test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? Brushfire

Comments

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Am I the only one who thought J. G. Hertzler's voiceover didn't fit? His line delivery was good but it was lacking any of Martok's usual defiant, aggressive tone. And you would expect him to be angry after being held in captivity for so long. It almost seemed like they had broken his spirit but that wouldn't be consistent with what we witnessed in the episode.

I don't know. That was slightly disappointing even though I really enjoyed the episode as a whole.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'd say he sounded sad and tired. which he sometimes did in the TV show.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    You know what bothered me after playing it a second time last night...

Why the heck do we (A starfleet Admiral) go along with every suggestion made to us..
    Like, we're slaughtering people left and right, with almost no questions asked.

Picard would've flipped his lid at some of the tasks we agreed to happily.
    That's what I kept thinking while playing it last night... "Picard wouldn't have approved"...lol.
    Yet our captains/Admirals are just like; "Meh, sounds good Klingon guy" *Starts shooting up the place* - but to be fair, this is a video game.. and a mission with no action is not usually fun, unless it has extremely good writing going for it...

Anyway, that's my major criticism of this mission. *You never once questioned the ethicality of your actions*, and killing seemed to be the go-to solution at all times.

Not sure what the purpose of the JemHadar guy was.. He kind of doesn't do anything.. except die a senseless death.. Maybe the writing team ran out of time, and had "bigger" plans for him.. But as is, his role added almost nothing to the story.

The positive;
    Once again the environments were really well done. (Give those ENV artist guys a raise - they've been killing it for the last while!) Prison compound was a really neat map, it reminded me of a really upgraded/updated 4072 Facility. Excellent work there.
    I also thought the last ground map (the final battle area) had some beautiful architecture on display, the Comms Tower in particular (? - Tall tower with the dish like object at the top) was a great set piece, and stood out dramatically as it towered above the battle field.
    So once again... stellar work by the environment guys..

And if we ignore the player characters questionable slaughter throughout the mission... the story was actually pretty interesting. Enjoyed the mystery about Kurn/Rodek... I feel it could lead to a very interesting arc. Would be very happy to have Tony Todd on board for many more missions.

Martok VO was well done, but tbh I'm not as familiar with him. I missed big chunks of DS9. So maybe when I get to re-watching DS9 series he'll become a character I care about more. I am aware however that he was on TNG several times though.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Picard. He is like modem Military MANAGERS and not Military LEADERS. Westmoreland vs. Patton. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    Nice to see Torg getting it finally.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    You know what bothered me after playing it a second time last night...

Why the heck do we (A starfleet Admiral) go along with every suggestion made to us..
    Like, we're slaughtering people left and right, with almost no questions asked.

Picard would've flipped his lid at some of the tasks we agreed to happily.
    That's what I kept thinking while playing it last night... "Picard wouldn't have approved"...lol.
    Yet our captains/Admirals are just like; "Meh, sounds good Klingon guy" *Starts shooting up the place* - but to be fair, this is a video game.. and a mission with no action is not usually fun, unless it has extremely good writing going for it...

Anyway, that's my major criticism of this mission. *You never once questioned the ethicality of your actions*, and killing seemed to be the go-to solution at all times.
    Uh, isn't Picard the same guy who went Rambo on a pirate crew and massacred the entire lot of them?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought J. G. Hertzler's voiceover didn't fit? His line delivery was good but it was lacking any of Martok's usual defiant, aggressive tone. And you would expect him to be angry after being held in captivity for so long. It almost seemed like they had broken his spirit but that wouldn't be consistent with what we witnessed in the episode.

I don't know. That was slightly disappointing even though I really enjoyed the episode as a whole.

I said the same thing on the previous page.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I must agree with some of the point brught fore before. There is no point to call this a covert/stealth operation when nothing in the gameplay reflects that - nothing at all. We cannot find alternative ways to anything, as every little step is spoonfed through f-actions to us and ultimately it boils down to shoot anything, business as usual.

The cutscenes are fun, but somewhat impractical - it's clear where they go and what references are made, but the animations look a bit comic sometimes. Still, it's nice to play through - at least once. The prospect of doing this over and over again for the set is not... great.

Story wise, I agree it's weird that J'mpok is on board with all that and everything between him and Martok is fine. It feels not thought out. Nice visuals throughout, though.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Story wise, I agree it's weird that J'mpok is on board with all that and everything between him and Martok is fine.
    It's been 18 years, Martok lost fair and square, and he never really wanted to rule the Empire anyways. J'mpok never had anything against Martok personally either.

Why on earth do you think its weird that they are fine?

Precisely this. Martok as much as said that if it wasn't for Torg, he would have died in the duel with J'mpok. By all laws and rules regarding promotion and advancement in the Empire, J'mpok is the rightful Chancellor. Martok is also pragmatic enough to realize that he lost fair and square.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
    Not Martok, J'mpok. I really don't think he'd be all "we good, let's save Martok" in this.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > Except the entire first part of the mission where we stealthy enter the facility and get Martok out of his cell, which is a by the book stealth operation.

Ah yes. The part where we hunt down a dozen of enemies and ignite the gas clouds instead of using stealth to infiltrate the facility.

Sorry but this is stupid. A all out attack on the facility would have had the exact same effect since we can magically cut off al communications of the enemy without anyone ever noticing we blast dozens of battleships. They could have send a fleet instead of two ships since trying to avoid detection wasn't an option even once. The part in the facility is sort of stealthy but completely tacked on as we don't get anything out of it - just shooting your way through works better and quicker.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Story wise, I agree it's weird that J'mpok is on board with all that and everything between him and Martok is fine.
    It's been 18 years, Martok lost fair and square, and he never really wanted to rule the Empire anyways. J'mpok never had anything against Martok personally either.

There is no point to call this a covert/stealth operation when nothing in the gameplay reflects that - nothing at all. .​​
    Except the entire first part of the mission where we stealthy enter the facility and get Martok out of his cell, which is a by the book stealth operation.
    Its not real stealth when the player cannot fail and all they have to do is walk in a straight line. The player actions come down to walk, shoot, walk, shoot, press F, walk, shoot, press F, walk, shoot. There is no real stealth from the player. Sto needs to take a lesson from Nexus the Jupiter Incident or the Deus Ex games where missions have alternative pathways and alternative gameplay styles.

When talking about ground maps Sto has become too streamlined, for me it feels like these days 90% of the game is walk, shoot, repeat and sometimes tap F. I don't even bother using heals, looking at my health bar, bridge officers or powers any more. Its just walk, shoot repeat. The gameplay has become very limited on the ground. You can get though almost all the content by just blindly walking and shooting with the odd tap of F without even bothering with heals or thinking. Some of the best times I had in STO are the old ground STF's that required team work and more then just blindly walking and shooting which is all most of the new missions are these days.

I dislike the literal railroading. Martok telling us all the things we can do to overcome obstacles is pointless since we have to do everything in the exact same way he says anyway otherwise the game doesn't progress. Same in space, forget stealthing past a enemy patrol because it's the objective to go back and kill them.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    Well, there's active stealth and passive stealth. Passive stealth is simply not being seen. Active stealth means removing the methods your enemy has to detect you. Example: there's a patrolling ship that might see us. option A: hide behind an asteroid and hope they don't notice. Option B: shoot them before they can communicate with their HQ.

This mission we chose option B.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    Well, there's active stealth and passive stealth. Passive stealth is simply not being seen. Active stealth means removing the methods your enemy has to detect you. Example: there's a patrolling ship that might see us. option A: hide behind an asteroid and hope they don't notice. Option B: shoot them before they can communicate with their HQ.

This mission we chose option B.

The mission didn't give us the option of choosing anything. It was just shoot everything. NOTHING in the mission gave anything to stealth. Oh, you mean act like prisoners for all of 2 minutes before blowing holes in everything? There is no real stealth option.

I would rather have an option where we STEALTHILY sneak in , get Martok, and SNEAK OUT WITHOUT BEING DETECTING. Otherwise, what is the point for watching out for patrols and mentioning the turrets?
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    You watch for patrols to note where they are later when you'll have to fight them on your way back out. Rodek basically tells you so when he mentions them. Turrets are foreshadowing that they are there and might come in handy later. MMOs in general don't like to give you decent rewards without a fight. This goes back to the old days of death penalties and they just can't get over it, I guess.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    When talking about ground maps Sto has become too streamlined, for me it feels like these days 90% of the game is walk, shoot, repeat and sometimes tap F. I don't even bother using heals, looking at my health bar, bridge officers or powers any more. Its just walk, shoot repeat. The gameplay has become very limited on the ground. You can get though almost all the content by just blindly walking and shooting with the odd tap of F without even bothering with heals or thinking. Some of the best times I had in STO are the old ground STF's that required team work and more then just blindly walking and shooting which is all most of the new missions are these days.

