test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is no one interested in content expansion? Habitable Biomes!

paladinrja#5247 paladinrja Member Posts: 155 Arc User
I would like to see more Biomes in the game and different environments. The awesomeness of the Mycelial network has whet my appetite.

Base building with craftable facilities, populated by Boffs and Doffs you station there for R&D. -- You're also more likely to patrol areas, you and your faction are invested in.

More Cosmozoans! Imagine dropping a research station in an asteroid field, to study these creatures; what you could learn! -- Can you create something useful from that? Maybe!

I'm not thinking this on terms of massive glorious bases that do everything; but something more choice driven, along the vibe of space exploration. You survey an area and then choose where to put your energies. Perhaps other species are also interested? Beam down to the Lukari homeworld and discuss it with Kumarke. Whom can also provide leads on Points of interest in Lukari space, and where to begin (for example).

Are you starfleet; are you following the prime directive? -- Maybe your research also uncovers a nest of Hur'q! Or creates unwanted attention from a rival faction, or outlaws. Genesis? Unchecked, it could set back your team research a fair way..

What are the challenges of building in different evironments? -- Maybe its a water world!

Rather than everyone mass populating a planet, moon or other area. Each player generates their own slice in a seperate instance. Sectors could have mass community driven projects, that run for weeks!

Site-to-site transport isn't always available. Ground vehicles could be useful here. Species homeworlds you are part of, could have your home.

I'm brimming with ideas for this. Love to see some interest!
XBOX One GT: Paladinrja
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    There are quite a few players interested in player housing like this. Unfortunately, this will likely be closed as an FCT thread.

Actually, player housing is not, in fact, an FCT topic. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    Well, no wonder the subject isn't being discussed then. This is less about "player housing" and more about expanding on the gaming. Which is why we play games. To game.
  • Options
    auctionman1auctionman1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    I am sure the next content expansion in terms of fleet projects will tie in with the Star Trek Picard show. Since I saw on Youtube the episode where Riker warps in with all those duplicated CG ships and the Romulans are there with they Batman designed Warbirds and yet another total redesign of the Romulan uniform (Garak must have an exclusive contract with them).

To be honest I wish they would go back and refill the old material with some new stuff. I took a new character through it the other day and i felt like I been throne a bone with just enough meat to justify me eating it. It is so disappointed. I know, so people can move quickly through the episode arcs to get to the CBS inspired content.

However I honestly don't know what will be next. I am disappointed in still having to repeat either a tfo or mission x14 while we wait for the next episode or whatever. Sure nice getting another ship token, so if I want to buy the 3 ships that are a bundle I can, one at a time. The game just feels so hollow and that we are just doing what is needed to maybe keep us going. I mean with the discovery addition, I think I can speak for many we were disappointed that they didn't have some sort of gadget that the new discovery tune would get rewarded like AOY, GQ and Delta. When there was nothing, it was like I was getting ready to blow up a balloon only to have it slip away and exhaust its gas instantly.

Player house, why? Don't we spend most of our time on a starship or shore leave? It isn't like a fed officer is going to have a head of a targ on his wall, or carpets made from epohh, etc. No just retread, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ad nauseum. Honestly I don't bother really playing the game anymore other than help fleet projects or the free ship token to maybe add variety. Not sure what else to continue to enjoy. Sure some species I never used as a character but not enough to make me want to repeat the breeze through the campaigns and then smack up against the wall and just repeat things all over again.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The tiny bit of "housing" the game had, customizable ship interiors (you could place trophies on walls and pedestals) has been abandoned. I don't think they'll try something else, as the environmental fluff was deemed unprofitable. And if something is added, we probably look at a fleet holding experience, change your base layout for 5 million dilithium.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    To each his own, but given that we are all celebrating their ten year anniversary the comment "the game just feels so hollow" falls a bit flat to me? I've been playing non-stop since it dropped on consoles back in 2016 and I still enjoy the game.
  • Options
    To each his own, but given that we are all celebrating their ten year anniversary the comment "the game just feels so hollow" falls a bit flat to me? I've been playing non-stop since it dropped on consoles back in 2016 and I still enjoy the game.

Most of us that say it feel hollow, have been playing on PC since Beta or when it went F2P in 2012. So it's not that we haven't played it. Quite the contrary, we've played it a lot. Which means we've played everything several dozen times, if not more.

Then the recruitment expansions, up until gamma there were, "Go repeat every mission in the game, that you've already played half a billion times." Delta being the worst with having to do it on a Fed, KDF and Rom character.

