test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Return to the Battle at the Binary Stars!

Comments

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    And since neither weapons nor pets are given the same treatment the gimmick is complete nonsense.

Yeah, the old Discovery ship I fought alongside today, with it's two Dominion wingman ships, was a bit silly. :#
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    saipan2 wrote: »
    as a Klingon i hate the fact i fight my own people
    I know, it's so out of character for Klingons to fight it out when they have a disagreement. they should totally sit down, calmly discuss their differances thats the Klingon way right?
    1d7b5v.jpg

It's a simulation...there is no actual fighting here. Never understood this argument for this one...but hey, you now the last FE TFO where you DO kill a bunch of klingons...and I mean 10's of thousands if not 100s of thousands of them...yeah no, that one is fine.

well if yoiu're talking the simulation itself, rather then the story arc then it makes even more sense why you're doing binary stars from the federation POV. the entire point of the simulation is to examine 23rd century Klingon tactics are those are suddenly relevant. mid 23rd century federation tactics aren't relevant because they are neither a threat, nor did they really figure out how to beat the Klingons. (I mean the federation basicly won the war via Deus ex Machina) so there's not much relevance in it.
  • Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    The only part I find sad about the 'simulation' is ending it after 60 ships are destroyed. :p If there's still time on the clock we should be able to go for 80 or more, or the Sarcophagus. :p

Especially if we got all 80 escape pods and the Shenzou was at 98% hull still :p

If we can make the Disco fleet look like complete friggin idiots, we should allowed to be able to do so more until timer runs out. ^_^

And blasting the Sarc permanently so T'kuvma can't make his final spiel would make me laugh greatly. ^_^
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »
    True though I do get some enjoyment from my DSC Connie looking like non-carrier ship of that era. That said the "DSC ship transforms into a DSC ship" is rather silly and it would be nice if they could exclude those skins.

On the upshot, there's no longer any denying Cryptic could add a ship-visual slot for our existing ships, if they wanted to. Obviously there are no technical impediments for it, whatsoever.

Yes, there are no technical impediments, but there is still possibly a fair amount of work.

Right now they have code to switch all player ships to one specific skin, which they've used since Night of the Comet. They also have the code to let specific ships take on other specific skins that are unlocked for it.

They'd still need to expand the tailor logic to allow every skin for every ship you own (with some limitations, like not using T1 Connie with other T5U+ unless you own a T6 Connie), plus create a matrix of what parts can be mixed and matched across different ship skins.

I'd really like to be able to use any ship skin with any ship. I hate the look of recent KDF ships like the squished Qugh and the double-sausage from Discovery, but if I could use a classic KDF ship skin I could fly them.

Yes, restricting the ability to the ships you own, is only fair, of course. Just meant to say, should the matter ever come up again, we now know they have the ability, is all. But since they won't even implement letting me use every bridge I own on every ship I own, even the ones that come just with a default one, it seems likely the'll do yet another R&D promo first, ere this ever sees the light of day.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    If people dislike Battle at the Binary Stars so much, why play it at all?
    No reward, with the possible exception of a free LTS, could possibly be worth this much discontent.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Personally, I HATE this mission. I mean the pew pew part of it is fine and quite fun actually. I hate that I can't use the ship skin I wanna use. They really should just get rid of that aspect for this map.

Yeah - I know the mechanics of it are impossible to overcome, but I must admit it does irk me when my Discovery era ship is 'transformed' into another Discovery era ship.....

yeah, I was like wtf what happened to my SHIP :o
    You should try it in something HUGE like a Vonph or Sarcophagus. You suddenly have what looks like a tiny nimble ship turning like a space station.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @saipan2 said:
    > as a Klingon i hate the fact i fight my own people

Klingons fight their own people all the time. Literally.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Don't like this mission at all, design is just bad, time gates, boring optionals, mindless slaying.

Good mission designs involves something challenging, in the sense of organizing teamwork in some way irrespective of ship and gear level. Kind of like triggering two control points by different team members at the same time to unlock a 3rd event which has to be accomplished before some condition that's not dependent on 'kill more faster'.

Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    If people dislike Battle at the Binary Stars so much, why play it at all?
    No reward, with the possible exception of a free LTS, could possibly be worth this much discontent.

Um, because Event, maybe?! If you don't get the appeal of a 1,000 free Lobi, then you clearly don't have the Lobes.

Besides, ppl never said they dislike the Battle at the Binary Stars so much; rather only 1 aspect of it, namely having their ship skin changed. Which can often look rather weird, at the system keeps your visual other choice(s). So, there I am, flying around in a brownish looking Disco ship, with a blue Deflector.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @saipan2 said:
    > as a Klingon i hate the fact i fight my own people

Klingons fight their own people all the time. Literally.

Indeed a klingon who won't fight another klingon if honor demands it, is no klingon. For this battle honor demands that you fight the simulated klingons as doing so is for the benefit of the Empire and thus honor demands that you fight.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Flaming/trolling redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Besides, ppl never said they dislike the Battle at the Binary Stars so much; rather only 1 aspect of it, namely having their ship skin changed. Which can often look rather weird, at the system keeps your visual other choice(s). So, there I am, flying around in a brownish looking Disco ship, with a blue Deflector.

So the posts about timegates and too much pewpewpew are not people expressing their dislike of those things?

Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Moderated statements redacted. -- WingedHussar

So the posts about timegates and too much pewpewpew are not people expressing their dislike of those things?

Timegates, aka the No Captain Left Behind Program. II get why they use them. But my God, at least add some random mechanic to fill the interim.

As far as the pewfesting, yeah, that been old for for a few years now. I mean when you break it down, there are only a few good TFO's that have mechanics to accomplish. Some of which use to be challenging.

All the old Borg Space TFOs use to have a tactic to use, before pewpew made them obsolete.

Cure Ground has the turret bit to do. Of course, you use to have to have someone to tank Armek. But now he just falls over dead.

Starbase 82, or Infected ground, had the save the crew members from assimilation. Then the little jump puzzle to start the fight with Rebecca.

Khitomer Ground has the control room part.

Assault on Terok Nor has the defend mechanic, the hall console mechanic, and the Leeta mechanic. This is actually one of my favorite TFOs.

Beach Assault gave us the fending off Air Assault mechanic.

Gravity Kills gives us, don't get sucked int to the black hole, the particle mechanic.

Tzenkethi Front gives us the bomb running mechanic.

Days of Doom gives us the run the wrap core mechanic.

We all know Sompek and it's mechanics. well, at least in the version of "DON'T FREAKIN STAND THERE!"

The Competitive Space maps gave us some interesting space mechanics. The invisible bridge at the start, and playing dodge death ball in the ground one aren't bad either.

The battlezone are more fun than the majority of the pewfest TFOs, because there's more to do than show up and shoot that.

However, the boring pewfest ones are more popular, since they're quick and sleazy.

Personally, on this one, they could delete Battle of the Boring Stars from the game and I'd never miss it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Response to moderated post redacted. -- WingedHussar
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    I know, it's so out of character for Klingons to fight it out when they have a disagreement. they should totally sit down, calmly discuss their differances thats the Klingon way right?
    1d7b5v.jpg

It's a simulation...there is no actual fighting here. Never understood this argument for this one...but hey, you now the last FE TFO where you DO kill a bunch of klingons...and I mean 10's of thousands if not 100s of thousands of them...yeah no, that one is fine.

well if yoiu're talking the simulation itself, rather then the story arc then it makes even more sense why you're doing binary stars from the federation POV. the entire point of the simulation is to examine 23rd century Klingon tactics are those are suddenly relevant. mid 23rd century federation tactics aren't relevant because they are neither a threat, nor did they really figure out how to beat the Klingons. (I mean the federation basicly won the war via Deus ex Machina) so there's not much relevance in it.

Then can you please explain it to me too? LOL. Still don't know what happened. A Klingon ship warps in, apparently at the location of a Fed ship, and then explodes, right? You'd think warp capable species have safeguards for that sort of thing, not warping inside a moon or something (or another ship, as the case may be).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    1d7b5v.jpg

Then can you please explain it to me too? LOL. Still don't know what happened. A Klingon ship warps in, apparently at the location of a Fed ship, and then explodes, right? You'd think warp capable species have safeguards for that sort of thing, not warping inside a moon or something (or another ship, as the case may be).

