test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

1356719

Comments

  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,068 Arc User
    It is true. The devs have mentioned several times in livestreams things that CBS has said no to.

    I totally believe that, I have no doubt that CBS has a strong say on things like plot lines and story direction. I find the idea that they're micromanaging tailor options though to be laughable at best.

    There is no doubt that CBS is heavily involved in the direction of the game, it's their IP after all. It's just some of the silly theories on the level of their micromanagement that I find so ridiculous.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I would suggest that "Changing the face of the game" means another UI change or new farmville-inspired mini-game for solo play,
    Neither of those fit the context Al gave with it stemming from the story they have planned.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    which would more reasonably also mean they can remove the non-functional and vestigal Faction systems
    Nothing about the in-game factions is non-functional or vestigial. Your personal preference on how factions should be done not being catered to doesn't mean something is non-functional. Especially when your previously stated desire is demonstrably impossible.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    a re-engine is due
    That isn't how engines work at all. One does not simply redo the engine, as that would require re doing the whole game. You can't just copy paste something from Unreal 4 and have it work in Source. And, again, that doesn't work with the given context of why this change will occur.


    I know you are just here to mindlessly bash as you always do, but please at least try.
  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 9,245 Arc User
    It is true. The devs have mentioned several times in livestreams things that CBS has said no to.

    And you know, that no position has NEVER changed before...oh wait T6 connie....
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,178 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Citing the FCT to dismiss an idea is not helpful, aka End Game Constitution from the beforetimes. This given the EP said something face changing was going to happen.

    Keep in mind that the EP is NOT Al Rivera. Andre Emerson is the EP. Al Rivera is the Lead Designer, which means that he is in charge of getting the ground work set up for the next big update that the game is going to have.
    More notes on the episode
    • We are coming to the end of the "Age of Discovery" arc set in 2256, with maybe 1-2 missions set in the past left.
    • Cryptic has "put a bow" on how the present day arc with Killy and J'Ula will end, what actors they want, and what the STO storyline will be for the next year and a half.
    • Future storytelling will take place linearly following up on the end of Mirror of Discovery. No more jumping around besides maybe some one off mission in 2256 not about the arc as a whole.
    • Discovery has done really well for STO, in terms of both new and returning players. Breaking records even more then ViL did.
    • Al Rivera had like one more arc he wanted to get into, but was running out of ideas until all these new Trek shows came out. Now there's almost too much for them to hook into.
    • Al isn't concerned about how the Picard shows writing might affect STO, he thinks they are going to be fine.
    • It was Rekha who suggested Landry be in a relationship with a woman, and she wanted to be on site while doing the recording so she could give it her all. Her voice started cracking near the end of recording because she was recording for so long. Wants to do more work with Cryptic.
    • They had to re-record a few lines for Lorca's dialog in Operation Repost because his British accent crept through, and he pronounced Alpha and Omega differently then his character would have.
    • Every time they get an actor for STO they have recorded the level up lines. Al wasn't originally aware that they switched out Tilly's lines for Lorca's for the Discovery character's level up notifications.
    • Lorca wasn't originally going to be voiced in the mission, due to contract disagreements, nor was the player originally going to board the Buran to get the prisoners. Lorca was originally just going to be in a floating medical stasis pod, which they had fully built in-game, but they were able to get Issiacs at the last minute.
    • Every character head we have seen in-game was built using screenshots/photos from the shows/internet. But now CBS has 3D scans for the Discovery actors, so now Cryptic can use those. Cryptic has the 3D scan of the next person they have signed for VA work in-game.
    • The release of TFOs over time has been a success for STO number wise.
    • The revamp of reputation system got put a little bit on hold, but Season 18 will introduce new tech that will bring Cryptic closer to a reputation revamp. Looking into making them less time consuming/take less time to complete. Revamp would simplify reputations, simplify times to get there/rewards. Make generic rep gear more meaningful.
    • Probably only 1 rep a year from now on.
    • Wouldn't do something like let you craft reputation gear to avoid players "finding the path of least resistance" where players do the easiest thing, even if they hate it.
    • Random TFO system has probably been the most successful player retention mechanic in awhile.
    • Things like the mission journal change, scaling TFOs, and being able to start at the beginning of any story arc, are steps to making reputations unlock earlier.
    • Al wants to do more then just TFOs for events, wants to streamline existing systems to make them easier to understand/use.
    • Wants to redo the Borg TFOs, and other older content. Wants to add new VA, cutscenes, better messaging, to older TFOs/content.
    • Next year's story arc will change the face of the game. Not talking about revamping how the game plays(No Star Wars Galaxy style change).
    • Cryptic will be at Vegas, will have an announcement at STLV.
    • Cryptic was at the CBS partner summit, saw some behind the scenes/early stuff for Picard, Lower Decks, the Nickelodeon cartoon, and what they might be able to use in STO. Got to talk to the show makers/had some early conversations about bringing stuff into the game in the future.
    • Some big stuff planned for the 10th anniversary.

