test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should boffs be allowed to wear off duty outfits?

I know there are probably pros and cons on both sides, so I'm curious to see what the community thinks.

Should boffs be allowed to wear off duty outfits? 132 votes

Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
87%
nightkenikonn#1068talonxvduncanidaho11cptbambamcaptainoblivousbaddmoonrizinmattjohnsonvaallyoftheforcegaevsmanoriginalspockstrathkinkurumimorishitalesplejcswwartan42meimeitoolordsteve1bloodyrizwhere2r1 116 votes
No (do NOT allow boffs to wear off duty outfits)
12%
shpoksmirrorchaoscirran1phoasrimmariesalazarrazepostagepaiddixoniumjaegersonliantheliakragenskjoldvalarauko43leemwatsonwideningxgyrezateron#9297angrywolf#8238 16 votes
«134

Comments

  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    The one thing boffs should def be allowed to wear is ALL PARTS of a lobi uniform. I'm looking at you Tzenkethi Armor


    Post edited by ussvaliant#6064 on
    maR4zDV.jpg

    Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    1. Boffs should be able to wear everything.
    2. Category restrictions should be removed entirely for making the game worse.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,872 Arc User
    No (do NOT allow boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    If someone wants to run about with a gaggle of bikini clad boffs with the chest slider set to constant backpain then they can play a kdf.

    The way boffs behave they don't deserve any off duty time or the privileges that come with it.

    I'd much rather they sort cosmetics for the players so we can avoid insanely stupid locks such as those that appear on the tsunkatse gloves.
  • christopher082christopher082 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I remember playing a foundry mission, can't remember the name, where you started out camping before stuff happened. Because foundry authors can't remove away teams, you were camping with your officers. It would have been nice to be able to put them in appropriate off duty outfits
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,732 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I think we should be able to play Space Barbie with our BOFFs too. At least when they're not off on missions with you.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

    xp8s7wd.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,002 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    Yes, why not. If I want a baseball team, bikini squad, tuxedo gang or whatever that's my fun and doesn't hurt anyone else.

    I'd buy more costumes if they were usable on my boffs.
  • colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 1,906 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I don't see why not. I mean, in my crew are several characters who are essentially civilians (like Quark, Nog, Jake, Wesley, Neelix, Kes, etc.).
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

    This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I'm all for space barbie with boffs. I'm itching to put my crew in Aloha shirts for that McHale's Navy experience! ♥

    ~glares at the forum langolears as she adds additional thoughts ...~

    Heck, G.I. Joe's characters had them wearing all sorts of things on their action figure's uniforms. Baseball and football jerseys ... heck, I think one bloke even had a full blown baseball uniform! And an aloha shirt on Chuckles, Bazooka's football jersey. Heck, Quick Kick ran around without a shirt! Anywho, if the casual approach is good enough for G.I. Joe, then by golly, it's good enough for STO boffs! Besides, all things considered, shouldn't our crews be an elite force of sorts anyway?
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

    And knowing is half the battle!

    21 'til I die!
  • colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 1,906 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    Actually, I'd love to be able to do MORE with my BOs. For instance, I'd like to be free to bring one (at least) with me to planets and social zones, like Risa or DS9 (ok, DS9 is already a little crowded, maybe not there).

    I'd also like them to be more active and interactive. I'd love them to actually do their JOBS on away missions. I mean, I'm a science officer, not an engineer, so why would I be repairing things when I have an engineer standing right there? My Klingon is a tactical officer, why would he be scanning rocks when he has a science officer right beside him?
    But, that may be a pipe dream.
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

    This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I voted yes because we need it badly, my ferengi crew need those jackets!
    Also why can we change some holoboffs their uniforms ( like the holo Geordi boff) and others totally can not? ( tos crew)?
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 855 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    The real question is why the heck is this not already in the game?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,002 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I voted yes because we need it badly, my ferengi crew need those jackets!
    Also why can we change some holoboffs their uniforms ( like the holo Geordi boff) and others totally can not? ( tos crew)?

    That one makes more sense, since Cryptic needs agreement from CBS and the actor to use their likeness in-game, and it's probably only approved for the one look (two for Leeta).

    They don't have a way to lock tailor changes to a set of preset looks, so they can't do something like offer 4 different canon uniforms for Geordi.

  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,361 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I would never vote no on more personal customization.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

    Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I'd like to put one of the Talaxian boffs from the lobbi store in a talaxian outfit.
  • valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,159 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    mez83 wrote: »
    I'd like to put one of the Talaxian boffs from the lobbi store in a talaxian outfit.

    ^ Agreed. Restrictions like this are supremely annoying.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I remember playing a foundry mission, can't remember the name, where you started out camping before stuff happened. Because foundry authors can't remove away teams, you were camping with your officers. It would have been nice to be able to put them in appropriate off duty outfits
    There are already things that are technically uniforms that really don't look it. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I remember playing a foundry mission, can't remember the name, where you started out camping before stuff happened. Because foundry authors can't remove away teams, you were camping with your officers. It would have been nice to be able to put them in appropriate off duty outfits
    There are already things that are technically uniforms that really don't look it. :p
    I've often wondered if they like roll dice or something to decide what restrictions to put on a clothes item. They are that arbitrary.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I'm for no uniform restrictions on characters/boffs that you can obtain for your character's faction. KDF in starfleet uniforms and vice versa not at all obviously as the only valid restriction. However both sides should have equal color options.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > captainkenny1 wrote: »
    >
    > I voted yes because we need it badly, my ferengi crew need those jackets!
    > Also why can we change some holoboffs their uniforms ( like the holo Geordi boff) and others totally can not? ( tos crew)?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That one makes more sense, since Cryptic needs agreement from CBS and the actor to use their likeness in-game, and it's probably only approved for the one look (two for Leeta).
    >
    > They don't have a way to lock tailor changes to a set of preset looks, so they can't do something like offer 4 different canon uniforms for Geordi.

    But the likeness concerns the face, so the uniform doesn’t matter, just like the emh boff. I just want my tos crew in movie uniforms, not change their faces or anything
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,002 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > captainkenny1 wrote: »
    >
    > I voted yes because we need it badly, my ferengi crew need those jackets!
    > Also why can we change some holoboffs their uniforms ( like the holo Geordi boff) and others totally can not? ( tos crew)?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That one makes more sense, since Cryptic needs agreement from CBS and the actor to use their likeness in-game, and it's probably only approved for the one look (two for Leeta).
    >
    > They don't have a way to lock tailor changes to a set of preset looks, so they can't do something like offer 4 different canon uniforms for Geordi.

    But the likeness concerns the face, so the uniform doesn’t matter, just like the emh boff. I just want my tos crew in movie uniforms, not change their faces or anything

    But with the tailor as it is you could put them in *anything*, and this is guessing but the approvals might be tied to the appearance as a whole.

  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    warpangel wrote: »
    I've often wondered if they like roll dice or something to decide what restrictions to put on a clothes item. They are that arbitrary.

    This.

    Also weird is how certain colors are locked together for no apparent reason. I know of at least one case where my character's eyeball color was locked to the secondary color of a glove.

    Mismatched palettes are hell in this game. Romulan green doesn't match Federation green? Why do I have half a dozen different palettes in any given character's outfit? I've made content for games with weird palette functions and restrictions before. 8-bit bitmaps with class-based palettes were a nightmare... in 1999. Why the cuss we have palette restrictions at all in 2018 I don't know.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,002 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    mneme0 wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    I've often wondered if they like roll dice or something to decide what restrictions to put on a clothes item. They are that arbitrary.

    This.

    Also weird is how certain colors are locked together for no apparent reason. I know of at least one case where my character's eyeball color was locked to the secondary color of a glove.

    Mismatched palettes are hell in this game. Romulan green doesn't match Federation green? Why do I have half a dozen different palettes in any given character's outfit? I've made content for games with weird palette functions and restrictions before. 8-bit bitmaps with class-based palettes were a nightmare... in 1999. Why the cuss we have palette restrictions at all in 2018 I don't know.

    Very good point. Even if the uniform pieces use a palette index, moving to 24-bit color would only cost 2 more bytes per piece per uniform.

    I was trying to match KDF and Romulan colors on a boff a couple of days ago and as you say the greens don't match. Since CBS clearly allows non-canon colors for STO uniforms there's nothing preventing Cryptic from fixing this.

  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,732 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    mneme0 wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    I've often wondered if they like roll dice or something to decide what restrictions to put on a clothes item. They are that arbitrary.

    This.

    Also weird is how certain colors are locked together for no apparent reason. I know of at least one case where my character's eyeball color was locked to the secondary color of a glove.

    Mismatched palettes are hell in this game. Romulan green doesn't match Federation green? Why do I have half a dozen different palettes in any given character's outfit? I've made content for games with weird palette functions and restrictions before. 8-bit bitmaps with class-based palettes were a nightmare... in 1999. Why the cuss we have palette restrictions at all in 2018 I don't know.

    I noticed this on one of my alien captains where the color of the inner part of the Ocampa Ear 1 is tied to his spot color.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

    xp8s7wd.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    mneme0 wrote: »
    Also weird is how certain colors are locked together for no apparent reason. I know of at least one case where my character's eyeball color was locked to the secondary color of a glove.
    That's an artefact of the engine being recycled from Champions Online. There, the tailor has buttons that allow players to link certain colors together to make it easier to create a consistent color scheme on an outfit without having to individually recolor every piece. They've removed those buttons from STO's tailor (probably because the feature totally would not work with STO's palette restrictions), but the code is still there and if something trips it you get these weird lock-ins that can be difficult to disengage.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,252 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    Not only should boffs be able to wear everything, they should also have multiple options for outfits like the captain.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    > @talonxv said:
    > Not only should boffs be able to wear everything, they should also have multiple options for outfits like the captain.

    They do
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    > @talonxv said:
    > Not only should boffs be able to wear everything, they should also have multiple options for outfits like the captain.

    They do
    He means the ability to swap boff outfits when not at the tailor.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    No (do NOT allow boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    You pose the question as if it were only a matter of giving permission to do so.

    In reality, it takes programming time and resources, both of which I'd rather be spent on a laundry list of other activities, instead of letting boffs wear off duty outfits.

    Besides where would they even wear them? It's not like you can bring them along to Risa or even ESD.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    You pose the question as if it were only a matter of giving permission to do so.

    In reality, it takes programming time and resources, both of which I'd rather be spent on a laundry list of other activities, instead of letting boffs wear off duty outfits.

    Besides where would they even wear them? It's not like you can bring them along to Risa or even ESD.
    Off-duty category can be worn anywhere that the boff goes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.