Options

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | Theories - Spoiler Zone |

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Philippa Georgiou
    elixeelixe wrote: »
    Ahh ok I get what you meant about the silliness of the Captain/Shipname. :lol: Totally agree in that sense. That's not much but is definitely and example of how much this show desperately should have had real Star Trek minds behind it like: Branon Braga; Rick Berman; Jeri Taylor, Michael Piller, Rene Echevarria, Ronald D. Moore, Joe Menosky, Hans Beimler and David Livingston to name...slightly more than a few. :lol:

Joe Menosky is on DSC, he's one of the executive producers. The series was created by Brian Fuller, who wrote two DS9 episodes and 20 VOY episodes. The midwinter premiere was directed by Jonathan Frakes, and Nick freaking Meyer, the writer and director of Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country, is one of the producers.

So, tell us again how there are no "real" Star Trek minds behind DSC.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    elixeelixeelixeelixe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    elixeelixe wrote: »
    Ahh ok I get what you meant about the silliness of the Captain/Shipname. :lol: Totally agree in that sense. That's not much but is definitely and example of how much this show desperately should have had real Star Trek minds behind it like: Branon Braga; Rick Berman; Jeri Taylor, Michael Piller, Rene Echevarria, Ronald D. Moore, Joe Menosky, Hans Beimler and David Livingston to name...slightly more than a few. :lol:

Joe Menosky is on DSC, he's one of the executive producers. The series was created by Brian Fuller, who wrote two DS9 episodes and 20 VOY episodes. The midwinter premiere was directed by Jonathan Frakes, and Nick freaking Meyer, the writer and director of Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country, is one of the producers.

So, tell us again how there are no "real" Star Trek minds behind DSC.

Oh yeah I know there have been a few names with Trek Cred that have touched the show. But that seems more like an attempt at media hype. Look at my notes below for Joe and Bryan.

Most of the names I mentioned have far more weight to their name in terms of Star Trek credit and creation than Joe and Bryan do. The heavy weights in brief list are executive producers, creators and writers of far more episodes across the franchise than the other two. But yeah the big minds behind the shows are Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, Jeri Taylor and Michael Piller. Ronal D. Moore and David Livingston have played major creative roles as well.

Series, Movies and The Star Trek Experience:
    Rick Berman 676 credits (Executive producer/creator/writer/Creator)
    Michael Piller 646 credits (Executive Producer/writer/Creator)
    Branon Braga 409 credits (ditto) Plus he was the executive producer of Cosmos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson which was 13 episodes and was more Star Trek than the new show is. Great theme song. Felt like the opening to a ST series.
    Jeri Taylor 382 credits (Executive producer/Co-Exec Producer/writer/Creator)
    David Livingston 311 different credits across the franchise (producer/director/writer/production manager)
    Ronald D. Moore 302 (Co-executive producer/producer/writer)
    Rene Echevarria 220 (producer/writer)

Series only:
    Joe Menosky 187 (co-producer/writer)
    Joe Menosky is only credited for the pilot as a producer and has only 1 writing credit for one other episode in the new show.

Bryan Fuller 49 Credits (co-producer, writer - only 24)
    Bryan fuller the person with the least amount of Trek experience is the creator of the new show. 15 episodes. (Executive producer/creator) Having only written 24 episodes between ST:V and DS9.

Alex Kurtzmen's only experience with Star Trek was Into Darkness. I do enjoy the Kelvin timeline movies, very much, but again a severe lack of Star Trek expertise.

Nicholas Meyer is credited for ST 2,4 & 6 as writer and directed ST 2 & 6. And an absolutely amazing job he did with them. He was only a consulting producer for 4 undetermined episodes of Discovery. It's been 27 years since he has worked with Star Trek.

Yes Frakes may have directed an episode and I wouldn't be surprised if a few other names here and there get tossed in to try and help add more cred to the show. A guy's gotta make a living! :lol:
    Even the TV ads for Discovery are simply selling it on its flash/special effects and action. Not substance. It's just marketing.
  • Options
    elixeelixeelixeelixe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    ...and for everything else, there's Mastercard.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Other
    It's weird when somebody actually calls for Brannon Braga to touch the franchise again pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It's weird when somebody actually calls for Brannon Braga to touch the franchise again pig-2.gif​​

In the past, the future was better and the grass is greener on the other side.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Other
    It's weird when somebody actually calls for Brannon Braga to touch the franchise again pig-2.gif

He's a better writer than a showrunner and better when not part of B&B. Not great but not awful.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    As long as the actor's race looks close enough to the character's race, I have no problem with actors acting as different races. Few viewers are able to tell the difference between a Japanese woman and a Malaysian woman. Having a Caucasian actor play an Indian character (Khan) is just wrong especially since there was no point in whitewashing the character.
  • Options
    Other
    starkaos wrote: »
    As long as the actor's race looks close enough to the character's race, I have no problem with actors acting as different races. Few viewers are able to tell the difference between a Japanese woman and a Malaysian woman. Having a Caucasian actor play an Indian character (Khan) is just wrong especially since there was no point in whitewashing the character.