    - Having a "close" on the 2256 discovery story arc would make those who want more episodes in the 25th century happy. There will be those though that don't want them to spend any more time on Discovery. They will have to suck it up since J'Ula and Mirror Tilly are still very much tied to Discovery.
    - We know the devs like working the story ahead so that they can make changes, so knowing how they want it to end makes sense.
    - I feel the jumping around was only because they had to see who they could get for the arcs they wanted. Since they likely have whom they wanted, the linear story telling can return.
    - I would imagine that with all the advertising that I've seen lately on Facebook with the Star Trek page regarding stuff with STO, Age of Discovery is doing well for the game.
    - I think the fact that the new shows are providing the devs with so many story ideas is a sign that despite what people say, Star Trek is as strong as ever as a franchise.
    - I would imagine that as the Lead Designer for the game, Al has some insight as to what the basic plot is going to entail, especially given that Cryptic was asked about the stuff they did for the time period that Picard is set.
    - Rehka I feel probably wanted to give her character justice, given that we barely got to see much of her or how she got to be so... hardened.
    - As far as the level up lines, I imagine that they probably didn't think of changing them, but being able to get Isaacs in the game was an opportunity they didn't want to pass up as it's not every day you get a big actor like that.
    - It's good to hear that the TFOs have been successful for cryptic, despite the distaste of how many of them had come out.
    - I'm gonna hedge a bet that Season 18 could be "Age of Discovery: Part 4" which will give us the last of the Discovery episodes of the past, likely squeezed between Secrets and Downfall.
    - One rep a year going forward will make sense as the game has now 13 reputation tracks.
    - Cryptic being at STLV at at this point is a given, even if they don't always have big announcements to do.
    - The 10th anniversary is likely being planned at this point right now. It's a milestone that they definitely want to go big for.

    TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    And you know, that no position has NEVER changed before...oh wait T6 connie....
    This is something of a misrepresentation of the T6 Connie situation. The answer was always a no to a C-Store T6 Connie, because CBS apparently didn't want a ship that was supposed to be that old, but also one that was that iconic, being an end-game ship in the hands of everyone.

    They allowed an R&D box T6 Connie because it made it one of the rarest and most difficult ships to obtain in the game, keeping it suitable rare and iconic to CBS's liking.
    - I'm gonna hedge a bet that Season 18 could be "Age of Discovery: Part 4" which will give us the last of the Discovery episodes of the past, likely squeezed between Secrets and Downfall.
    Given what Al said about future 2256 missions likely being one offs not related to the main story of AoD, and new storyline material picking up from the end of Mirror of Discovery, I would guess AoD part 4 will be set in 2410, and continue the modern day J'Ula and Killy stories.

    Future 2256 missions will likely be something more stand alone, probably added after the arc is done. Like if they get Jett Reno for STO, we might have a more one off mission set during the Klingon War where we she the ship she is on do down and crash on the asteroid.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,036 Community Moderator
    Lovely. I see that patrick continues to be a malcontent. :unamused:
    It is true. The devs have mentioned several times in livestreams things that CBS has said no to.

    I totally believe that, I have no doubt that CBS has a strong say on things like plot lines and story direction. I find the idea that they're micromanaging tailor options though to be laughable at best.

    There is no doubt that CBS is heavily involved in the direction of the game, it's their IP after all. It's just some of the silly theories on the level of their micromanagement that I find so ridiculous.

