Install Arc
Options

[PC] The Discovery Starter Pack!

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sflZzQn.png
    Congrats! It's a tardigrade BOff, I mean pet (oh, the vanity!)! :smiley:
    I will give it to Ruza, and Ruza will love it and hug it and call it George!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity
    latest?cb=20171106210501
    Unfortunately... you're right. That is about as common as Hydrogen and TIE Fighter parts.
    Not as dumb as you might think. Get mk2 gear, apply upgrades to give tech points but wait until you're the right level to actually upgrade. Some of the high-end upgrades can give enough points for 6 or more mk upgrades, which you can sit on indefinitely if you wish.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    wait... why is the captain in the picture a ROMULAN?!?! Seriously, that's the default RR starting outfit and I see pointy ears! Also I'm pretty sure the bracers and boots are Romulan Republic only items.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Netflix did NOT pay for Discovery season 1.

What they did do, was pay to EXTEND their deal with CBS for the rights to show the ENTIRE catalogue of shows, from TOS to DSC as it was due to run out in 2017 anyway.

The money they paid allowed CBS say that the show was profitable before a single episode had been shown, it is a CBS made show and all Netflix did was pay for the distribution rights to show Discovery globally, they did not pay for production, cast, crew, etc etc etc...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who pays attention to the actual facts! Get's tiring seeing the same rubbish from people who will not accept that Discovery has been successful!
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,989 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    But Mk II gear isn't that much of a boost, even if you stack 2 very rare tactical consoles that's just.+18% or so.
    Mk II VR gear basically breaks the game at lower levels if used correctly on any ship or away team. A single upgrade will bring the gear to about VIII so you can upgrade the important pieces and continue to break the game even further which opens up yet more options.

Mission rewards, drops, combined with some cheap Mk II VR exchange crafted gear being sold due to unwanted modifiers (i.e no [Pen]) provide an economical way to gear up a new character.

With it's scaling hull and shield modifiers, new boff ability slots as you rank up, as well as additional weapons and console slots it's almost like four C-Store ships in one. It's a little engineering heavy for my own tastes but will certainly be durable. I think it represents good value and shows Cryptic has done some thinking about the early to mid-game experience... even the power levels come properly preset.
  • Options
    mazujiemazujie Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    750! 750 for all that scaling gear! Sold!

Only till level 30 for the ship
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    750 zen is a bargin
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    Looks like good value, but it hold nothing interesting for me.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    We've updated a paragraph in the blog to make the rewards more clear. XP Boost and Inventory slots are bound to the first character who claims them. Tardigrade and Weapons are reclaimable. The ship is an account unlock.

tumblr_oq9dm3D8J11relg8bo1_500.gif

When I first read the article I was all like; giphy.gif
    Now I'm all LIKE: wile-e-coyote-gif-2.gif
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Well, a neutronium console at Mk II isn't that much of a boost... not even four of them are, really.

And I doubt people are going to dump millions of ECs in starter gear to fully outfit a ship, only to outlevel said gear shortly after that.

I won't. That said, some of the new alts will get to augment their ships with a mix of gear from my stash and some crafted. And as we can level up most gear with Upgrades, I don't see much of a problem.
    wait... why is the captain in the picture a ROMULAN?!?! Seriously, that's the default RR starting outfit and I see pointy ears! Also I'm pretty sure the bracers and boots are Romulan Republic only items.

Yes. This pack is usable by Starfleet-Allied Captains! ;)
    Post edited by sarvour0 on
    4073703.jpg
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Looks like good value, but it hold nothing interesting for me.

Decent levelling ground weapons for all future toons is quite a thing worth the 750 on its own.

Already have the bajoran weapons for that.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    stoodoggstoodogg Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    750 zen is a bargin

agree

breakdown of pack(Based on approximate similar items) : inventory slot price for one toon= 400 zen, non combat pet price= 300 zen, 150000 exp bonus pool = 600 zen, Tier 4 starship= 1500 zen, Bridge= 400 zen, Weapon pack=300 zen.

Panel member, Tribbles In Ecstasy
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »

Since you can't train boffs in higher rank skills you wont be able to have active skills in the higher rank slots until you level up enough to promote them.

Good point.
    My only issue with this pack is the level scaling for the ship stopping at 30. I am assuming that this is to entice us into buying a higher-tiered ship at 40... 50... etc. Way to "monetize"!

