What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance on all platforms next Tuesday, 10/17

Comments

• Options
    kf4tvikf4tvi Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    freeb46227 wrote: »
    This game is played in many time zones and countries there is no overnight.
    In this era of high availability and virtualization there is plenty of tools to play around to deliver uninteruptable service. Even ancient applications can be under maintenance for a short period.

Communication is the most problematic issue. They fail to update the players ("customers") about their progress and the reason they have to extend their window.

They're doing a live stream and giving updates as they come in. Last I heard it was noon for PC...later for console.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    freeb46227 wrote: »
    This game is played in many time zones and countries there is no overnight.
    In this era of high availability and virtualization there is plenty of tools to play around to deliver uninteruptable service. Even ancient applications can be under maintenance for a short period.

Those are different kinds of applications, that don't require a consistent state at all times, unlike MMOs. I've worked with systems where a full restart took several hours. (A big chunk of that was loading information into memory. Disk is slow, RAM is fast(er)).
  • Options
    klingotklingot Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    So why do they have to take down everything, can we still play on tribble to bide our time or is everything down?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    THE ENTIRE PWE SERVER FARM IS DOWN.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Thought it was supposed to be back at Noon Pacific? am I wrong? Oh wait they just updated it to 1PM.... lol Well there goes my STO today...
  • Options
    roguemyceroguemyce Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    > @ambassadorkael#6946 said:
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > On Tuesday, October 17, all Cryptic games will undergo extended maintenance starting at 5am PT and scheduled to end at 12pm PT.

Most technical companies have got tertiary machines. When an extended upgrade is planned, they'll complete the upgrades on the tertiaries, then the secondaries, then take down the primary machines for upgrade while the secondaries and tertiaries are put online. Prevents downtime.
  • Options
    gdeemergdeemer Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Thought it was supposed to be back at Noon Pacific? am I wrong? Oh wait they just updated it to 1PM.... lol

You are not wrong. Over one-hour late now (two-hours from original scheduled time).
    ========================
    Deemer
    Fleet Admiral
    Mechanized Dragons
    ========================
  • Options
    zacedarkseekerzacedarkseeker Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    updated to 1pm? TRIBBLE, I don't want to have to wait another friggin hour, but I will due to this issue.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    I find a problem with this maintenance, I am on the PS4 and it states that they will end at noon, yet the server is STILL down, please tell me why this is.

most likely an unexpected delay, those things happen you, might be that they couldn't update things for the consoles. PC version says 1 PM now. compared to the utter disasters launches of some high profile games then STO have been a another on routine maintenance is hardly the end of the world like people make it out to be. Just relax, take breath and come back later.
  • Options
    ryneman#3249 ryneman Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I just had major surgery on my shoulder this morning. I was looking forward to playing some STO afterwards to help with post surgery BS. If they extend it again..... not a happy commander
  • Options
    lewtenendlewtenend Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    No they do not. This happens EVERY time. I know I should not be suprised then. We.., I am not...at least not the delay. I am suprised they do not plan ahead and say it will be down for longer and then bring the servers up earlier.

After all to quote Scotty
    Scotty: Do you mind a little advice? Starfleet captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. But the secret is to give them only what they need, not what they want.
    Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Yeah, well, I told the Captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.
    Scotty: How long will it really take?
    Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: An hour!
    Scotty: Oh, you didn't tell him how long it would *really* take, did ya?
    Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Well, of course I did.
    Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.

I dont get it...
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    Hey guys - as you've guessed, or heard if you watched the stream, there's still some time left on today's maintenance. Thanks for your patience. PC should be back very soon, and Console is on its way as well, but we don't have a firm ETA.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I just had major surgery on my shoulder this morning. I was looking forward to playing some STO afterwards to help with post surgery BS. If they extend it again..... not a happy commander

I can sympathise; I've got to go out of town first thing (almost pre-first thing) tomorrow and will be out for two days, so I was hoping to get in some quick quality STO time before I left and the original time was bad enough, but now it keeps being extended... man...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    zacedarkseekerzacedarkseeker Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Hey guys - as you've guessed, or heard if you watched the stream, there's still some time left on today's maintenance. Thanks for your patience. PC should be back very soon, and Console is on its way as well, but we don't have a firm ETA.