    That's fine. It's not theory, though, when the devs have stated what has been and has not been approved by CBS.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    It is true. The devs have mentioned several times in livestreams things that CBS has said no to.

    And you know, that no position has NEVER changed before...oh wait T6 connie....

    I didn't say that, so please don't put words in my mouth. I merely agreed that the devs have stated during livestreams things that CBS has vetoed, something you claimed there was lack of evidence for.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 9,245 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    And you know, that no position has NEVER changed before...oh wait T6 connie....
    This is something of a misrepresentation of the T6 Connie situation. The answer was always a no to a C-Store T6 Connie, because CBS apparently didn't want a ship that was supposed to be that old, but also one that was that iconic, being an end-game ship in the hands of everyone.

    They allowed an R&D box T6 Connie because it made it one of the rarest and most difficult ships to obtain in the game, keeping it suitable rare and iconic to CBS's liking.
    - I'm gonna hedge a bet that Season 18 could be "Age of Discovery: Part 4" which will give us the last of the Discovery episodes of the past, likely squeezed between Secrets and Downfall.
    Given what Al said about future 2256 missions likely being one offs not related to the main story of AoD, and new storyline material picking up from the end of Mirror of Discovery, I would guess AoD part 4 will be set in 2410, and continue the modern day J'Ula and Killy stories.

    Future 2256 missions will likely be something more stand alone, probably added after the arc is done. Like if they get Jett Reno for STO, we might have a more one off mission set during the Klingon War where we she the ship she is on do down and crash on the asteroid.

    If that was the case, why was discussion of even adding it to game via, lobi, lockbox or promo box all shut down as well as the call for it to the c-store? That is just revisionist history and you know it, I know...we all know it.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Well since it's TIED to the story as Al says it " but we are changing something significant in the game as a result of the arc we are telling and how it will"

    Nothing about that says exploration or pvp, and I would than theorize that it has more to deal with STO's story since the new arc will explain it. My best guess for this? We all end up Federation like that future mission played out and the new story arc will go into how we all merge into it.
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Lovely. I see that patrick continues to be a malcontent. :unamused:

    I mean and why not? Just because you love STO and literally everything about it doesn't mean everyone views it with the same love struck eyes you do. There's more than a fair share of people that don't like what Cryptic has done with the game lately. I will say I don't have quite his level of venom yet but it's been growing steadily

  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 9,245 Arc User
    Lovely. I see that patrick continues to be a malcontent. :unamused:
    It is true. The devs have mentioned several times in livestreams things that CBS has said no to.

    I totally believe that, I have no doubt that CBS has a strong say on things like plot lines and story direction. I find the idea that they're micromanaging tailor options though to be laughable at best.

    There is no doubt that CBS is heavily involved in the direction of the game, it's their IP after all. It's just some of the silly theories on the level of their micromanagement that I find so ridiculous.

    That's fine. It's not theory, though, when the devs have stated what has been and has not been approved by CBS.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    It is true. The devs have mentioned several times in livestreams things that CBS has said no to.

    And you know, that no position has NEVER changed before...oh wait T6 connie....

    I didn't say that, so please don't put words in my mouth. I merely agreed that the devs have stated during livestreams things that CBS has vetoed, something you claimed there was lack of evidence for.

    1) Why is somebody not being happy with the game as it is now not allowed to voice that without snark from a MODERATOR? Do you only want to hear the good? You want those of us not happy to just shut up and leave? I'm sure that is a wonderful idea for player retention for a game.

    2) And a LOT of what som posts is theory as well. At least sea as the decency to not try to pass off theories has FACTS.

    3) And now who's putting words in other people's mouths? Look again. I NEVER claimed that the devs never said those things. I just said that what they said was later changed. And I implied I don't believe a thing they say anymore. But sea is the one who claimed the lack of evidence. And not even about that specifically.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    I mean and why not? Just because you love STO and literally everything about it doesn't mean everyone views it with the same love struck eyes you do. There's more than a fair share of people that don't like what Cryptic has done with the game lately. I will say I don't have quite his level of venom yet but it's been growing steadily
    Please don't start the "SO YOU THINK THE GAME IS PERFECT!" argument.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,068 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    . I NEVER claimed that the devs never said those things. I just said that what they said was later changed. And I implied I don't believe a thing they say anymore. But sea is the one who claimed the lack of evidence. And not even about that specifically.

