Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    robodik wrote: »
    nightken wrote: »
    Even at $150 expectations it still seems too much. Anyone remember the Bandai Star Trek model kits that came out back in the day? There was the Enterprise A Refit, Enterprise E and Voyager! Those kits were pre-painted extremely well and detailed, with LIGHTS and awesome base stand.

I bought the pre-painted kits back then for like $75-80 per kit, the details on those were extremely sharp, crisp and durable. Like you couldn't even scratch the color details off with your nails or if superglue fell on the finish it still wouldn't come off, good stuff :)

The pre-painted color finish and details (and light features) of the Bandai Star Trek kits look way better and superior to the 3D print website and youtube videos product samples.
    These aren't mass-produced though.

They probably should look into it because those mass produced Bandai Star Trek kits look a lot better, has lights, more durable ABS plastic and better quality than the current 3D printed ships being offered on the website.

the nature of selling your exact ship means settingu up for mass producing pointless, the ship I was thinking about getting is a mix of kor and B'Rotlh class parts with I think one b'rel piece. which I betting few people fly any verson of, never mind my version. and that not even covering the paint job.

For the personalized custom ships it's not possible for mass production anyway so I'm mainly interested in just getting the preset ship models like say a Scimitar/Dread warbirds or Odyssey. I can see the premium in the custom ships but for the other stuff I'm hoping the prices are much lower- they should definitely look towards mass producing the basic preset ship model classes.

wild guess they don't think their are going to be enough sellls of that sort to justify the cost to set it up for that. see are the people talking about haw they can get X ship cheaper.

megamanx82 wrote: »
    I wonder if these people were drunk off there a** when they did the prices? Considering I found a 12" Sovereign model at a local hobby shop for just $10 CND... Painted as well. I felt at best that $50 would be acceptable, since there is next to no labor involved in the printing of the model itself.

edited never mind miss read the post. that what I get for readong the forum before bed

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    This is way, WAY over-priced. Forget about it.
    A 3D printed ship that takes, what, $25 worth of resin?

I would have said $100 U.S. was over-priced, but this is just ridiculous.

fugetaboutit
  • Options
    jcsww wrote: »
    I wonder if these people were drunk off there a** when they did the prices? Considering I found a 12" Sovereign model at a local hobby shop for just $10 CND... Painted as well. I felt at best that $50 would be acceptable, since there is next to no labor involved in the printing of the model itself.

Canadian Pesos aren't worth the plastic they are printed on! :P

The dollar difference is like 30%. Nice try though.
  • Options
    robodikrobodik Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Even at $150 expectations it still seems too much. Anyone remember the Bandai Star Trek model kits that came out back in the day? There was the Enterprise A Refit, Enterprise E and Voyager! Those kits were pre-painted extremely well and detailed, with LIGHTS and awesome base stand.

I bought the pre-painted kits back then for like $75-80 per kit, the details on those were extremely sharp, crisp and durable. Like you couldn't even scratch the color details off with your nails or if superglue fell on the finish it still wouldn't come off, good stuff :)

The pre-painted color finish and details (and light features) of the Bandai Star Trek kits look way better and superior to the 3D print website and youtube videos product samples.
    These aren't mass-produced though.

They probably should look into it because those mass produced Bandai Star Trek kits look a lot better, has lights, more durable ABS plastic and better quality than the current 3D printed ships being offered on the website.

the nature of selling your exact ship means settingu up for mass producing pointless, the ship I was thinking about getting is a mix of kor and B'Rotlh class parts with I think one b'rel piece. which I betting few people fly any verson of, never mind my version. and that not even covering the paint job.

For the personalized custom ships it's not possible for mass production anyway so I'm mainly interested in just getting the preset ship models like say a Scimitar/Dread warbirds or Odyssey. I can see the premium in the custom ships but for the other stuff I'm hoping the prices are much lower- they should definitely look towards mass producing the basic preset ship model classes.

wild guess they don't think their are going to be enough sellls of that sort to justify the cost to set it up for that. see are the people talking about haw they can get X ship cheaper.

edited never mind miss read the post. that what I get for readong the forum before bed

Yeah that was something I thought about too because I remember Arc/STO discussed the idea of 3D printed ships years ago but scrapped it. They probably didn't expect demand to be enough to break even with this product service. I definitely would like to see how the more intricate Rommy & KDF Warbirds will turn out in person and in hand, the pictures so far are mostly Federation Saucer/Secondary Hull type ships so I'm really curious how non-federation designs will turn out.

Like that Resin they are using better not crumble like bread for thin parts like nacelles/pylons/cannons/etc details.
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I have never had anything bad to day about this is just plain stupid
  • Options

You know, you can get awesome Star Trek toys made by Diamond Select, under $100 in most cases (a lot less if you purchase them direct from their website) and they're awesome, lighted. detailed toys. They also have audio. Of course, being toys they do have seams, but they are excellent quality.

I have videos of them on my Youtube channel:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=j3hIEROBk20

It's a lot of video with mucho yapping, but you can forward through it and see all the ships and other collectibles.

The prices they are asking for these resin models is out of the ballpark. There's no way in hell I would pay those prices.
  • Options
    robodikrobodik Member Posts: 19 Arc User

You know, you can get awesome Star Trek toys made by Diamond Select, under $100 in most cases (a lot less if you purchase them direct from their website) and they're awesome, lighted. detailed toys. They also have audio. Of course, being toys they do have seams, but they are excellent quality.

It's a lot of video with mucho yapping, but you can forward through it and see all the ships and other collectibles.

The prices they are asking for these resin models is out of the ballpark. There's no way in hell I would pay those prices.

Diamond Select is awesome! I have their KDF Bird of Prey and Enterprise D 3rd Nacelle ships and had plenty of fun with them. Even did some light weathering details with a brush and charcoal colored paint on the Bird of Prey- great detail and quality stuff :D

If Diamond Select releases a Light & Sound Scimitar Warbird or Valdore/Mogai ships I would be so over them in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User

Diamond Select is awesome! I have their KDF Bird of Prey and Enterprise D 3rd Nacelle ships and had plenty of fun with them. Even did some light weathering details with a brush and charcoal colored paint on the Bird of Prey- great detail and quality stuff :D

If Diamond Select releases a Light & Sound Scimitar Warbird or Valdore/Mogai ships I would be so over them in a heartbeat.

I have the Diamond Select Galaxy X as well. Very nice toy and well worth every penny!
  • Options
    ncc42662ncc42662 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    why do you have to hurt me cryptic, at 350$ I'ld be lucky to get it at tax time and I would not be able to get anything else. and before anyone says you can get the cheap one, thats not cheap, and I'm a produce clerk not a painter.

lol, you forgot the "Damnit Jim!" part
    "The Prime Directive is merely a guideline to help make the right choice" -Vn'dor Phail, Capt
    :: sneezes :: Why is it no-one dusts the bridge on Starfleet vessels?" -Emsil Marat, Glinn
    "We can not interfere in the progression of one's life" -Richard Lynch, LtCdr
  • Options
    ncc42662ncc42662 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    djxprime wrote: »
    Something I was wondering about: what's the estimated turnaround on the Collectible Version, from ordering to painting to receiving it in the mail?

I have an answer to your question (yes, I am one who forked out the $350 for the collectable version). I ordered it about three hours ago and the website told me they would start production on my model Wed Mar 21 with a 3-6 week wait to receive finished product.
    "The Prime Directive is merely a guideline to help make the right choice" -Vn'dor Phail, Capt
    :: sneezes :: Why is it no-one dusts the bridge on Starfleet vessels?" -Emsil Marat, Glinn
    "We can not interfere in the progression of one's life" -Richard Lynch, LtCdr
  • Options
    xxkrazyravenxxxxkrazyravenxx Member Posts: 1 New User
    Even the cheapest one is so high that I would literally carve one from a single block of foam and coat it in body filler and then carve the details myself. No way would I spend that kind of money for a 3-D printed anything. I might have considered one or two for my office if the primer ones had been like $45 and the finished ones around $100 (labor is the most expensive part of the finished ones). I was afraid to get my hopes up and I'm glad I didn't let them rise too much. First day pricing means I won't even be looking at the sales that are sure to come in the near future.
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    On the other hand, it's a great way to make an LTS seem inexpensive, by comparison... :*
  • Options
    cptmassive1cptmassive1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Maybe I missed it but there are different types of resin, too. Did they specify? Lets say I was going to shell out the over $400 it would turn out to be for one of these. I want WAY more specifics.

That is, if I didn't have access to 12 different 3D printers at my workplace and at least a dozen students who might tackle the design should I want one printed.

I mean, *imagine* printing, with copyright and all, heh.

Just like I would *imagine* paying this much for a model (and I'm a guy who shelled out for professional hand-painted fleet captains sets, some of the attack wing models, etc.).

On second thought, no, nope. Nope.

Just nope.

Although on the bright side, they AREN'T charging you dilithium and completing designs through the RNG.

There's...that...uh, I guess.

Is anyone really surprised at the pricing? I can hear the artist now. "Um, I'm like ONE GUY so you better price these so they sell like, 17 of them at most."

Objective achieved.
  • Options
    captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    So having actually used FormLabs Form2 (see GamePrint's FAQ section on these for MSDS sheets) printers and materials before (saw materials document posted earlier and was browsing through it), these printers do produce at a very high quality at the expense of the resin being $149USD/L, according to the manufacture's webpage for their non-dental resins and a few others. The price on this is why I'm going to assume we probably won't see anything over 12" in a single dimension until resin price drops, and if the same printers are used that I have access to are the ones used, the print bed on them is a 12"x12" surface area, which would be the primary limiting factor on maximum size.

Now, without knowing the volumetric space of the model and assuming just FormLabs Form2 resin is used, as a rough guestimsted, as I don't have exact numbers, let's say one model comes in a 0.75 liters. That would put the base cost at about $110 (not exact here, just rough numbers) per model. With about a 40% or so mark-up, I would figure that would put the base cost for the unfinished at around $150 for the base model.