Actually, after reading some of the other posts, I realized that - given how fast the lower levels go - new players attracted by ST:D are unlikely to buy new T2/3/4 ships as they go, so that's one reason to have a T1-4 'scaling' TRIBBLE ship. Also means they don't have to make TRIBBLE-era ships for each of those tiers as well (does TRIBBLE have enough ships to have multiple low-tiers + a bunch of T6's, especially with the Crossfield and Walker already out in lockbox/lobi... instead of making silly-looking homebrew 'filler' ships, they just let the scaling ship fill the whole lower-tier range.)

Eh, we'll see when they announce what other ships there are. /shrug
  • Options
    My only issue with this pack is the level scaling for the ship stopping at 30. I am assuming that this is to entice us into buying a higher-tiered ship at 40... 50... etc. Way to "monetize"!

It's a PROTOTYPE, ICly & OOCly. They are trying something new. Way back in 2010/11, I had the idea for making Refits an option, so you could scale up any ship you wanted. Costs for these Refits would follow a similar curve to the costs of buying new ships at different Tiers. I have campaigned for this off & on since 2011. Getting the Tier 5-Upgrade on select T5 ships is clearly a step in that direction. If this 'scaling ship' concept works out, we may well get to see something similar implemented on more ships, and level-up our T1/2/3 faves to T5, T5-U or even T6!

Yes, there will be new ships & other content that one must pay for in order to have/use. And there will also be more content, ships & gear for free as well. That's how the game works. I often cite STO as one of the BEST business models I know in MMOs. They have done a damn fine job of balancing and rolling out new content. Over the past year and a half, I have gotten more free ships and gear from the game than I would ever have expected just 2-3 years ago!

When they first rolled out the T6 ships, they did 3 limited-time rewards to players, of a FREE T6 starship! I sadly missed out on 2 of the 3 as I missed those emails until too late, but I did get the T6 Intel Assault Cruiser, the Archon-class, and am very, very happy with it!
    4073703.jpg

• Options
    feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    Where does one find this mythical starter pack? I don't see it in the store anywhere.
    Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    * With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,034 Community Moderator
    Its not available yet. Should be on the 9th.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    Klingons, Romulans, and Jem'Hadar....

Hmmm, I love the Federation and all, but please give them some of their own sub-factions (along the lines of AoY/AoD or new content).

When there is a TV show from a Klingon/Romulan/etc point of view

(Which isn't going to happen)

Which is why we have the Klingon Defence Force and the Romulan Republic in STO, right?
  • Options
    sflZzQn.png
    Congrats! It's a tardigrade BOff, I mean pet (oh, the vanity!)! :smiley:
    I will give it to Ruza, and Ruza will love it and hug it and call it George!

Reaction: LOL :smiley:
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,034 Community Moderator
    Which is why we have the Klingon Defence Force and the Romulan Republic in STO, right?

No... pretty sure we have the KDF originally because of the percieved mandatory opposing factions in MMOs. Which is a common practice dating all the way back to WoW with the Alliance vs Horde. Romulans are comparable to WoW's Pandarens, which can choose to join one of the existing factions, and the Jem'Hadar might as well be comparable to Death Knights, having the accelerated start.

Even Elder Scrolls Online has factions, even though they've made them less relevant. I believe the only relevant thing involving factions right now is the PvP elements in ESO. STO can maintain the "opposing factions" stuff while continuing with the story because of PvP. However... the state of PvP in game is poor. Its in tatters with all the unbalanced shtako and there really isn't anywhere to practice it either. Ker'rat is open for ganking, the queues are unwelcoming to rookies... in general PvP is not rookie friendly. At all.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Hmm, it would stink if we get the Starter, and later they drop the full Expansion pack later on, with all the stuff in the Starter set. Then it would've been, I should have waited a bit longer so I wouldn't have double-dipped.

Of course, if we hold off for the full set, and it doesn't include the Starter Set, then we'd be kicking ourselves because we didn't get the early purchase discount....

Danged if you do, danged if you don't.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,989 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    But Mk II gear isn't that much of a boost, even if you stack 2 very rare tactical consoles that's just.+18% or so.
    Mk II VR gear basically breaks the game at lower levels [...]

