test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D Print Your Ships - Available Today!

Comments

• worgausworgaus Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    I have to admit I like the idea behind this and I understand why the price is so high, but that won't stop me from wishing it wasn't. I wouldn't mind seeing a photo thread from people that have the disposable income to afford it and actually got theirs done though.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I was really exicted about this but.....yeah.....
    350$+50$+92$ per ship, ain't gonna happen.
  • robodikrobodik Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    At first I kind of wanted a 3D printed Model of my Scimitar Warbird but the wow factor wore off after seeing the price and thinking more about it. $350 painted version and the Youtube videos showing the sample of the paint job makes looks a bit rough and home made. And it's like $25 or less worth of fragile resin to print that, the ship model will break to bits if it ever gets knocked off a table or shelf, even if it's a 3 to 4 foot drop!

I have a bunch of Eaglemoss Star Trek ships, XL size ones and the subscription sized ones, and special edition/shop exclusive ones too and even the most sturdy of die cast + ABS plastic could come apart if it hits carpet or hardwood floor even if you take extreme care not to knock or drop them- accidents can and will happen. Thankfully Gorilla Superglue makes the parts bond even better than before but still, it's pretty annoying when this kind of stuff happens.

These ships are like $75 for the XL ones and like $22-$24 for the smaller ones, $45 for medium size special editions stuff so when accidents happen it's not going to hurt that bad (at least I don't think ppl would lose sleep over) but imagine the pain a $350 fragile Resin ship you waited 6 Weeks for hits the floor or breaks in hand because you weren't careful when playing around with it (I'm sure all of you will fondle and play with your $350 or whatever ship in hand). You superglue that thing back together and say "%$$# I can still see the break line between the cracked paint! NOOooooo !"

I'm hoping the less personalized general model of ships like say a stock T6 Odyssey or T6/T5u Scimitar Warbird would be much cheaper but unless it's a streamlined low cost production line type setup I don't see sub $150 painted ships happening to be honest :neutral:

$350 is a lot of options, you can get a lot of fun Star Trek ship related goodies plus some wine/liquor/snacks/food and even Zen, the alternative cost is so varied. Even Eaglemoss says they are working on a Scimitar Warbird ship so that kind of kills it further for me... hmm for $350 couldn't there be some die cast metal content or ABS plastic reinforcement too to make the ship model sturdier and easier to repair in case it breaks etc? Or just for the sake of feeling like we are getting our money's worth?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i was expecting no more than 150$ at the most, with an average somewhere around 120$ - which is the rough figure the FIRST company cryptic tried this with gave for 12" models​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited March 2018
    Even at $150 expectations it still seems too much. Anyone remember the Bandai Star Trek model kits that came out back in the day? There was the Enterprise A Refit, Enterprise E and Voyager! Those kits were pre-painted extremely well and detailed, with LIGHTS and awesome base stand.

I bought the pre-painted kits back then for like $75-80 per kit, the details on those were extremely sharp, crisp and durable. Like you couldn't even scratch the color details off with your nails or if superglue fell on the finish it still wouldn't come off, good stuff :)

The pre-painted color finish and details (and light features) of the Bandai Star Trek kits look way better and superior to the 3D print website and youtube videos product samples.
    edited March 2018
    valoreah wrote: »

Yeah! I wish Bandai still produced that product line. Some of the New Kits on Ebay are significantly under $350 too so it's still a cheaper option (with lights).

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    About what I was expecting price wise...I guess, I was the only one. Not sure about a rather large art piece in the shape of a Star Trek Online ship, though.

I am not sure I can find a place it would fit...and away from the cats....where I can see all the details. But, gosh, I would love to get a B'rel.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    About what I expected actually. Probably be 2019 tax refund season before I try to get my Odyssey printed.

Might be more cost effective to hire a modeler, get a print from Shapeways and hire a painter locally. At least I would have size control of the finished model.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Yeah... Ill pass. Was really looking forward to this, but $350 is just way to much. Could commission my own artist 7 times+ to do fan art for that price. Over priced.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    When they said hand painted I figured the price would be up there, and at the size of 12 inchs i dont blame them. That said, $350 + shipping + insane % of tax - No dice bro. I could get a TOS Temporal Connie ingame for that kind of scratch something thats actually useable.

Throw in that these are supposed to be 'special launch prices' *laughs a bit* Im assuming they mean cheaper then it is going to be later on cause calling it special prices and them being MORE would hardly make that an attractive foot note. So later on Im going to assume these prices will go UP not DOWN ... makes me even less likely to ever get one.

I realize the amount of work cryptic put into getting this together, and that the cost is somewhat justified so dont get me wrong. Its just even if its justified the price point is way above what most people are remotely willing to throw at this. So while its neat, this is not close to being aimed at the average person this is aimed at the whales.

I would have liked to get my Galaxy with the DS9 Venture refit necells but at near $500 total.... *trys to stop laughing* Id have to be nuts. I think Ill just get a Eaglemoss Ent-D redo the registry number and name + add the bumps on necell and have spent under $100. The ship will be smaller but it will cost 1/5th the price. Sadly this wont work for everyone since cryptic is doing tons of ingame starship designs not just the Enterprise A-E ones.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    jcsww wrote: »
    i'd say it's fairly obvious why the vesta isn't available - they don't have permission to use it

remember, the design is owned by mark rademaker, not CBS or cryptic, so MD would have to go to him to get permission for it to be included as a printable option - and cryptic would probably need to modify their original contract with him too​​

Not surprising, but did they actually ask for permission? PWE tends to take the lazy way when it comes to doing things. I follow his Twitter and such and am a big fan of his work. Although I can't speak for him. I think PWE should at least approach him to see if he would be willing to permit his ship to be printed for those of us that are fans of his work.

