test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Extended Maintenances This Week

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    I live in the southern US and since they started all this extended maint I have had problems with rubberbanding, freezing, SNR and d/c. Some days are worse than others, but sometimes I can't play a mission without being d/c at least once.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    quintaris wrote: »
    twimtbp.png

Last nvidia cards i had burned up in less than a year , say what you want about AMD but this set is 8 years old , nvidia has never built anything that lasts.
    I run AMD also, an R9 200 series. It works great and has for several years now.

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    renata666 wrote: »
    twimtbp.png

Last nvidia cards i had burned up in less than a year , say what you want about AMD but this set is 8 years old , nvidia has never built anything that lasts.
    I run AMD also, an R9 200 series. It works great and has for several years now.

I have no complaints with my AMD cards either, outside of way back when they introduced the Devidian series and the lighting in the one mission pretty much caused the game to crash consistently. It took Cryptic a while to get that sorted also but they did. Side by side, the look of AMD's rendering looks better to me.
  • chi1701dchi1701d Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Are you going to extend breach event to cover these extended maintenance?
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    chi1701d wrote: »
    Are you going to extend breach event to cover these extended maintenance?

Yes, Kael said so on page one of this thread.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    twimtbp.png

Talk about a bad run of luck.

There was only one NVidia card I had a problem with, and that was an ACER computer that had a bad 1060. Never lasted long. Had to turn it in three times.

But all of my other NVidia cards lasted years.
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    twimtbp.png

Last 2 nvidia cards ive had still work, the last one I was using was a GTX260, still works today in media pc and that thing was running 24/7 for over 5 years.
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    leemwatson wrote: »
    jcsww wrote: »
    tomilak wrote: »
    I hope after all this maintenance is done the rubber banding, etc, decreases, cause I have friends who experience this type of disruptions nightly for like 4 hours but during the afternoon theres none of this, the times in question are 7pm est. thru 11pm est. if anyone is interested. I for one do not experience that much in the way of rubber banding but it has happened.

I have had a little of this in Breach runs for the event. It's not too bad, at least from what I have noticed, but I have seen plenty of players complain in chat about the lag and rubberbanding lately.

However, this is more likely an ISP issue or an IP conflict or any other number of issues, not a server issue. I'm in the UK and I get no observable lag or rubberbanding and that's despite not using a proxy.

Nothing to do with ISP and its all to do with their servers, whenever I have an issue changing to "US Proxy" in Launcher options sorts it. I know its nothing to do with my ISP because I have a monitor on my line and I check other game sources and 99.9999999999999999% of the time they run perfectly fine with lower than 20ms latency.

STO is the ONLY game that consistently runs ~100-150ms no matter what.

Even doing a line trace will show its an issue after it reaches their handoff.
  • cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    jelly0 wrote: »
    ...snip...

Nothing to do with ISP and its all to do with their servers, whenever I have an issue changing to "US Proxy" in Launcher options sorts it. I know its nothing to do with my ISP because I have a monitor on my line and I check other game sources and 99.9999999999999999% of the time they run perfectly fine with lower than 20ms latency.

STO is the ONLY game that consistently runs ~100-150ms no matter what.

Even doing a line trace will show its an issue after it reaches their handoff.

I've also ran the trace routes and when I'm having severe issues I observe the same thing. It gets to Cryptic's handoff and goes down a rabbit hole.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    And that's why I said it with a smiley face. It is not written in stone that a new Lockbox will be forthcoming with the 'Expansion' so there is still time for an Infinity. That is why I've switched to my backup date of October 16th. Any later will get any possible 'Recruiting' Event into conflict with the Winter Event.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    YBWyACJ.png

(Flaming/Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • aeternusdoleoaeternusdoleo Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Any details on the extended maintenance? What's keeping the techs so busy these days? Would be nice to know the reason... and don't be shy on the technobabble, we're trekkies after all ;)

Also, Spear... regardless of the time you choose, someone will be impacted. Schedule it earlier, and the eastcoast folks have their evening ruined. Schedule it later, and the west coast has their evening ruined, along with euro morning. My guess is that the maintenance is scheduled during office hours at the server location so the techs can work on it during their regular office hours. This way, the folks who usually pay their way (IE people with jobs who play in the evening hours) are least impacted. It's a reason I can get behind. Since you do not know the reason for the extended downtime, your assumption that testing stuff on Tribble may reduce it is... questionable at best. I bet the user database of Tribble is a few orders of magnitude smaller then that of the live server.
    ... forget your fears. And want no more...

Ex-PWI player (Dawnglory): Ulsyr (BM 104/104/103)
    Now on STO. More fun there.
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    Pathetic that this discussion turns into the ever returning bull of nVidia vs. AMD, where IMO between 100 & 150 fps on a RX 470 is more then enough on 1080p for a game that isn't optimized for the current hardware standards. And there lays the issue, why waste more money on hardware if the devs and house doesn't take the effort and resources to clean up the mess they have created and blame their incompetences upon their own base whilst they keep on sucking money out of our pockets by any means they can find. Which, ansigh, is a shame coz Star Trek is one of those rare gems in gaming, if it would evolve and kept updated.

Now, off to Elder Scrolls Online during this downtime, where the house and devs understand the principle of taking & giving, how to please their base and keping their game up to date with the latest developments in hardware (see latest great update to ensure that multicore CPU's with more then 4 cores are utilised to their fullest potential). Only shame there, is that they don't have horses with phaser beams or disruptors.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    Hey folks,

The estimates for Tuesday have changed to 5.5 hours for PC and 5 hours for Console.