A Chinese actor playing a Japanese character sure, but Malaysians look quite a bit different from either.

And the last Khan was also played by a Caucasian actor. Montalbán may have been Mexican by nationality but he was ethnically Spanish. So you can draw from that Khan was always white, just Indian by nationality. No whitewashing involved at all unless you mean in TOS.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    also... "Indian by nationality" Well... um... Didn't the Queen of England rule India at one point? Pretty sure there's a hefty percentage of white people there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Other
    also... "Indian by nationality" Well... um... Didn't the Queen of England rule India at one point? Pretty sure there's a hefty percentage of white people there.

Both English and Portuguese. The latter of which a Spaniard could conceivably play without raising eyebrows.

Also, more pedanticaly no she didn't. Queen Anne was the last Queen of England as the 1707 act of union dismantled the Kingdoms of England and Scotland forming the United Kingdom (Ireland already being part of the Kingdom of England since 1607 and Wales since 1542).

Victoria was queen of the UK.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    valoreah wrote: »

Please by all that we hold holy no. The farther the man is away from Trek, the better.

Well, past 13 years did not impress me much, yo.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    Burnham's Father
    i think, lorca wants to make m.u. more like prime!!
  • Options
    garaks31 wrote: »
    i think, lorca wants to make m.u. more like prime!!

It all depends on who the Emperor in the Mirror Mirror episode will be. Either Lorca is successful or he isn't and Georgiou stays Emperor. Then there is the possibility of the Emperor being assassinated or leaving their throne. The only difference between Mirror Mirror and the Discovery Mirror Universe episodes is that Mirror Spock is the First Officer of the ISS Enterprise. Mirror Kirk killed whoever he needed to in order to get ahead. Assassinate Captain Pike, destroy a rebel homeworld to stop an uprising, and killing a bunch of colonists seems to be in line with Mirror Universe Captains in Discovery. So if Lorca wanted to make the Mirror Universe more like the Prime Universe, then he wasn't successful.

The only alien we saw on the ISS Shenzhou was Mirror Saru which is a slave. At least he is faring better than the other Kelpiens that we saw. The Discovery version of the Terran Empire seems far more xenophobic than the Terran Empire in Mirror Mirror.

Lorca seems to be extremely pragmatic so it is more likely that Lorca is more interested in using everyone to the best of their abilities rather than making the Mirror Universe more like the Prime Universe.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Philippa Georgiou
    If you wish to know more about the Mirror Emperor:

This stuff is, as the writer notes, technically only canon if it actually appears on screen, but it goes into what they were thinking who she is.
    All Hail her most Imperial Majesty, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Kronos, Regina Andor, All Hail Philippa Georgiou Augustus Iaponius Centarius."

But what's it mean??!?

When we began digging into the Terrans last year, I had just read a newer history of Rome and was excited to use it as inspiration. (SPQR by Mary Beard, check it out.)

Here's some of the titles Roman Emperors used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_emperor#Titles_and_positions

So into her titles:
    • Father of the Fatherland is easy, we turned that into Mother of the Fatherland (even tho we de-gendered Emperor, it felt right)
    • Overlord of Vulcan: an early conquest of the Terrans, they see themselves as their protectors. It's paternalistic / delusional.
    • Dominus of Kronos: Terrans are very proud of conquering Qo'noS. Dominus is a harsher title the Emperor at the time took as a result (and Georgiou kept for herself). "We OWN them." Qo'noS mispronounced out of cultural chauvinism.
    • Regina Andor: Andoria is a jewel in the Terran crowd. Subjugated warrior race. Early Terran conquest, pre-Sato. The title was created to celebrate this achievement.
    Now as for Georgiou's many names...

Philippa Georgiou Augustus Iaponius Centarius
    Philipa Georgiou: her given name and her family name, just like Prime.
    Augustus: the Terrans see themselves as inheritors of the Roman Empire so their Emperors take the title of its first Emperor.

Iaponius is Latin for Japanese. This (in my fever dream) is a title Hoshi Sato adopted when she named herself Empress, to honor her homeland.

So is Georgiou descended from Hoshi!?
    Well...

Hoshi was Empress.
    100 years later, Georgiou is Emperor.
    Georgiou took one of Hoshi's titles as her own to connect them. So Hoshi's legacy as Empress must be good and Georgiou must either be connected to her in a chain of succession or might want to create that connection.....

But they have different ethnic backgrounds. Hoshi is Japanese, Philipa is Chinese-Malaysian. So I don't think it's likely Philipa is a direct descendent like a great-grandchild. Cousins is possible. More likely tho...

...whoever inherited Hoshi's throne was someone she adopted as a child & heir, the way most Roman emperors did. And that Emperor adopted his/her heir, and so on, until we get to Georgiou.
    And she is proud of the connection and flaunts it with the title Iaponius.
    But...

...it's not canon until it's on screen so that's just one writer's opinion.
    As for Centaurius, I figured it was the first system colonized by the Terrans since it's closest to Sol so it was a title the Emperor at the time took in tribute.
    Hope someone found this informative!
    END

SACRIFICES FOR EDIT MONSTER GO HERE
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Other
    Two interesting points, it seems Jordon Nardino is also still saying;
    ...it's not canon until it's on screen so that's just one writer's opinion...

Which continues to indicate 'any thing goes' is, and never was, valid and that CBS still retains it's onscreen only definition of canon.

And far more importantly, cannot spell the word 'though'. Oh, and also over uses ellipses and uses them as breaks rather than omissions. Unless that due to the compilation technique as these are Twitter quotes, then my apologies.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Philippa Georgiou
    artan42 wrote: »
    Two interesting points, it seems Jordon Nardino is also still saying;
    ...it's not canon until it's on screen so that's just one writer's opinion...

Which continues to indicate 'any thing goes' is, and never was, valid and that CBS still retains it's onscreen only definition of canon.

And far more importantly, cannot spell the word 'though'. Oh, and also over uses ellipses and uses them as breaks rather than omissions. Unless that due to the compilation technique as these are Twitter quotes, then my apologies.​​

It's due to twitter, I think. What he wrote is split across multiple posts, and I copy & pasted it from twitter and then got rid of stuff like "12 mentions" or whatever, but tried to keep everything he wrote in it. The ellipses are what he wrote to denote that there is another twitter post where the text continues.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    Burnham's Father
    what / who is the spore on Tilly's shoulder ?

could we meet prime Lorca ?

will there be a story about Mirror Dscvry on Prime Universe ?

how will this season end?

My guesses,

mirror lorca or the doctor , because mirror Stamets was shot above the core and lorca fell !!

would be cool

Admirals entrance was interesting!!

(must decide next week)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    So here's a wacky thought I had about the look of the DSC Klingons. I remember reading somewhere that the showrunners plan to shift the look of the show to bring it more in line with TOS as the seasons progress, and that the Klingon War is only going to be the focus of the first season, and something occurred to me.

What if the look of the Klingons making them less relatable is intentional? What if the intent is to make them look animalistic or what-have-you now, while they and the Federation are in an all-out war and the characters can't really relate to them? Then, once greater intercultural understanding is gained and tensions degrade to the cold war of TOS, the Klingons are meant to shift visually and become more human-looking?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    how will this season end?
    At this point, I'm going with the Anti-Trekker's theory:

"In order to prevent the Klingon War from ever happening, Micheal Burnham takes the Discovery back in time just before the Battle of the Binary Stars. The Discovery sacrifices itself to destroy the Sarcophagus ship, thus acting as a giant "reset button" for the Star Trek Universe. This will, of course, mean the entire first season is a waste of time, as none of it actually happened."

Based on "temporal shenanigans" and the writers insisting "this is Trek; Hugh isn't going to stay dead", this seems the most plausible. Also, it leaves the option to allow Jason Isaacs to play his nefarious captain next season because "reset button".

I hope I'm wrong. I'm tired of this hack writing.
  • Options
    The only way for the time travel reset button to work is that they time travel to after they destroy the ISS Charon. The Discovery gives the information just in time and saves the Federation from losing the war without erasing the entire purpose of the first season. If Discovery stops the Klingon War from every beginning, then the entire purpose of Discovery is destroyed. Why bother with funding a project to create the Spore Drive when there is no need to travel instantaneously to any location? Burnham would get her own command and not be the first Starfleet mutineer.

Although if Discovery is wiped from existence, then it would explain Spock saying that there is no record of a mutiny on a Federation starship in The Tholian Web even though his own adopted sister committed mutiny.

