test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO launcher won't stop patching, have downloaded over 60GB so far

Comments

• kreyg#8047 kreyg Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    yuzhnata wrote: »
    I'm going to chime in that I'm also having this issue.

A full uninstall & reinstall, messing with every launcher option, restarting my computer several times all have no effect.
    The launcher will begin patching as normal and at some random percentage, the patched MB amount will stop and the received amount will just keep going indefinitely, downloading GB's of literally nothing. So far I've managed to get the patcher down to within 173MB of finishing, however each time it stops at 114/115MB and then bugs out into the infinite download loop.

Launcher Version: CL_2018_04_11_16_47
    Game Version: ST.85.20180314a.36

Below is a short .gif of what it does every single time.
    G4qm3un.gif

Also of note is that no other related games are giving me this issue. Champions Online for instance, patches itself fine.

This is happening to me now. I had to reinstall the game, so I started it and went AFK while it was downloading. It appears it's going through an infinite download loop. Lord knows how many times its gone through that loop. Now I'm wondering how much data of my monthly data its eaten up re-downloading 16gbs several times while I was AFK. That's just not cool. If I go over my data limit, it's not like Cryptic/PWE are gonna cover the overage costs. I cant remember the last time steam, or any other service downloaded the entire games worth of data over and over...because they've never done that.

I checked my log and I had this a lot

56 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg (retry 11, compressed)

Seems like there is no real fix/news to help with this either. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!!
  • oneunrivaledoneunrivaled Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Still having that launcher trouble here. I can play other ARC-related games just fine, but STO is the only one that's hung up. I'm trying to be patient and not get frustrated, but it's extremely disappointing. I did just as everyone else had; force verify, uninstall, reinstall etc...

Please, if anyone discovers or gets this resolved, post it here.
  • kreyg#8047 kreyg Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I am able to download Tribble just fine. No issues. Still stuck on the infinite download loop when I try to download Holodeck.
  • ryickryick Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I'm experiencing the same issue; I get to 87% complete in patching but then it never gets to 88% and it just keeps downloading infinitely.

I submitted a ticket but other than the confirmation email, I have not heard back.
  • xxspartanx505xxxxspartanx505xx Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I too am having the issue and have submitted a ticket.
  • maverickfighter#1311 maverickfighter Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Same issue here. Support has asked for on-demand patching, force verify, uninstall/full reintall, and now dxdiag. So far no luck.
  • engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by engineerb4#4806 on
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
  • jeremyrashanjeremyrashan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Any progress? I noticed this after "trying to be patient" and downloading 156 gb for a 132mb file.. Same issue as guy at top of the page.. shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg seems to be MISSING or CORRUPT from the server according to the error logs.. I tried manually downloading the file from the server and got file not found, but the error logs say the file is corrupt.

Just noticed engineerb4's message.. will wait till tomorrow
  • hawkeye1889#3049 hawkeye1889 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I'm so glad this issue isn't limited to me I put in a support ticket as well. I thought I was going crazy.
    I received a reply but have not yet had a chance to see if it works:

Activate On-Demand patching, load in safemode, and try Force Verify
    If that doesn't work, uninstall (including deleting game folder) and reinstall with Antivirus disabled.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    One of the STO Error logs show a CRC error upon decompressing a file, so Cryptic Installer re-downloads the same file, only to encounter the same CRC error over, and over, and over.

Either one or more patch file(s) itself is bad, or they are being corrupted during the file transfer download process.

This also happens on a fresh STO install attempt regardless of options enabled.

I do run other game managers like Origin and Battle.net -- not sure if they can interfere with Arc / Cryptic Installer.
  • engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by engineerb4#4806 on
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
    Is the STO patch utility using any sort of encryption during download? Some of Microsoft's security patches broke SSL cert validation at some of my work's DEV systems -- I'm wondering if something similar might be happening on STO's installer.

I'll try to post my STO error log contents once I get home.
  • rattleshark#0665 rattleshark Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I had an endless Launcher Update loop , i started task manager and ended process on everything "ARC" then restarted the game , the launcher started updating 41.5 MB , counted down and connected , before i ended process the launcher would count down from 41.5 MB , try to connect and fail then start over from 41.5.
    WIN7 64 , Chrome.

• stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I'm unsure exactly what time the new Launcher will be released today. Probably this evening.

If you can see errors in the STO logs could you please post them here? That could help greatly.

180526 05:40:27 716 [1]: ERROR: Checksum verification failed after download
    180526 06:02:22 8202 [1]: ERROR: HTTP patching problem (BadHttpResponse):

Most of the error logs just have the first line and the error number varies (39 & 63 for example).

Other logs too big to post so:

Packet log:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fjB8SNLKzzrrhUXPTQPFCZUq6ycRGeuBenourojQfew

PCL log:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17vrRjmLIwPjXGT3Yb35OAB5KEEKrdN_bCFcFVzILdmk

modifiedfiles.log:

180527 03:19:00 Connection from DownloadCrypticLauncher3ST
    180527 03:19:00 GET data/platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg

PatchTrivia.txt:
    Trivia PatchProject StartrekClient
    Trivia PatchServer patchserver.crypticstudios.com
    Trivia PatchRedirectServer 208.95.184.30
    Trivia PatchPort 7255
    Trivia HttpServer level3.stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com
    Trivia HttpPort 80
    Trivia HttpPrefix Startrek
    Trivia PatchName ST.85.20180314a.46
    Trivia PatchBranch 85
    Trivia PatchSandbox ST.85.20180314a.0
    Trivia PatchRevision 43351
    Trivia PatchTime 1527104266
    Trivia PatchTimeReadable "2018-05-23 12:37:46"
    Trivia PatchIncrementalRevision 42423
    Trivia PatchIncrementalFrom 1521036575
    Trivia PatchIncrementalFromReadable "2018-03-14 07:09:35"
    Trivia PatchCmdLine "-sync -project StartrekClient -server patchserver.crypticstudios.com -port 7255 -name ST.85.20180314a.46"
    Trivia CoreBranchMapping -2
    Trivia PatchBranchName "Season 14.5/14.5c"
    Trivia PatchExecutable "D:/Steam/steamapps/common/star trek online/Star Trek Online.exe"

debug.log:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B5_Q41TqAPSlCxEVvQLbTsGb_gaOos1hAz646DzDzN8
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I've just started having the issue a few minutes ago. I was playing STO for a few hours and exited the game. The launcher started up and began downloading the pre-patch for the expansion again. I had already downloaded that pre-patch a day or two ago.

The only line in the error log is the following -

"180601 03:36:33 114 [1]: ERROR: HTTP patching problem (BadHttpResponse):"

I haven't had this issue before this morning.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that, I'm not using Arc or Steam. I'm using the old standalone, pre-Arc installer.
  • stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that, I'm not using Arc or Steam. I'm using the old standalone, pre-Arc installer.

That's a good point. I'm using Steam for STO, though I have Arc installed. Last logged into STO about halfway back to the Winter event and during the Winter event.
    Most definitely did not fix, the launcher did update, still getting the same CRC error on GET data/platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg
    A new launcher build is going out tomorrow that we hope will address this issue. Please let us know if the issue persists after that build is released.

• Just downloaded 19 GB of 22 GB and failed to finalize platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg
  • mrfred7mrfred7 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Lifetime member here still having the same issue. I am just a wee bit preturbed. Damn near my hit my comcast data limit when I caught it.
  • sicariusssicariuss Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    im having the same issue launcher trys to update and times out tryed on multiple computers
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Declaration: I am ignorant. This is a faint speculation and probably has nothing to do with this topic.
    But just in case, and in ANY case, I hope you don't use old issued Symantec validation regarding your SSL certs or anything such. (meant the company/site, not the players.)

Anyhow on topic, my personal experience as a non knowledgeable player here.
    There seems to be a prepatch for me, (allegedly for ViL) on game close. Up to now, fine. But when the game closes after the prepatch was already completed before, it sometimes tries patching "seemingly indefinitely" too ("eternal" prepatching). I didn't encounter a problem in game/non pre-patching itself in this regard, though - being able to login -albeit slowly, and able to patch after maintenance etc, I mean. (beside the known issue regarding on demand patching which couldn't be turned off anymore, and some minor temporary connectivity issues while client tries to update itself sometimes on startup.)
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
    I'm gonna say nope.
    I'm not running anything with this specific pc (in regards to AV).
    And all of the .hogg files are just fine. This ones says there's a CRC checksum error after download. And if you try to manually load it from the website it straight says file not found..
  • kvas#2250 kvas Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Anyone manage to fix it? It is a bit of a joke tbh...
  • Nope I have given up trying to download anything more until someone else says its fixed.
  • sweetbearcubsweetbearcub Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I'm having a similar problem on my PC. Haven't played the game in a long while. Needed to install it, as current install doesn't have it. I downloaded it from Steam earlier this evening, and on the first run, it of course wanted to patch up.

It keeps going to about 26 GB downloaded (of 22 GB, lol?), then back to 14 GB total downloaded, and looping between those values. It pegged my connection hard, downloading at maximum speed, and eating up my data allotment, with no warnings, until I stopped it. (My connection maxes out around 18 Mbps)

https://i.imgur.com/NOJLHrR.png

I canceled the patch and closed the launcher, and went looking for some log files. In "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\.patch" I found a file called "modifiedFiles.log" that seems to have some relevant information. The last several lines of the file are:

180604 02:42:39 GET data/platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheNvidiaSm40.hogg XFERS_FULL
    180604 02:42:39 GET data/platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheNvidiaSm40.hogg
    180604 02:42:39 GET data/platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg XFERS_FULL
    180604 02:43:29 GET data/platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg
    180604 02:43:29 GET data/animation_library/Sto_Cat_Small/Sto_Cat_Small_Idle_Sit_Break_03.atrk XFERS_FULL

Also, in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online" I found a file called "ERRORS_2018-06-04_00-00-00.log". It had only two lines in it.

180604 00:53:45 1193 [1]: ERROR: Checksum verification failed after download
    180604 00:56:15 2480 [1]: ERROR: HTTP patching problem (BadHttpResponse):
    Post edited by sweetbearcub on
  • jac2001us1jac2001us1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Have two computers in my house currently my main one is less than 3 months old running windows 10, 64bit all the latest goodies on board... stalled patch.... same issue that is echoing through this thread, get to 115mb of 132mb and continues receiving data have tried all the things suggested and had no fix as yet... thought I'll try it on my older system which is about 5-6 years old still running windows 10.. this computer has run sto in the past with no problems and I got the same issue, yet I can run sto fine on ps4 and xbox one loads up every time I guessing there patches are slightly behind so i've probably got another week or so before it gets patched and becomes unplayable eh??
    ryick wrote: »
    I received a reply but have not yet had a chance to see if it works:

Activate On-Demand patching, load in safemode, and try Force Verify
    If that doesn't work, uninstall (including deleting game folder) and reinstall with Antivirus disabled.

So I tried this a couple times over the weekend and I'm still stuck in the infinite download loop. Maybe my Lifetime Membership isn't worth what I paid for.
    edited June 2018
    Any new updates on this? My lifetime account is worthless if I can't play the game on the same PC that previously ran STO flawlessly.
  • themagicgiraffethemagicgiraffe Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same thing has been happening to me since the 24th of last month. I've tried everything and nothing is working.