    And you were completely right. Things have been said in the past and then later changed or revised. Just because something is a No right now, doesn't mean it always will be. My lack of evidence claim was about something completely different, sorry you got dragged into that.
    Why is the "SO YOU THINK THE GAME IS PERFECT!" argument always the first one people use as a straw man?

    Is it really a strawman though? I mean sure.. you never typed the words 'the game is perfect,' but it does seem to be how you feel. I am not attacking you here, please don't take it that way.. but everything you have ever posted leads people to believe that you are overwhelmingly pleased with all directions the game has taken. Whenever criticism is offered on the forum, it's usually met with a response from you arguing that the criticism is wrong or unfair.

    Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that.. it's your view and you're welcome to it. Believe it or not, at times I envy being able to have that level of optimism, it would be great if I could love the game and love Cryptic as much as you do.. I imagine it would make me a lot happier overall. The reason that people take this approach with you is because that is very much the impression that you give.

    That is not intended as hostility or criticism, just an attempt to answer the question honestly.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 53,036 Community Moderator
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    That is just revisionist history and you know it, I know...we all know it.

    Huh? And since when did you speak for everyone?
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 9,034 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Is it really a strawman though?
    Yes, I have named numerous issues I have with many aspects the game over the years.

    The "criticisms" I tend to address generally have nothing to do with the actual criticism itself, but rather the implausible fixes people propose for said problems.

    For example, I'm all for a new exploration system, but that doesn't mean I wont point out several facts about the Trek IP, or the game itself such as
    A. Star Trek was never about the exploration of space, it was about the exploration of the human condition. Space exploration was just a narrative mcguffin used in TOS and TNG to get the ships and crew out to meet alien races so the writers could make said alien races a caricature of some flaw of humanity so they could show the crew overcoming it, so we could see how to overcome said problem in real life.
    B. Star Trek exploration almost always had the crew having to fire phases, photon torpedoes, or perform open palm punches, as almost everything they ran across was hostile and tried to kill them because a conflict-less episode is a boring one.
    C. Within the context of the above two, STO has no less exploration then the TV shows did. So this constant "everything is war there is no exploration in STO" line is demonstrably false, not only by real world standards, but by Trek IP standards.
    D. Dealing specifically with ideas on how to add a new exploration system, things like some procedural generated "exploration" zone are a technically implausibility, not just for Cryptic but for gaming in general. Game devs have been trying to find the magic button that makes procedural generated content not awful. But even after decades the best we have is No Mans Sky, a game that can barely get terrain and creatures not looking awful, much less trying to create believable aliens, give them personality and backgrounds, and keep track of long running relationships that a worthwhile exploration system would require. This not getting into other technical issues like the insane database bloat that would stem from trying to make procedural generated exploration zones for every character so everyone isn't just plowing through the same pre-set procedural generated thing. The fact that such a system would stem everyone off from each other in the "exploration zone" since you couldn't have everyone's different maps loaded in the same instance. And other such problems.

    My comments rarely have to do with the point that the game is flawed in some manner, and almost always deal with the "fixes" people propose because they aren't really fixes, they are pipe dreams, and pipe dreams aren't a particularly useful suggestions. If the only argument for why a game is bad is because they aren't doing something no one else has ever figured out, then your argument has little room to stand on. Its also why I tend to avoid giving suggestions on how fix many of the larger "issues" people have with the game. I'm no tech expert, and I sure as TRIBBLE aren't going to pull the magical genie out of my TRIBBLE.

    I tend to stick to smaller problems that are technically feasible given what other games have done, things like
    -Dedicated EV suit slot because switching between armor and EV suits sucks.
    -Being able to switch specs outside of combat, or have some sort of ground/space spec loadout feature so that we can have the specs we want for each side of gameplay when we need them.
    -Splitting the active rep powers into ground/space because we have so many of them now that its running into the same problem the passives did where we just have to many, and too few slots, to really build like we need too.
    -Item deltas that show up how an item compared to whatever else is in the slots we can put it in so that we can get a better sense of how an item is better/worse then the one we currently have
    -Standardizing the fleet transwarp menu so every fleet holding can transwarp to every other fleet holding. Having to go through the starbase is an unnecessary hassle.
    -Armada mail
    -Pet tab
    etc. etc.