I don't quite see that, actually. If you know the game, it is extremely easy with any gear, be that one or two tactical consoles, one or four engineering consoles, white or purple gear, etc.
    I agree. It's extremely easy with any gear or number of consoles. My only point was with good gear at a mark at or near your current level it goes from extremely easy to stupid easy. Not sure what it is you're not seeing. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

No... pretty sure we have the KDF originally because of the percieved mandatory opposing factions in MMOs. Which is a common practice dating all the way back to WoW with the Alliance vs Horde. Romulans are comparable to WoW's Pandarens, which can choose to join one of the existing factions, and the Jem'Hadar might as well be comparable to Death Knights, having the accelerated start.

Even Elder Scrolls Online has factions, even though they've made them less relevant. I believe the only relevant thing involving factions right now is the PvP elements in ESO. STO can maintain the "opposing factions" stuff while continuing with the story because of PvP. However... the state of PvP in game is poor. Its in tatters with all the unbalanced shtako and there really isn't anywhere to practice it either. Ker'rat is open for ganking, the queues are unwelcoming to rookies... in general PvP is not rookie friendly. At all.

Quite honestly, what's the point of new factions that ends up being the Starfleet all over again?

Might as well as just have one Starfleet faction, with a selection of what origin you want (i.e. TOS Starfleet) in the tutorial, rather than take up separate slots in Character Creation?

People are just as curious to see how the 'other side' would view events during the same time era, let alone the ships used, and how it would tie into the current events of STO.

Edit: While doing the dishes, I remembered Closed Beta, and they introduced Klingons into the build. It was CBS Marketing who decided that STO needed PvP, and most people they surveyed said they were more for PvPing than PvE/story arcs. Which is why the main focus was relying on PvP (like the old maps where you and your faction fought opposing players from the other faction, like HALO; very basic stuff) to level up.

You got to unlock the faction after reaching level 6 as a Starfleet Officer.

It ended up being a guarantee to have a very limited Klingon faction, not in just what you can do, but in size as well. Especially as it became rinse-and-repeat.

Thank goodness they expanded the Klingons into a more complete faction, I've made quite a few Klingons after that.

Everytime a new faction comes in, like AoY, there's an interest in making those characters. It brings in more characters/players into the faction that it's being fed into. Which, with AoY and AoD, that's Starfleet.

This is part of the reason players who are fans of Klingons and Romulans are feeling shortchanged in STO.
    Post edited by captaincelestial on
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited October 2018
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Netflix did NOT pay for Discovery season 1.

What they did do, was pay to EXTEND their deal with CBS for the rights to show the ENTIRE catalogue of shows, from TOS to DSC as it was due to run out in 2017 anyway.

The money they paid allowed CBS say that the show was profitable before a single episode had been shown, it is a CBS made show and all Netflix did was pay for the distribution rights to show Discovery globally, they did not pay for production, cast, crew, etc etc etc...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who pays attention to the actual facts! Get's tiring seeing the same rubbish from people who will not accept that Discovery has been successful!

Yall really need to read more, 1 I never mentioned that dumb lawsuit except to mock it. 2 I never said TRIBBLE wasnt successful, I said it under performed compared to expectations, 3 go look it up the amount netflix paid for the distro right to TRIBBLE was more than the cost of s1 TRIBBLE. All this was public record. There are also plenty of articles on how netflix wasn't thrilled with the returns they got after spending that much
  • Options
    madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Quite honestly, what's the point of new factions that ends up being the Starfleet all over again?

Might as well as just have one Starfleet faction, with a selection of what origin you want (i.e. TOS Starfleet) in the tutorial, rather than take up separate slots in Character Creation?

People are just as curious to see how the 'other side' would view events during the same time era, let alone the ships used, and how it would tie into the current events of STO.

Perhaps a future revision of the game will give the player the option to choose a timeframe first (Enterprise, Discovery, TOS, TNG, Current) - and once chosen you pick your faction. I can easily see how they could include Klingons and Romulans in that, with the right look, content, and story - and yes, you end up in "present day" (2410) and play on from that point. It would give you the option to lay in the era you like for a limited time, before you end up in the same place and time as all the other players - but give you access to era specific ships/uniforms/gear. Of course this would be a massive overhaul to the game - STO2.0. That's not to say something like this wont happen, but it would require a lot of development and work.

People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,513 Arc User
    It sounds fantastic, though considering it has a ship in it is no doubt priced well beyond what I and a lot of other FtP players can afford.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    750 zen is basically a t1 ship price but for that you get one you can use to level 40 plus, and you get extra inventory and leveling guns. It is worth trying to get your dil swapped for

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles