test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should boffs be allowed to wear off duty outfits?

Comments

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    > @markhawkman said:
    > captainkenny1 wrote: »
    >
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > Not only should boffs be able to wear everything, they should also have multiple options for outfits like the captain.
    >
    > They do
    >
    >
    >
    > He means the ability to swap boff outfits when not at the tailor.

Exactly this.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    my ferengi boffs would be happy to wear the ferengi jackets and the talaxian clothes
  • Options
    smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    my ferengi boffs would be happy to wear the ferengi jackets and the talaxian clothes

An excellent "for instance." "Off duty" doesn't necessarily mean "not on duty." Sometimes the look I'm going for for a crew's uniform is only available under the "off duty" category. And no, it's not at all about bikinis. I've got head canon privateers, freighter crews, traders, mad scientists, smugglers, characters from movies that have been on MST3K... Here's my money. Just let us play.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Not only should boffs be allowed to wear any part/outfit; so should any captain - Just put a caveat on the tailor screen saying 'some clipping may occur between different outfit parts'
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    Not only should boffs be allowed to wear any part/outfit; so should any captain - Just put a caveat on the tailor screen saying 'some clipping may occur between different outfit parts'
    Some clipping occurs anyway, if you pick items that clip. All the excuses about category restriction stopping clipping is complete nonsense. It does no such thing and never has.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    This is probably the most lopsided poll I've ever seen on these forums, 91% for Yes.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    No (do NOT allow boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    I'm in the minority here. Your Boffs are on duty, it wouldn't suit the regulations if your male first officer comes on the bridge wearing a mankini or your female bridge officer comes on the bridge wearing school kit with a very racy open shirt and tiny skirt. completely inappropriate, besides that where exactly will your boffs go to express themselves in off duty clothing anyway? so to my way of thinking i don't see the point.

if one of your boffs can go to risa with you, then sure there could be a use for off duty as long as it remains seperate from everything else on duty.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    a
    I'm in the minority here. Your Boffs are on duty, it wouldn't suit the regulations if your male first officer comes on the bridge wearing a mankini or your female bridge officer comes on the bridge wearing school kit with a very racy open shirt and tiny skirt. completely inappropriate, besides that where exactly will your boffs go to express themselves in off duty clothing anyway? so to my way of thinking i don't see the point.
    There are no regulations. We dress our toons and our boffs however we want.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User

if one of your boffs can go to risa with you, then sure there could be a use for off duty as long as it remains separate from everything else on duty.

Consistency check:
    - Do you only fly C-Store ships?
    - Do you only use 25th-century Phasers for Starfleet ship beams and away team rifles? (Also: KDF - Disruptors, Romulans - Plasma, etc.)

If yes, your real name might be Edward Jellico but congratulations on practicing what you preach :)

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

There are regulations, but part of STOs lore is that Starfleet has given all captains the freedom to establish their own uniforms for their ships. So if, for example, I wanted to dress all my boffs in a tuxedo, I should be able to. I personally wouldn't be putting boffs in a bikini, but I really don't care that other people would either.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User

There are regulations, but part of STOs lore is that Starfleet has given all captains the freedom to establish their own uniforms for their ships. So if, for example, I wanted to dress all my boffs in a tuxedo, I should be able to. I personally wouldn't be putting boffs in a bikini, but I really don't care that other people would either.

Exactly. And if a skipper prefers to have a more casual approach regarding the ship's uniform, then that's their prerogative. Whether it be bikinis, formal suits, baseball unis, or hawaiian shirts, I fully support that freedom. Heck I wish there were more hat options for toons and boffs, but that's a bit for another thread, I expect.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options

Lore says whatever, but in-game we don't have to have any kind of uniform at all can dress everyone in whatever we feel like. Except when we can't, for no reason.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

if one of your boffs can go to risa with you, then sure there could be a use for off duty as long as it remains separate from everything else on duty.

Consistency check:
    - Do you only use 25th-century Phasers for Starfleet ship beams and away team rifles? (Also: KDF - Disruptors, Romulans - Plasma, etc.)

If yes, your real name might be Edward Jellico but congratulations on practicing what you preach :)

fact check.

1. you're deflecting from making a valid point with spam.
    2. your spam has no relevence here since it has nothing to do with boff clothing choices.
    Lore says whatever, but in-game we don't have to have any kind of uniform at all can dress everyone in whatever we feel like. Except when we can't, for no reason.

And yet, when you get an officer, it comes in standard Klingon armor, standard Starfleet outfit and standard Republic outfit until you change it yourself.

But you still haven't explained out how your boffs are still wearing on duty clothes no matter how much you may change them around and that all the clothing choices you can dress them in are all on duty anyway. you also haven't explained any reason for why they should be wearing off duty without having having an off duty section in which the boffs can make use of that clothing choice anyway.

what you feel you can dress them in is besides the point if it all on duty and where ever you go on a mission they are going to be on duty wearing on duty equipment.

i'm not trying to be unreasonable, i would like a solid response why and how because so far i still don't see the point in it for the sake of it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options

Consistency check:

fact check.

1. you're deflecting from making a valid point with spam.
    2. your spam has no relevence here since it has nothing to do with boff clothing choices.

And yet, when you get an officer, it comes in standard Klingon armor, standard Starfleet outfit and standard Republic outfit until you change it yourself.

But you still haven't explained out how your boffs are still wearing on duty clothes no matter how much you may change them around and that all the clothing choices you can dress them in are all on duty anyway. you also haven't explained any reason for why they should be wearing off duty without having having an off duty section in which the boffs can make use of that clothing choice anyway.

what you feel you can dress them in is besides the point if it all on duty and where ever you go on a mission they are going to be on duty wearing on duty equipment.

i'm not trying to be unreasonable, i would like a solid response why and how because so far i still don't see the point in it for the sake of it.

It is directly relevant.

You want to impose a dress code because "regulations."

If Starfleet and KDF regulations really matter to you then you should also be using regulation (i.e. canon) ships and weapons.

Using a Boolean cannon from another timeline? Denied as non-regulation. Standard-issue Phaser it is.

Flying a temporal ship? Denied as non-regulation. Get back in a Defiant, Captain.
  • Options

My boffs are wearing "on duty" (or rather "Uniform") clothes, because Cryptic has arbitrarily labeled some clothes as such and used that label as a vehicle for equally arbitrary restrictions. It is the label that is there "for the sake of it."

If you think all or even most of the clothes in the "Uniform" category have anything to do with uniforms at all, much less faction uniforms, you obviously haven't played with the tailor much.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I rarely am in a place where I would be scrutinizing anyone else's BOFFs very closely.
    Even if I were, I doubt it would get a blip on my radar how they were decorated.

It is easy to sit here in the forums and say, "Who cares."

I understand, though. Because they would be opening up a huge can of worms. Players (and every new rotation of players that come into the game) are going to be asking it be fixed until the end of time.

Who would want to be stuck sitting there for hours fidgeting around shapes to remove clipping issues. And it wouldn't be a very productive use of time.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    > @mirrorchaos said:

> i'm not trying to be unreasonable, i would like a solid response why and how because so far i still don't see the point in it for the sake of it.

Someone might want to make a boff who's a part of the crew, but not a member of Starfleet, much like neelix in voyager.
  • Options
    mez83 wrote: »
    Someone might want to make a boff who's a part of the crew, but not a member of Starfleet, much like neelix in voyager.
    There are plenty of outfits in the "Uniform" cat already that have nothing whatsoever to do with Starfleet or any other uniform for that matter. That's one reason why the category discrimination is so pointless.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    > @mirrorchaos said:

> i'm not trying to be unreasonable, i would like a solid response why and how because so far i still don't see the point in it for the sake of it.

Except Neelix never manned the helm...he never fired a phaser...he was a cook pretty much his entire journey. Other than Seven (Which her outfits count as a uniform if I recall) do you ever seen any kind of *civilian* being a officer on a starship unless it was a civilian manned ship...and last time I checked we don't have a civilian faction.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    lianthelia wrote: »
    > @mirrorchaos said:

Except Neelix never manned the helm...he never fired a phaser...he was a cook pretty much his entire journey. Other than Seven (Which her outfits count as a uniform if I recall) do you ever seen any kind of *civilian* being a officer on a starship unless it was a civilian manned ship...and last time I checked we don't have a civilian faction.

People have mentioned before there there are already many outfits under the "uniform" category which look nothing like uniforms that Starfleet captains/crews should be wearing when on active duty. Here are some great examples from the STO Costumes subreddit:

Guardians of the Galaxy: https://imgur.com/a/cC7xE8i

Firefly TV show: https://imgur.com/a/9ZC0yL9

Star Wars characters: https://imgur.com/a/jkJ9Qbr

So the point is, regardless of whether you think it makes sense or not, there are already tons of things that aren't really "uniforms" in that section. And since that is already the case, it makes no good sense to block out other things like dress suits and vests or the Neelix outfits.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    > @mirrorchaos said:

On the other hand, any number of those "civilian specialists" came along on away missions, in their non-reg-uniform clothes.

And in the shows, they may not have had it happen much (or at all), but if the Big Emergency Alert, All Main Crew To Bridge call came when half of them were in aerobics gear (or rave-party fetish outfits) on the Holodeck? Gotta believe they'd run to the bridge, instead of taking 10 minutes to change. Maybe a quick replicated robe over it. :D

---
    At a more general level, "but lore!" has been kind of out the window for years, when we're able to run around in our utterly-alien ships (Undine, Tholian, Elachi, Herald, etc) with all sorts of crazy retro-fit equipment mounted.

And there's plenty of silly clothes you can throw on your boffs right now and walk around Really Serious Federation Stations in. And captains have it even looser, given they can wear Off Duty, Formal, and many other categories in most places. Only really limited stuff is swimsuits and Club outfits, and even without those, a captain can go pretty nuts and still walk around ESD/DS9/Starbases/Ships/etc. Throwing the last few pieces open won't really change much - people can already run around in all sorts of crazy stuff, but you don't see ESD covered in it, right? First month after they unlocked everything would be chaotic in ESD, and then most people would go right back to wearing their character's Real Outfits.

(Like, you can already run around in "beachwear" in ESD - Mirror Universe shorts, one of the Off Duty-unlocked swim tops, and bare feet. And then there's things like that Exo III strap-top with a miniskirt, purple thigh-high boots and sparkly tights. Or Seven of Nine's catsuit overlaid with a Herald Thrall monokini. Heck, that one's even Uniform, I think, so I could put it on my boffs.)

tl;dr - the cat's already halfway out of the bag, "lore!" hasn't been a serious reason for years, why not go the rest of the way
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    You seem to have forgotten that the game used to spit out randomly generated Boff outfits... which sometimes lead to things like:
    melaticollection_by_marhawkman-dch06n7.png
    Asley Merri Gieger… is a tactical officer who came with a jacket colored yellow and green, but also it's an off-duty item.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    > @lianthelia said:
    > mez83 wrote: »
    >
    > > @mirrorchaos said:
    >
    > > i'm not trying to be unreasonable, i would like a solid response why and how because so far i still don't see the point in it for the sake of it.
    >
    > Someone might want to make a boff who's a part of the crew, but not a member of Starfleet, much like neelix in voyager.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Except Neelix never manned the helm...he never fired a phaser...he was a cook pretty much his entire journey. Other than Seven (Which her outfits count as a uniform if I recall) do you ever seen any kind of *civilian* being a officer on a starship unless it was a civilian manned ship...and last time I checked we don't have a civilian faction.

Except neelix wasn't just the cook. He was often on away teams, where he did indeed fire a phaser on several occasions.
  • Options
    And we actually do have several playable civilian ships, like the Risan ships, the Tuffli and the Amarie.
  • Options
    You seem to have forgotten that the game used to spit out randomly generated Boff outfits... which sometimes lead to things like:
    melaticollection_by_marhawkman-dch06n7.png
    Asley Merri Gieger… is a tactical officer who came with a jacket colored yellow and green, but also it's an off-duty item.

It's still like that. One of my new Romulan boffs showed up wearing a t-shirt. No, not the Romulan civ shirts, an actual t-shirt.

Apparently it was Casual Friday on the warbird ;)

• Options
    > @mirrorchaos said:

People have mentioned before there there are already many outfits under the "uniform" category which look nothing like uniforms that Starfleet captains/crews should be wearing when on active duty. Here are some great examples from the STO Costumes subreddit:

Guardians of the Galaxy: https://imgur.com/a/cC7xE8i

Firefly TV show: https://imgur.com/a/9ZC0yL9

Star Wars characters: https://imgur.com/a/jkJ9Qbr

So the point is, regardless of whether you think it makes sense or not, there are already tons of things that aren't really "uniforms" in that section. And since that is already the case, it makes no good sense to block out other things like dress suits and vests or the Neelix outfits.

Sorry you can't romance your boff out of her bikini on the bridge? Just as easily romance her out of her uniform...or do you just not have enough imagination?

Because lets be honest...these kind of arguments mainly seem to pop up right around the time of the summer event...not a coincidence.
  • Options
    > @lianthelia said:
    >
    > > @mirrorchaos said:
    >
    > > i'm not trying to be unreasonable, i would like a solid response why and how because so far i still don't see the point in it for the sake of it.
    >
    > Someone might want to make a boff who's a part of the crew, but not a member of Starfleet, much like neelix in voyager.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Except Neelix never manned the helm...he never fired a phaser...he was a cook pretty much his entire journey. Other than Seven (Which her outfits count as a uniform if I recall) do you ever seen any kind of *civilian* being a officer on a starship unless it was a civilian manned ship...and last time I checked we don't have a civilian faction.

Except neelix wasn't just the cook. He was often on away teams, where he did indeed fire a phaser on several occasions.

Obviously civilians fire weapons...I mean the ship weapons...since it went over your head I meant he never manned any important station...he never did anything vital to ship operation...he never piloted the ship, never fixed the warp core, and never manned tactical.
  • Options
    > @lianthelia said:
    >
    > > @lianthelia said:
    > > mez83 wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @mirrorchaos said:
    > >
    > > > i'm not trying to be unreasonable, i would like a solid response why and how because so far i still don't see the point in it for the sake of it.
    > >
    > > Someone might want to make a boff who's a part of the crew, but not a member of Starfleet, much like neelix in voyager.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Except Neelix never manned the helm...he never fired a phaser...he was a cook pretty much his entire journey. Other than Seven (Which her outfits count as a uniform if I recall) do you ever seen any kind of *civilian* being a officer on a starship unless it was a civilian manned ship...and last time I checked we don't have a civilian faction.
    >
    > Except neelix wasn't just the cook. He was often on away teams, where he did indeed fire a phaser on several occasions.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Obviously civilians fire weapons...I mean the ship weapons...since it went over your head I meant he never manned any important station...he never did anything vital to ship operation...he never piloted the ship, never fixed the warp core, and never manned tactical.

Well if that's the criteria then, how about wesley crusher? He was a civilian, but he manned a station on the bridge. And I know he was an "acting ensign" but he was still not a starfleet officer, did not wear a starfleet uniform, sure he had that grey jump suit, but it wasn't a uniform. And I have trouble imaging as starship captain sending a civilian on potentially dangerous away mission unless they served a vital role.
  • Options
    rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    Nah.
    I barely see them as-is.
    If they are gonna spend time on a QOL update, how's about a Pet tab like in Champions?

or allow us to lowman some of the ground queues and fill the empty slots with our BOffs