly persistent announcements that they're focused on the here and now, looking forward. Which we all are. I'm seeing new accounts on XBOX fairly consistently. Its a good time to be revamping. Not that I want to get into it here; but the dil exchange and fleet systems, along with general monetization haven't aged well (even comparitive to Neverwinter). Its probably created a stigmatism preventing the community from coming forward to sink their teeth into topics. Of course, thats speculative too, and yet there are a variety of social spaces discussing tne game, apart from these forums. -- I'm not however, dillusioned into believing theres a symposium, here. Speaking of which, good luck with your workshopping!
  • Options

That's unfalsifiable though.
    Of course, but I'm mindful of Cryptics fairly persistent announcements that they're focused on the here and now, looking forward. Which we all are. I'm seeing new accounts on XBOX fairly consistently. Its a good time to be revamping. Not that I want to get into it here; but the dil exchange and fleet systems, along with general monetization haven't aged well (even comparitive to Neverwinter). Its probably created a stigmatism preventing the community from coming forward to sink their teeth into topics. Of course, thats speculative too, and yet there are a variety of social spaces discussing tne game, apart from these forums. -- I'm not however, dillusioned into believing theres a symposium, here. Speaking of which, good luck with your workshopping!

Let's also not forget some of the "not coming forward" part is the forum arguing and troll posting that can happen. Some just don't bother with forums, and reddit, to avoid all that.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Maquis

In the aftermath of the Cardassian and Dominion offensive, only small pockets of Maquis remained, isolated and completely impotent. Aside from those Maquis who had been captured by the Federation and imprisoned, the largest group of survivors were from Eddington's former cell on Athos IV – and even then, only a few dozen members managed to survive, usually ending up in Federation prisons.

Not completely wiped out. Just pushed to a point of not being able to do anything.
    Read a little lower
    Ira Behr chose to bring an end to the Maquis because he felt there were too many open story threads leading into Deep Space Nine's sixth season. In hindsight, he explained, "We were just desperate to finish something off. We had to finish a threat. It was necessary. So I told the writers, 'We are going to end something and not hear about it again.'" Behr actually wanted to officially kill off every single member of the Maquis, apart from those aboard Voyager, in DS9's fifth season with "Blaze of Glory". Rick Berman disallowed their complete decimation in case the creative staff of Star Trek: Voyager wanted to use them again later. Nonetheless, as far as the DS9 writers were concerned, the Maquis story arc was finished. (Star Trek: The Official Starships Collection, issue 28, p. 17) "'Blaze of Glory' is [...] although they don't want us to say this on Voyager, the death knell of the Maquis [....] [The VOY writing staff] don't want us to say that the Maquis are utterly and completely destroyed," commented Robert Wolfe. "The only Maquis left by the end of this show are basically the ones who are off in the Delta Quadrant. We put in a little line at the end saying that there might be more Maquis out there, who knows? They just didn't want us to say that the Maquis had been wiped out to the last man. I can understand that they have characters who are Maquis who believe in something, and that they don't want to say that they have nothing left at home. Part of it is that they're trying to get back to fight for their cause." (Cinefantastique, Vol. 29, Nos. 6/7, p. 51) Ultimately, almost a year after "Blaze of Glory", the Voyager writers acknowledged the death of nearly all the Maquis in the episode "Hunters" with Chakotay's letter from the Alpha Quadrant, which reveals that only a handful of the Maquis are still alive and the few survivors are in prison.
    They are dead, done, finished. The only remaining ones are in jail.
    Renegades Regret, ehh I had no problems with the firing of the torpedo.
    Nor did I
    These are reason most of my characters are by story not longer attached to a faction, or was never a part of one to begin with. The whole "friendship is magic" drivel is rather disgusting to me.
    Well its a good thing the game doesn't have this then. We never made friend with
    • B'vat
    • Hakeev
    • Taris
    • Torg
    • Sela
    • Tholians
    • Breen
    • Tzenkethi
    • Voth
    • Most of the Temporal Liberation Front forces(Vorgons, Sphere builders, Na'Kuhl, Terran Empire)
    If we had a faction that opposed the Alliance and would never make friends with them. I'd jump on joining that one in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it's likely to never happen, because to have an opposing faction like this, they'd have to actually support PvP. Which they haven't since 2013.
    The biggest problem is that it would necessitate creating a completely other story arc from game start to the current day since they couldn't share any missions with the Alliance.
    • B'vat - Dead
    • Hakeev - Dead
    • Taris - Dead
    • Torg - Dead, son is working to restore house honor to rejoin the Empire.
    • Sela - In prison, but was a bit more helpful in later episodes.
    • Tholians - Enigmatic artifact/energy hunters.
    • Breen - Secretive and Tribal, can't even say they're friends with themselves. Great mercenaries.
    • Tzenkethi - Path of, it was eluded to that they had one side on one path, and the other on the Path of Madness. So a torn people.
    • Voth - I said I admire them for the stance on not making friends.
    • Most of the Temporal Liberation Front forces
    • Vorgons - Dislikes the Federation
    • Sphere builders, Dislikes the Federation, used Klingons and Vorgons.
    • Na'Kuhl, Hates the Federation
    • Terran Empire, Hates everyone.

