Install Arc
Options

Mirror event AFK

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It's a sad day, for this game, when AFK-ing becomes the norm. The contorted rationalizing, about saving the station. really is repellent. You're robbing people of their Marks.

The reward being on individual characters really pushes people to use all their alts to complete this mission. I know of people with 20-30 character doing this mission all day. While I don't condone the afk peeps I certainly understand it.

Why, with that many toons, I can understand it too, kinda. Still, I really wish Cryptic started doing something about AFK-ing in general. Their current system doesn't work properly at all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    It's a sad day, for this game, when AFK-ing becomes the norm. The contorted rationalizing, about saving the station. really is repellent. You're robbing people of their Marks.

The reward being on individual characters really pushes people to use all their alts to complete this mission. I know of people with 20-30 character doing this mission all day. While I don't condone the afk peeps I certainly understand it.

People like that (I had 15) can get by just fine grinding under-fed alts through on NORMAL difficulty.

"I am an Advanced caliber player" is incompatible with "It's too hard to bag the optionals without letting the station die". You may pick ONE.

So you're okay with people going afk on normal, but not advanced? Is that what you're saying?

I am not ok with idle parasitism ever, at all, under any circumstances. I expect people to put forth maximum effort when their actions affect others.
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    lopequil wrote: »
    It is toast on advanced AFK runs.
    No its not. If you sit around 60km away AFK and don't engage the Mirror ships then the mirror ships will not engage the station and you get a 10/10 score.

In advanced your robbing people of their marks by shooting the mirror ships and getting the stations knocked down below 10/10. You get more marks for the AFK method then you do shooting the mirror ships and having the stationed damaged

Shooting Mirror ships, when you know the station is going to die anyway, is kinda pointless. Closing rifts, however, and like > 40 or so, is quite profitable for your Marks.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

Why, with that many toons, I can understand it too, kinda. Still, I really wish Cryptic started doing something about AFK-ing in general. Their current system doesn't work properly at all.

That's exactly right... Cryptic has promoted this and has created this situation. The playerbase at large will always choose the path of least resistance and right now afk mia is the path of least resistance.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,338 Community Moderator
    Ef5wR90.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    AFK to save the starbase. Active play killing it?

There really IS something strange going on with this mission.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    AFK to save the starbase. Active play killing it?

There really IS something strange going on with this mission.
    Agreed.

It's a weird little mission all right.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    “Shooting Mirror ships, when you know the station is going to die anyway, is kinda pointless. Closing rifts, however, and like > 40 or so, is quite profitable for your Marks.”
    It’s more profitable to sit AFK and keep the station alive then close rifts and have the stations killed. Getting 16 rifts closed in the end section and the star base 10/10 on an AFK run is far more profitable than your 40rifts with the star base being killed.

[“I am not ok with idle parasitism ever, at all, under any circumstances. I expect people to put forth maximum effort when their actions affect others.”
    It’s not always idle parasitism. What you are doing is far worse than the AFKers. There is nothing wrong with forming an AFK group and joining an AFK group and then going active is just as bad if not worse than the players you are complaining about.

There are two types of AFK players and its unfair for you lump them altogether. Some AFK players are bad, some are being smart and its perfectly reasonable.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    You are assuming 100% failure at everything but saving the station because that services your argument. Reality does not bear out those results.
  • Options
    You are assuming 100% failure at everything but saving the station because that services your argument. Reality does not bear out those results.
    I am speaking from experience on advanced. Most PUG runs fail; very few keep the station at 10/10. There is nothing wrong with forming a pre made AFK group to run MIA efficiently. If you close the rifts at the end and keep the station alive while AFK then you get near max rewards. An extra 1% marks or whatever tiny number it is for doing the first part active isn’t worth the risk of damage to the star base which makes you lose more than you would have gained being AFK.

Now I can understand not liking someone going AFK in a active run. But I don't see what's wrong with arranging a pre made AFK group. The first 10mins are just not worth the effort, its a waste of time closing rifts. If you want to waste your time that's your prerogative but its not fair for you to have a go at those of us who want to form AFK groups.
  • Options
    haxxsaw#9362 haxxsaw Member Posts: 77 Arc User

This is well stated.

There is absolutely no excuse or reason to sit afk in something that was intended for all members of the group to function together.

Every single time I get placed in a group where someone wants to sit and do nothing, I will leave. I do not care if I get a leaver penalty....I will not help someone get something for doing nothing.

People, if you do not want to do anything, don't join the que where most people are wanting to do what is right.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Well if both parties don't want to have to take the time or effort to create a pre-made group. Which honestly neither should have to in ways as it is a public que. Than maybe just finally they should give us the option to have a personal black-list that allows us to cater what type of players we get in a public que like we can with ignore.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,338 Community Moderator
    Just a thought, but perhaps that's the trick. It's a MIRROR event, so maybe we're supposed to do the opposite of we'd normally do? LOL :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Admiral Quinn, Chancellor J'mpok, and D'Tan should convene drumhead courts martials against all Characters that have gone AWOL on a Mission to which they were assigned.

King Leonidas at Thermopylae: O Spartans, let us retire to the Isle of Skyros while the Persians move through the Hot Gates. It is more efficient to save our homeland.

