test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Landing Page Feedback Thread

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Hey folks, we'll be making some changes to the landing page in an upcoming update - it was intended to only appear once per account, not once per character.

That's what I thought after reading all the rage about it popping up on every character change. Thank you for confirming that thought.

I haven't logged on today so I haven't seen it and I may wait until it's fixed to log in. Hopefully will still have time to run MI for the torpedo.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Hey folks, we'll be making some changes to the landing page in an upcoming update - it was intended to only appear once per account, not once per character.

Thank you for the information it's appreciated.

However how about asking the coders to do some proper testing before launching yet more bugged content. I know you have nothing to do with coding/game development ect ect so please don't take this personally as i'm not having a go at you, but Cryptic with proper testing would have avoided this bad gaming experience with said testing.

Also please ask them to add a disable this pop up for life button.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I haven't logged on today so I haven't seen it and I may wait until it's fixed to log in. Hopefully will still have time to run MI for the torpedo.

It really isn't that bad. If you're only logging in once to run the queue your experience will be no different from when this is working as intended (ie. once per account.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Much like the complaints with DR its a lot of nonsense & drama.

Agreed.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Ugh... ultimatums of "do x or I quit" now?
    >
    > Guys... seriously... it needs refinement, and its been said its not even working properly right now.
    >
    > *sigh* Why do I even bother. Resident voice of reason being drowned by a hurricane of rage the likes haven't been seen since Delta Rising... over a UI element.

Much like the complaints with DR its a lot of nonsense & drama.
    It’s not just drama it’s very poorly implanted and just a lazy design. If you look at how other games do it then you will see just how poor the STO version is even after it has been fixed.

I am not against the idea just how badly it’s been designed. Take a look at a really well designed version like The Division. That’s how it should be done not something you have to see multiple times a day even after the fix. Its just a flat out poor and lazy design. EDIT I am not saying use the Division style, more the way it functions.

If you are a new player and the first thing you see is this poorly designed loading page it doesn't start you off with a good feel for the rest of the game.
  • athyinliveathyinlive Member Posts: 18 Arc User

stofr_11.png
  • anncariseanncarise Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Once per account is pretty sensible. Once every time you load in to your character definitely gets a little annoying for people who regularly go through multiple characters to do Admiralty/DOFFing/etc.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Poorly implemented or not, I wonder what the point of it is, besides making it easier to buy zen.

How often do people actually do any of the four things shown?
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • vexsteelfang#5149 vexsteelfang Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Worst thing ever put into the game, my viewers are complaining about it nonstop. Please remove it before you start losing customers, or an option to disable it if you're not new to the game.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    If you look at how other games do it then you will see just how poor the STO version is even after it has been fixed.

Um... so you know how it will be when it actually works? Are you from the future?
    Cryptic's using something similar over in Neverwinter. My guess is they're trying to do something similar over here, but as we've seen, and as confirmed by kael, its not WAI.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited May 2018
    lopequil wrote: »

You mean queues, episodes, and lock boxes? Quite often, as it turns out.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mengde74mengde74 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    fftt wrote: »
    Give 'em a break because they released bugged content? Really? It's that kind of attitude that, dare I say, promotes the future release of bugged content and allows continuing bugs to be unaddressed.

It's that kind of attitude that helps fix problems with the least blood shed in forum discourse. If you're at a point where you need to "give a dev a break" from anything one's laying in far too much emotion into simple feedback. It's tempting to try to leverage outrage for to establish a greater imperative but the facts can only be taken so far and pushing beyond them (ex. decrying a pop-up as a Third Impact level Armageddon) undermines whatever reasoned point one arrived at discussion with.

Give suggestions, be cognizant of limitations, and leave it at that.

Why should we give them the benefit of the doubt on this particular... "feature"? It adds NOTHING to the end-user experience; its not supposed to. Its entire purpose push merchandise on us. Its a popup ad.

If this were a buggy mission, or something that's actually designed, at least partly, to make the game more fun, or easier to navigate, then I would be willing to work with it. But that is not what this is. This is designed to be intrusive and distracting. That's not a bug, that's a 'feature'. Its yet another cynical cash-grab from a company that I know is full of people too smart to think this is a good idea.

The entire thing needs to be removed. Today.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User

Not queues and episodes, a queue and an episode. The same one for weeks on end.

And how often do people read the "What's new in Season X" page? Hardly ever, if at all.
    Q9BWcdD.png
    mengde74 wrote: »
    Why should we give them the benefit of the doubt on this particular... "feature"? It adds NOTHING to the end-user experience; its not supposed to. Its entire purpose push merchandise on us. Its a popup ad.

Um... so... Romulan Mine Field is only playable if you pay Zen?
    From what I was able to see... this is supposed to be a platform for showcasing current news. Such as what's new with the current season, upcoming events, and yes, maybe even what's on sale in the C-Store. Hell... they could also do Foundry Spotlight through this as well!

You're literally only looking at one aspect and not the big picture.

The purpose seems to be to give players more information. That's it.
    edited May 2018
    songjuicer wrote: »
    Please remove it before you start losing customers.

Not happening, splash pages are in most contemporary online games and until now I've never seen anyone in any community give so much as a second though to them. In Tera for example the launch page works exactly like it does now in STO. How much do you think that community cares? They don't, it's just how the game's always worked and one click on any balance is incredibly minor thing to pay any attention to if attention to it has not been called.

We know fixes are incoming though to address the confirmed bug of the pop-up happening with every character log-in. Sit tight, the worst will be resolved soon.
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Ugh... ultimatums of "do x or I quit" now?