The Tholians, I don't think make friends with anyone. They just do what they do, without worrying about others. Also are these suppose to be spiders? Cause... they kind of look like mutated Praying Mantis' to me.

The Tzenkethi, not the first time the Federation has had trouble with them. What he have in game is actually like the 4th. But always seems to end in stalemate. No one side agreeing to anything, more just kind of going they're separate ways.

Vorgons are in a neutral area after finding out they were used by Sphere Builders.

JJ Klingons, don't even have to worry about them, they're at home in their own dimension.

Sphere Builders, well they kind of lost everything. So, they have to rebuild. Probably be a while before they're a problem again.

Nah'kul, with how the Temporal Cold War started out, if I were them, I'd be mad too. The only ones that have a righteous reason to want to destroy the Federation.

There is also T'ket. But that is more T'ket being stubborn than anything.

As for the story line. No, no need to go all the way back to the start of the game for that. Introduce it like they did Gamma Recruit. Remember, it would be a new Faction, not an older one. So the double story line could be worked from there. I mean sure, they could do a stoyline from level 1+, but it being new, it wouldn't have to be tied into anything we already have, aside from pick a spot in the galaxy they're from.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    Actually... the fate of B'Vat is currently unknown until they bring back the mission we actually DO kill him. Offically last we see anything of him is when we deal with the Planet Killer. After that we jump straight to the Romulan arc.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    With the back on topic point: personal holdings, could be a neat integration. A lot of what we saw with fleet holdings was compromised by the design target of motivating groups and we never saw the ideas played around with (ex. TFO's and episodes on the fleet holding or a close analog) fully fleshed out. It gives the basic mechanic of "building your own space" the practical remit to be incorporated into STO and can be added onto over the long term to provide another type of content to add to the release rotation.
    Sorry to split your post up, but I felt we are largely on the same page and this needed a reply!

Indeed. The Red Alerts and episodic content would also have more urgency when bursting bubbles of captains individual routines. --

You've just finished checking in on your research outpost in the Agrama sector, Agrama system, of the Beta quadrant; and made your way to patrol the Delta quadrant as requested, given they're short handed. Upon arrival, you're hailed by the commander of your research team!

RED ALERT! Tholians are making a push for territory. The patrol escort (USS Artemis) you've assigned to patrol the system, is being overwhelmed (a new way to use your ships?); and the outpost (Research 1) commander reports Tholian strike teams have engaged them on the ground.

A mission log is added "Assist your outpost [Research 1] in the [Agrama sector], within TRIBBLE mins / lightyears" -- The Red Alert encounter happens as normal and you are automatically qued. However, for Captains with outposts (mines, farms, whatever) in that system. You have the option to beam down an away team upon arrival, or not. -- Failure will result in setting back your research / yield. Failure to aid your assigned patrol vessel, could result in it being unavailable for a certain amount of 'refit time'.

"Helm! Best warp to Research 1! Away team, prepare to hot drop the moment we arrive in-system! -- Sensors, locate the Artemis and errect a screen Tactical. -- I don't want anything getting through!" -- SHZWAT!

