test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To Many Ground Endeavors/Trek Happiness in Jeopardy

This is primarily a Space shooter.. there's a lot ground too

But,most players Play Trek to fly starships!!!

I'd say like>10% like ground combat

......>so??? why are Players being forced into all these ground endeavors????!

Yes >its optional i know ;not forced lol

The problem is>i keep getting the hardest ones, all on the ground>re rolled a pile tokens this week>ground>ground>ground

uh >can't they alternate the endeavor space/ground ...i like playing trek,but i want to shut the game off,with so much ground endeavors.

I wager Many players feel the same....

If STO wants players to login more..focus us more in space w the endeavors!!!

*Ground sucks/ every time you touch any object or wall ,your character pauses..I don't even watch ground battles>i just close my eyes and click..in player groups you go blind w solar modules spamming the screen.Then they added Drannur ,with so many displaced enemy you cant click to target their displacement w the mouse;they kill parties while you are trying to target them all the time.My characters perform well;that's not the issue..th e ground content is lame ..We signed on to fly spaceships here!

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I mean seriously, is having to do the dance competition on Nimbus III once really that difficult for you?

Yes. Because it is too dang far for me to fly my spaceship. ::::::::::giggles::::::::::::: :naughty:

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Perhaps you wouldn't run into walls if you paid attention to what you're doing instead of closing your eyes and clicking. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I disagree, ground endeavors are fine.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I like the mix of ground and space endeavors.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I have yet to run in to a ground endeavor that wasn't easy. The only ground endeavor I reroll is "Kill Tzenkethi(ground). Which I'd use Draanur for, but the queue takes to long, and there's nothing in the episodes that interest me enough to go back and do them for it.

The most annoying one is "Kill Hur'Q(Ground)" This is because there's no ground BZ or TFO for it. This one forces you play an episode to complete it, and then only the mission with the morphagenic weapons is worth doing. Well, and Tenbris Tourquet, just for the fun of it.

And don't confuse yourself. Primarily a space shooter? That's just how people play it. It's a space and ground shooter.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    I mean seriously, is having to do the dance competition on Nimbus III once really that difficult for you?

Yes. Because it is too dang far for me to fly my spaceship. ::::::::::giggles::::::::::::: :naughty:

Or to lazy to get out of their ship for that matter.
    powskier wrote: »
    *Ground sucks/ every time you touch any object or wall ,your character pauses..I don't even watch ground battles>i just close my eyes and click..in player groups you go blind w solar modules spamming the screen.Then they added Drannur ,with so many displaced enemy you cant click to target their displacement w the mouse;they kill parties while you are trying to target them all the time.My characters perform well;that's not the issue..th e ground content is lame ..We signed on to fly spaceships here!

Then how the hell do you play the space shooter part? With a blindfold? I mean the visual spam for space is 1000 times worse than it is for ground.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User

The problem is>i keep getting the hardest ones, all on the ground>re rolled a pile tokens this week>ground>ground>ground

uh >can't they alternate the endeavor space/ground ...i like playing trek,but i want to shut the game off,with so much ground endeavors.

What are you talking about? Do you speak for the entire playerbase...at least NOT for me OP. I love equally space and ground and totally disagree with your viewpoints. Talk about being tolerant and I really find this posting insulting.

Rather than whining why not just use a REROLL token if you are talking about a personal endeavor or don't do it if it is a universal endeavor. After all the whole MMO is NOT customized to your specifics needs. If you are rich enough you can have your own personal programmer to design a game just for your own taste rather than be social and play well with others.

1ejuhk.jpg​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator

A few problems here, no it's not primarily a space shooter, it's meant to simulate Trek itself. Trek includes ground and space missions alike. You do not speak for me as a player and I am one of those folks that enjoy space and ground almost equally. Some folks like ground more, some like space more, and then there's some folks that don't care and just want to shoot at stuff.

The endeavors are optional and you do not have to do them. I'm glad you have at least acknowledged that. If you get an endeavor you don't like, the option exists to simply re-roll the endeavor to something else.

The endeavor system is random and chooses a set of endeavors at random for you. I've had days where all of them are ground, and then the next day all are in space, though usually it's a mixture of ground and space. I don't mind it because this gives me a reason to go do certain maps or things I otherwise probably wouldn't interact with that often.

If you want a cheap and easy ground build then grab the Kentari Armor and Kentari shield from Mirrors and Smoke, and then either that plasma weapon from the same mission, or a cheap weapon off the exchange. I usually pair up a split beam rifle or something like a minigun with a tr-116b. Buy any cheap kit frame from the exchange to get started or get one from the colony or research lab. Kit powers are your own personal preference. From there you can virtually anything on ground done in the game you need. Personally I roll the Tzenkethi ground items from the lobi store and have great luck with those.

Far as the last bit about ground content being bad, that's your personal opinion. If some of the visual effects of certain modules are too bright then that tells me you need to adjust your visual effects settings as that's almost always on the end of the user and not the server. As for running into walls and such, that doesn't happen unless you're up against the edge of the map or you're not paying attention and getting stuck on terrain. What on earth are you doing and where are you going that these sorts of things become an issue? If it's a bug that can be reported and fixed. If it's just something on your end, that we can give you tips to play around.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    Glad to hear I am not the only one that does not mind mixing ground and space.
    I know spaceships have their fans...But it is no replacement for knockback and bashing Borg, etc...with a bat'leth and mowing things down with dual pistols. Fun to watch.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I normally cringe at ground gameplay, but the endeavers are easy enough.

It would be nice if Cryptic took STO to STO:2.0 and gave us ground gameplay similar to the Voyeger:Elite Force with its FPS gameplay. I would be more into it then.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    I think the challenge is more about having something in the Endeavor box that I care about playing. Some of the time, the Endeavor mission dovetails perfectly with something my 'toon needed to do anyway, so I can just run the episode/TFO/patrol I had already planned, and the game drops me some extra loot; win/win. Even without Cryptic artificially driving players to specific queues to make up for the awkwardness of randoms, there is plenty to do in the game without feeling "compelled" to do Endeavors...
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    I love ground. learn 2 ground.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I'm gonna have to agree with everyone. Star Trek is NOT just about starships and we did NOT sign up JUST for starships.

If you're having problems on the ground... ask for help. Don't just make demands for the game to conform to your preferences. Never ends well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Note for the OP. The various people responding to this thread often strenuously disagree on a wide range of subjects yet we are nearly unanimous here.

usually in very heated ways that tend to get us warned, or even punished by the mods.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    And yet, even the mods agree here. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    edited February 2019

Yup.. time to check and make sure the sky isn't falling or something.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Yup.. time to check and make sure the sky isn't falling or something.
    There's been pieces of sky landing on my yard for the last 8 hours or so.... Oh you meant other than rain... :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    LOL!

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Love Ground. The only problem I have is with the heal Hitpoints on Ground. I really have to let my Shields fail to get damage to Hitpoints to actually heal.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Love Ground. The only problem I have is with the heal Hitpoints on Ground. I really have to let my Shields fail to get damage to Hitpoints to actually heal.

Could always unequip your shield.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Without Ground, all those hours spent in the Tailor are for naught. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Until this post I didn't think STO even had any players that didn't love ground combat.

However, I do agree with the OP about "every time you touch any object or wall ,your character pauses.." of course it's not every time but a great percentage of the time just barely brush an object and your toon moves like you are running in molasses for as long as any minute portion of your toon is touching that object. IRL if I am running through a room and I happen to hip check a desk it won't even slow me down as glance off of it on my way by. In STO it acts as though the desk is coated with some super sticky glue like substance and I move at the speed of a geriatric snail until I finally manage to pull free from the glue.

Then there's the vegetation that ranges from insubstantial to concrete wall at random. I can walk right through a solid looking bush with no problem but just brushing the tip of a large leaf stops me in my tracks ??
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    Tailor Bug from 09?
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I like ground and space kinda equally, thou ground TFOs are not of my taste (except Sompek, i love that), in PVE missions,i really like it, so no,i think you are wrong
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.