test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Discover New Adventures This Fall!

Comments

• mavrocketmavrocket Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    (seriously, just add hair and you get your TNG era Klingon!)

Seriously, NOT AT ALL.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/MlFPs.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaltrends-uploads-prod/2017/04/michael-dorn-worf-star-trek.jpg

• intennaintenna Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    My biggest problem with ST:D is that they had to make TV-MA. Really? Couldn't they have left out the stuff that makes it this way? Star Trek has always been a family friendly show, why change it to this edgy nonsense? Because of this, I do not want to support it in any way. It actually saddens me, that STO is pretty much forced to add this content, because if they don't, they will miss out on an opportunity to run alongside a tv show.
  • hivercidehivercide Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Don't bother trying to convince people of that... Their so hung up with it not looking EXACTLY like TOS that it doesn't compute. WE know it is, but some people will refuse to accept it because its different.

I did not like the looks of TRIBBLE, not because it "didn't look EXACTLY" like TOS, but instead because it did not FEEL like Star Trek to me. It showed me a future that was dark, dismal, and completely depressing. And also, because of how the ships and equipment seemed to be BETTER than TOS. Really, what's-her-face was holding a real-time interstellar holographic chat with Sarek in the very first episode....and yet somehow the Enterprise did not have this technology available 10 years later? Did this tech somehow give a space version of the "cellphone brain cancer" that some people worry about these days? Because that's the only reason I can think of why this kind of communication would not be used. If you're going to make a preview series, at least try and attempt to have the tech in your show match up!

This plus yet another re-imagining of the Klingons (To look like some sort of Orc/Drow halfbreed, no less....they even had what I thought looked like a Spiderweb motif going on the Klingon crypt-ship. I thought this was Star Trek, not Neverwinter?), and a (for the most part) extremely unlikable crew, made it very unbearable to me.
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Oh look, a new ship! I dub thee Mirandovery... or Discoveranda?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    If my brain was working right now this post would be a Tardigrade in a safari hat. We'll see what I can do for the next ten forward.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    YBWyACJ.png
  • carguy1701#7145 carguy1701 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Will the "Discovery Era Starfleet characters" be considered a new "faction" in the way the Agents of Yesterday TOSlings are considered a faction (or as I prefer the term f(r)action, heh)?

Was wondering this myself. We aren't going to see the 25c Federation tutorial get axed, are we? For that mater, how are DIS-era characters going to be transitioned to the 25th century? Temporal chicanery?
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Of all the things that's wrong with Discovery, why have a problem with Burnham?

She's a boring character. All the cool characters are the secondary people.

THIS. THIS RIGHT HERE. The whole 'adopted sister of Spock' thing just feels like that pic of Steve Buschemy trying to be a high school student (I really wish I know what it was from).
  • arxialarxial Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    So, when do we get a KDF side starter? Romulan side was fun, Jem'Hadar getting cut into the line was okay, but kinda hamfisted. Does this mean we aren't getting tardigrades? If so, THANK YOU.
    arxial wrote: »
    So, when do we get a KDF side starter? Romulan side was fun, Jem'Hadar getting cut into the line was okay, but kinda hamfisted. Does this mean we aren't getting tardigrades? If so, THANK YOU.
    8VfoMfK.png
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    This is gonna be a big pass for me, not interested in Discovery content.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Another new starter character? I barely have the time for the ones I already have.

Damn you CBS and your obsession with Star Trek's Days of Future's Past rather than its future. Oh well at least we're about to get Picard back.

Thing about the Picard TV show, it's supposed to be set 20 years after the last movie, and it's Prime timeline. Will that show mean the stories written by Kestrel be retconned depending on the episodes from the new show, or would STO become an alternate timeline?
    edited September 2018
    leemwatson wrote: »
    jlebeck wrote: »
    I'll give it a look I guess although I haven't seen anything of this new show, besides I've set myself the boundary of keeping within the prime universe rather than all these alternate ones. It's getting very complicated to keep up with now.

Despite what some 'fans' may say, they do not own the IP, CBS has said repeatedly Discovery takes place in the Prime Universe. Visual differences aside, which some folk just can't get past, there will be a rational explanation for the hairless Klingons (seriously, just add hair and you get your TNG era Klingon!)

Seriously, no.

Someone did a mock up of Disco Klingons with wig and goatee. And it stunk even worse.

The time consuming, and expensive make-up's one of the reason Star Trek: Discovery went over-budget. Let alone it makes actors fumble around in combat scenes nearly as bad as the poor guy in the TOS Gorn suit.

Doesn't matter if they say 'Down with the DS9 Tribble episode and Enterprise's take on how the Klingons got to look like the TOS Klingons and how they'll revert by the time the TMP occurs', they should seriously redo the entire head design to keep down the expenses and time in the make-up chair (it's one thing for one or two Klingons, it's worse when you add in the number of extras some scenes will call for).
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User

She's not simply boring, she's annoying. She's a Mary Sue who's never wrong, is smarter than everyone around her, yet is never listened to, makes the best decisions but gets overridden by her captain, uses her strangely undiagnosed PTSD as an excuse to bully everyone around her yet is somehow so heroic that we follow her life for years AFTER she TRIBBLE up in the most spectacular fashion by causing the Klingon/Federation war.

I can forgive the change in Asthetics, almost ignore the 'new age Klingons' and forgive the odd story direction. But I cannot watch a show where in I just want the Main Character to either get put in prison for the rest of eternity or, preferably, Die!