So now, these extra objectives are added to the Red Alert, for those with assets at the location. Others could be generated too, during the encounter. Perhaps the Tholians have disabled transporters? Objective update: [Protect the Away team shuttle insertion!], or the Artemis took on boarders Objective update: [Beam over and assist the Artemis]

And thats just within the existing framework of the combat & encounter system!

Checking in on your outposts could create random encounters too. -- You land at Research 1 and one of the researchers inform you "someones been chewing on the security fence cables!" So you and your away team go investigate, and New Objective: [Drive off the wild beasts!], or a Klingon Raiding party attacks, New Objective: [Negotiate or Fight off the invaders and their D4x], a bit like a ground based version of the Breen encounter. A Temporal anomaly could ensue. Study the indigenous inhabitants; or help them because they are experiencing an epidemic, mystery sickness. So many things! Different problems, different solutions and an opportunity to reinvoke the career path optional objectives.
  • Options
    My thought with the Maquis is that the war basically made their cause irrelevant. They came about as a way to protest the injustices they perceived in the treaty with the Cardassians. Once the war started that all went out the window. Now they'd have to be written as protesting the terms of the Treaty of Bajor.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    My thought with the Maquis is that the war basically made their cause irrelevant. They came about as a way to protest the injustices they perceived in the treaty with the Cardassians. Once the war started that all went out the window. Now they'd have to be written as protesting the terms of the Treaty of Bajor.
    With the Cardassian Union becoming a Federation client state, and dismantling their military, I don't see the Treaty of Bajor not favoring the Maquis original goals. I don't recall there ever being a mention of any sort of border problems with the Cardassians in STO.
    Exactly! their cause is now irrelevant. If you were to use the Maquis you'd have to find a new purpose for them existing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    I think its pretty safe to assume B'vat is going to die even in the revamp. They said they were going to revamp the missions, not change the story.

I don't doubt that, however until they do, he is still alive. I wouldn't be surprised if J'Ula was involved somehow too. And even if it was B'Vat and his house that wiped out Mo'Kai years ago, B'Vat may see J'Ula as an ally against the Federation. J'Ula may hate him for destroying her house, but her hatred of the Federation may override that. It could also explain where J'Ula got some modern tech as well. Combination of support from B'Vat and maybe remnants of House Torg.

B'Vat believes that only through CONSTANT war will the Empire survive and even thrive. He was willing to use a dishonorable weapon, a Planet Killer, to try and spark an endless war with the Federation. To him the ends justify the means. He may see J'Ula as another means to an end, and because of her coming from the 23rd Century, that may actually help lead up to B'Vat using the Guardian of Forever to strike at the Federation in the past. If they reuse the Lenord Nemoy voiceover from the original version of that mission or tweak it to maybe strike the Federation after the Fed-Klingon war in the 2250s remains to be seen.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Maqui could use Chateau Picard as a base of operations and attack the Naz.., eh, the Zhat Vash and Tal Shiar wherever they may rear their ugly heads. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    basilieusbasilieus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I would also add more time and species content - I wanted to do more missions with my 23c character in the 23rd, before being "brought forward in time". Again visit more iconic locations and be involved in places like the Neutral Zone and exploring the as of then, undiscovered areas and races.

The Marquis etc missions would be a journal chapter maybe - and restricted to ships/weapons/consoles/reinforcements appropriate to that period - not making a new Marquis. The majority of Journal Missions are holodeck and mission simulators - allowing you to replay them again and again to gain the different reward payouts.

I would like (and hope many other players would too) to play more journal "chapters" and TFOs in specific timezones (Enterprise, Discovery, Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Picard and Movie tie ins. Even if some missions are limited to a "plain Jane/Vanilla" ship of that era, provided by the simulator for the mission.

Being a ship involved in Battle at Wolf 359 - not just visiting a battle marker, being in a Dominion War operation - at the time of DS9 Dominion War - not "now" as friends and allies of the Dominion, being in an Original series battle with Klingons or the Romulans, The Next Gen resurgence of the Romulans in the Neutral Zone, Voyager missions in the Delta Quadrant. Being the Captain of the USS Kelvin as you fight the impossible and ultimately futile battle against Nero's ship, or one of the ships that warp to Vulcan while the Enterprise "left the handbrake on", your gonna die but Kobyashi Maru to you Sir. None of your interactions would change the timeline - rather like the Battle of the Binary Stars - collecting data.

