test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Next Expansion Suggestion: Kelvin Timeline

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Here's an idea, the events that lead up to Star Trek Beyond (the Franklin dissappering etc) are something that occured before the timelines split, but it was never, as far as we know, dealt with in the prime universe. this is something that could have been stewing and could potentially, POTENTIALLY, be used as the story hook for an expansion

That is assuming that the timeline split. According to STO in the Terminal Expanse mission, there is no timeline split between the STO universe and the Kelvin one.
    In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one. A romulan ship accidentally traveled here through a singularity.

They found themselves in 2233 and later destroyed the U.S.S. Kelvin in battle. This caused their timeline to differ from ours - as a result, we now refer to it as the Kelvin Timeline.

The Kelvin-Movie Timeline might have split from the Prime Universe, but the Kelvin-STO Timeline didn't split from the STO Universe according to Daniels. Daniels is from the 31st Century so he would have the technology to know if a universe was created from a timeline split or is a parallel universe. So even if the Kelvin-Movie Timeline was completely identical to the Prime Universe before 2233, that doesn't mean the Kelvin-STO Timeline is completely identical to the STO Universe before 2233. So there might be no Krall, Abronath, Ancient Ones, or Jaylah in the Kelvin-STO timeline. Therefore, as long as CBS and Paramount make a distinction between the Kelvin-Movie Timeline and Kelvin-STO Timeline, then Cryptic can do whatever they want with the Kelvin-STO Timeline as long as it is approved by the appropriate authorities.
  • Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Here's an idea, the events that lead up to Star Trek Beyond (the Franklin dissappering etc) are something that occured before the timelines split, but it was never, as far as we know, dealt with in the prime universe. this is something that could have been stewing and could potentially, POTENTIALLY, be used as the story hook for an expansion

That is assuming that the timeline split. According to STO in the Terminal Expanse mission, there is no timeline split between the STO universe and the Kelvin one.
    In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one. A romulan ship accidentally traveled here through a singularity.

They found themselves in 2233 and later destroyed the U.S.S. Kelvin in battle. This caused their timeline to differ from ours - as a result, we now refer to it as the Kelvin Timeline.

The Kelvin-Movie Timeline might have split from the Prime Universe, but the Kelvin-STO Timeline didn't split from the STO Universe according to Daniels. Daniels is from the 31st Century so he would have the technology to know if a universe was created from a timeline split or is a parallel universe. So even if the Kelvin-Movie Timeline was completely identical to the Prime Universe before 2233, that doesn't mean the Kelvin-STO Timeline is completely identical to the STO Universe before 2233. So there might be no Krall, Abronath, Ancient Ones, or Jaylah in the Kelvin-STO timeline. Therefore, as long as CBS and Paramount make a distinction between the Kelvin-Movie Timeline and Kelvin-STO Timeline, then Cryptic can do whatever they want with the Kelvin-STO Timeline as long as it is approved by the appropriate authorities.

This. I don't think that the pre-Narada Kelvin timeline is consistent enough with the prime timeline that we can assume that they were the same. In fact, I think it makes a lot more sense overall if the Discovery timeline is the prime timeline for the Kelvin timeline, and that's what averted by the Narada incursion.
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    If it will be TNG based then I hope they release a T6 Oberth with abilities similar to the one from the The Pegasus episode of TNG.

Yessss. T6 Oberth is the PERFECT match for a Fed scout-ship "science raider" with limited cloaking abilities.
  • Options

This. I don't think that the pre-Narada Kelvin timeline is consistent enough with the prime timeline that we can assume that they were the same. In fact, I think it makes a lot more sense overall if the Discovery timeline is the prime timeline for the Kelvin timeline, and that's what averted by the Narada incursion.

Personally, I believe that the 'Discovery Timeline' is the timeline of First Contact and Enterprise due to all the temporal changes in them. The original Kelvin Timeline is something we don't know for sure, but it would be extremely close to the Prime Universe of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager except for a few changes like Cardassians or Romulans being part of the Federation.
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    I just saw, Star Trek Beyond it was Awsome! Would like to see the Yorktown Starbase in game. Would not mind seeing this race being added into the game.
    I think this race however was a reference to Aliens and Species with the name Syl. But I found the race to be cool anyways.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Syl's_head_open.jpg
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Syl.png

Would not mind seeing the race Jaylah was in the movie. She was an awesome character.

