test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Martok's line in the latest FE

Where he tells my character that they "fight like a Klingon" has had me paranoid he's a victim of choH'a' ever since.
:P

Comments

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Where he tells my character that they "fight like a Klingon" has had me paranoid he's a victim of choH'a' ever since.

Yeah, there's a lot of lines like that in the game. My personal favorite was "A Step Between Stars" when Koren started talking about 'you'll see what happens when a Klingon gets angry' to my Fed-Klingon. I was like "What, are you implying that I'm not a real Klingon or something?"

Or all the times anyone in First City (especially J'mpok) talks about my KDF characters' House when they're an Orion or a Gorn or such...

Really do think that dialogue in the game needs to pay more attention to species/race rather than just faction, y'know?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, there's a lot of lines like that in the game. My personal favorite was "A Step Between Stars" when Koren started talking about 'you'll see what happens when a Klingon gets angry' to my Fed-Klingon. I was like "What, are you implying that I'm not a real Klingon or something?"
    Yeah, that's probably exactly what she was implying. Klingons can be dicks like that.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User

Or all the times anyone in First City (especially J'mpok) talks about my KDF characters' House when they're an Orion or a Gorn or such...

Really do think that dialogue in the game needs to pay more attention to species/race rather than just faction, y'know?

Aye, maybe, but having just watched the latest ep of DISCO, my character, as a Vulcan n' all....Made me wonder if I was J'pock's pawn all long. He, my character has made aa lot of Klingon friends lately....Queue flash backs of surgery and Klingon nips.
    ...Then I suggest avoiding Klingons supposedly defecting/taken as Prisoners-of-War reciting prayers about Kahless. And any Mirror counterparts you might have, for that matter. B)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Isn't Martok talking to Tzen-Warum, the Tzenkethi captain with that line? Maybe I'm misremembering, but doesn't he finish it with '... Now, wlll you die like one?'
    edited February 2018
    ...Then I suggest avoiding Klingons supposedly defecting/taken as Prisoners-of-War reciting prayers about Kahless. And any Mirror counterparts you might have, for that matter. B)

qeylIS wIquvmoHmeH

I mean "Most Logical"

My Crossfield has a brig full of Klingons...

hahaha

I wonder if the devs put that line "fighting like a Klingon" in as a nod..or not, it is very Martok-y as a line on its own.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's probably exactly what she was implying. Klingons can be dicks like that.

so can bajorans. Mariah and Snake want to find that docking control officer and eject her out of a docking airlock
    Spock.jpg

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    Isn't Martok talking to Tzen-Warum, the Tzenkethi captain with that line? Maybe I'm misremembering, but doesn't he finish it with '... Now, wlll you die like one?'

Correct.

Correct.

I assumed he was talking to me in that very Klingon way.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @tyler002 said:
    > turbomagnus wrote: »
    >
    > thecoffinfly wrote: »
    >
    > Where he tells my character that they "fight like a Klingon" has had me paranoid he's a victim of choH'a' ever since.
    > :P
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, there's a lot of lines like that in the game. My personal favorite was "A Step Between Stars" when Koren started talking about 'you'll see what happens when a Klingon gets angry' to my Fed-Klingon. I was like "What, are you implying that I'm not a real Klingon or something?"
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, that's probably exactly what she was implying. Klingons can be dicks like that.

Worf dealt with a lot of that, like being told off by Duras for coming into the council chambers in a "child's uniform".

Gowron said the same right before Worf challenged him.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    We have the same thing on the side of the Federation. I can't think of an example right now, but often NPC's seem to assume that you're familiar with Earth's history.

And there was another great example where Picard seemed to have forgotten that Worf was indeed a Klingon: when he asked whether Worf knew Gilbert and Sullivan.

Regardless of faction and species (Gorn, Saurian), the Voth also tend to call any Alliance member a 'mammal'.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    And there was another great example where Picard seemed to have forgotten that Worf was indeed a Klingon: when he asked whether Worf knew Gilbert and Sullivan.

Given Worf's history it is not as far fetched as the assumption that Gilbert and Sullivan will still be a household name at all in the 24th century.

I am also pretty sure the OP remark wasn't directed at us.

But I would agree that some cases could improve by having more appropriate dialog. It is done in some parts (e. g. the Octanti will recognize a liberated borg during the "Alliances" mission IIRC). The most obvious one is DS9's traffic controller still talking trash to the very KDF (or KDF aligned Romulan) officer that just saved their very backside by throwing out the occupation force. My personal favorite was during "Spin the Wheel" when I actually scored a dabo, but Leeta kept insisting that it wasn't really a dabo and she just pretended. (I guess that's what everybody refers to as "factory settings")
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The line of koren comes during the episode where you scan a room where she'd been strapped to a table and left behind traces of blood with klingon and ferasen DNA in it. Ever since I have wondered how much of a true klink she actually is.

Does she have a ball of wool hanging from the ceiling in her ready room?
    Well, she is accompanied by a Ferasan officer when she sets out to explore, and he is later rescued along with her.
    xyquarze wrote: »

Given Worf's history it is not as far fetched as the assumption that Gilbert and Sullivan will still be a household name at all in the 24th century.

That too indeed.

I am now reminded of Lorca's quote about John Lennon and Elon Musk. Sometimes the writers of Star Trek seem to forget it is all set hundreds of years into the future.

(And before anyone is going to claim that the Beatles will still be recognised in the 2240's or so: young people didn't even recognise McCartney because he was already 'hella old' in 2014 ;)http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/who-is-paul-mccartney )

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User

That too indeed.

I am now reminded of Lorca's quote about John Lennon and Elon Musk. Sometimes the writers of Star Trek seem to forget it is all set hundreds of years into the future.