    But OFC if you don't mindlessly agree with whatever outlandish fix someone thinks up for a problem, then you MUST not think there is a problem at all and the game is perfect!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,036 Community Moderator
    I love it when people think that just because I'm a moderator, I don't have a right to or shouldn't express myself or my own opinion. And heaven forbid if I do, because it just doesn't "look good" to those people. :smirk:

    And my apologies, coldnapalm, I did indeed mistakenly attribute seaofsorrows' claim to you.

    Still, I never said or implied that a no hasn't or couldn't change to a yes. I merely affirmed that there is evidence that supports that CBS has vetoed certain things. But I acknowledge that things could change at some point, as they have with such things as the T6 Constitution.

    Also, while one might assume (presumably by virtue of my position) that I believe STO is perfect and love everything about it and that the devs can do no wrong, that is hardly case. I just don't vent my negativity on the forum. :wink:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,068 Arc User

    The "criticisms" I tend to address generally have nothing to do with the actual criticism itself, but rather the implausible fixes people propose for said problems...

    Fair enough, the intent was not to pass judgment but if your intent has been misinterpreted then apologies for jumping to conclusions. Even though I am not the one that made the initial comment, I did initially agree with it.. perhaps that was a mistake.

    I love it when people think that just because I'm a moderator, I don't have a right to or shouldn't express myself or my own opinion. And heaven forbid if I do, because it just doesn't "look good" to those people. :smirk:

    This is only an issue if the moderator states their opinion then locks the thread to avoid any counter opinions. You don't do that, so it's all fair game. We all state our opinions without hesitation, no reason why you should not be able to do the same. As long as you're not using the moderator tag to indiscriminently silence those that disagree (and you're not) then there is no issue here.
    And my apologies, coldnapalm, I did indeed mistakenly attribute seaofsorrows' claim to you.

    And your response to me was reasonable and polite. I don't think we have a problem here. :smile:

    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    Im thinking its a graphics update. (Which we desperately need. Game is a mess right now. Especially with the tailor and our toons.) A time change, like not based in 2410 anymore. Or a tailor and character revamp.
    gVOTFcj.jpg
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Also, while one might assume (presumably by virtue of my position) that I believe STO is perfect and love everything about it and that the devs can do no wrong, that is hardly case. I just don't vent my negativity on the forum. :wink:

    I don't assume you take those stances solely on being a moderator, I take that assumption based on your actions and the comments you make towards people that blast something about cryptic or sto. When people are upset with the game your general reaction (if you make one) is belittlement or dismissal of their frustration/vent/anger/upsetness. I have not seen you ever say "thats a good point", or "that's a valid frustration", or "I can see why that would upset you". Again this is what I've SEEN, and I know I haven't seen every post you've ever made but that's become my perception of you.

    As for venting on the forums, what other outlets does Cryptic really provide us with? In game to other players will never see the light of day, twitter blasting some dev sounds like a TRIBBLE poor method since it's than directed at just some guy working there vs the games general forums, so we take our complaints here.

    but in general whatever don't wanna keep derailing what big thing might be coming up in STO, so I'll leave it at that.

  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,036 Community Moderator
    Fair enough.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,068 Arc User
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    Im thinking its a graphics update. (Which we desperately need. Game is a mess right now. Especially with the tailor and our toons.) A time change, like not based in 2410 anymore. Or a tailor and character revamp.

    I am leaning toward a time jump forward based on reasons I can't say without spoilers for a current Trek Show. :wink:
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • kellmg96#5851 kellmg96 Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    Maybe they will finally fix the warp out effects, that be pretty TRIBBLE groundbreakin'
    bvpbRd1.jpg
    It is a Good Day to Die!
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Hmmm Mirror Borg crossover to escape the wrath of the Terran Empire? They then bump into the Prime Borg and quickly assimilate there way across the DQ.

    The Alliance must then beg for the Terran Empire to help them? :D
    Sure, why not? They made "dinosaurs with lasers on their heads" work. The Dyson ground battlezone is still my favorite. When Discovery introduced a gigantic sub-atomic organism that exists literally everywhere and everywhen I thought "man, good thing the Borg never discovered this. They would assimilate everything, everywhere, everywhen with it.

    Maybe the Tholians finally get tired of us messing with the timestream and move themselves to an alternate reality, but as a final insult to the Alliance, they give the Borg the keys to the mycelial network. I'm looking forward to logging in and Phillip Crey says "the timestream is totally borked".
    tailor nonsense goes away
    That would be CBS's decision, not Cryptic's. I have linked to the livestreams where they talked about it several times in the past.

    I don't claim knowledge of anything beyond what the devs have made public SEVERAL times over the years. It's not my fault you don't watch/listen to the publicly available streams.
    Great. Then link the livestream(s) where the devs have said that ALL ISSUES with the tailor are because of CBS mandates. Should not be hard since you have linked it in the past. Then we can put this to rest. Maybe even add it to the FCT thread.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    Maybe they will finally fix the warp out effects, that be pretty TRIBBLE groundbreakin'

    xD Maybe, just maybe.
    gVOTFcj.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,295 Arc User
    Al may not be the EP but he sure acts like it. He is much more famous than the the EP, he is in-famous.

    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    I'm always excited for new content but I do wish they were less vague about what they're doing with the existing content. It makes trying to record it quite difficult since I need to maintain consistency.
    ltminns wrote: »
    We are going to the 31st Century and will be all working for the Temporal Bureau.

    Then we get this costume unlock and T6 Waverider with Gideon console
    3414397_0.jpg


  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I would think an obvious choice that hasn't been hit on yet is a mobile option. Either a full port (lower graphics or something) available on mobile (as many handheld devices are getting pretty game-focused with graphics and processing power)

    -OR-

    A functional mobile version of something to replace the now defunct Gateway. So perhaps control of admiralty missions, DOFF missions, or even a new "expansion" of missions or groundplay or something that ties in. Mobile game coding tends to be simpler, cheaper to do, and can still be easily turned into a profit venture.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    which would more reasonably also mean they can remove the non-functional and vestigal Faction systems
    Nothing about the in-game factions is non-functional or vestigial.
    That's technically correct (the best kind of correct). All the various faction restrictions on teaming, mission gameplay, social zones, clothes, ships, etc are as fully functional as ever.

    However, they are unnecessary if not outright counterproductive, as well as badly out of date with the story developments for several years. So they should be removed.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,894 Arc User
    makbure wrote: »
    Maybe sector space gets nuked and bridge navigation via ship interiors that look liked they actually spent some time on them becomes the new way to 'explore' space, sector and beyond. .
    This game isn't going to turn in to Bridge Commander was something he basically outright said. So it's probably not that.

    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,894 Arc User
    Here are some ideas of various levels of outlandishness:

    Galactic Union
    The faction splits are removed. We're all officially one big happy family now.
    That might be more a story-telling conceit then anything else, though. I have my doubts that suddenly Federation characters can play Klingon ships and vice versa. But I won't discount the possibility. Romulan Republic and Jem'Hadar characters can already use (almost) all ships of their allied faction.

    Graphics or UI Overhaul
    A big graphics or UI overhaul. The game probably could benefit from one, and it would be face-changing. But Al seems to suggest the change is story-based, and the UI and the graphics are orthogonal to story development.

    Exploration Content
    Maybe due to story events a new region of space becomes interesting to explore, and so they build an expansion around exploration. That doesn't have to mean procedurally created. It could just mean that the story missions will be about getting to know new aliens and the like (and shooting them up, possibly, this is still a game). Biggest argument here is that Cryptic is very conservative in introducing completely new races.

    Something that players consider a minor change
    The developers have a good idea of how much work goes into whatever they are doing. We only see the aftereffect, and we don't always think of them as big deal, even if technically, they were.


    ---

    FOr something completely different: FCT threads particularly exist because Cryptic is aware of a topic, but know they won't do it at this time. Further discussions will be kinda pointless, they won't reveal or achieve anything new. That doesn't mean that things in the FCT thread won't change at some point, but the change will not come from player requests, but because new technological or contractual possibilities arose.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
Sign In or Register to comment.