test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should Retrain Tokens be retired permanently from the game? [Yes.]

In some recent interviews, it's been stated that the developers want players to access the skill tree more often. You know what? I'd like to, as well. I remember playing Guild Wars 1 and rerolling my attributes and entire skillbar every few days, just to try new things. Great game due to its freedom and horizontal progression. STO could learn a lot from it.

Unfortunately, we can't freely explore the skill tree. The only culprit: retrain tokens. This is an archaic MMO mechanic meant to nickle and dime players every time they want to try something new, or just to do so when they accidentally double clicked the wrong skill. It doesn't matter how many free retrains are thrown the players' way; they will always be a limited resource, meaning you're punished for not heavily researching your build beforehand. Experimentation is not allowed, and funneling players into a security net of overall meta sameness occurs as a result. It also necessitates giving players another free token any time there's a change at all to the skill tree.

Normally I'd present something like this as a "What's your opinion" topic. But I'll take a safe, hard stance on this and say this system needs to be removed from the game, entirely and forever. I understand the desire to monetize where you can, but the skill tree is the core to every build. And the fact that players cannot change this easily (hear me out on this Cryptic) also means that players cannot begin the process of trying new builds and ships. If they could, that leads to a much wider issue for the player to complete their build, which leads to more monetization opportunities as the amount of gear they foresee themselves requiring widens. Not fewer. You're actually costing yourself money by retaining this outdated mechanic, in addition to defeating your own internal goals, along with outright attacking every player's experience with your system.

Give the player more of a chance to explore every aspect of your system, and it will lead to a wider variety of potential paths - both gameplay and monetized - for both parties.

Comments

• kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    I vote NO, due to new players using these if they made a mistake.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    With a real money cost, I treat the skill tree as set it and forget it. Most of my captains get a general purpose build, definite alts that get parked get builds to create training manuals, and a couple have been built around the ultimate, but I never change or experiment.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I rarely run out of respec tokens. What I could live without is having to confirm EVERY.SINGLE.POINT as I spend it. That's just obnoxious and indefensible.

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yes, retrain tokens should removed from the game completely. If you made a mistake in selecting your skill or Cryptic makes significant changes to the game mechanics, then too bad. Either deal with it or delete the character and create a new one. Grow some balls.

mr-burns-wallpaper.gif.scaled1000.jpg?quality=100&w=650

• arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Make it an EC charge that increased slightly with every retrain the character does.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    The system should allow for a single 'Commit' button, for all skills. I suggested such, last year; got a lot of mumbo jumbo returned from Bort, as to why it couldn't be done. Should be done anyway.

P.S, Did a respec today, as Cryptic made my 'skills invalid' the other day. Turns out I still had 10 tokens left somehow. So, i fine-tuned stuff today. Then the system asked me 'Do you want to use free respec token?' or 'Use respec token?' Duh. Guess which one I chose!? :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    NO! Given the nerfs this season respecing was darn near mandatory!
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    What do you propose to make up for the lost revenue from them?

Assumes they're being used in the first place. I don't have any numbers--nor do I know where to get them. Do you have anything to show how much revenue comes from them? That would make it easier to evaluate and respond, 'cause right now, I got nothin'.
    boldly-watched.png
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I could deal with it being reduced to a Energy credit sink, or dil cost sink for retaining. Though I would not mind being able to buy additional tree load-outs that you could switch between on the fly.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I don't know--were it not for the low number of weapons slots I would gladly upgrade my 23rd-century Utility cruiser. I might be willing to part with some coin (EC at the very least) to do that.
    boldly-watched.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They said when they did the revamp that they would look into seeing if they could have just one commit at the end instead of each POINT. You know like they used to do with Skills 1.0.......Cue tumbleweed stage left.

Commit at end and Skill Tree Loadouts is all that is needed. PERIOD.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gannadenegannadene Member Posts: 81 Arc User

For one, I don't think they'll be losing much of any revenue at all. How many tokens do you buy a year? Most players find a single build to commit to, lock it down and just work around it, then never use the skill tree ever again, unless they absolutely have to.

I also pointed out that allowing people to explore the build system will in itself lead to more monetization options, as people need to buy C-Store consoles and the like to widen the total of their build options.
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    have 4 free demos that last 48 hours. after the timer has run out. you select to retrain. or return to previous.

you could buy more demos every 3 weeks for EC
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    System ate all the respec tokens I saved up over the years. All I got left is the freebie they gave everyone when they revamped the system and wiped everyones toons. Heck, I played for months without even rebuilding my toons, and it still wasn't difficult with all the rep traits and gear I had.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    arliekkos wrote: »
    Make it an EC charge that increased slightly with every retrain the character does.

This! make it cost like 1 million EC to re-train, and make all existing re-train tokens redeemable for 2 million EC and then retire the retrain tokens.

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    How about having a system where you can buy "loadout slots" for your tree, but if you switch to a new loadout you have a cooldown before you can switch to another saved one?

Kinda like how you can buy loadout slots for your ships.
    You can only edit a skill tree slot that is not currently in use.

Example Setup:

Skill Tree Loadout:
    - Science based Space, Kit Based Ground
    - engineering based space, Weapon Kill Ground
    - Tact based apace, defense based ground

So if you are playing and you switch ships to a Sc cruiser you may want to use your 1st loadout, then later you switch tot he tact loud out for tact vessel.

Add in a expiring penalty for changeing it, something like a 30 min penalty "buff" that restricts you from changing it until the goes away.

Trade in your respect tokens for extra slots and charge Zen for each additional slots.

give each player 2 default slots.

They would make a killing on the extra Zen sales for this. and everyone would be able to esily fine tune to their play style and easily try new things.

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    They said when they did the revamp that they would look into seeing if they could have just one commit at the end instead of each POINT. You know like they used to do with Skills 1.0.......Cue tumbleweed stage left.

Commit at end and Skill Tree Loadouts is all that is needed. PERIOD.

Ooo, I missed that memo. :) Would be nice if they finally changed their minds on it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User

I actually think they will gain from other revenue sources by sacrificing this one. I for example passed on a lot of ships because I am heavily invested on science and torpedoes for my skill tree. The same goes for lockbox items and traits.

If not make retrains cost EC instead of Zen, then at least add skill loadouts we can purchase.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Yes eliminate the respec tokens, I have a number of respec tokens saved up from leveling over the years and I would gladly give them up for gone if we could respec for free or ec. As it is now I set it and forget it.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck