test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Going to make a large group of players VERY happy.
    Short list really

Trekies - Fly the galaxy map from the bridge. (likely)
    Creative types - Foundry coming back. (unlikely)
    Ship fans - All ships level up with you (unlikely because loss of revenue) (very unlikely)
    Power gamers - Tier 7 ships (likely)
    PvP - Dedicated PvP server (likely)
    other possibles
    Cardasian character full story-line. (likely)

My guesses

Given that it's supposed to happen from a story standpoint:

- Flying the galaxy map from the bridge is unlikely, given that they would need to overcome an engine limitation, plus isn't groundbreaking enough to warrant it happening from an arc.
    - Foundry also isn't big from a story standpoint.
    - Tier 6 ships are already leveling ships, which is where they actually wanted them. They're not going to make all ships scaling though.
    - Tier 7 ships I hope never come.
    - PvP is probably not likely as we're long past the point that it would be warranted in the story to be big.
    - Cardassians won't make sense right now with the Discovery stuff.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    As it is a story arc and as the last few updates have been 'Simulators' to prepare the modern era captains for something I'd have to go with the Klingon Civil War.

I would think that to some degree the Civil War will be successful and the player captains will find themselves on the side of the Alliance against the new Klingon Empire.

This would then change the shape of the game, opening up all the Federation ships and possible content to the Klingon players. Thereby addressing an issue that Klingon players feel they are the redheaded step child of the factions and don't get access to all the nice things the larger more profitable federation players get. Which is basically all the federation specific gear, costumes and the like.
  • xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    korithian1 wrote: »
    As it is a story arc and as the last few updates have been 'Simulators' to prepare the modern era captains for something I'd have to go with the Klingon Civil War.

I would think that to some degree the Civil War will be successful and the player captains will find themselves on the side of the Alliance against the new Klingon Empire.

This would then change the shape of the game, opening up all the Federation ships and possible content to the Klingon players. Thereby addressing an issue that Klingon players feel they are the redheaded step child of the factions and don't get access to all the nice things the larger more profitable federation players get. Which is basically all the federation specific gear, costumes and the like.

Your last paragraph is wrong on a number of levels.

1. Klingons have got new ships, it's some Romulan players that have been complaining of late, because to my knowledge Discovery has no Romulans yet, thus given Cryptic's focus on Discovery content there's been little new Romulan content.
    2. I don't know of any Klingon player that considers their faction "the redheaded step child" due to not having access to Federation Ships and costumes. Seriously if they wanted those things they would have created a Federation character to start with. If there's complaints it's lack of Klingon specific content beyond ships. (Personally I like Feds getting ships that I have no desire to use anyway, but get a ship trait I might want for much cheaper)
    3. It's my observation that those that want to break down the faction walls and allow their KDF characters access to Fed content and visa versa are NOT players with KDF mains, but rather players with FED mains who have KDF alts. Likely KDF alts just for contraband farming and no real interest in playing the Klingon Empire and its allies.

So in conclusion what you suggest in no way addresses any issues held by real KDF players. All it does is erode their KDF identity and force them into being Feds. Well if they wanted to be Federation they would have done that in the first place!

• quinnftw76#3498 quinnftw76 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    My guess, and I see some other people are on a similar track, is that with the release of Picard, the game is going to have to adapt to any changes to the "Prime Timeline" that said new series introduces. This could end up with a complete revision to the Romulan story arcs as well as the (quasi)faction itself.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    My guess, and I see some other people are on a similar track, is that with the release of Picard, the game is going to have to adapt to any changes to the "Prime Timeline" that said new series introduces. This could end up with a complete revision to the Romulan story arcs as well as the (quasi)faction itself.
    Cryptic has already addressed this actually.

They said that if the Picard show's story would wildly change STO's background they will just set STO in an alternate timeline from the Prime universe, and has us jump over to the Prime/Picard universe for some crossover stuff.

If its just some small changes they will make them, but if its something big, they aren't going to completly retcon the story they made thus far to make it fit with the Picard show.

More to the point, I believe, in the interview Geko said that what he does know of the Picard show so far, doesn't effect STO at all.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I wouldn't mind seeing First City get a facelift. That place is easy to get lost in. ;)

PvP is not really gonna be viable for story. Side story wargames like what was set up with the Competative rep yes. But mainline story where it forces you to PvP to continue the story? No. Too easy to inadvertantly gatekeep with our ability to vaporize things. Not everyone can PvP, so it would essentially be a massive wall to many players.

I still wouldn't mind seeing STO venture into Andromeda or some other galaxy. Yes we have territory in the Milky Way that has yet to be explored, but hey... it didn't stop the SGC from sending an expedition team to Pegasus in Stargate.

Don't forget the one major thing about STO. It is the story of our characters, and the events they took part in. Other than the multiplayer aspects like STFs (Or TFOs for those who like the newer term), the story revolves around our individual character as the star. So it is plausible that our characters could get assigned to an expedition fprce sent to uncharted territory, be it Andromeda or some other region. And it would still make sense from the PoV of the player character. I log in on my main, it is the adventures of a young Trill named Krystal Jade, who is currently in command of the USS Melchiott. I switch to my KDF, its her story.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Honestly, i think they will upgrade the graphics engine to support Real time Raytracing/DXT, so they will be able to implement day/night and a lot of other very realistic effects
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    [quote="somtaawkhar;c-13511206"

The Star Trek IP is already so massive, and so overfilled, with alien races/entities of every stripe that basically anything Cryptic could come up with would just be a rehash of some already existing Trek alien. When given the choice of using, and expanding on, something from canon, or making up something that is basically the same thing, why would they not go for the former?

Its honestly my biggest problem with the Lukari and Kentari. They were alright(much better then the Deferi), but they were basically just Not-Vulcans and Not-Romulans, and you could easily make minor changes to the story to use the Vulcans and Romulans, and reframe Dranuur as a first step to reunification, and come out with the same thing as we already got. So I don't really see why Cryptic made the Lukari and Kentari in the first place.[/quote]

By that logic... why bother doing ANYTHING at all?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    xorv wrote: »
    So in conclusion what you suggest in no way addresses any issues held by real KDF players. All it does is erode their KDF identity and force them into being Feds. Well if they wanted to be Federation they would have done that in the first place!
    Please don't "No true Scottsman" in my thread, thank you.

So you're a player who primarily plays KDF, your main character is KDF, and you disagree with my points? If not can you point me to these people?

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    As far as I am aware it has more to do with the game engine then it being 32 bit or not. The game already has a 64 bit version, and they still can't do it on a technical level regardless.
    As long as they support a 32 Bit version of the game, they must ensure that everything can generally still work in 32 Bit.

At the minimum, that needs to ensure the memory footprint of the game never exceeds the addressable space. But it can also mean that they must limit certain mathematical operations to what the 32 bit processor can use most efficiently. If suddenly every multiplication or addition takes twice as much cycle time because it would require a 64 Bit register but you need to instead split the calculation in two 32 it registers, this can have a huge impact on game performance. Or maybe not, because your real bottleneck is not the cycle time of the processor but the time it takes to transfer data between hard drive, ram, cache and finally into the register.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    But it can be extended to basically make variations of anything previously done, and not bother making something new.

If I come off a bit short right now... not exactly in a good mood right now due to dealing with stupidity elsewhere.
    The main appeal of venturing into Andromeda would be total clean slate to work with for brand new stories. Not only that, we could explore what exactly the Iconians did while in Andromeda, and maybe even discover exactly what the Kelvans were running from. Hell... for all we know dangerous radiation levels for Kelvans is harmless to most Milky Way species. We don't know. But I'd like to find out.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I still wouldn't mind seeing STO venture into Andromeda or some other galaxy.
    That didnt end well for Mass Effect did it?
    i hope its exploration since the death of the foundry i have had less and less incentive to log in.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Guys, isn't it obvious? They are capitalising on Discovery, that means aligning the game more with the show. To bring this game closer, means taking it to where season 2 ended and where season 3 begins. Yes, the 32nd century. Just like how a TOS or DSC captains jump to the future, we will all (feds, kdf, rom, dom) jump forward TOGETHER in the same story arc. That possibly means they could unite it as all one faction (like what they did with swtor), along with an altered galaxy map, new starbases, and finally being able to use any former-faction's ships on any character. This would be the story arc that would truly change the face of the game.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    edit: screwed up the post.
    Post edited by thay8472 on
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You should Capitalize all words in a show's name. That is correct.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    That's his era. Let the lunatic sort out his own mess.
    Technically speaking, Daniels is from the year 3052, and Discovery went to the year 3187, 135 years later.

It isn't his era, its past his era.
    Point of order - they believed the ship would wind up in 3187, based on something Dr. Burnham had said. However, until Season 3, we can't really be sure when they wound up.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    By that logic... why bother doing ANYTHING at all?
    I'm not sure what you mean.

STO has built itself off of taking things from canon that were barely explored, and expanding upon them. Adding DEPTH to the IP, rather just widening what is already a massively wide ocean that, outside of a handful of "core" Trek races, is about as deep as a puddle. Seeing, and getting more information on species like the Elachi, Solanae, Bluegill, Tzenkethi, Hur'q, and Iconians, and exploring things like the Dyson Sphere, getting an explanation for why ANYTHING in the Temporal Cold War happens at all, these are the kinds of things I want to see Trek games, novels, and TV shows/movies do.

Any idiot can endlessly rehash the same handful of alien archetypes and call it content, that's effortless, and why I think the LAST thing Star Trek needs is a post Nemesis TV show in the style of TOS or TNG. Its also why I like a lot of Discovery, and why I am glad most of the new announced/rumored Trek projects, Section 31, Starfleet Academy, Ceti Alpha V, Lower Decks, are about expanding various aspects of existing Trek canon, rather then just trying to ape TOS/TNG/VOY by throwing up a bunch of new aliens that are just going to be thrown away the next week.
    I would say the exact opposite, that constant recycling of old canon is an effortless cash grab and the last thing Star Trek needs is a dozen shows with no more ambition than to try to cash in on same old, same old with "updated" visual style.

Having "a massively wide ocean" is realistic worldbuilding. Everything can't be important or interesting all the time. The world is full of people, places and things that were only ever newsworthy once and then forgotten about.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Point of Personal Privilege.

Nothing in particular but since we were doing Robert's, what the heck. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Point of order - they believed the ship would wind up in 3187, based on something Dr. Burnham had said. However, until Season 3, we can't really be sure when they wound up.
    Well, Kurtzman has said that is the year they are going to, and that they will run into some problems when they get there.

He could be lying about them arriving in the right time, but until S3 comes out to say otherwise, we have word of god saying that is where they ended up.

Not lying, more... Plans change. The original plans as laid out in interviews for Season 2 far before its release would have us not meet Spock or board the Enterprise.

I think it is not an accident that they didn't show us the Discovery arriving. This gives them complete freedom in how to continue.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
This discussion has been closed.