Thanks for being patient.

Darn. No play time for me today it seems.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • arbrielfamilyarbrielfamily Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Has the scheduled downtime been extended or is it still due to end in approx 1 hour 35 minutes?
  • airskiairski Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hello, I am just back and trying out the new story, Or should I say I'd like to be trying out the new story. I understand maintanance needs to be done, however how about mixing up the times a bit?
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Why has STO needed so much maintenance over the years, seriously seems to be down more than up, weird for a game that is heavily instanced with just 30players per and what 1k players left?. What keeps breaking? im curious coz its never fixed the time outs etc.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    Apparently it isn't over yet, I can't even connect to the patchserver
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    I remember when star wars galaxies went down for 2 weeks after a botched patch with no communication from sony, this type of downtime whilst inconvenient is but nothing compared to the games of old
  • reaperreborn64reaperreborn64 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    well it does say 10 am Pacific standard time just saying
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Give us a Phoenix event and I shall forgive. :P

This is a bit off thread topic, but I'm expecting a Phoenix event too soon since we've had, now, a couple of events that rewarded dilithium. I'm sure there's a threshold criteria number of dilithium for players to accumulate or in-game overall to where then Cryptic will release the Phoenix for enticed dilithium spending.

Pertaining to the extended maintenance, it is annoying, but I nowadays appreciate the away time from STO & try to think of it as Cryptic, hopefully, trying to make the game better by fixing glitches, old & new, which might be a laughable thought I know & enhancing quality of life issues with STO which they've been better at lately imho. Overall I'm guessing some of this extended work is being done in preparation for the new Age of Discovery that is being gavaged down our throats for better or worse.
  • jono#3590 jono Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    > @nightwchtr said:
    > kreygasm1 wrote: »
    >
    > Pretty soon you're gonna have to change the name to STAR TREK OFFLINE...AMIRITE?!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > LMAO aint that the truth, this is the only game in the 30yrs I have been playing that has so many maintenance windows and during the day. Usually maintenance windows are at night not 5am (8am EST) to 10am (1pm EST). I rather it just be down for a week and you guys do a complete overall to fix issues.

Are the server's down on the Xbox one
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    No freaking kidding.

601px-RedOct_002.jpg
    Don't forget your hardhat. ;)

This Rattler just dropped a Hunt for Red October pic. Great Bird Bless you. 👏👏👏👏
    Extended Maintenance is news that everyone will take a lot better if it comes with an announcement of an Upgrade Weekend for PC players.

Just sayin. :wink:

I...am not opposed....
    jcsww wrote: »
    tomilak wrote: »
    I hope after all this maintenance is done the rubber banding, etc, decreases, cause I have friends who experience this type of disruptions nightly for like 4 hours but during the afternoon theres none of this, the times in question are 7pm est. thru 11pm est. if anyone is interested. I for one do not experience that much in the way of rubber banding but it has happened.

I have had a little of this in Breach runs for the event. It's not too bad, at least from what I have noticed, but I have seen plenty of players complain in chat about the lag and rubberbanding lately.

I had massive lag and rubberbanding the day before yesterday for the first time in a while. It was jarring since she'd been running so smoothly lately.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    I have to admit, I was hoping for an early start... well, in one hour we shall be done with the maintenance, unless they extend it.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,677 Community Manager
    Folks, maintenance was extended for a bit. I'll keep you updated as I know more, but we're looking at closer to 11:30 PT at this point.
    The minute I posted this:
    I have to admit, I was hoping for an early start... well, in one hour we shall be done with the maintenance, unless they extend it.

Kael posted this:
    Folks, maintenance was extended for a bit. I'll keep you updated as I know more, but we're looking at closer to 11:30 PT at this point.
    Damn....
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    > @anodynes said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > Laying the groundwork for an October 2nd launch of AoD. :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > As I said in another thread, the ship has already sailed for October 2nd. We would have had the Infinity Lock Box return, presumably with Discovery Lock Box items added just in time for the Discovery-themed update, after maintenance on the 20th if it was going live on the 2nd.

What is going on on the 27th?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    Well, map moving into the fleet holdings have been super slow since... forever. But must say that the "Unto the Breach" event has been running very satisfactory for three, nay four chars, all they way and beyond into the bonus domain. So I don't get to complain as much as usual today. Also have to sneak up under the ocean, in order to enjoy these services. So it *could* be worse. :-)
    edited September 2018
    So I have my last post in my "Leave a Comment" section whenever I refresh the thread... why? And how can get rid of it?

Edit: Posting fixed it... weird.
  • kelryonlorkelryonlor Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    And yet another hour and a half ?? What the heck!?!?! I play numerous games including Star Wars The Old republic, World of Tanks, Dungeons and Dragons Online, steam games and console games. Never in all my years of gaming have I seen a game require numerous days each and every week for "maintanence" nor have I ever seen it take more than a few hours. Never this 5 hours. Nope make that 7. oops again now its 10 hours bs. And thursday yet again we wont be able to play for even longer ? This is really getting frustrating. My game time is already limited and now looks like now for the 3rd week straight I dont get to play. Guess I'll go spend my money on a game that actually is up more often then down unlike STO. Sad too. This is my favorite game.
This discussion has been closed.