If you mean the Cleave ship.. it doesn't warp in.

The ship is flying cloaked and it rams into the Fed ship dropping the cloak on impact. Basically, the ship has a big 'blade' on the front and it cloaks and rams into other ships. If the ship had been at warp they would have both been disintegrated in a flash. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User

It doesn't warp in, it was cloaked, and it rams the federation ship deliberately because it is designed specifically to do so (the entire bottom half of that ship is a big blade). The klingon leader wanted to demonstrate that they had cloaking technology (which was not a given at the time) and that they were not interested in diplomacy.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

In addition to what the others have said, the scene has been reconstructed from the show. They made it an unskippable cutscene to have the moment of show recognition in there, which is kind of pointless when you don't know the scene in question pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    1d7b5v.jpg

If you mean the Cleave ship.. it doesn't warp in.

The ship is flying cloaked and it rams into the Fed ship dropping the cloak on impact. Basically, the ship has a big 'blade' on the front and it cloaks and rams into other ships. If the ship had been at warp they would have both been disintegrated in a flash. :lol:

Ah. :) Thx for the explanation, guys. At times, I'm such a moonbrain. ;)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    Don't like this mission at all, design is just bad, time gates, boring optionals, mindless slaying.

Good mission designs involves something challenging, in the sense of organizing teamwork in some way irrespective of ship and gear level. Kind of like triggering two control points by different team members at the same time to unlock a 3rd event which has to be accomplished before some condition that's not dependent on 'kill more faster'.

I dunno, the problem with stuff like that is when you have to random PUG it you always get those guys who don't have a clue.
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Hell, I'd be happy if they just got rid of the poorly written and badly acted sound slips from ST:D. But Time Gaters gonna Time Gate, I suppose...
  • Options
    voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User

It probably is a bit confusing if you didn't see the scene(s) in question, which I suppose is why we have YouTube!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7RfJhmfKb_s
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, agreed.. the Cleave scene isn't terribly obvious if you never watched the original episode.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    1d7b5v.jpg

Everyone else already explained the scene, but I have to say it is easily the most painful cutscene for me to watch. The rammed ship doesn't even move, like its anchored to the ground. I have no idea how accurate to the show it is, but I hate watching that scene because basic physics matter.
  • Options

It probably is a bit confusing if you didn't see the scene(s) in question, which I suppose is why we have YouTube!

Thx for the vid. :) I've seen all Episodes of Discovery, but seem to have completely forgotten this scene.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User

Thx for the vid. :) I've seen all Episodes of Discovery, but seem to have completely forgotten this scene.

Parts of ST:Disco were eminently forgettable. And other parts were very good. Seeing Tilly as Captain Killy was great. She looked smokin' hot in that black & gold armor, too. But as soon as you started thinking it was getting really interesting, it would go back to the same old flailing around in directionless cliches. Painfully weak screenwriting seems to be the defining characteristic of movies and TV in this age. (GOT season 8, cough cough)
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Interesting, I just ran BatBS on my science toon for the first time with the Legendary Intrepid, with HILARIOUS results. Every time I clicked Gravity Well 3 90% of the Klingon ships just disappeared! They were dying faster than they could respawn, often leaving only 2 or 3 klingon ships still fighting in the "battle". Made T'kuvma's line at the end about "Klingon supremacy" sound comical because it was an absolute curb stomp win for the Federation.

And this was with only mk12, non-fleet particle generator consoles, so people with actual meta builds could do significantly better.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Interesting, I just ran BatBS on my science toon for the first time with the Legendary Intrepid, with HILARIOUS results. Every time I clicked Gravity Well 3 90% of the Klingon ships just disappeared! They were dying faster than they could respawn, often leaving only 2 or 3 klingon ships still fighting in the "battle". Made T'kuvma's line at the end about "Klingon supremacy" sound comical because it was an absolute curb stomp win for the Federation.

And this was with only mk12, non-fleet particle generator consoles, so people with actual meta builds could do significantly better.

You can run it on advanced or elite too. I find normal is too boring because of how easy they blow up. Even on advanced you can still see that situation with the right builds.
This discussion has been closed.