test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Theory you find more Likelty for Discovery Enterprise to TOS Enterpirse

ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
I been Thinking about TOS Enterprise and Discovery Enterprise and how it can fit into Cannon The One theory I think is more possible is that During the 5 year Mission under Captain Pike The Enterprise had to use an Emergency Saucer Separation and the Star drive was Destroyed and they just used an Old Constitution Class Star-drive to Replace the new one the Enterprise had and refitted the Saucer Drive with some updated system including a Sensor View Screen plus because this Star Drive is less Automated then the one the Enterprise had she had to have another 200 crew members to the roster.
The Other theory was that she went under a 2 year refit on all her systems including a new Bridge Module
May the Shwartz Be With You
CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg

What Theory you find more Likelty for Discovery Enterprise to TOS Enterpirse 8 votes

an Inncodent where the Enterprise had to do Emergency Saucer Separation
12%
ryuranger 1 vote
a Refit after the 5 years Mission ended
87%
garaks31crypticarmsmanthay8472jake477warpangelimperialistscptgamer#8560 7 votes

Comments

• redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I would vote 'other' and say it's simply retcon. For all intents and purposes DIS is set in the primary ST-timeline, so the DIS-Enterprise is the reference for how the Constitution-class now canonically looks, a refit might happen lateron but I doubt they'd roll back to the classic design. And it's probably not going to be important for the future of the show.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Where's the "none of the above" option for "they had a bigger budget so they drew it differently"?

Kind of like the Klingons.
    Image-Klingon-Changes.png
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »
    Kind of like the Klingons.

They don't talk about that though, so don't ask.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    None of the above. The visual differences do not exist in universe.

Explain that to DS9 and Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xka6IYCpj4E

I am personally hoping for someone to create a video where they replace the TOS Klingons with Discovery Klingons in that clip.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    starkaos wrote: »
    None of the above. The visual differences do not exist in universe.

Explain that to DS9 and Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xka6IYCpj4E

I am personally hoping for someone to create a video where they replace the TOS Klingons with Discovery Klingons in that clip.

Interestingly enough, ENT explained it away as viral mutation as a result of genetic engineering. :mrgreen:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be honest, it isn't something I tend to dwell on much.

Though, as unpopular as this opinion may be, I prefer the way the Discovery Enterprise looks over the original.
    I know that opinion is basically sacrilage to some, but eitherway - I LOVE the DSC Constitution design.

It's better looking that the ugly T0S Connie
    latest?cb=20171022133400&path-prefix=en
    That is really ugly

latest?cb=20190419222758&path-prefix=en
    A much better Connie

NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
      the hell is that from? it can't be from any TOS episode, even a remastered one, because it looks too much like an actual ship and not a wood-and-plastic toy, and it isn't from any of the TMP-era movies either because it still has round nacelles​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
      It's an excellent retcon in this case, to be honest the Matt Jeffries Connie was outdated and obsolete for a modern audience and the same goes for the interior, equipment and uniforms.
      We cannot live in the past, some things have to be retconned because quite frankly, we're not living in the 1960s and TOS has really aged badly.
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
        I would vote 'other' and say it's simply retcon. For all intents and purposes DIS is set in the primary ST-timeline, so the DIS-Enterprise is the reference for how the Constitution-class now canonically looks, a refit might happen lateron but I doubt they'd roll back to the classic design. And it's probably not going to be important for the future of the show.
        Pretty much this. The DSC Connie doesn't need to become the TOS Connie because as far as we should be concerned, it's the same ship, just with a more modern take; it's no different to how the JJ Connie doesn't look TOS.

Modern times call for modern changes. A show, ship or set taking place now, but using dated elements simply wouldn't work. DSC is trying to draw in a new crowd of viewers whilst retaining those that grew up with Trek, and I'd say they're doing a stand out job. I know there's a lot of people who don't like the way things are happening, but (in my opinion) that's just stubborn people that're stuck in the past and don't like change.

I adore the DSC Constitution, and I'd love to see a DSC version of other ships such as the Excelsior, Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid (etc); though I don't for one minute expect to see them in DSC. Maybe the Picard series, though they may choose to keep the TNG elements there because those ships don't look half as dated as the TOS Connie does.
        attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
        Personally I like all versions of the Constitution we've had so far, but I have to admit that the original is the weakest in terms of sheer beauty.

My favourite being the refit-1701 with the color-scheme from TMP, when the model was still in top-condition.

The original Jeffries-design to me, is more of a basis though. It was the first, and it has a fascinating simplicity to it - which is also why all following versions do look better to me. The Phase-II-concept was already a huge improvement and evolved into the Refit-version anyway.

Heck, I remember when I played through Star Trek Legacy back in the day… I really didn't like the start of the game, but when I hopped into the ship-selection for the next mission I was actually really happy to see that the NX-01 was replaced by the NCC-1701. The game was still not really good tho.
      • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
        I accept it as a visual retcon and move on. The specifics of the looks aren't that important, but the general idea is, IMO.
        Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
      • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
        I have a great solution! Just ignore Discovery entirely.
        "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
      • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        coldnapalm wrote: »
        valoreah wrote: »
        It's better looking that the ugly T0S Connie
        I beg to differ. The original is classic. It's iconic. It was also filmed using a real physical model, which in my opinion even today CGI cannot replicate perfectly.
        And I say both are ugly pizza cutter shaped abominations. We can all have our own likes and dislikes.
        I like the weird alien stuff better than Federation designs :D
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
        coldnapalm wrote: »
        > @startrekron said:
        > I have a great solution! Just ignore Discovery entirely.

No part of canon gets ignored.

Highlander 2 says hi.

Yes, this!
        "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
      • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
        edited October 2019
        I say neither and just chalk it up to distortions from the temporal cold war and other interventions. Who knows, maybe the Krenim shot something they shouldn't have again as well.
        Or a post FC timeline
        NMXb2ph.png