There is very good reason why the whole This Season is just a dream trope is the most stupid action that a TV series could ever make. So while the time travel reset button would give Discovery another chance to make Discovery canonical, it would be a giant middle finger to any fan of the show. It could also explain why we don't have advanced technology in TOS like holographic interfaces, holodeck, and cybernetic implants while it was on the USS Discovery. The Discovery we know of is erased from existence and a less advanced version is developed due to no Klingon War. So there might be no Spore Drive in Season 2 assuming that Discovery sacrifices itself to destroy the Sarcophagus ship and prevents the war from ever happening.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is very good reason why the whole This Season is just a dream trope is the most stupid action that a TV series could ever make. So while the time travel reset button would give Discovery another chance to make Discovery canonical, it would be a giant middle finger to any fan of the show. It could also explain why we don't have advanced technology in TOS like holographic interfaces, holodeck, and cybernetic implants while it was on the USS Discovery. The Discovery we know of is erased from existence and a less advanced version is developed due to no Klingon War. So there might be no Spore Drive in Season 2 assuming that Discovery sacrifices itself to destroy the Sarcophagus ship and prevents the war from ever happening.
    The tech should be the same. For instance, there were holographic comms on the Shenzou before the Battle of the Binary Stars. Also, Stamets is working on a mushroom engine somewhere and Lorca got into a transporter somewhere. Now, without a war, Lorca may not be able to convince Starfleet to give him uncontested control of the Discovery, so he can't use it as a "private fiefdom".

I can see it as a running gag. Every season, Discovery "resets" itself at the end, so you can enjoy the same characters doing different things. A time loop that ends when the series is cancelled.
  • Options
    Philippa Georgiou
    So here's a wacky thought I had about the look of the DSC Klingons. I remember reading somewhere that the showrunners plan to shift the look of the show to bring it more in line with TOS as the seasons progress, and that the Klingon War is only going to be the focus of the first season, and something occurred to me.

What if the look of the Klingons making them less relatable is intentional? What if the intent is to make them look animalistic or what-have-you now, while they and the Federation are in an all-out war and the characters can't really relate to them? Then, once greater intercultural understanding is gained and tensions degrade to the cold war of TOS, the Klingons are meant to shift visually and become more human-looking?

I've had the basic idea as well - the new Klingon look might just be a stamp the original showrunner wanted to put on "his" Star Trek, but it might also be a way to make the Klingons feel strange and alien to the viewers as well

They aren't our friendly slightly grumpy Worf and his honorable badass sidekick Martok and the crazy-eyed Gowron anymore. These are aliens. We have no clue how they think or what they really want, just like the protagonists. But our heroes have to figure this out, and we will be along for the ride.

Whether they intend to slowly "migrate" the visual style of Klingons to represent our better understanding of them - I don't know.
  • Options

I've had the basic idea as well - the new Klingon look might just be a stamp the original showrunner wanted to put on "his" Star Trek, but it might also be a way to make the Klingons feel strange and alien to the viewers as well

They aren't our friendly slightly grumpy Worf and his honorable badass sidekick Martok and the crazy-eyed Gowron anymore. These are aliens. We have no clue how they think or what they really want, just like the protagonists. But our heroes have to figure this out, and we will be along for the ride.

Whether they intend to slowly "migrate" the visual style of Klingons to represent our better understanding of them - I don't know.

Or the Klingons could be indicative that is not the same universe that we are used to. The Into Darkness Klingons actually looked like Klingons. The Klingons look like a completely alien race with no similarities to Klingons. Remove the name dropping, rename Harry Mudd, and call the Klingons as something else and Discovery could be easily set in the late 24th to early 25th Century.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Other
    Regular Klingons weren't wrinkly faced enough. Today shows and movies can.only work when the heroes fight ugly unrelatable Orcs whose motivations remain obscure instead of being actually considerable. We need clear good and evil patterns ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    Regular Klingons weren't wrinkly faced enough. Today shows and movies can.only work when the heroes fight ugly unrelatable Orcs whose motivations remain obscure instead of being actually considerable. We need clear good and evil patterns ;)
    Um, the motives of the Klingons in Discovery aren't particularly obscure. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Other
    Oh look. Still peddling the same lies long debunked since you first dribbled then forth in September. You still have no evidence of biology changes nor do you have any evidence to suggest any previous Klingon armour or weaponry is 'practical'. If you weren't so tiresome your lying fits would be almost amusing.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    the DSC klingorks aren't threatening except in still photos.
    Still more threatening than TNG and DS9 Klindums.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing