test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Rough Beast

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
The Tzenkethi Crusade continues, but what will they do when they encounter a creature unlike any they've seen before? Find out in our latest fiction blog.

Full details here:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10439753

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Uuli...never heard of them - must be an original species​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Could these Uuli be related to The Companion that was seen in the ToS episode, Metamorphosis?

Guess we'll find out.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,524 Arc User
    @ambassadorkael#6946 - is there a master page somewhere with links to all of the story posts by season / arc?

If not, that would be a nice thing to have. I'll be playing through the Iconian arc soon with my TOS captain and it would be nice to read the stories of the war in between playing episodes.

For bonus points, the page could say when in the season something takes place, that is whether to read story X before or after playing episode Y.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    Germans in space. Let's find out if this is a mere namedrop or the introduction of a new friend or foe.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,035 Arc User
    ...is there a master page somewhere with links to all of the story posts by season / arc?
    It would indeed be nice to have these posts indexed on the main site, or available somewhere ingame.
    Until then, the STOwiki has a page that indexes them: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Tales_of_the_War
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    Nice blog, would have been better had y'all used a race from the shows such as the Metrons or something.

Don't see the need for these Uuli

Because the Tzenkethi could never pose a threat to the Metrons.
    The Uuli, at least, seem reasonably endangered by them.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    well, i'm really glad to see cryptic is continuing with its originality track - originality is something SORELY lacking in modern entertainment

i just hope this new species turns out more 'lukari' than 'deferi' in terms of community endearment​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    I really hope this is a side story and Cryptic doesnt put this race in-game. If they do, Cryptic has once again shown how terrible they are with dramatic timing. They've ruined almost every awesome story element early with a lame blog post. Sure the blogs are nice, but release them AFTER the new episode.
    These Uulians sound somewhat similar to the Caeliar from the Star Trek: Destiny novels by David Mack. I'm looking forward to seeing how this might turn out.
  • Options
    well, if they're cryptic's version of the caeliar, let's hope they don't wind up as mary sue-ish...catoms, anyone?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    At least they are non corporeal beings, i like that!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Germans in space. Let's find out if this is a mere namedrop or the introduction of a new friend or foe.
    Gestalt might be a German word, but at some point, the English language sneaked up on German in a dark alley, knocked it out, and took any loose words it could found in its pockets. Gestalt was one of them.

In German, the expression basically means "shape", though it could also refer to the verb (to shape/fashion/arrange). It seems in English the meaning is more that it's an object shaped from other elements, possibly based on the use of "Gestalt" in the psychological theory of the "Gestalttherapie".
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    Gestalt might be a German word, but at some point, the English language sneaked up on German in a dark alley, knocked it out, and took any loose words it could found in its pockets.
    Is there any language the English one has NOT done that to? :tongue:
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Gestalt might be a German word, but at some point, the English language sneaked up on German in a dark alley, knocked it out, and took any loose words it could found in its pockets. Gestalt was one of them.

In German, the expression basically means "shape", though it could also refer to the verb (to shape/fashion/arrange). It seems in English the meaning is more that it's an object shaped from other elements, possibly based on the use of "Gestalt" in the psychological theory of the "Gestalttherapie".

Thanks, I read the novels by David Mack and I never really understood how to translate it. Even Google wasn't very helpful here.
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Since speculation seems to be in order, here's mine:
    These are one and the same as the Cnidarians. Or at least they are related to the Cnidarians. The use of color displays as communication has to be a clue. And bear in mind that we were treated to those two Cnidarians in the very first FE of this new season. I'm guessing the Cnidarians are these "Gestalts", populated within by the individual Uuli.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    Since speculation seems to be in order, here's mine:
    These are one and the same as the Cnidarians. Or at least they are related to the Cnidarians. The use of color displays as communication has to be a clue. And bear in mind that we were treated to those two Cnidarians in the very first FE of this new season. I'm guessing the Cnidarians are these "Gestalts", populated within by the individual Uuli.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
    The Farpoint Cnidarians have always had the capacity to take on a more starship-like form, and seem to actually be living ships of some sort, not just giant spaceborne animals.
    In a previous mission, we even communicate with them via spectrographical modulation.
    To wit: The Uuli Cnidarian-like life themselves, and are the sentient aspect of the larger Farpoint Cnidarians. If the larger ship-form is any indication of their technology style, they are a semi-solid, or half-energy lifeform, and have very advanced biological and matter/energy conversion technologies, as they seem relatively disinterested in the crystals the Tzenkethi seem obsessed with.

Quick biology lesson: a cnidarian is a fancy word for a jellyfish. Jellyfish are gestalt animals, in that the entity itself is a conglomerated colony of living creatures that each serve a particular function as part of the whole jellyfish.
    Hence, the Farpoint Cnidarians are larger, more specialized aspects of the gestalt lifeform that is an Uuli.
  • Options
    drumcd74656drumcd74656 Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Quick biology lesson: a cnidarian is a fancy word for a jellyfish. Jellyfish are gestalt animals, in that the entity itself is a conglomerated colony of living creatures that each serve a particular function as part of the whole jellyfish.
    Hence, the Farpoint Cnidarians are larger, more specialized aspects of the gestalt lifeform that is an Uuli.

I believe you were thinking of a Portugese man o' war, which is a siphonophore, not a jellyfish. Siphonophores are colony creatures which fit your description of a gestalt. These are really cool critters that use entire organisms to make up for the lack of tissue/organ differentiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphonophorae

Cnidaria is a large phylum that also includes sea anemones, coral, hydra and box jellies.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sorceror01 wrote: »

I believe you were thinking of a Portugese man o' war, which is a siphonophore, not a jellyfish. Siphonophores are colony creatures which fit your description of a gestalt. These are really cool critters that use entire organisms to make up for the lack of tissue/organ differentiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphonophorae

Cnidaria is a large phylum that also includes sea anemones, coral, hydra and box jellies.

No, I was thinking about jellyfish.

From Wikipedia:
    Jellyfish or jellies[1] are softbodied, free-swimming aquatic animals with a gelatinous umbrella-shaped bell and trailing tentacles. The bell can pulsate to acquire propulsion and locomotion. The tentacles may be utilized to capture prey or defend against predators by emitting toxins in a painful sting. Jellyfish species are classified in the subphylum Medusozoa which makes up a major part of the phylum Cnidaria, although not all Medusozoa species are considered to be jellyfish.

The Portuguese Man O' War is also part of the Cnidaria phylum, but you are right, not all Cnidarians are colonial organisms, though the Man O' War is.
  • Options
    jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Great blog! I really enjoy the fiction blogs and the fact that Cryptic is making original content within the established Trek Universe, because I think that idea is a very Trek-like content creation approach :) Now I really can't wait for the next episode.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Gestalt might be a German word, but at some point, the English language sneaked up on German in a dark alley, knocked it out, and took any loose words it could found in its pockets.
    Is there any language the English one has NOT done that to? :tongue:
    Nope.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    Hate to point out out, but I think there's a "century" that should say "sentry" in there somewhere...

Otherwise, another good read! These are a lot of fun. Just wish they were in-game somewhere... As diplomatic communiqués or something...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    renegadeonlinerenegadeonline Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Hate to point out out, but I think there's a "century" that should say "sentry" in there somewhere...

Otherwise, another good read! These are a lot of fun. Just wish they were in-game somewhere... As diplomatic communiqués or something...

CM

Not entirely true, the word "Century" could also be used to describe a Military Division of Soldiers. Like in the ancient Roman era a Century would refer to a unit of 100 Soldiers. Though I could be speaking out of context, I didn't actually re-read the article before posting this.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 10,347 Community Moderator
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Could these Uuli be related to The Companion that was seen in the ToS episode, Metamorphosis?

^That's exactly what I was thinking the Uuli are: memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Companion

Since we are following on the heels of a TOS expansion, it would make sense, too.

I'm beginning to wonder whether these crystals that the Tzenkethi seem h*ll-bent on destroying are related to the Crystalline Entity. Perhaps offspring? What else could be such a major threat than a whole horde of Crystalline Entities eradicating all life in the galaxy?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »

CM

Not entirely true, the word "Century" could also be used to describe a Military Division of Soldiers. Like in the ancient Roman era a Century would refer to a unit of 100 Soldiers. Though I could be speaking out of context, I didn't actually re-read the article before posting this.

Yeah, a sentry of Science Gestalts would make little sense... a hundred Science Gestalts, on the other hand...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    ^That's exactly what I was thinking the Uuli are: memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Companion

Since we are following on the heels of a TOS expansion, it would make sense, too.

I'm beginning to wonder whether these crystals that the Tzenkethi seem h*ll-bent on destroying are related to the Crystalline Entity. Perhaps offspring? What else could be such a major threat than a whole horde of Crystalline Entities eradicating all life in the galaxy?
    We do have a clue. In the mission where we find that planet that the TOS Starfleet people fled to, it showed what seemed to be murals depicting some sort of growth cycle in the crystals. It didn't show much about what they turned into though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    blckheart731blckheart731 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    When I saw the word "Gestalt", my first thought was of The First Federation because the only ship we've seen of theirs, in The Corbomite Maneuver, was made up of what looks like a bunch of balls. And The First Federation home world recently appeared on the Alpha Quadrant map.