The story line here doesn't help. Since once you get out your factions starting story, you're just another Federation lapdog. You can't even respond in a manner that fits your chosen faction. Nope, you have to reply like a Fed. Tack on to this the story line is little more than "friendship is magic" vomit, which is copy/pasted throughout the game.

Then you hit level 50, where you're hit with every time gate in the game at once, except doffing and R&D. You have to go do those ship traits, work on specializations, and farm those reputations marks, yet again.

Then add in the standard Godmode DPS that its been based on since 2013, and you just end up with a boring, hollow game.

Most would ask, "Why do you continue to play then?" The simple answer for most is, that's it's because STO is the only Star Trek MMORPG out there. If the game ever loses the Star Trek name, you can pretty easily assume that a very large chunk of the player base and their money are going to vanish into the galactic winds, faster than you can spit.

Now here we are ten years later. Some of the old time players having left for good, my friends list is proof of that, with names that haven't signed in, in years on it. Those of us that are still hanging around and playing, hope the next expansion brings something better. Only to be served with a big, steaming pile of disappointment every time. We hope for better, and get the same copy/paste story, same copy/paste pewfest missions and tfos, new lockboxes, new ships, new costumes, and a new time gated reputation. Might even get a new fleet holding out of it. But, if the colony is any indication of how those are going to be, they can just keep them.

Now, I'll admit with the colony they did a good thing with the simulations. Only to turn around and shoot themselves in the foot when they made it to where you couldn't sell colony provisions for EC any more.

But, for those of us that have been here for the past eight to ten years, depending on when you joined, we've had ample time to become a bit jaded against how the game has turned out.

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    boldlygoing01boldlygoing01 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I used to have my own private level 3 city in SWG, just SE of Kaadara on the Eclipse server. The variety and customisation of buildings and their contents, with all the placememnt options that was available there, is never going to be posible here because of the differences in design philosophy.

The vast majority of STO's ground zones are the small, temporary mission instances, and even the larger static social zones were likely never designed with any sort of player customisation in mind. Even being instanced, the maps simply aren't large enough to accomodate multiple player owned structures. Every now and again the idea of player housing gets floated, but something like SWG's system was always going to be a non starter.

That being said, I believe something akin to the fleet holdings could be possible, if the resources were ever available.

For Federation alligned players, how about an apartment complex in San Francisco, where your suite is customisable and with a view of the Academy? Fleets could have a shared complex, perhaps with extra common areas to customise.

On the KDF side perhaps one of the early Quonos ground maps could be adapted, so you have rooms in your House's house (pun intended), again with a larger house available to fleets for shared accomodation.

New Romulus might be a little more tricky, as the only interior map that springs to mind is the Embassy fleet holding.

It could even open up another option in the eternal search for dilithium sinks - character unlock furniture paid for with dilithium, and possibly account unlock packs paid for with zen.

Do I think we are likely to see anything like the above, or another system? Probably not at this stage in the game's development, given the resources required. Nonetheless, being able to reproduce the Kirk and McCoy scene from Wrath of Khan with your own bottle of (medicinal) Romulan ale after a hard day blowing **** up on the far side of the galaxy does have its attractions, so one can always hope.
  • Options
    I used to have my own private level 3 city in SWG, just SE of Kaadara on the Eclipse server. The variety and customisation of buildings and their contents, with all the placememnt options that was available there, is never going to be posible here because of the differences in design philosophy.

The vast majority of STO's ground zones are the small, temporary mission instances, and even the larger static social zones were likely never designed with any sort of player customisation in mind. Even being instanced, the maps simply aren't large enough to accomodate multiple player owned structures. Every now and again the idea of player housing gets floated, but something like SWG's system was always going to be a non starter.

That being said, I believe something akin to the fleet holdings could be possible, if the resources were ever available.

For Federation alligned players, how about an apartment complex in San Francisco, where your suite is customisable and with a view of the Academy? Fleets could have a shared complex, perhaps with extra common areas to customise.

On the KDF side perhaps one of the early Quonos ground maps could be adapted, so you have rooms in your House's house (pun intended), again with a larger house available to fleets for shared accomodation.

New Romulus might be a little more tricky, as the only interior map that springs to mind is the Embassy fleet holding.

It could even open up another option in the eternal search for dilithium sinks - character unlock furniture paid for with dilithium, and possibly account unlock packs paid for with zen.