At least you guys are fixing your problems, I have another game I play on PS4 where the creators of the game are refusing to fix ANY of the actual problems. I don't mind dropping name bombs, so I will mention that this is WildCard studios, creators of ARK: Survival Evolved. I am glad that you guys are at least making sure things get fixed.
  • Options
    ryneman#3249 ryneman Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    > @lewtenend said:
    > No they do not. This happens EVERY time. I know I should not be suprised then. We.., I am not...at least not the delay. I am suprised they do not plan ahead and say it will be down for longer and then bring the servers up earlier.
    >
    > After all to quote Scotty
    > Scotty: Do you mind a little advice? Starfleet captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. But the secret is to give them only what they need, not what they want.
    > Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Yeah, well, I told the Captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.
    > Scotty: How long will it really take?
    > Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: An hour!
    > Scotty: Oh, you didn't tell him how long it would *really* take, did ya?
    > Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge: Well, of course I did.
    > Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.
    >
    > I dont get it...

Love it!!!! so true. I used that technique in the military.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    Will the high percentage package loss >30% (WinMTR stats) caused on the Cryptic Netwerk servers and frequent "server not responding" and disconnects be solved?
  • Options
    hellspawn041#6825 hellspawn041 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Ambassador Kael, Well, the stated time has come & gone, and us console Captains are used to feeling left wayyyyy behind, but come on, throw us a bone, and give us some idea of when we can play!
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    resumeplay wrote: »
    Why can't this maintence be completed in the middle of the night? 7 hours? Sheesh

Middle of the night for whom? I'm guessing you are American lol.... it's just the techs making America great again (j/k)

Wwell of course americans think the world revolves around them because they have no real neibors like countries in europe... if you discount mexico which is basically a narco state and canada which 98% of the population lives an hour away from the border which makes them... can-merican since they get all their radio and tv channels but are much more polite and they don't carry guns :P
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I hope someone steps on a Lego, barefeeted, for, while only providing ONE international server, shafting EU. Again. People come home in droves around the time the servers go offline.
  • Options
    gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    They release miracle worker spec, and can't overestimate their maintenance time? Back to basics folks... ;)
  • Options
    craicdealercraicdealer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Been waiting all eveninghere in the UK, knowing my luck they'll go back up just as I need to get to bed for work. Oh well. Needs must
  • Options
    1PM come and gone... lol
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    1PM come and gone... lol

well it was clear from Ambassador Kael's post that 1pm was an estimate not a firm "it will happen on this exact nanosecond" thing it just show said estimate was accurate, without knowing what caused the delay we cannot really judge them fairly here as we cannot know how easy it is to estimate when the problem is fixed.
  • Options
    borgresearcherborgresearcher Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Dear god - I really do wonder what some people DO with their lives. Granted it's civilised here (on the forum), but Facebook? Crying about this or that bug not being fixed (idiotic considering this was NEVER touted as a bug fix patch), demands for compensation. Lots of over-entitlement.

I despair sometimes.

this was never touted as a bug fix patch, neither any of the others ?? as far as i know, maintenance is suposed to include fixes, not just releases ? lol because definitely, all the game needs right now is more fkin power creep, and ships with extra console slots, awesome, you can all go now buy your fkin faw trait LOL ffs what is wrong with these devs
  • Options
    hellspawn041#6825 hellspawn041 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I am not asking for an exact nanosecond estimate, but a ballpark console estimate is not too much to ask. Or at least some idea of the problem to explain WHY they can't give one.
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    So it’s been extended at least another two hours? TRIBBLE
  • Options
    queefmanqueefman Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Geordis eyes are scary in that pic, evrytime I refresh.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    spiritborn wrote: »
    1PM come and gone... lol

well it was clear from Ambassador Kael's post that 1pm was an estimate not a firm "it will happen on this exact nanosecond" thing it just show said estimate was accurate, without knowing what caused the delay we cannot really judge them fairly here as we cannot know how easy it is to estimate when the problem is fixed.

I agree with you but it is fun to complain about stuff like this especially when they actually do deserve it. I mean come on look at the art in STO, they think the "special effects" on things like a hand phaser, not the beam itself but the silly blue lines that outline the actual phaser, this is an improvement? How could that possibly get past concept art stages? Or maybe it is concept and they forgot to actually install the real art, anyone know? Does Cryptic even know? Sometimes you have to wonder about things like this...

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    He also said in his post that an ETA cannot be accurately predicted. Take a chill pill, this isn't the end of the world.

Just glad I got to my Arc Quests and mining on a newbie FTP captain very early this morning, before anything went down. Anything else can wait. I'll just go play Oblivion or something.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.