Now, not knowing the combination of resins used with everything, I don't know how that would effect price, but from what I'm initially seeing, the bulk of the cost in the unfinished models comes from the sheer fact that the resin being used is currently $149USD/L before shipping and tax.

Tl;dr:
    The only way these things are gonna get cheaper will be if the resin price drops or if a cheaper subsitute or lower quality materials are used.
    Post edited by captan2er0 on
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Umm, yeah... At those prices, I’ll just keep my MicroMachine D-7 sitting on my desk.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User

Yup, that's the company Cryptic needs to partner with to crank out the 'primary' ships of STO. Let the less desired ships go to the 1-off 3-D printer guys.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    To call these overpriced would be the understatement of the year.
    Some of Cryptic's own ship designs are good but not THAT good!
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    I was expecting a price of around 50 USD for the model, including the paint/texture map.
    Laika movie studio invented a new kind of 3D printing a while ago, where the texture map was part of the printing process and the models came out already painted when they were printed.
    Which would have made this process a lot more efficient, if the game could read the texture map and add them to the printing procedure.

I had been considering ordering some ship models, but after seeing the price, I decided it was too costly.
    My initial estimate was to print off 3 ships, so you can see how costly that would be if I decided to do it.

I gave this information to a gamer who didn't play STO and they said that they'd spend that money on buying themselves a 3D printer for personal use rather then pay Cryptic for a once-off model.

And when you consider I am Australian, that increases the price even more.
    200 USD=257 AUD.
    225 USD=289 AUD.
    350 USD=449 AUD.

I think this is just revenue raising, one single model that costs nearly as much or more as a lifetime subscription?

That's why I'd just go out and buy a much cheaper model from another Trek merchandise manufacturer!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    stormwaltz2stormwaltz2 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    I was really excited about this, but... I fly Vestas.

No ships for me. :(
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    Being able to do this intrigues me. However, at cost more than a Lifetime sub for the game is simply too steep. I shall wait for the dust to settle once any initial popularity from our community levels out. Maybe in six months Cryptic will negotiate a Flash Sale. It could happen.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    ent0c0ent0c0 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I'm sorry, but your Models are barely worthy $50-$100, $200-$350 is simply unacceptable ( google CHEAP homemade 3D printers)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

If you want a standard canon ship model, of course, buy one of the mass-produced toys, models or model kits.

But no one is else going to put out a Constitution variant with an Exeter Saucer, the Refit Nacelle, the TOS deflector and Pylons, and the Exeter Nacelles ever. Or a Vor'Cha with Vor'kang "saucer" and the Tor'Khat impulse engines.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I'd be more interested in a 6 inch player character model than a starship model. even if the price is $150-$175 it would be a lot more tempting than holding the player base hostage to $350 and special design parts on a ship not found in mass produced kits if they wanted one.

as it stands i can buy an excelsior and miranda model for just around £40 on ebay, my interests don't actually venture into Cryptic owned designs, but rather the canon designs. As i mentioned previously £250 for a 12 inch plastic ship is a bit much.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    I don't know if this is possible, but what if they used this feature in a different way?
    Say, generate a 3D model that can be saved to your computer and printed with your own personal 3D Printer.
    Or taken to a printing business who specialises in 3D model printing jobs?

And yes, a character model would also be another valid use of this function.
    Provided the costs go down that is........

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    I don't know if this is possible, but what if they used this feature in a different way?
    Say, generate a 3D model that can be saved to your computer and printed with your own personal 3D Printer.
    Or taken to a printing business who specialises in 3D model printing jobs?

And yes, a character model would also be another valid use of this function.
    Provided the costs go down that is........

I've always wanted player character models printed for my main on STO and on SWTOR. The trouble is that i try to call on a local printer and artist, that will make them as much as me all but guilty of copying property of Cryptic, since the account you rent and everything on it is owned by Cryptic.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ulfgarionulfgarion Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Could we get a 3d export, too? I mean, you obviously send a volume model or some kind of STL file for the print.
    For 350$ I could get a Reprap and print all files for a reprap+, use the electric from the former small reprap and print my ships with 1m and more. Would be a better option.

It takes a few days, but it won't be the only job :)

Just for the fun of it:
    3D print of the millennium falcon
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I was really excited about this, but... I fly Vestas.

No ships for me. :(

Maybe there will be at some point. @ambassadorkael#6946 or someone at PWE could actually try asking Mr. Rademaker instead of just saying they did, might actually help in getting the Vesta included.
  • Options
    captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    > @tilarta said:
    > I don't know if this is possible, but what if they used this feature in a different way?
    > Say, generate a 3D model that can be saved to your computer and printed with your own personal 3D Printer.
    > Or taken to a printing business who specialises in 3D model printing jobs?
    >
    > And yes, a character model would also be another valid use of this function.
    > Provided the costs go down that is........

If they allowed for the models to be directly saved, I'd honestly say expect there to be a download fee or purchase price that is common with professionally created 3D models. If they did that, I'd ballpark the models running around $50.

As for costs getting cheaper, I honestly don't see that happening unless the materials listed in MSDS on the page FAQ get cheaper or cheaper, lower quality materials are used.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
This discussion has been closed.