The holodecks that are at Quarks, The Academy even potential ones on ships are a huge lost opportunity. Even a limited amount of options - a Reg Barclay holo adventure, Fairhaven (Voyager), Tasha and Worf's Calisthenics program, Vic Fontaine 24/7 at Quarks, tagalongs with Bashir and O'Brien, a melee arena and a "phaser range" to gain an increase in hand to hand or weapon proficiency. Again you are not going to change anything majorly- just a chance for an interaction with iconic characters and locations/battles/episodes of the Movies and Series, or a small bump to proficiencies or even just an accolade badge.

I havent come across any first contact missions - as in arrive at a previously unknown planet and make first contact. I would look forward to this kind of mission or TFO.

Some other Trek games (Birth of the Federation - I think?) have allowed for specialists or specialist skills to be acquired from member races that have those skills - being able to get a Tactician from (Next Gen Stratego Champion - Zakdorn?), blue or purple with a slightly better stat for group tactics, a Tactical away team member from Angosians? - bio engineered soldiers. Going to these planets and maybe doing some missions to gain reputation with that race ("Captain, you are a true to friend to the {insert race here} and we present the opportunity for a specialist of our people to join you"). Again just saying, lost opportunities to immerse players in the Trek Universe.

None of these things will happen overnight - but with Covid 19 restricting movements - now is the perfect time for writers to develop storylines and share them online between each other to flesh out a new adventure for when life returns to normal. All the people losing jobs and not having something to return to - this gives Cryptic and Arc a great opportunity to keep employees and add player driven content to the game for the future of the game. Yes Cryptic and Arc own the game - but in a way so do the players - without players there is no need for the product and no future for it. So even if all my ideas are rejected as too hard, too simple, too messy etc - The Devs and Creative Team should use this time and opportunity to open up to the players and create more content, better content, future content, player driven content - creating more jobs and opportunities at Cryptic and Arc for a more successful return from Covid hiatus.

Please - players add to this - instead of 99% of comments from players tearing down ideas before Devs can even respond. We all have valid viewpoints - but let Devs say "No cant be done - and this is why" rather than players jumping in saying it cant be done or this has been raised in the past.
  • Options
    sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    We have this already. The assets and broken UI from the foundry. Unfortunately, that's in the "legacy code" area. So they'd have to recode the whole thing. Then it's a matter of how to monetize it to make it worth the expense of making it.

I think that logic is a bit backwards tbh. Playerbase is usually everything for a "free to play" game - Whales need lots of people to show off to so their purchases feel worthwhile, and the more Minnows & Dolphins you have over a given period the more likely some of them will give in and start making Whale-level purchases. The expense of re-developing the Foundry or something like it is justified by the players it recruits/brings back.

I have no interest in rep grinds, or endless repetition of the same handful of TFOs, and stuff like Doffs or Admiralty aren't enough to hold my entire interest they're side doodads. I started playing STO because I was sold on the idea of playing a Captain and their crew having space adventures in the Trek setting, and over the years I've come back less & less frequently as that kind of content has dried up. For a fair while there it was only the Foundry that kept me playing. Until this lockdown, I hadn't played since the Delta expansion I think. This time I popped back in when I heard about the Gamma stuff, but once I've played that I don't imagine I'll be back - no more Foundry, no more Original Trek stories just Kurtzmantrek it seems; no more point. I doubt I'm alone.

The Foundry can address many issues. Yes, it requires a big up-front investment, but the return on that is turning a portion of the playerbase into essentially free labour generating content for them. It ensures players who don't have any time for the new angry, sweary, dystopian emo-Trek still get stories to enjoy from the version of the IP they favour. Heck, if it's really true that the devs are completely out of ideas for classic Trek(which I find a bit hard to believe, if nothing else there are still plenty of novels they could rework plot elements from, and they could begin a cyclical update process visiting each Trek "era" in turn to flesh each of them out a bit more), they can appropriate the better and more popular Foundry missions and rework their basic ideas into new arcs.