Guys... seriously... it needs refinement, and its been said its not even working properly right now.

*sigh* Why do I even bother. Resident voice of reason being drowned by a hurricane of rage the likes haven't been seen since Delta Rising... over a UI element.

Well, to be fair Rattler, sometimes this community can be a bit.... what would the world be?

Its bugged presently, and they are working on it. But looking at some of the comments, some people think cryptic just kicked a innocent puppy with a size 32 boot
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    Yes feedback is either place an option to disable this page as I have 28 characters to cycle through daily to refine dil, reset admiralty on or lose me as a customer as i'm not prepared to have this thing pop up in my face every time I switch characters and have to close it down.

I'll give you until next Thursday to code this into the game if I can tolerate it for a week.

50 toons. I feel your pain. Kill this with fire...
    Please just highlight the code for the Landing Page, press [Del], and then save the file. We'll all be a lot happier that way :)

Nope, not all. A landing page helps keep the general community up to date. There's alternatives but in one way or another they have less utility and reach. This is something STO could use. It simply needs refinement and (IMO) more content.

This is what the launcher is for. If they want to change the launcher to display more things, fine. But why do I have to look at it EVERY TIME I CHANGE CHARACTERS. There is no news since 3 minutes ago. Ya know how I know? Because the stupid thing just told me.

You wanna update me when I'm waiting for the game to patch? Fine, I have time then. But when I'm in the game I just wanna chill and kill stuff with lazorz, do my turnins, and chill. I don't want the game trying to push keys on me, or badgering me to run the latest bugged mission.

Nothing about this was necessary or useful, and it needs to be removed.
    edited May 2018

Not queues and episodes, a queue and an episode. The same one for weeks on end.

Then it rotates. Ergo, queues and episodes. It's a permanent feature advertising new additions to core areas of the game.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    foxman00 wrote: »

Well, to be fair Rattler, sometimes this community can be a bit.... what would the world be?

Its bugged presently, and they are working on it. But looking at some of the comments, some people think cryptic just kicked a innocent puppy with a size 32 boot

Yea... tell me about it.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Please provide an option to hide this, as well as restore the ordinary simple centered Escape menu for easy character switching.

This game encourages and mandates that one have at least 3 characters (3 Factions) to access all of its content, and highly encourages having many characters of different careers, specialty recruits, etc., to make the most of it.

I understand there's a need to inform others of special events, to buy stuff, or it's game over for everyone, but I feel it impedes the ability to enjoy and participate since having active players is equally important to those who fund the game with real cash.

This is because STO has plenty of loading screens, cut scenes, and a ton of mini-game clickies (Admiralty, Duty Officers, Reputation, Reclaim, Events, Fleet tabs, R&D, etc.) so that adding two extra steps per every character log-in (Close window, search for Esc menu options to left of screen) simply adds more clutter, and worse, gives the impression the game is no longer free to play but requires some gambling (keys, boxes) to even view your existing in-game character or ship.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    edited May 2018
    YBWyACJ.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Please provide an option to hide this, as well as restore the ordinary simple centered Escape menu for easy character switching.

This game encourages and mandates that one have at least 3 characters (3 Factions) to access all of its content, and highly encourages having many characters of different careers, specialty recruits, etc., to make the most of it.

I understand there's a need to inform others of special events, to buy stuff, or it's game over for everyone, but I feel it impedes the ability to enjoy and participate since having active players is equally important to those who fund the game with real cash.

This is because STO has plenty of loading screens, cut scenes, and a ton of mini-game clickies (Admiralty, Duty Officers, Reputation, Reclaim, Events, Fleet tabs, R&D, etc.) so that adding two extra steps per every character log-in (Close window, search for Esc menu options to left of screen) simply adds more clutter, and worse, gives the impression the game is no longer free to play but requires some gambling (keys, boxes) to even view your existing in-game character or ship.

I can at least give you easier character switching

/bind whateverkey gotocharacterselect
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

Was it meant to appear once per account every update? once per account every month, week or day?

Bare minimum this should be a once per day, so on first login it goes onto a 24hr cooldown. I would prefer to be able to disable it completely, but that is the compromise.

And I have to say, did you guys just not learn from the ship winning fly text fiasco? Seriously, this stuff has to stop...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

Then why do we need to advertise them?
    sunfrancks wrote: »

Bare minimum this should be a once per day, so on first login it goes onto a 24hr cooldown. I would prefer to be able to disable it completely, but that is the compromise.

Probably once per log in session, that's pretty standard for splash pages like this.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    natthaan wrote: »
    Please give us an option to disable or remove this from the game, it's very annoying to see this every time we log in

Yes, please! It wouldn't be so bad if it was only the first time you login when something was new, but definitely super annoying every single time I switch characters is enough to drive me away from the game until this annoyance is dealt with.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    I'm at work so haven't even tried it yet...but after reading the first two pages of this thread...I'm a little scared :D
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
    edited May 2018
    For folks just tuning in, here's a few points you may want to keep in mind for ongoing discussion.
    1. The current rate of once-per-character-login is a confirmed bug. A fix is incoming.
    2. Many people have asked for an opt-out button. It's a well established point of feedback from page 1.
    3. Context: splash pages like this aren't new to STO. Many active online games have them and some even set their pop-ups to once per character log-in. Even though it is bugged, what we have now in STO is not unheard of in MMO's. It's still annoying but context may help in dealing with frustration while we wait for the fix to be implemented (there are those who have survived the pop-upalocalypse.)