You're comparing old STFs with story episodes here. Story episodes pretty much never made you think in battle or use consumables. They've always been designed to be easy enough to solo for anyone, so much so that anything in one that is a minor roadblock causes people to come here and freak out about them.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    You watch for patrols to note where they are later when you'll have to fight them on your way back out. Rodek basically tells you so when he mentions them. Turrets are foreshadowing that they are there and might come in handy later. MMOs in general don't like to give you decent rewards without a fight. This goes back to the old days of death penalties and they just can't get over it, I guess.

You're comparing old STFs with story episodes here. Story episodes pretty much never made you think in battle or use consumables. They've always been designed to be easy enough to solo for anyone, so much so that anything in one that is a minor roadblock causes people to come here and freak out about them.

There is a difference between holding your hand all the way through the episode and giving a player the freedom of choice on how to complete the said episode.

FORCING players to "sneak" aka Blast your way out and the difference between ACTUAL stealth gameplay is as different as day and night.

I would have rather it be just me and Rodek sneaking in to get Martok and the forgettable Jem'Hadar and sneaking out over the same old blast your way through while getting your hand held. There are great ways to complete any of the missions if players are given the options.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Story blogs should not be required reading to understand the story IN THE GAME. The Stealth for getting Martok out wasn't stealth. You were ESCORTED RIGHT TO HIM.
    Yes they should, just like most video game series have out of game lore blogs, or developer comments, that are used to give more information on things.

And that is stealth you nitwit. Stealth =/= going in totally invisible, stealth means going in in such a manner as that your enemy doesn't know your true intentions until it's too late.

There is no point to call this a covert/stealth operation when nothing in the gameplay reflects that - nothing at all. .​​
    Except the entire first part of the mission where we stealthy enter the facility and get Martok out of his cell, which is a by the book stealth operation.
    Its not real stealth when the player cannot fail and all they have to do is walk in a straight line. The player actions come down to walk, shoot, walk, shoot, press F, walk, shoot, press F, walk, shoot. There is no real stealth from the player. Sto needs to take a lesson from Nexus the Jupiter Incident or the Deus Ex games where missions have alternative pathways and alternative gameplay styles.

I have to agree. FEs anymore are becoming more like a rail shooter with a narrator.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    sneaking is the part you do before you start shooting.... also we don't actually know what Rodek's original plan was because we get found out right about the time we find Martok. Then we ditch whatever the plan was and massacre the witnesses. Quite frankly, if given an option, I'd have chosen massacre anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i would've chosen massacre too...stealth is a lot more fun in ESO - especially with access to the blade of woe; one-hit-kills on undetected targets galore​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Q: The jumpsuits vanish suddenly and I'm back in uniform and unrestrained?
    A: Garak does speedy yet fine work. Watch closely, you see him peeking behind a corner.

Q: You keep your weapons somehow and somewhere on yourself at all times, so does your crew, even when your facing the wall for a check?
    Simple explanation: Rodek kept all of that stuff in a portable transporter buffer, similar to the ones the Hazard Team is using in the Elite Force games.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    szim wrote: »

Yah like i said in another thread..or was it this one meh, it felt like his VA was phoned in far to subdued .
    edited July 2017
    sneaking is the part you do before you start shooting.... also we don't actually know what Rodek's original plan was because we get found out right about the time we find Martok. Then we ditch whatever the plan was and massacre the witnesses. Quite frankly, if given an option, I'd have chosen massacre anyways.

It takes a whole lot of goodwill to justify the "stealth" aspect of this mission. Nobody says it was bad or anything, but it's not stealth gameplay just because a NPC says "we stealth now" and then we just shoot anything like the mission before that.

This mission tries to stell a story with many cutscenes and a very strict narrative, at the expense of the player having literally nothing to do - you just get dragged along and press f as well as "fire everything" - the whole mission could have been a cutscene or story blog and that's a pity. What irked me the most was that I literally couldn't even get through the doors before I walked to every console Martok mentioned and execute the steps to "overcome" the defenses in that precise order - it was unnecessary to let me walk to every console when I never had a choice how to progress in the first place - the narrow map layout doesn't even let me so much as spread my boffs out, we just plow through the whole thing in a tight, deadly ball of yawn and kill everything.

This is is the biggest problem I have with this episode - it feels extremely forced on every level.

By the way, I forgot to even adress the Jem'Hadar - his inevitable death would have been dramatic if he had stuck with us for another episode or so, not die within minutes after being introduced to us. Again, just because Martok says he's the best bud he had in here or Rodek saying that we do stealth now doesn't make it relatable to the player who hasn't a part in any of this.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    excuse me, i had plenty to do trying to keep my fuzzy TRIBBLE from blowing up in the middle of an expanding metreon fireball!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.