In the end, they really have to do something if they want the game to remain viable long-term, I'd argue giving players the tools to make content for each other is a better idea than expending only a little less effort to create another short series of Press F To Murder Everything missions and another variation on "farm Currency, click button, wait X hours for the number to go up, repeat".

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    I pointed this out earlier, and in another thread when player housing/habit came up.

Think of how to monetize it. Making it an long term thing is actually pretty easy.

As I also said, we had the assets when the foundry was active. All that could be used, along with a new editor, the Foundry one was a bit of a headache inducer.

Now in another of my other posts in a different thread, I would just quote it, but I don't remember the name of it, and I'm not going digging, I started off at the base. That being acquiring said holding. Would that be bought with Dil or Zen, and what would the cost be? I could never really think of a good price for either. Then is this a character or account unlock? I'd say account.

The second point I brought up was size. In the Foundry we had foundation blocks and platforms in 20x20, 50x50, 100x100, 200x200, 500x500. The latter three being way larger than any one person would ever need. However if this is done a community type of thing, then the 100x100 and 200x200 become good. Give plenty of room for people.

Maps become the next problem. Which ones to use, since they're the only way to get an environment, like a beach or grassy hill. This would be for single or community housing. For community housing though, would this be done more as a apartment style? Or single player homes, like gated communities? Apartment style would be some what limiting, as you would have little to no control over exterior decorations. That's on the apartment complex.

Now we run into decoration problems. This would have to be done as faction, or species, specific. However just for the basic starting out, buying the habitat area would come with a Basic Faction Decor Design Pack. This would be the Generic Stuff, plus a basic selection of the Faction Decor. This is where you work in the over time part.

The overtime of it, for the Decor items, you don't just get the items, as the name implies, you get Designs. Then with these designs you get Construction Project Doff assignments, they'll take 1+ Duty officers and 1 - 20 hours to complete. The cost to make would be Dil, R&D mats, and GPL(giving it an actual use). If you limit this with the same number of projects as R&D. Then you get an overtime thing, this is how construction works.

Now other than the initial buying of said place, which I'd base off size. The larger the area, the higher the cost. But again, Dil or Zen? We run into how to monetize to make it worth the time to develop. What I see here would be...

Expanded Faction Decor Design Pack - 1000zen
    Iconian Decor Design Pack - 1000zen
    Voth Decor Design Pack - 1000zen
    Vulcan Decor Design Pack - 1000zen

Which monetizes it pretty well. Granted a lot of the species do not have much in the way of decor, but that's just room for Cryptic to create it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Trennan,

No ones talking about "player housing" in this thread. Its about 'logic mechanics' some simply refer to as "base building". -- For R&D, farming, regining, etc.. its a game on its own. That, atm, only the devs gets to play with.

eg. Power:
    • How to find it.
    • How to harness it, under what limitations.
    • How to route it and manage it.

Just to power a few biodomes so your personel can survive and actually conduct research and development. Etc..

I can supply you pictures if words aren't perhaps driving the point home?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Trennan,

No ones talking about "player housing" in this thread. Its about 'logic mechanics' some simply refer to as "base building". -- For R&D, farming, regining, etc.. its a game on its own. That, atm, only the devs gets to play with.

eg. Power:
    • How to find it.
    • How to harness it, under what limitations.
    • How to route it and manage it.

Just to power a few biodomes so your personel can survive and actually conduct research and development. Etc..

I can supply you pictures if words aren't perhaps driving the point home?

No I get that it's for personnel, i.e. Doffs. But again, if that's all it's for, there's no need for a "habitable" anything for that. Just slap another selection under special projects in R&D for it. For it to be habitable it would mean the player can visit. Thus it turns into a personal/fleet holding type of area. Maps aren't loaded, nor are they populated, until the player shows up.

I mean we had this long ago, it was the old R&D area named Memory-Alpha, I forget what the Klingon side of it was called, or even if they had one. It has long since gone away.

Since they did away with Memory-Alpha, then why would it be worth the cost of dev time to bring back another version of it?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.