test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mirror event AFK

Comments

• Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    I can see that, but, the powers that be can just as well up the difficulty in other ways.
    Right now they PROMOTE leeching, which, in my humble opinion, simply is wrong (autism for the win).

These folks prevent me to enjoy the game, as I refuse to work for these leeches.
    But that's me, of course...
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Best advice I can give you is to join a private community consisting of likeminded players. There you can play undisturbed or at least get aid for pug runs.

We have very few rules in mine and see *not* to AFK on purpose during a teamed PvE match as a taken for granted thingy more than a rule.

Write me an in-game mail and I invite you to our communitie’s chat. Time would tell if you sit well with us and we sit well with you.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Why make yet another thread of these?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    @peterconnorfirst I am already part of a fleet, which I am extremely loyal to, is this an issue, good sir?

@meimeitoo Because it's an ongoing problem, of course!
    Quite logical and very simple, ainnit, Miss?
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    How noble would it be to have a noble Cardassian AFK in this noble endeavor. It would be glorious. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kiksken wrote: »
    @meimeitoo Because it's an ongoing problem, of course!
    Quite logical and very simple, ainnit, Miss?

Um, no. Logical would be to discuss an ongoing problem in an ongoing thread. :P

@baddmoonrizin
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    There is already a AFK penalty system in place, though it seems to punish false positives more than it actually prevents "leeching".

I personally don't have a problem with them, for example if people AFK during MI it's perfectly legitimate as the mission design is clumsy (it doesn't require any action on the player's part, nothing you do makes a difference. If losing the station was actually a fail condition for example things would be different). If you are truly bothered by them either play private or join a channel or fleet, in PUGs you will always meet individuals that influence the dynamic of the game.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,338 Community Moderator
    yvD8BVX.png

Thread: LEECHES!!! (SKIPPING PLAYERS, PLAYERS THAT TAKE NO ACTION IN GAME, PASSIVE PLAYERS) @kiksken
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    kiksken wrote: »
    @peterconnorfirst I am already part of a fleet, which I am extremely loyal to, is this an issue, good sir?

I was not suggesting to join one of my fleets but my communitie’s chat which we use for PvE team-ups. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Almost 5 years ago I was invited to a fake PvP match in Shanty Town. Apparently players exploited huge amounts of rewards out of it which were originally intended to make PvP worthwhile for toon progression in Star Trek Online. Of course the rewards were removed as a result. The community demonstrated that it could not handle it and the past four years I play a game that has no noteworthy PvP activity at all.
    The PvP rewards were not removed, they are still there. People stopped doing PvP for dil because CCA/ISA is now easier and faster.
    You guys may embarrass yourself in private AFK matches all you want and come up with whatever nonsense to justify it. I just hope for the health of general PvE that your attitude has no negative game wide consequences in the long run.
    If players skipping the optionals in Mirror Hell would convince Cryptic to stop making time-gated autowin missions, that would be an overwhelmingly positive consequence. Yet another good reason to skip them.

But considering this issue has been whined about every Mirror event for years and they just made the most absolutely 100% autowin mission that's even theoretically possible for First Contact Day...all signs point to no. :disappointed:
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    warpangel wrote: »
    If players skipping the optionals in Mirror Hell would convince Cryptic to stop making time-gated autowin missions, that would be an overwhelmingly positive consequence. Yet another good reason to skip them.

Problem is that it wouldn’t. The queue list is filled with time gated mission which have integrated DPS fail conditions for elite and remain vastly ignored by just about everybody as result. Anything cryptic will do about these “skipping optionals” (if that’s how we rationalize AFKing now) will likely hurt only those which are at least trying to play. We had fail conditions in advanced for the better part of a year which led to the PvE exodus after DR.

If cryptic is supposed to learn any lessons about mirror event then not playing it at all is the only course of action. AFKing through it is hypocritical bull that will only make things worse for those who have the intention to play I'm afraid.
    animated.gif
  • Options

Problem is that it wouldn’t. The queue list is filled with time gated mission which have integrated DPS fail conditions for elite and remain vastly ignored by just about everybody as result. Anything cryptic will do about these “skipping optionals” (if that’s how we rationalize AFKing now) will likely hurt only those which are at least trying to play. We had fail conditions in advanced for the better part of a year which led to the PvE exodus after DR.

If cryptic is supposed to learn any lessons about mirror event then not playing it at all is the only course of action. AFKing through it is hypocritical bull that will only make things worse for those who have the intention to play I'm afraid.
    Where's the downside in that? You do understand I want them to make those objectives mandatory, yes? I liked the fail conditions after DR and I wish they were brought back. Everywhere.

I'm not afraid of challenge. If Cryptic comes up with something hard for the next event, I'll be happy. If I win I'll be happy I achieved something and if I lose I'll be happy to have something to aspire for.

And if that makes things worse for people who currently have the no-requirements, everything-optional, guaranteed autowin mission that they want and still have to whine over other people not taking the optional distractions that reward a few extra marks as seriously as they do (and really, people even whined about it during First Contact Day, where none of the players' actions affected the rewards at all)...they can blame themselves for raising a stink over the "problem."

As it is, I'm playing the Mirror event the way it's written. The mission has a timer to wait out with optional things to do if you want then a dreadnought to kill, so that's exactly what I do. The optional things are optional and don't give a reward that interests me, so I don't go out of my way to chase after them. The only "hypocritical bull" here is people demanding others be subject to requirements as to what optional things they must do, while they themselves be free play how they want and always guaranteed win.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Perhaps the parent should learn what hypocrisy is before accusing people of it.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Dont afk pugs.. there ARE premade groups just for afk.. do it in those groups not in pugs as the expectations are different. I have played with both and I actively participate in pugs runs. If I decide on alt 4 I want to be lazy that shouldn't penalize other people.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    The so-called "Lazy Player" does not equate to a "Lazy Person". Players, and people in general, tend to go the path of least resistance (whatever is easier is done rather than what is "difficult").

The Developers will not fix this "feature" in Mirror Invasion because they are too focused on the next project and the next money making package. Unless this "feature" directly impacts the STO economy or PWE/Cryptics revenue, this will be permanent.

I do agree that it would be "polite" if players were to AFK in private groups. When you have low DPS players attempting at a level they are out classed, there really is no point in doing anything else but AFK. As I mentioned in my previous post, marks are rewarded based on effort. Most players are only interested in acquiring the Multidimensional Transporter for the new toy and 50k Dil, which is why AFK is beneficial to those players.

Bottom line, players will play any game the way the want regardless of consideration for other players. This has been the constant through out the life of STO and will continue to remain until the game ends. If you have the need to "play by the rules", go private with others who share those same values. Otherwise, play it by ear.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    If losing the station was actually a fail condition for example things would be different).
    Oh, they'd be different, alright: AFK would become the ONLY way, because as far as the "don't destroy the station" victory condition is concerned, it's a game of Don't Wake The Llama. If the station getting destroyed was a fail condition, upgrading the station or churning the horde would be a BIG NO NO, as doing this all but guarantees station destruction as the station proceeds to spam the pulse wave and aggro the entire map, or the PLAYERS aggro the entire map dashing around trying to close rifts. The only sensible strategy would become parking over the station and picking off the stragglers while leaving the horde the hell alone.
    Well, that would at least be more interesting than just doing whatever until the inevitable timed victory.

Although I do suppose pugs would be even slower to catch on to that than they were the late 10% rule.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Had some decent runs since the rift spawn tweak with numbers closed in the mid 60's.

I have however noticed an increase in the playerx and left the game, playerx has joined the game, playerx and left the game, playerx has joined the game, playerx and left the game, playerx has joined the game, playerx and left the game, playerx has joined the game, playerx and left the game, playerx has joined the game, playerx and left the game, playerx has joined the game getting spammed for around 10 minutes at which point they appear and wander into a group to die and sit dead til the rifts are closed and dread needs killed.

This is worse than the lockbox "winner" spam as it's always present on the screen. But surely that is something that should trigger a booting from the match as they're never shown as actually being part of the group whereas someone that simply tabs out for ten minutes does show in group and there's no spam.

hmm, can we report them for spamming I wonder?

I've also noticed that ignoring a leech doesnt stop them being grouped with you as I reckon it should and that there is one germanic fleet that seems to have a lot of leechers as members. At least I assume its a german fleet as the name mentions it. Obviously too lazy to make their own premade to afk the event.
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Events are supposed to be a fun distraction from the usual grind.

I used to play advanced for a bit of a challenge. It was like having a job. I then went to normal so it would be less like stress & more like fun. Then they must have felt like we needed to still "work" for our rewards -as if our time spent playing on any number of toons for weeks on end wasn't enough incentive to earn a few feeble marks - so they made the rifts spawn like crazy & have us buzzing about in circles for their amusement.

When the game gets like this, people get interested in other games. You might want to consider keeping normal normal, and place challenges on higher tiers so folks who might choose to enjoy the simpler version have a choice & are not pushed into something they won't like doing. And if anyone wants a challenge, that'll be there, too.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I have no issues with players that want to afk thru the stf in a pre-made, since then the group is set up for that fact with all in it knowing what is going to happen. Afking in a stf where many players are actually trying to actually do the mission is a far different situation, as you are basically leaving them a player/ship down an making them need to do more work than if all five players were actively participating.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    @peterconnorfirst

AFKing until the boss round is no different than flying a Science ship around to ONLY close rifts and not firing a shot, or flying the Destroyer around the station hub shooting bad guys and not closing one single rift...

I used to get overwhelmed by mirror ships in PUG groups because only three of us were trying our darnedest and two players were sitting out full AFK, even through the boss stage, not doing a thing until the queue ended and running off with rewards I freaking earned for them...

To me, allowing the AFK groups means I can actually count on having five try-hard players in my PUG groups!

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I finally ran into an AFKer. At least he was sort of AFK. While sitting well outside the deflector rings doing nothing at all, he mocked the rest of us when the station fell to 0.

When I told him to shut up or help, he said the classic line "Lrn2Play Noob"
  • Options
    discojer wrote: »
    I finally ran into an AFKer. At least he was sort of AFK. While sitting well outside the deflector rings doing nothing at all, he mocked the rest of us when the station fell to 0.

If he was chatting with you, he obviously wasn't AFK.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

Thanks Warp....that made me laugh this morning.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    @peterconnorfirst

AFKing until the boss round is no different than flying a Science ship around to ONLY close rifts and not firing a shot, or flying the Destroyer around the station hub shooting bad guys and not closing one single rift...

I used to get overwhelmed by mirror ships in PUG groups because only three of us were trying our darnedest and two players were sitting out full AFK, even through the boss stage, not doing a thing until the queue ended and running off with rewards I freaking earned for them...

To me, allowing the AFK groups means I can actually count on having five try-hard players in my PUG groups!

CM

I actually DO NOT mind folks in Sci ships flying around and closing rifts...it takes too long to do in my BoP. So....yes, if you see any of my BoP's or my Rom's Bug Ship in a MI run...please feel free to give me a hand closing rifts, so I can concentrate on flanking and activation of buffs. Thank you.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    I prefer these event's like arena of Stompteck. Accountwide unlocks, and not to long dailly grinds.
    This doesnt force people to grind themselves to death on alts, and less and less enjoying content, or jsut running with less chars.

We had much events and the shorter breach event made it easier to alt, but i missed the older breach event, cause it was more of a race for quick unlocks this time. I dont mind a 15 min non timegated event dailly from now and then for a few days for an accountwidde unlock.
    Last time my enjoyment of mirror went down, with manny afk in runs. I was less geared and less skilled to do the advanced run then. (Don't wanna bother other players with a noob in advanced).
    A good que gives me fun, when its limited, i want to run it again next time it comes, and being rewarded with some shiny (withouth being if-you-miss-this-item-your-build-fails stuff from it)

This year im less annoyed by afkers since they organize runs as a group, instead of just queing up in my runs.

Soon Risa si around again, and i can relax without dailly dragging routines, no use to pull more alts through Mirror. Dil i get easier by doing TRIBBLE and dailly CCA. This way mirror stays fun for me, and less of a commitment. I can run the event, and have fun with other stuff.

Again i complain about being spoiled in events since last Risa event, that i have no good rest in between breaks.

"Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • Options

Garak: Are you sure that's the point, Doctor?
    Bashir: Of course. What else could it be?
    Garak: That they were both AFK.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    So try spamming reports to the GM? :-P

• Options
    Some people have clearly come to the conclusion that AFK means "not doing what I want." But of course, that would ne NDWIW. ;)