Look up "8 deadly words" because when it comes to Burnham, I don't care what happens to that character.
    8VfoMfK.png

I thought the Tardigrade was told to fly and be free?
  • czechmarkczechmark Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I'm cautious but hopeful... I do agree that Discovery's aesthetics looks a bit too advanced even by TNG/DS9/Voy standards; even Enterprise looked plausibly primitive and it had its issues. But what little I've seen for the expansion is tantalizing. I hope STO does a better job than ST:D did for making its Klingons more sympathetic... I didn't care for any of them at all. Even Duras and Gowron, both fairly stereotypical corrupt/power-mad politicians, were more personable than T'kuvma, Voq, and L'Rell ever were, and given the talent involved, it's rather sad. I actually liked Burnham for the most part, but making her Spock's half-sister was... ill-advised. It was just begging for comparisons to bad fan-fiction.

The Miranda equivalent looks really nifty, I'll make an ST:D character just to fly it. I do hope that it is an accessible skin for a T6 ship. It seriously annoys me that the AoY Utility Cruiser, an elegant and TOS-plausible design, never got a T6 version. I'm also hoping ST:D-style Klingon ships from will be available for KDF; AoY had some great Klingon Raptor/Orion Vessel/Gorn Destroyer designs that were wasted by only being used once. It would hardly hurt to throw KDF players a bone in that regard.
    Will the "Discovery Era Starfleet characters" be considered a new "faction" in the way the Agents of Yesterday TOSlings are considered a faction (or as I prefer the term f(r)action, heh)?

Was wondering this myself. We aren't going to see the 25c Federation tutorial get axed, are we? For that mater, how are DIS-era characters going to be transitioned to the 25th century? Temporal chicanery?

THIS. THIS RIGHT HERE. The whole 'adopted sister of Spock' thing just feels like that pic of Steve Buschemy trying to be a high school student (I really wish I know what it was from).

AoD characters will probably be blown out of the air lock of the Discovery as it makes one of it's extradimensional spore jumps. Kind of in a Dr. Who way.

She's alright, but the secondary characters are definitely more interesting.

I wonder if we'll get a purple BOff? I can see us working with with Cadet Tilly, but as much as I'd like her to be the best friend/first BOff for some characters I might make for AoD, it would look weird for a future episode where she (as a character in an episode) were to be in the same room as Tilly the BOff.

Having holographic versions of DS9 characters in missions with their respective 'live' characters was almost like being in a Reginald Barclay holodeck sim ;)

Besides, she'd eventually would have to transfer to the Discovery.
    yakodym wrote: »
    Oh look, a new ship! I dub thee Mirandovery... or Discoveranda?

If I could use a react, it would be cross between a Vote Up and a LOL :)
    8VfoMfK.png

I thought the Tardigrade was told to fly and be free?

Surprise!
    rkftheQ.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    yet is somehow so heroic that we follow her life for years AFTER she **** up in the most spectacular fashion by causing the Klingon/Federation war.
    Did... did you watch the show? Captain Georgiou caused the war. The only way you could think that Burnham started the war is if you didn't watch the show at all and just parroted others who also didn't watch the show.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    yet is somehow so heroic that we follow her life for years AFTER she **** up in the most spectacular fashion by causing the Klingon/Federation war.
    Did... did you watch the show? Captain Georgiou caused the war. The only way you could think that Burnham started the war is if you didn't watch the show at all and just parroted others who also didn't watch the show.
    Honestly I would say T'kuvma started that war as it was clear from outset that he would not accept a peaceful solution and once he had gotten the Klingon Houses to agree that he had a point they couldn't back down from the war without loosing face.

T'Kuvma made sure that only way that encounter could end was with a war with UFP, really only possible way war could have been avoided was if T'kuvma was captured alive and even that was long shot.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Honestly I would say T'kuvma started that war as it was clear from outset that he would not accept a peaceful solution and once he had gotten the Klingon Houses to agree that he had a point they couldn't back down from the war without loosing face.

T'Kuvma made sure that only way that encounter could end was with a war with UFP, really only possible way war could have been avoided was if T'kuvma was captured alive and even that was long shot.
    It's true that T'Kuvma wanted the war and actually started the war. But Georgiou played right into his hand and was the cause of the war on the Federation side.

When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • cptstark1cptstark1 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    give us new themed wallpapers!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    suspected as much, not the annoucement, but the general idea surrounding this new starting experience, it is obvious there is going to be a time travel element to it and likely Daniels again, which makes this the same as AoY when those few missions have ended with the whole temporal operative thing in the 25th. Cryptic have been cloning ships recently and i wouldn't be surprised if this new faction ends up following that path with continued lack of creativity.

Don't see it as a negative, see it as a positive from a negative. if Cryptic can wake themselves out of this stale trance they are developing themselves into, the better. i know they can do better.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited September 2018

She mutinied against a competent captain on nothing more than a gut feeling and a story from daddy. Then, some time later, she pulled the empress of a bloodthirsty dimension of comic book villains who are all as dumb or dumber than her into her own dimension because she had the same face as her surrogate mommy, all so the writers could do a really stupid thing to end the war they clearly hadn't put any real thought into.

Burnham is the crux of every critical thing wrong with Discovery. There's a lot of canon gripes you could raise with it or art direction complaints you could level, but those are only adjacent to the plot. Burnham's really bad ideas are direct drivers of the plot, and it's that plot that is Discovery's ultimate flaw. It's really stupid.

I say this as someone who likes Discovery for the most part.

EDIT: Also that little starter ship is adorable and I really like it. Kudos to whoever designed that, it's pretty great.
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    How about no.
    edited September 2018
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Then, some time later, she pulled the empress of a bloodthirsty dimension of comic book villains who are all as dumb or dumber than her into her own dimension because she had the same face as her surrogate mommy, all so the writers could do a really stupid thing to end the war they clearly hadn't put any real thought into..
    See the thing is I agree with all of that but the focus of my disgust is with the writers, producers and directors themselves. I also generally like Discovery despite the lazy and childish writing.