(And before anyone is going to claim that the Beatles will still be recognised in the 2240's or so: young people didn't even recognise McCartney because he was already 'hella old' in 2014 ;)http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/who-is-paul-mccartney )

I think people like Mozart and Shakespeare still being well known hundreds of years after their deaths in the real world proves that a mere few hundred years isn't always long enough for things to vanish entirely.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User

That too indeed.

I think people like Mozart and Shakespeare still being well known hundreds of years after their deaths in the real world proves that a mere few hundred years isn't always long enough for things to vanish entirely.

Plus, I'm fairly sure Roy Orbison's work, given it was played at the first contact of Vulcans and Humans, probably got remembered in universe for that historical value.

---

Another bad example is "The Doomsday Device", where if you have a FED-Klingon, the game still makes you were a holoemitter, as opposed to just the uniform that is actually needed.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User

That too indeed.

On the other hand, there's a great line from one of Niven's Known Space stories (I think one of the Bey Schaeffer tales, from the 2600s, although I could be wrong) where a Pierson's puppeteer, whose species tends to whistle from both heads when nervous, is thinking something over. "He went off into Beethoven, or the Beatles, or something classical-sounding."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    The line of koren comes during the episode where you scan a room where she'd been strapped to a table and left behind traces of blood with klingon and ferasen DNA in it. Ever since I have wondered how much of a true klink she actually is.

Does she have a ball of wool hanging from the ceiling in her ready room?

No, that's "Sphere of Influence", the line I mentioned of Koren's is from "A Step Between Stars."
    jonsills wrote: »

That too indeed.

On the other hand, there's a great line from one of Niven's Known Space stories (I think one of the Bey Schaeffer tales, from the 2600s, although I could be wrong) where a Pierson's puppeteer, whose species tends to whistle from both heads when nervous, is thinking something over. "He went off into Beethoven, or the Beatles, or something classical-sounding."

That's like in David Weber's 'Honorverse' stories, where the people of planet Grayson's idea of "classical" music is country-western.

• ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager

So this line is actually directed at the Tzenkethi Captain you're fighting. That's why he asks, "Will you die like one as well?" :) I know, it's a little confusing.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User

So this line is actually directed at the Tzenkethi Captain you're fighting. That's why he asks, "Will you die like one as well?" :) I know, it's a little confusing.

In many episodes there are similar lines though, and they are directed at the player. The game often magically assumes that players are from the UFP, not the KDF.

In many episodes there are similar lines though, and they are directed at the player. The game often magically assumes that players are from the UFP, not the KDF.

Though Klingon != KDF.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User

Though Klingon != KDF.

While true, the overall end-result tends to be the same...
    It would certainly lead to a richer Trek universe if they did that more often though, create alien cultures that are more than just an idea like 'honour', 'balance' or 'profit'.

Taking the Klingon language or their rituals, or the Vulcan's philosophy with all its symbols and signs as an example; how amazing would it be if Trek came up with an alien type of music that doesn't exist yet in the real world?

It could be the beginning of an entirely new type of music in the real world, just like people are learning the Klingon language.

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I thought it was pretty obvious it was addressed to the Tzenkethi captain you are fighting together. Why would Martok even say that to you in this situation? I know in some occasions in any medium, you'll have the "proud warrior race" guy of the team saying something like "die well and with honor!" but it's almost always during a desperate situation where many have died already or before a mission where the heroes only have 1 chance in a million to survive. You don't say that in a battle where you clearly have the upper hand.
    Heck, there is even an achievement if you manage to activate all consoles while Captain "Get away from that console, mongrel!" is still around and kicking.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    > @turbomagnus said:
    >
    > Where he tells my character that they "fight like a Klingon" has had me paranoid he's a victim of choH'a' ever since.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, there's a lot of lines like that in the game. My personal favorite was "A Step Between Stars" when Koren started talking about 'you'll see what happens when a Klingon gets angry' to my Fed-Klingon. I was like "What, are you implying that I'm not a real Klingon or something?"
    >
    > Or all the times anyone in First City (especially J'mpok) talks about my KDF characters' House when they're an Orion or a Gorn or such...
    >
    > Really do think that dialogue in the game needs to pay more attention to species/race rather than just faction, y'know?

> @turbomagnus said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Or all the times anyone in First City (especially J'mpok) talks about my KDF characters' House when they're an Orion or a Gorn or such...
    >
    > Really do think that dialogue in the game needs to pay more attention to species/race rather than just faction, y'know?

First point, fairly sure that Koren (who's something of a hard-line traditionalist), sees a Federation-aligned Klingon is no true Klingon. They haven't undergone traditional training, or grown up in the "true" Klingon way, etc. So to her, you may be the same race, but you're not "Klingon".
    Second point, it's possible that referring to a players "House" is used more in the way of antiquity, as a reference to clan, family, group, etc.
    I thought it was pretty obvious it was addressed to the Tzenkethi captain you are fighting together. Why would Martok even say that to you in this situation? I know in some occasions in any medium, you'll have the "proud warrior race" guy of the team saying something like "die well and with honor!" but it's almost always during a desperate situation where many have died already or before a mission where the heroes only have 1 chance in a million to survive. You don't say that in a battle where you clearly have the upper hand.
    Heck, there is even an achievement if you manage to activate all consoles while Captain "Get away from that console, mongrel!" is still around and kicking.

Yeah I also think it was pretty obvious that this line was directed at the Tzenkethi ally actually. Still, the other examples given here are still relevant.

That accolade was relatively easy to obtain btw. A few Stasis field copies for one boff, Chronometric diffusion and some good timing were my succesful approach.

I guess cover shields or threat generators (aka Medical generators) could also work there.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    How long ago was Plato? Socrates? Marcus Aurelius? King Leonitas? Vlad the Impaler?
    How many of those do people know any more about than just the name?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg