test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO launcher won't stop patching, have downloaded over 60GB so far

doctornexdoctornex Member Posts: 30 Arc User
edited April 2018 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Launcher keeps downloading 11GB+ then resetting, then downloading 11GB+ again, then resetting. I've personally seen it go through this cycle 6 times already and likely it's happened far more, as the launcher has been on since this morning. I've probably already exceeded my Comcast 1TB monthly cap. I've quit and restarted the launcher several times to no avail. I've disabled on-demand patching to no avail. I really don't know what to do.

https://imgur.com/a/62fIaJI
https://imgur.com/a/BWFXGpo
https://imgur.com/a/3IopwZJ

Comments

• doctornexdoctornex Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    A couple rounds later. https://imgur.com/a/Mshhyzz
  • engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you for the report.
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
  • tvmadoctvmadoc Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I had this happen, but didn't catch it until Comcast notified me that I was over their cable modem download limits. 620 GB and a $200 total overage.
    I had walked off to let the update complete, helped my son with his homework, then forgot to check if it was done. It apparently ran FULL speed for at least a day.
    Now I KNOW that I'm not the only one that got affected by this!
    edited April 2018
    image removed...found personal info in screenshot.
    STO Software Engineer
    Someone posted in my thread about getting hit with overages for 500gb of data from this patch. IT's going to be a LOT more widespread than we think.
  • nuclearwesslenuclearwessle Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    Indeed. That was me. It actually shook out to 618 GB of data, and the patch never actually completed. So Im also stuck not being able to play the game, while not being able to patch this game (or any other for that matter because I'm out of data) for the last week and change.
    Same here. Stalled at 48% and no longer have the trust to open the launcher again to retry. Response from PWI was essentially "We aren't responsible for your data use". No fix promised, no promise that they'll try to assure it doesn't happen again, no offer for even in game items to offset a $200 overage due to their patch.

Play the game at your own risk, watch the patcher and disable background downloads if you have limited data.
    PWI support won't promise to fix the issue, won't reimburse the loss, won't offer any sort of in game reimbursement and won't make any sort of guarantee to fix the patcher so that it will "time out" if a certain data limit is hit.

With a limited plan (not my choice and I can't afford an additional $50 a month just as insurance for PWI's incompetence), I can't risk playing this game-or any PWI game-again. I would suggest that anyone who runs across this post watch their patches VERY closely.

To any fleet mates, live long and prosper.
  • dubd3v0dubd3v0 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I got the warning from comcast too. I never get close to my 1tb limit. Its a shame. Its pretty ridiculous that this is even an issue. The launcher should not be as buggy as it is. Im a returning player and remember the game having some bugs here and there but this is terrible. There must be a fix.
  • wrexnormandywrexnormandy Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Was trying to login for the first time in a while. Wanted to grab a delta recruit and buy the gamma pack. I figured maybe a couple gigs and let it run. I've tried everything short of uninstalling to fix. Can't do that now because of the amount of data I wasted. Sad thing is this probably won't get fixed and no reparations will be made of even apologies.
    > @engineerb4#4806 said:
    > I've passed along a request to have this investigated.

Do you guys have any advice? Was thinking of patching the game tonight. Is there anything we can do in the settings to make sure data is only downloaded once?
  • nuclearwesslenuclearwessle Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    So far the following has not worked for me:
    -disable/enable on demand patching
    -force verify
    -creating firewall/av exceptions
    - disabling antivirus entirely
    -complete reinstall
    - swearing at the computer in English and Italian.

I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe someone can corroborate trying these things as well?
    dubd3v0 wrote: »
    > @engineerb4#4806 said:
    > I've passed along a request to have this investigated.

Do you guys have any advice? Was thinking of patching the game tonight. Is there anything we can do in the settings to make sure data is only downloaded once?

Patch at your own risk. My "final solution" was for PWI to determine "Once again, while we understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience, we have no control over your internet provider pricing or usage that would accrue these additional charges. Though, again we apologize, there is nothing we can do for you in this instance."

Apparently they have "no control" over their code bugging. I was asking for assurance that there was coding put in place to stop a "run away" patch, etc. The company won't guarantee anything, so the bug WILL happen again, at least to someone.

They just don't care.
    I patched yesterday without issue. But depending on the circumstance I can see this happening again. So dumb that we have to put up with this.
    edited May 2018
    Post edited by engineerb4#4806 on
    STO Software Engineer
  • yuzhnatayuzhnata Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I'm going to chime in that I'm also having this issue.

A full uninstall & reinstall, messing with every launcher option, restarting my computer several times all have no effect.
    The launcher will begin patching as normal and at some random percentage, the patched MB amount will stop and the received amount will just keep going indefinitely, downloading GB's of literally nothing. So far I've managed to get the patcher down to within 173MB of finishing, however each time it stops at 114/115MB and then bugs out into the infinite download loop.

Launcher Version: CL_2018_04_11_16_47
    Game Version: ST.85.20180314a.36

Below is a short .gif of what it does every single time.
    G4qm3un.gif

Also of note is that no other related games are giving me this issue. Champions Online for instance, patches itself fine.
  • alarah#5444 alarah Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Same thing here, even tried force verify and running the patcher as administrator. On Windows 10 if that helps
  • oneunrivaledoneunrivaled Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I'd like to know if this issue has been resolved for anyone and what steps were taken for solving this problem. I'm going on one month without playing the PC version of STO. My launcher Patches up to 87% of 132mb, which is roughly 115% but continues to receive data after 132mb.
  • djmasadjmasa Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    This issue is definitely not resolved. I'm having the issue right now... I've let this thing go for a couple of DAYS now and it still can't patch it. Support advised me to delete the piggs directory and let it download all over again. That's what I've done. It still stalls during the download and continues downloading forever. I guess I won't be playing STO anytime soon. This is disheartening.

Has someone out there defeated this particular issue and have tips to get around it? I've done everything support has recommended:

Restart. Make sure I have the latest windows updates. Uninstall. Reinstall. Turn off Antivirus/Firewalls. Nothing works.
    It only happened to me after the last big patch. I have had no issues with the launcher. The only thing I changed was switching to the 32bit launcher due to constant crashes. But I'm thinking this probably isn't related to the patch error.
  • stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    Also completely stuck here, restarted, reinstalled, turned off on-demand patching, force verified.

Heard from a friend that they let it run all night but I don't think they checked their data limits yet, could be in for a shock.

*Some* piece of user-related information that isn't stored in the installation itself is the key, in all likelihood, from the pattern of reports.
    I'm going to try hiding my launcher log in spoiler tags, for Engineer or someone. The following error showed up a lot:

648 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg (retry 101, compressed)

I'm going to see if I can do something with that.

(snip) I can't post the log, it's too big. Someone let me know if there is some specific item I should look for.
    Nope, okay, forget it. Maybe I'll check back after support deals with the usual new release tragedies.

From the other section, it appears the error is common between characters but the file is different.
    I'm experiencing the same thing as stupidconversion but i'm also seeing a lot of these errors:

PatchClientLib Warning: HTTP patching failed for <insert file here>: too many retries on HTTP xfer
    PatchClientLib: HTTP patching disconnected from level3.stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80 after 0 completed responses (localport=49957): socket was shutdown:linkQueueRemove(10054:Connection reset by remote host)
    ERROR: HTTP patching problem (BadHttpResponse):
    Line: C:\src\libs\PatchClientLib\patchxferhttp.c(162)
    Details: (data/bin/geobin/cl/A/F/F_Helmet+hood_Vulcan_01.mset) code 404 reason Not Found

It's hard to believe it's just me, since others are experiencing the same issue. I have a support case open where they've asked if I have a proxy running (i'm not), disabled antivirus, ran chkdsk to check for disk problems, etc. I even tried to install this on another machine (an ASUS ROG Laptop) on another connection that hasn't had STO installed on it before. The exact same thing is happening. I think something's goofed up in their patching network, to be honest.
    I was kind of hoping it'd be fixed for memorial day weekend so I could play, but I guess not. :(
    edited May 2018
    A little more specific *behavior* that occurs: whether you're downloading the full 22Gb or an apparently random update amount (132Mb, 3Gb, 13Gb, whatever), the percentage counter increases (and the installed amount) up to some point then stops, but the downloaded amount continues to increment indefinitely. The last two attempted 132Mb updates stoppeed at 87% and 86% respectively, so it's probably not just caught on the same step or file.

Good luck to you djmasa. Personally I've never had a response to a support ticket, as far back as 2011.
    A little more specific *behavior* that occurs: whether you're downloading the full 22Gb or an apparently random update amount (132Mb, 3Gb, 13Gb, whatever), the percentage counter increases (and the installed amount) up to some point then stops, but the downloaded amount continues to increment indefinitely. The last two attempted 132Mb updates stoppeed at 87% and 86% respectively, so it's probably not just caught on the same step or file.

Good luck to you djmasa. Personally I've never had a response to a support ticket, as far back as 2011.

I've had several. It's in talks of supposedly being looked at by the developers now. I know some people that work at Cryptic/PWE also, though I don't really want to ask them about it unless I have no other choice to do so. They don't work in support, as far as I know, but the support agent I am dealing with I have personally met. I'm on the quest to get this figured out not only for me, but for the rest of the folks that may be experiencing this too. Let's keep our collective fingers crossed and see what happens. Definitely won't get figured out this weekend, though. I'm sure everyone has taken the time off and is probably out enjoying the long holiday weekend. I was also just hoping someone here might have seen or done something that might have corrected the issue.

Anyways, I'll update this thread as I learn more. If anyone else has input, please share.