test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is no one interested in content expansion? Habitable Biomes!

1234568»

Comments

• paladinrja#5247 paladinrja Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    > (Quote)
    I still am not sure what a biome is. Is that like that 1980s movie?

Why are you bioming underwater and mountains? Are there Iconians in those biomes?

A biome is a community of plants and animals that have common characteristics for the environment they exist in. They can be found over a range of continents. Biomes are distinct biological communities that have formed in response to a shared physical climate.

An enclosure around one of these, say for an asteroid base, would be called a Biodome.

Yeah! Its essentially a local subset of an eco-system that we introduce ourselves to; and neither typically inhabit, or even belong in. Taking the stance that we are the foreign object, we try to control our habitation there, whether its temporary, or long term. An enclosure such as a biodome is one way we might do that, so that we can work there in some way without risk to ourselves, or the ecology.

If we take the Mycelial network as an example. The Elachi have a certain symbiometry with it and are part of the eco-system. Every biosphere has some way to protect itself, even our Earth. -- When we take what Stammets and May have to say about the Mycelial network. The locations we see in the series and STO are only a small part of it; but the entirety of this eco-system has active particulates that break down foreign matter. -- A lot like the human immune system. Or various important elements we either wish to study / procure in places not intended for us to inhabit (such as underground). These tend to react dramatically, merely introducing a breathable atmosphere for ourselves, or attempting to control the climate. They decay, sometimes rapidly, and this can have adverse effects on the biome, our inhabitation of it and our very reason for being there.

XBOX One GT: Paladinrja
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    If we log out from a ground location, we should always beam off the map
    If we log off while in a non-sector-space space zone we should always warp out.
    When we log in, we should always start off in our quarters or in our ready room inside our ship.

Personally I wouldn't force player to start at their quaters or the ready room but rather I'd treat those like Inn Rooms in FF14 where you would get a small XP boost if you logged out in an inn room via the bed (also instant loggout but STO already has that). So for STO you'd get small boost (XP if need that and something else if you everything maxed) if you logged out in your personal quaters (for example), thus encouraging players to use the interiors without forcing them to do so.

People tend to react poorly if they're forced to do something but not so much if it's an option they can do for benefits but don't have to. Obviously the bonus can't be large enough that it would be considered a "must have".
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Panem et circenses.

Bread (new R&D and Lockbox, etc. Ships) and circuses (continual stream of Events). Now, before some tomahawks let loose let me add, just look back at last year's Roadmap. Nearly half of the entries were for new R&D Ships (not explicitly stated but you could guess).

Do you really expect a fundamental change at the core of the game, regardless of what Geko 'teased' us with. The fundamental change is that we don't get Featured Episodes much anymore and those that we do get have meh rewards and no Sets. 'People hated running the same Episode multiple times' to get all the Rewards. No, they'd rather run the same TFO 14 times to get a Console or whatever that is a one-off Account-wide. If running Episodes more than once was such a problem then the 'Reimagined' Episodes could have gone the route of unlocking the Reward taken Account-wide.

Like Delta Rising, 'Reimagined' Patrols are now new Missions that don't even give you the normal Daily Marks Bonus Box (55) and lock you out with a timer after running it. Red Alerts are now Blue Moon Red Alerts that also don't trigger the Daily Marks Bonus but you can run them until your eyes bleed without cooldown.

Look what they did with the T1-T4 Ships. Removed them from the C-Store like a bum's rush just before a 20% C-Store sale and because of a 'technical glitch' could not add them to the Ship Vendor for Dilithium until, miraculously, the Dilithium sale was over.

OP

https://youtu.be/HmVSoJ1F0eQ
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    If we log out from a ground location, we should always beam off the map
    If we log off while in a non-sector-space space zone we should always warp out.
    When we log in, we should always start off in our quarters or in our ready room inside our ship.

Personally I wouldn't force player to start at their quaters or the ready room but rather I'd treat those like Inn Rooms in FF14 where you would get a small XP boost if you logged out in an inn room via the bed (also instant loggout but STO already has that). So for STO you'd get small boost (XP if need that and something else if you everything maxed) if you logged out in your personal quaters (for example), thus encouraging players to use the interiors without forcing them to do so.

People tend to react poorly if they're forced to do something but not so much if it's an option they can do for benefits but don't have to. Obviously the bonus can't be large enough that it would be considered a "must have".

The reward for logging out in one's quarters needs to be something far more fluid at end game. Possibly some sort of "well rested" buff that can only be obtained by logging out while in one's ship interior, stacks with all other buffs, and persists something like 4 hours with a cooldown of 5 hours.

I feel that it is important that, before adding "Biomes" in line with what this thread was created to discuss, the most underf-utilized game environment we can visit is actually given a quality of life improvement, thus making it an integral part of the gameplay, just as it is an integral part to the shows upon which this game is based.

For 10 years, we have had ship interiors. And for 10 years they have served no meaningful purpose. The longest running Trek shows ran seven years, and the interiors of the ship or starbase they were centered around were integral to every single episode. From my chair, this is a major missed opportunity.

In the context of what this thread was meant to be about, our ship interiors could be classified loosely as a Biome. And because it already exists in the game, it would be a good place to start.

In my opinion.

We do have Biomes in game already.

Risa Classic
    Risa Summer Resort
    Nimbus III
    New Romulus
    Nukara
    Fleet Colony Holding

Which are technically habitable, since the player can visit them. We just can't build anything there, because they're adventure, or social, zones. Just like ESD and First City.

Just like ship interiors, what you see is what you get.

So when you start looking at missed opportunities, that list just keeps getting longer. For example, releasing a fleet holding and then forgetting it exists. The fleet starbase and fleet colony would have two perfect things to test bed player housing with, in a somewhat controlled manner. For ship interiors, another missed opportunity, but on this, I'd likely keep to just the captain's quarters or crew deck. I'd love a customizable crew deck, I could use it trap the majority of the herd of useless NPCs that are walking around behind a wall somewhere.

The buff idea is great and all, but a bandaid at best. All this will accomplish is getting people to use "visit starship bridge" or /bridge in chat. and then when they log back in, clicking leave interior, or in some cases on some interiors, interact. I mean, its a start, but in the long run, isn't going to do anything to actually bring any usefulness to ship interiors. Which still leaves the problem of how to make bridges and ship interiors useful enough to make people use them.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    There's not often that I find myself agreeing with Coldnapalm but yeah the best way to format a request is "could you please do this" and be willing to accept "no" for an anwser.

The thing to remember here is that dispite what some people might claim Cryptic isn't refusing to do some thing just to be mean or lazy. It is the height of arrogance to assume that Cryptic has a massive reserve of untapped resources they can just assign to your personal project.

Also when people show "X takes more work then you think" don't just say "no it doesn't" if you disagree, show how it takes the amount of work you think it does.

Paladinjra people aren't disagreeing with you just to be mean or trying to kill your fun, they're disagreeing because while your ideas could be fun at the moment it is not viable to impliment them (not impossible it's just code after all, but the work needed to do so is more then it is worth).
    Yeah the thing is that Cryptic is in the end a for profit company and thus they choose things based on what gives them the best net profit based on the resources used.

Somethings don't really work if they're monetized, like for example the Foundry people used it because it was essentially free to use (it did cost Dilithium to unlock the Foundry or to get slots for your projects but you didn't have to use real life money for it), now I wonder how many would be willing to use it if you had to pay to unlock it (or to use all aspects of it) I certainly wouldn't. Same deal with player housing not that many people would be willing to pay for it and thus the Return of Investment would be really low
    Yeah the thing is that Cryptic is in the end a for profit company and thus they choose things based on what gives them the best net profit based on the resources used.

Somethings don't really work if they're monetized, like for example the Foundry people used it because it was essentially free to use (it did cost Dilithium to unlock the Foundry or to get slots for your projects but you didn't have to use real life money for it), now I wonder how many would be willing to use it if you had to pay to unlock it (or to use all aspects of it) I certainly wouldn't. Same deal with player housing not that many people would be willing to pay for it and thus the Return of Investment would be really low
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Never mind
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.