Install Arc
Options

Martok's line in the latest FE

2»

Comments

• Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Where he tells my character that they "fight like a Klingon" has had me paranoid he's a victim of choH'a' ever since.
    :P
    Yeah, there's a lot of lines like that in the game. My personal favorite was "A Step Between Stars" when Koren started talking about 'you'll see what happens when a Klingon gets angry' to my Fed-Klingon. I was like "What, are you implying that I'm not a real Klingon or something?"
    Yeah, that's probably exactly what she was implying. Klingons can be dicks like that.

so can bajorans. Mariah and Snake want to find that docking control officer and eject her out of a docking airlock

OMG yes! That snippy little Bajoran *^*$@! in traffic control at DS9 seriously needs a lesson in manners, one delivered with a pair of brass knuckles.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Where he tells my character that they "fight like a Klingon" has had me paranoid he's a victim of choH'a' ever since.
    Yeah, there's a lot of lines like that in the game. My personal favorite was "A Step Between Stars" when Koren started talking about 'you'll see what happens when a Klingon gets angry' to my Fed-Klingon. I was like "What, are you implying that I'm not a real Klingon or something?"
    Yeah, that's probably exactly what she was implying. Klingons can be dicks like that.

so can bajorans. Mariah and Snake want to find that docking control officer and eject her out of a docking airlock

OMG yes! That snippy little Bajoran *^*$@! in traffic control at DS9 seriously needs a lesson in manners, one delivered with a pair of brass knuckles.

I'ld prefer just to detonate a high yield subspace Torpedo next to the bridge to make my point about the necessity of showing the proper respect to foreign personal.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I think what Mark meant: ask the average viewer who Marcus Aurelius was, what he did, why he is famous, except for being mentioned in some superhero comic, and you will get many blank answers.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I think what Mark meant: ask the average viewer who Marcus Aurelius was, what he did, why he is famous, except for being mentioned in some superhero comic, and you will get many blank answers.
    Or ask them why Plato went to Mars Hill and how often... :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    I honestly must've got the dialogue and misconstrued it . During my run we'd already killed the Tzenkethi Captain and were heading to go to the Command Deck. I thought Martok was congratulating me, and preparing me for the fight to come.

Obviously, there was some lag or mix up that caused a delay.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @xyquarze said:
    > I think what Mark meant: ask the average viewer who Marcus Aurelius was, what he did, why he is famous, except for being mentioned in some superhero comic, and you will get many blank answers.

Yes but that isn't what I was talking about at all. Besides thanks to Russel Crowe and Ridley Scott most will probably be able to place him as a Roman Emperor.

What I'm talking about is how things that even if nobody knows for sure how or even if it happened can still be ingrained on the collective consciousness. Like the Trojan War, for most of my life its been a raging debate about whether or not it even happened. I believe currently "it did" is winning, but either way the scholarly community leaned it still showed up in the public consciousness over the centuries. Or Robin Hood, or King Arthur. Someday centuries from now our era will have produced its own examples.

I read a great sci-fi story years ago framed as a series of letters between historians arguing over the historical existence of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, WWII, Roosevelt, Hitler. Both presented reasoned arguments for their position, it was a really interesting read. Thats what I mean, even stuff nobody knows enough about to even say if its real or not can leave an indellible cultural impact.
    Even if that impact is little more than their name?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    I honestly must've got the dialogue and misconstrued it . During my run we'd already killed the Tzenkethi Captain and were heading to go to the Command Deck. I thought Martok was congratulating me, and preparing me for the fight to come.

The "delayed comment" happens quite a lotm which sometimes can indeed be confusing.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @xyquarze said:
    > I think what Mark meant: ask the average viewer who Marcus Aurelius was, what he did, why he is famous, except for being mentioned in some superhero comic, and you will get many blank answers.

Yes but that isn't what I was talking about at all. Besides thanks to Russel Crowe and Ridley Scott most will probably be able to place him as a Roman Emperor.

What I'm talking about is how things that even if nobody knows for sure how or even if it happened can still be ingrained on the collective consciousness. Like the Trojan War, for most of my life its been a raging debate about whether or not it even happened. I believe currently "it did" is winning, but either way the scholarly community leaned it still showed up in the public consciousness over the centuries. Or Robin Hood, or King Arthur. Someday centuries from now our era will have produced its own examples.

I read a great sci-fi story years ago framed as a series of letters between historians arguing over the historical existence of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, WWII, Roosevelt, Hitler. Both presented reasoned arguments for their position, it was a really interesting read. Thats what I mean, even stuff nobody knows enough about to even say if its real or not can leave an indellible cultural impact.

The story indeed sounds interesting. If you remember the title, please let me know.

But back to Marc Aurel - would people still recognize him written that way by the way? Or would they consider him to be a second string sophomore running back of Notre Dame? - okay, right now he may have featured in a movie, so people will have some basic knowledge. Unless they think he was that book merchant in the Imperial City in Skyrim. But that will pass, and knowledge from movies doesn't always meet basic criteria for accuracy. While Salieri otherwise wouldn't be a household name, and needn't be, his portrayal in "Amadeus" was quite off, as an example.

But yes, in the end, many aren't more than a name and maybe a profession in the public consciousness. What was Plato's relation to Socrates? (The latter also being a Brazilian soccer player) Brahms was a famous composer, quick, name one of his compositions. It isn't a shame not to be able to, but portrayals in Science Fiction often include multiple people who are not experts in the field of 20th century guitar pop humming along and knowing the lyrics to "Yesterday", actually having read Kant and seen the movie "Maltese Falcon" despite holodecks already existing, because they're all nostalgics. Which of course is more interesting to us than 23rd century literature or alien music - the latter more likely than not will suck in our ears if it gets too alien, so it'll often just be standard musical fare with some "strange touch" and be way less alien than many things already existing on our planet, say, Mongolian throat singing. Or didgeridoos. But I digress.

Bottom line of what I was trying to say is: many of those names are just dropped to help readers/viewers/players relate to the universe. But people wouldn't necessarily know anything about them. This doesn't have to be bad, after all these media are meant to be consumed by 20th century earthlings, so what they enjoy is dandy. And I enjoy "The very model of a scientist Salarian" a lot. But it isn't realistic.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

The "delayed comment" happens quite a lotm which sometimes can indeed be confusing.

It even happens with Q and his anniversary comments while you're flying around. He was still talking about that sea gul when I was already near Starbase 39.

But he transcends the passage of time so I guess it's not really a delay if he's involved :p
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.