Do I think we are likely to see anything like the above, or another system? Probably not at this stage in the game's development, given the resources required. Nonetheless, being able to reproduce the Kirk and McCoy scene from Wrath of Khan with your own bottle of (medicinal) Romulan ale after a hard day blowing **** up on the far side of the galaxy does have its attractions, so one can always hope.

Don't get me wrong. I do support the idea, even pitched some thoughts on it myself. The main thing most keep forgetting is Cryptic's side. What can they do to justify the expense of making it? This is where the problem begins.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245086/the-f-c-t-frequently-created-threads-list-2-0

> 10) Full Custom Starship Interiors

Our ship is our home, but Cryptic has already said no to letting us Space Barbie it.

Ground strongholds are even less likely to happen. You can join a fleet and visit the holdings and that's all we get.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    trennan wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong. I do support the idea, even pitched some thoughts on it myself. The main thing most keep forgetting is Cryptic's side. What can they do to justify the expense of making it? This is where the problem begins.

That's not for us to work out. -- its not like there aren't plenty of examples to draw inspiration from either. "No Man's Sky: Beyond", comes to mind.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245086/the-f-c-t-frequently-created-threads-list-2-0

> 10) Full Custom Starship Interiors

Our ship is our home, but Cryptic has already said no to letting us Space Barbie it.

Ground strongholds are even less likely to happen. You can join a fleet and visit the holdings and that's all we get.

We (the whole STO community) already know what the score is with ship interiors and why it only went so far. It doesn't really have any baring on the premise of this thread. No one mentioned it either.

Like, I know some people having been playing longer than others and are thoroughly over the game (sound like it too! Take note). But I wouldn't go speaking for the devs, or players in general, or speculating about the position of either. I think its better to just be clear about whether you like the general idea and want to see it take place?

The fleet system isn't fun. Sorry, but aside from unlocks (if you get permissions) theres no reason to be in any for the invitee. It probably works better in a group of friends, but thats not been my experience.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Its not a matter of if we like it or not. The subject has come up many times in the past. And the answer so far has always been "no". People have also tried to come up with ideas on how Cryptic can profit off of it, or even how it can be used to actually make GPL usable. Same answer.

The Dev Team isn't as big as one from say... FF14. They don't have the time or resources to allocate to any kind of housing system.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Its not a matter of if we like it or not. The subject has come up many times in the past. And the answer so far has always been "no". People have also tried to come up with ideas on how Cryptic can profit off of it, or even how it can be used to actually make GPL usable. Same answer.

The Dev Team isn't as big as one from say... FF14. They don't have the time or resources to allocate to any kind of housing system.

And as someone who actually plays FF14 the housing system there isn't that complex either (sure it's more then enough for me, but the interiors aren't even close to fully customizeble).

We got remember that someone has to program these things and interiors are a lot more complex then just innert geometry (though I think people often under estimate how hard that's to get right too) and Cryptic doesn't have anywhere close to the resources Blizzard or Square Enix has to put into their games.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

I'm sure that they have the backing to scale their human resources as needed, on a per project basis. Thats all I'm gonna say.

I'm actually almost scared a dev sees this and decides to chime in positivity.. I think the meltdown would be epic proportions. Lol

We're all the same 'round these 'ere parts, people!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm sure that they have the backing to scale their human resources as needed, on a per project basis. Thats all I'm gonna say.

Ongoing maintenance and adding new content means you need permanent hires who understand the design and code.

Also, "Cryptic could plunder out their cash reserves to create X" is not a sound business plan, unless you add the part explaining how they make a decent profit doing it.

SWTOR got strongholds to fill with microtransaction decorations, but SWTOR is a ground game while STO is a space game that also includes some ground combat. Ships make them most of their money.

Your fun is valid, but it's similar to why Fed gets more ships than Dominion or Ferengi. Most players want to be a Federation captain, flying their ship with the pew pew pew.

Don't stop believin', just realize it's only a dream as long as Cryptic is a business not a non-profit funded by a billion dollar grant from the Gates Foundation.
  • Options
    I am sure the next content expansion in terms of fleet projects will tie in with the Star Trek Picard show. Since I saw on Youtube the episode where Riker warps in with all those duplicated CG ships and the Romulans are there with they Batman designed Warbirds and yet another total redesign of the Romulan uniform (Garak must have an exclusive contract with them).

To be honest I wish they would go back and refill the old material with some new stuff. I took a new character through it the other day and i felt like I been throne a bone with just enough meat to justify me eating it. It is so disappointed. I know, so people can move quickly through the episode arcs to get to the CBS inspired content.

However I honestly don't know what will be next. I am disappointed in still having to repeat either a tfo or mission x14 while we wait for the next episode or whatever. Sure nice getting another ship token, so if I want to buy the 3 ships that are a bundle I can, one at a time. The game just feels so hollow and that we are just doing what is needed to maybe keep us going. I mean with the discovery addition, I think I can speak for many we were disappointed that they didn't have some sort of gadget that the new discovery tune would get rewarded like AOY, GQ and Delta. When there was nothing, it was like I was getting ready to blow up a balloon only to have it slip away and exhaust its gas instantly.

Player house, why? Don't we spend most of our time on a starship or shore leave? It isn't like a fed officer is going to have a head of a targ on his wall, or carpets made from epohh, etc. No just retread, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ad nauseum. Honestly I don't bother really playing the game anymore other than help fleet projects or the free ship token to maybe add variety. Not sure what else to continue to enjoy. Sure some species I never used as a character but not enough to make me want to repeat the breeze through the campaigns and then smack up against the wall and just repeat things all over again.

I hear ya. Though, others will, probably read this as more downbeat than it actually is.

They've built 4 quadrants of star systems. It'd be cool if we could explore it. I like the eposodic content too. It feels like the devs wanna go there and I'm certainly good with that if thats the case.

Theres no point really, projecting our minutiae and 'splaining musings about what we "think" the devs are thinking; nor what capacity they have to get things done. All we can do is put out there what we'd like and let them chime in at their discretion.

Player housing in any game, doesn't interest me; unless it has a purpose. The general idea here is building research outposts, such as those we see in the series and films. Then building up a system of active projects. Expanding upon the ground based, away team game. Tying in with the patrol system. Maybe even inspiring new avenues eposodic content.

You used the word "hollow" but I feel like you're drawing on the idea that there are big holes, post-episodic narrative. Endings imply theres more to it, but you merely jump to the next thing? -- I feel like the new patrol system was perhaps designed to address some of that. I like it too.

If the devs only cared about money, then they'd make refining dilithium a cinch. If they weren't happy with what the game is bringing in, then they'd do something about that too. That'd put Zen at the firm premium and thats, that. -- I'm mindful of the fact that ongoing episodic content is atteacting the involvement of actors reprising their roles. This is a big deal. It feels like they're exploring pathways on where next to expand the game.

I'm just saying, "go exploration" go all in!
  • Options
    Are you starfleet; are you following the prime directive? -- Maybe your research also uncovers a nest of Hur'q! Or creates unwanted attention from a rival faction, or outlaws. Genesis? Unchecked, it could set back your team research a fair way..
    The game would never allow you to purposefully ignore the Prime Directive if you were Starfleet.

Kal Dono, "I'm just here to save my Lukari ancestors from death. Also, while I'm at it let me deliver this weapon that will make the Nah'kul go to war." Which is also responsible for basically erasing a whole species from history, thus setting Noye on his path.

Yup, it doesn't let you ignore the Prime Directive. In this case it forces you to ignore it and the temporal prime directive.

What are the challenges of building in different evironments? -- Maybe its a water world!
    Why would we be building on a water world in the first place when no Federation species is water based?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Xindi-Aquatic
    The Xindi-Aquatics were a non-humanoid race that evolved to living underwater.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Xindi
    As of 2410, the Xindi appear to have found a new homeworld, which is now a member of the Federation. Furthermore, they maintain diplomatic relations with the Klingon Empire and the Romulan Republic.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Okay here's a idea for the braindead people in charge of new content.

TNG Season 1 Episode 25 "Conspiracy"

Why not revisit this idea as a Section 31 series mission arc? This would a great place to start.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Okay here's a idea for the braindead people in charge of new content.

TNG Season 1 Episode 25 "Conspiracy"

Why not revisit this idea as a Section 31 series mission arc? This would a great place to start.

It's also not a good idea to insult the people you're pitching ideas to.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Yeah calling the people in charge of desiding what gets done and what doesn't "braindead" is a good way of making sure your idea gets under what we Finns call "Ö-file"
    read:thrown to the crash can
    (note that in Finnish O=/=Ö)
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I think grumpy entirely misses the point. (Which is why I didn't bother with the disingenuous multi-part hassle btw).

There are thousands of worlds, all kinds of resources. Some specific to certain types of ecosystems. Either exploitable or consequential. We already know this from real examples of our solar system. The game only needs to adhere to canon, when using canonical elements. (For those whom don't quite know what 'canon' means; it merely means "established as fact" in story).