The Plaque at Thermopylae: GO TELL THE SPARTANS PASSERBY, THAT HERE DEFIANT TO THEIR LAWS WE HID
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Reading that reminds me of this:

'You say yes, I say no
    You say stop and I say go go go, oh no
    You say goodbye and I say hello
    Hello hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello
    Hello hello
    I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello
    I say high, you say low
    You say why and I say I don't know, oh no
    You say goodbye and I say hello...'

It's always the opposite.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Just did a premade MIA-AFK, to verify the outlandish claims made here. It was a total bust. Station went down to 1/10, and I got a grand-total of 56 Marks.

So, firmly debunked that "It's better to be AFK" junk.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I think you have to leave the aggro radius before a single ship spawns for the 10/10 to work, if you literally AFK and sit at the spawn you trigger the mobs to advance on the station, but I'm not entirely sure
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I think you have to leave the aggro radius before a single ship spawns for the 10/10 to work, if you literally AFK and sit at the spawn you trigger the mobs to advance on the station, but I'm not entirely sure

I asked how it was done, and we immediately flew away, sans drawing aggro (to way beyond the draw distance of the station even).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Just did a premade MIA-AFK, to verify the outlandish claims made here. It was a total bust. Station went down to 1/10, and I got a grand-total of 56 Marks.

Its not an outlandish claim just because you did it wrong. As soon as you are allowed you turn around 180 and fly directly away fast to around 60km away before the ships spawn and don't drop pets and mines. As long as everyone does that you can then sit AFK safely without the base being damaged. A lot of the pre made AFK groups do this on advanced. If done correctly you get over 200 marks for the first run of the day.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Totally understandable players with multiple toons afking this event. What is it 15 mins to run around shooting Terran ships and closing rifts ?. Come you're 3rd/4th toon zzz... zzz...
    I started to play the event mainly to grab some Competitive Marks as the Competitive PvE/P maps are not my thing, but ! I think I mentioned this before come the 3rd day I was sick of the Event and have dropped it, and just decided to collect the daily mark box from Borg Red Alerts. Much easier to run a 3/4 min mission across 22 characters than a close to 20 min mission across 22 characters.

People complain about how quick and easy ISA is but how many do you think you play that map if it were increased to a flat 15 mins no matter the DPS/skill level of a team ?.

Mirror Event and many of the Space stf's aren't engaging enough to keep people's attention and keep them playing if it drags on for an extended period of time. Voth, Terran, Iconian, Temporal aren't played that much in the public queues (Terran and Iconian for me due to poor mark returns).

Repetition is the norm in any game once you reach end game but do you really want to spend 15 plus minutes in a single match repeating the same action over and over ?
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options

Its not an outlandish claim just because you did it wrong. As soon as you are allowed you turn around 180 and fly directly away fast to around 60km away before the ships spawn and don't drop pets and mines. As long as everyone does that you can then sit AFK safely without the base being damaged. A lot of the pre made AFK groups do this on advanced. If done correctly you get over 200 marks for the first run of the day.

You missed the part where I said: "I asked how it was done, and we immediately flew away, sans drawing aggro (to way beyond the draw distance of the station even)."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    You know you've hit rock bottom when there is the correct way to cower.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I totally understand people wanting to afk this event and I have no problems with people who form premades to just afk. Hell, I don't even care much about afkers in my pugs. But when people start to make up ways how to afk correctly and berate others if they don't afk that way, it gets super silly.
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    Your fun doesn't matter, instead metrics do : afkers are good for metrics, as well as active players and this game desperately needs metrics so ... deal with it ;-)
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    Your fun doesn't matter, instead metrics do : afkers are good for metrics, as well as active players and this game desperately needs metrics so ... deal with it ;-)

I'll ask again, metrics matter to whom, exactly?! PWE? To delude themselves?! Who is the recipient of these metrics? And why does Cryptic care what they think?! (If not, see above, to delude themselves).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    nabreeki wrote: »
    People act like pacifism -- a true ethos of strength and courage -- doesn't exist in the 25th century. In fact, there is something honorable about standing up for long-held principles and virtues against common opinion (and common minds). Ghandi could have probably fought for South Asian independence using sticks, guns, or whatever he had on hand, and could still have won given the vastly outnumbered British forces. But he didn't. He stood firm in his convictions, and we celebrate him to this day.
    Leaving a defense-less station to be be swarmed and crippled by people who don't listen to reason when you can do something about that (even without firing a shot, like waiting for them to get away from the portal so you can close it safely for you and them) isn't pacifism, that's cowardice and failure to rescue.
    I am a firm believer in IDIC
    I noticed that... but only when it suits you. For the most recent example:
    Those pictures are large, stupid, and if not "fap" material, then inane, offering nothing to the thread aside from an unnecessarily obnoxious way of saying "I agree."
    in reference to Smokebailey's self-made pictures.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    edited June 2017

You missed the part where I said: "I asked how it was done, and we immediately flew away, sans drawing aggro (to way beyond the draw distance of the station even)."
    I didn’t miss that. You said you debunked it because you did 1 failed AFK run. Well that’s not debunking it that’s your group doing it wrong.

The rest of us are managing to get 200+ mark AFK runs without a problem. So clearly it is better to AFK it on advanced then wasting time defending the station.

• Options
    edited June 2017

I didn’t miss that. You said you debunked it because you did 1 failed AFK run. Well that’s not debunking it that’s your group doing it wrong.

Um, no. 1 white raven proves the existence of white ravens. So, at best, it often works, but not always. And you also missed the part where I said we didn't draw any aggro (including pets, which were not deployed).
    3lsZz0w.jpg