It would be difficult to get the Yorktown starbase in game and do it justice.

I also would like to see Jaylah's race in game. Or at least add something like her markings to the aliengen CC You can probably fake it with the current stuff, but I haven't tried.

Personally, I think with another Kelvinverse movie in the work and the opportunity for them to lockbox another version of the connie for us, there's a good opportunity for them to go back to the negotiating table and try and get a tie-in promo going, but I agree with others that a Discovery, Enterprise, or TNG themed expansion is much more likely in the short term. I mean, after the twitter thread with Anthony Rapp, I'm sure the writers IMMEDIATELY started trying to think of a way to use him in a FE or something, but I'm sure it's also hard for the game writers to do much with the era for fear of writing in a conflict with the upcoming season(s?) of Disco.

Personally, I'd like to just see more TNG stuff worked in. I'm a little weary of time travel plots. I know it's one of Trek's things, and that's cool, I'd just like a bit of a break from it before we go back to hanging out with Archer or Stamets.
  • Options
    themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I should have said this before (since it would actually have been on-topic), but one thing I like about the KT idea is the idea to expand the galaxy without expanding an existing sector map. That's pretty nice; I always liked the 23rd century map, even if it is short-lived. This could work for the mirror universe too, of course, and since I agree that a Discovery expansion is (sadly) more likely than anything else, and Discovery created a lot of material for its version of the mirror universe... well, there you are.
  • Options
    richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    As this is a CBS licenced game and a new season of DSC is coming out next year it's much more likely we'll be getting more Discovery content instead.

The Paramount licencing makes the Kelvin stuff tricky unfortunately.
    "As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    A JJ expansion could be interesting but IMO there's not enough source material to go on. Nowhere near enough. Plus the licensing issue that others have pointed out.

Besides, we already have the only good thing that ever came from the JJ films. The Vengeance.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    khan1000khan1000 Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    giphy.gif
    Fear the Dominion
  • Options
    richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    No, I don't think so.

JJTrek and and JJDiscoverfail aren't even a canon. There just a failed reboot trying to re-write a successful franchise in it's own distorted and creepy way.

The only reason why it's polluting the game is because the dev's just don't understand or don't want to know what real Star Trek is.

Bless them. =3

lol, it's funny that you think you can dictate what is and isn't canon to the people who have the franchise licence :D

"As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    lol I haven't even finished the episodes from this expansion and we're already discussing the next one?

Well, ok then. I prefer exploring Andromeda, or maybe an expansion that focusses on Federation, Klingon and Romulan territory. That could be used as a reason to revamp Andoria and Vulcan, finish and expand New Romulus by adding several maps for each planets and maybe some other worlds.

There's enough to explore in our own timeline and even in our own backyard. I don't really see the need to move to other timelines or other dimensions.

Last time we did that, during the episode where we destroy the Sphere Builders' main sphere, the main conclusion was that nothing we actually do, matters. Yes, we saved our own universe but we also learned that 'we' had failed in tens of thousands of other entire universes (universes, so not just solar systems or galaxies, but universes which consist of billions galaxies, each of them containing billions of species, hundreds of trillions of individuals, each with their own stellar empires and so on).

I like to think that what we do in the game, makes a difference for the in-game universe. An expansion should thus be centered around our own Galaxy, perhaps even around our own territory for a change and it should definitely deal with our own timeline and dimension. In my opinion.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    If this happens I will make the Kelvin Timeline counterpart of my 23rd century Captain.
  • Options
    A JJ expansion could be interesting but IMO there's not enough source material to go on. Nowhere near enough. Plus the licensing issue that others have pointed out.

Besides, we already have the only good thing that ever came from the JJ films. The Vengeance.

That didn't stop Cryptic from creating a mission set in the Kelvin Universe. The only source material used seemed to be a character that never had much screen time and the ship.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User

The trick is that the split would have had to have happened well before the start of the first Kelvin movie since the technology is totally different from that of Prime even before the Narada showed up, probably sometime around the time of First Contact or earlier.
  • Options
    anyajenkinsanyajenkins Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    mushroom-drive-that-instantly-takes-you-anywhere-in-the-galaxy-never-heard-of-it.jpg
    coffee the finest organic suspension ever devised - Janeway
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    "Captain what should we do, the klingons are closing on us they'll be in weapons range in 10 seconds!"

"Don't worry lieutenant, activate... the MUSHROOM DRIVE."

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User

That didn't stop Cryptic from creating a mission set in the Kelvin Universe. The only source material used seemed to be a character that never had much screen time and the ship.

Said mission is MORE than enough of the Lens Flare Time Line. Lets enjoy the expansion we have in front of us and move on.

Cirran
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    I do agree over all a TNG focused expansion would be best, did we ever find out the fate of the enterprise E, if not maybe a story that starts with a mission lead by Admiral Riker to find it.
  • Options
    aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I can't believe the pro-KT people still don't realize it's nothing but a cash-grab that targets trekkies. It's overfilled with fan service, things that make even less sense in Trek lore than even the dumbest things to ever happen in real Star Trek, and the plot holes are so massive, there's more hole than actual decent movie content. I could go on all day about how insipid those movies really are, but depending on who you are, I'm either preaching to the choir, or someone who has earplugs in.

Either way, we have enough KT TRIBBLE in STO already; this game doesn't happen in that universe, and there's no need for it to happen here. And don't even get me started on the train wreck that is TRIBBLE. I'm all for good expansions to the universe, but the new stuff coming out for both Star Trek and Star Wars is, aside from Rogue One and Solo, just a bunch of flashy garbage.

/soapbox
  • Options
    camclcamcl Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I would love to see more Discovery stuff, tbh, especially with all the ship designs coming out of the show.
  • Options
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    I can't believe the pro-KT people still don't realize it's nothing but a cash-grab that targets trekkies. It's overfilled with fan service, things that make even less sense in Trek lore than even the dumbest things to ever happen in real Star Trek, and the plot holes are so massive, there's more hole than actual decent movie content. I could go on all day about how insipid those movies really are, but depending on who you are, I'm either preaching to the choir, or someone who has earplugs in.

Either way, we have enough KT **** in STO already; this game doesn't happen in that universe, and there's no need for it to happen here. And don't even get me started on the train wreck that is TRIBBLE. I'm all for good expansions to the universe, but the new stuff coming out for both Star Trek and Star Wars is, aside from Rogue One and Solo, just a bunch of flashy garbage.

/soapbox

No The Kelvin timeline isn't intended to be a "cash grab that targets trekies" it's more specificly a "Cash grab that admits if you just target trekkies you're not gonna make the big money" sure it's got all kinds of l;ittle referances but over all the trek movies are aimed at a wider audiance. (now a "cash grab aimed at trekies" could be perhaps applies to DISCOVERY)

• Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    Would not mind seeing them add Jaylahs outfit and hair style into the game.
  • Options
    (now a "cash grab aimed at trekies" could be perhaps applies to DISCOVERY)

[sarcasm]Changing Klingons until they are completely unrecognizable is a cash grab aimed at trekkies.[/sarcasm]

Discovery could have easily been set 10 years after Nemesis or in the early 25th Century with just a few minor changes.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Well, ok then. I prefer exploring Andromeda
    My face is too tired and the Kett arent convincing as effective antagonists
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    [Mod Hat] Okay, can we NOT make this YET ANOTHER flame war about the relative merits of the Kelvin Timeline or DSC, please? (Or other franchises entirely for that matter?) Thank you. [/Mod Hat]
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    (now a "cash grab aimed at trekies" could be perhaps applies to DISCOVERY)

[sarcasm]Changing Klingons until they are completely unrecognizable is a cash grab aimed at trekkies.[/sarcasm]

Discovery could have easily been set 10 years after Nemesis or in the early 25th Century with just a few minor changes.

I was more thinking that the series was being used to sell the CBS all acess deal. which was clearly aimed at bringing in trek fans. Moving along though I don;'t object to discoery content being used like it or not it's been declared part of the prime timeline (or has that been retconned) . The Klingon changes mind you are best ignored in any discovery related content Cryptic may choose to do. but I'd not object to seeing new ships etc from discovery and perhaps even a time travel mission that explores it.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Before we start talking about next expansion, can we finish this one?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1