Otherwise, if the devs want to start a community project that lets player researchers invent a whole new element? (Which could be fun!) -- Theres nothing stopping them. At all. No need to abstain in lue of some lone angry nuts "interpretation thereof", factoidal lore they don't fully comprehend is specific to the circumstances. Theres nothing metaphorical here.

People tend to enjoy resource hunting in different environments and then presented with solving how to get at it. This might be easy in one situation, and it might be very difficult in another. Then there's maintaining sites and their personel. -- Shifting politics could present boons, or dangerous situations. -- That entire arc surrounding the Lukari, is easily my favourite in the entire game! As was Beyonds end scene between Krall & Kirk; where Kirk affirms his commitment to a non-militant Starfleet.

Give the players the tools to immerse and tell their story. Beyond a dps meta rat race. -- I realise a lot is changing in our world, about how people work, and where people work. This is just a suggestion on, perhaps, one possible thing to center on where so much transition is taking place. -- For all I know? Cryptic could already be on this whole idea and deep in the weeds developing a huge expansion that introduces much of what I've tried to bring up.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Who has time with Housing? We have no time after doing Endeavors, Featured Events, slotting Research, slotting Admiralty Assignments, slotting Doff Assignments, donating to Fleet Projects, turning in Commendation Reports, building Reputation.... ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I think grumpy entirely misses the point. (Which is why I didn't bother with the disingenuous multi-part hassle btw).

There are thousands of worlds, all kinds of resources. Some specific to certain types of ecosystems. Either exploitable or consequential. We already know this from real examples of our solar system. The game only needs to adhere to canon, when using canonical elements. (For those whom don't quite know what 'canon' means; it merely means "established as fact" in story).

Otherwise, if the devs want to start a community project that lets player researchers invent a whole new element? (Which could be fun!) -- Theres nothing stopping them. At all. No need to abstain in lue of some lone angry nuts "interpretation thereof", factoidal lore they don't fully comprehend is specific to the circumstances. Theres nothing metaphorical here.

People tend to enjoy resource hunting in different environments and then presented with solving how to get at it. This might be easy in one situation, and it might be very difficult in another. Then there's maintaining sites and their personel. -- Shifting politics could present boons, or dangerous situations. -- That entire arc surrounding the Lukari, is easily my favourite in the entire game! As was Beyonds end scene between Krall & Kirk; where Kirk affirms his commitment to a non-militant Starfleet.

Give the players the tools to immerse and tell their story. Beyond a dps meta rat race. -- I realise a lot is changing in our world, about how people work, and where people work. This is just a suggestion on, perhaps, one possible thing to center on where so much transition is taking place. -- For all I know? Cryptic could already be on this whole idea and deep in the weeds developing a huge expansion that introduces much of what I've tried to bring up.

The problem with this is that "Minecraft Trek" or "TrekCity 2000" or "The Long Trek Dark" would be a new, different game bolted on to the existing STO. It would require new game design and engine changes, and possibly even license approval from CBS.

People ask for exploration, sandbox building, space trading, etc. and they all could be fun. They just are either impractical or possible but would take away resources from creating content that the majority of STO players want and will pay for.

"Sorry mom, the mob has spoken. Monorail!"

Or the other golden rule: them that pays Cryptic the most gold, gets to rule on the content we get.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Almost sounds like the OP is talking about Foundry 2.0 now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

The problem with this is that "Minecraft Trek" or "TrekCity 2000" or "The Long Trek Dark" would be a new, different game bolted on to the existing STO. It would require new game design and engine changes, and possibly even license approval from CBS.

People ask for exploration, sandbox building, space trading, etc. and they all could be fun. They just are either impractical or possible but would take away resources from creating content that the majority of STO players want and will pay for.
    Yeah the thing to remember is that Cryptic doesn't have infinite resources to just add things to STO when they feel like it and anything that deviates a lot from the core gameplay loop for STO would need to a lot programming time to play nice with the pre-existing game.

The thing is that is WoW or FF14 won't have the resources to add something like that into them it's highly unlikely that STO would have as Blizzard and Square-Enix have loads more resources to spare for experimentations.

In essence we're not saying those systems would never be fun but rather that implementing them into STO is not viable and would only serve to take away resources from other parts of the game.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    If the content doesn't somehow drive you to spend money on ships, lock box keys, or promo packs, then cryptic isn't interested in developing it.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
This discussion has been closed.