We did, yes.
  • risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    I'm going to wait for some of the reviews on the higher end models before shelling out my hard-earned cash for a couple of the ships I want (thankfully, only one is on the 'Not Available' list) as the current price is too high.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    About what I was expecting price wise...I guess, I was the only one. Not sure about a rather large art piece in the shape of a Star Trek Online ship, though.

I am not sure I can find a place it would fit...and away from the cats....where I can see all the details. But, gosh, I would love to get a B'rel.
    Oh you weren't the only one who expected this price. On the company's website, IIRC, their painted 3D models start at $400.
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    Something I was wondering about: what's the estimated turnaround on the Collectible Version, from ordering to painting to receiving it in the mail?
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
    djxprime wrote: »
    Something I was wondering about: what's the estimated turnaround on the Collectible Version, from ordering to painting to receiving it in the mail?

Their website says something like 3-6 weeks AFTER they start the batch production so it's up in the air somewhere. I'm personally set on getting a decent Scimitar Warbird but if it ends up like 12 weeks or something stupid I may not even be playing STO at that time (another 1 to 2 year vacation from game) or would forget to post a review -shrug-
  • xuelxuel Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    $200 for base ship that's made using a 3d printer is not a bad price. Must think of the price of a 3d printer + the special plastic that's uses (not counting the maintain on such a printer). All that is going to run them $120-150 plus a little for the coat of primer per ship, then they got to make a profit.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Hmmmm. I'm on the fence if I should get one or not.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    $350? hah! i mean i can afford it easily but even so, for a plastic 12 inch ship? it's rather steep for my liking, and then there is the shipping costs across the atlantic, it will easily reach £300.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    i'd say it's fairly obvious why the vesta isn't available - they don't have permission to use it

remember, the design is owned by mark rademaker, not CBS or cryptic, so MD would have to go to him to get permission for it to be included as a printable option - and cryptic would probably need to modify their original contract with him too​​

Not surprising, but did they actually ask for permission? PWE tends to take the lazy way when it comes to doing things. I follow his Twitter and such and am a big fan of his work. Although I can't speak for him. I think PWE should at least approach him to see if he would be willing to permit his ship to be printed for those of us that are fans of his work.

We did, yes.

Good to know but also a bit disappointing. Maybe if fans pressure him enough, he will change his mind. I really want my Vesta! :D
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    robodik wrote: »
    Even at $150 expectations it still seems too much. Anyone remember the Bandai Star Trek model kits that came out back in the day? There was the Enterprise A Refit, Enterprise E and Voyager! Those kits were pre-painted extremely well and detailed, with LIGHTS and awesome base stand.

I bought the pre-painted kits back then for like $75-80 per kit, the details on those were extremely sharp, crisp and durable. Like you couldn't even scratch the color details off with your nails or if superglue fell on the finish it still wouldn't come off, good stuff :)

The pre-painted color finish and details (and light features) of the Bandai Star Trek kits look way better and superior to the 3D print website and youtube videos product samples.
    These aren't mass-produced though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

We did, yes.

Are you sure? This Tweet from Mr. Rademaker makes me honestly think otherwise. At the very least, please try again.
    edited March 2018

They probably should look into it because those mass produced Bandai Star Trek kits look a lot better, has lights, more durable ABS plastic and better quality than the current 3D printed ships being offered on the website. Could also lower the production costs and give more value for the dollar- like maybe lights for the warp nacelles/impulse/windows/etc for the $350 price they are asking. There's a pretty decent market out there for Star Trek ship collectibles since Eaglemoss and Diamond Select keeps selling out of various ship models... like how many miniature Enterprise E Sovereign Class ships do people freaking need, it's always sold out on their website by scalpers reselling that stuff on Ebay :(

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

They probably should look into it because those mass produced Bandai Star Trek kits look a lot better, has lights, more durable ABS plastic and better quality than the current 3D printed ships being offered on the website.

the nature of selling your exact ship means settingu up for mass producing pointless, the ship I was thinking about getting is a mix of kor and B'Rotlh class parts with I think one b'rel piece. which I betting few people fly any verson of, never mind my version. and that not even covering the paint job.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    nightken wrote: »

They probably should look into it because those mass produced Bandai Star Trek kits look a lot better, has lights, more durable ABS plastic and better quality than the current 3D printed ships being offered on the website.

the nature of selling your exact ship means settingu up for mass producing pointless, the ship I was thinking about getting is a mix of kor and B'Rotlh class parts with I think one b'rel piece. which I betting few people fly any verson of, never mind my version. and that not even covering the paint job.

For the personalized custom ships it's not possible for mass production anyway so I'm mainly interested in just getting the preset ship models like say a Scimitar/Dread warbirds or Odyssey. I can see the premium in the custom ships but for the other stuff I'm hoping the prices are much lower- they should definitely look towards mass producing the basic preset ship model classes.
  • megamanx82megamanx82 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I wonder if these people were drunk off there a** when they did the prices? Considering I found a 12" Sovereign model at a local hobby shop for just $10 CND... Painted as well. I felt at best that $50 would be acceptable, since there is next to no labor involved in the printing of the model itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    megamanx82 wrote: »
    I wonder if these people were drunk off there a** when they did the prices? Considering I found a 12" Sovereign model at a local hobby shop for just $10 CND... Painted as well. I felt at best that $50 would be acceptable, since there is next to no labor involved in the printing of the model itself.

Canadian Pesos aren't worth the plastic they are printed on! :P
This discussion has been closed.