test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I am CrypticSpartan, the designer behind the rebalance, and I am here to answer your questions

crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
edited March 2017 in The Academy
As you all probably noticed, we've made a number of changes to mechanics on Tribble. I'm holding this AMA to answer any questions you have about how things work – either on your live server or on Tribble, such as “How does the [Over] modifier interact with this trait”, “What, if anything, is the difference between ‘Power Setting’ and ‘Subsystem Power’”, “What scales Feedback Pulse’s damage on the current state of Tribble”, etc etc.

Just as a heads up, though, while I'm going to continue reading the Tribble discussion threads and responding as appropriate, I can't post speculation about anything else that might be changed until there are patchnotes that detail those changes. I know, we all want to know how this is going to affect our favorite abilities, but I don't want to promise a change when it's not set in stone.

Thanks guys, and ask away!

Alright everyone, thank you for all the questions, comments, and insight. I am sorry I was not able to answer them all, but I am out of time. Best of luck to you all and happy flying. :)
Post edited by crypticspartan#0627 on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Well... I do have a question that isn't related to the balance pass...

First off though, it looks like Science is getting a buff and so is Engineering. I just want to say that I like that. While my main's a Tac, I do have Sci and Engie characters as well.

Anyways... I'd like to know a little bit more about the replacement Sci Captain ability, and how Subnuc will function as a BOff ability. How would a subnuc 1 be less effective than a subnuc 3? Just a general idea at least will work.

And for the non balance pass question: When will Tacofangs be unleashed on DS9? Station's showing its age. ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    The Subnucleonic Beam replacement with Deflector Overcharge is a big change. One could say it's needed, because SNB is really not that useful in PvE, but critically important in PvP. This dichotomy was never resolved so far.
    • How did you arrive at the conclusion that a new power could be the (only?) way, and how did you determine that it would be Deflector Overcharge?
    • Is there some math behind it that you use internally to predicts its effect and make the entire suite of captain abilities comparable between the classes?
    • Is there something that we should look out for when testing it?
    • Is there something you worry about what it could do? (For me the biggest stumbling blocks are that it still feels a bit like the benefits are narrowing in the Science Captains on Science ships, and that it's a replacement of a key identifying ability for my Science Captains, regardless of how powerful or not powerful they were in PvP and PvE respectively.)
    • Why is some of the buff a skill modifier, and another a percentage modifier? What "Categories" are the buffs (e.g. how do they stack with other buffs?)

Oh, and thanks for working on the rebalance. I don't know if it will work out, but it is nice to see Cryptic spending some real effort on it.

And extra tanks for the AMA and for the responses you provide elsewhere.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... I do have a question that isn't related to the balance pass...

First off though, it looks like Science is getting a buff and so is Engineering. I just want to say that I like that. While my main's a Tac, I do have Sci and Engie characters as well.

Anyways... I'd like to know a little bit more about the replacement Sci Captain ability, and how Subnuc will function as a BOff ability. How would a subnuc 1 be less effective than a subnuc 3? Just a general idea at least will work.

And for the non balance pass question: When will Tacofangs be unleashed on DS9? Station's showing its age. ;)

Thank you for the feedback. :)

Subnucleonic Beam, in its current state on Tribble, significantly scales up the debuffs it leaves from rank 1 to rank 3. Subnucleonic Beam's effectiveness and the changes related to it becoming a Bridge Officer ability are all things I am paying very close attention to, however, so I cannot guarantee that its state on Tribble (or the state of anything else) is how it will go live.

I do not know what Tacofangs is currently up to, and I suspect that if I did I could not say.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    @crypticspartan#0627

About the plasmonic leech couldnt a drain build or even a moderate drain build bring the leech back inline to post nerf status? or did i miss something in the blog.

• Options
    skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    will Console versions be getting these changes as well?

or will it be held off? as the potential to change a lot on a early game version have the potential to scare many players off.

cheers
  • Options
    spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 244 Media Corps
    @crypticspartan#0627

About the plasmonic leech couldnt a drain build or even a moderate drain build bring the leech back inline to post nerf status? or did i miss something in the blog.

The changes prevent the Self Power Buff from scaling with DrainX. It's now capped at .75 Power per stack for 10 Stacks. No amount of DrainX can change that. DrainX still scales the drain to target portion on it though.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    spencerb96 wrote: »
    @crypticspartan#0627

The changes prevent the Self Power Buff from scaling with DrainX. It's now capped at .75 Power per stack for 10 Stacks. No amount of DrainX can change that. DrainX still scales the drain to target portion on it though.

Ok cool was wondering about that
  • Options
    The Subnucleonic Beam replacement with Deflector Overcharge is a big change. One could say it's needed, because SNB is really not that useful in PvE, but critically important in PvP. This dichotomy was never resolved so far.
    • How did you arrive at the conclusion that a new power could be the (only?) way, and how did you determine that it would be Deflector Overcharge?
    • Is there some math behind it that you use internally to predicts its effect and make the entire suite of captain abilities comparable between the classes?
    • Is there something that we should look out for when testing it?
    • Is there something you worry about what it could do? (For me the biggest stumbling blocks are that it still feels a bit like the benefits are narrowing in the Science Captains on Science ships, and that it's a replacement of a key identifying ability for my Science Captains, regardless of how powerful or not powerful they were in PvP and PvE respectively.)
    • Why is some of the buff a skill modifier, and another a percentage modifier? What "Categories" are the buffs (e.g. how do they stack with other buffs?)

Oh, and thanks for working on the rebalance. I don't know if it will work out, but it is nice to see Cryptic spending some real effort on it.

And extra tanks for the AMA and for the responses you provide elsewhere.

Thank you.

Subnucleonic Beam's effectiveness and the changes related to it becoming a Bridge Officer ability are all things I am paying very close attention to, however, so I cannot guarantee that its state on Tribble (or the state of anything else) is how it will go live.

I do have a few concerns about the Subnucleonic Beam change that stand out:
    • This noticeably biases Science Captains towards Science ships - all ships can easily make use of it, but it is much better at some than others. There is already some amount of precedent for this in all the careers, but this is the most clear-cut case yet.
    • This makes Science Captains less useful in PvP, and the bridge officer power will be especially strong there.
    • As a Bridge Officer Power, it is going to be difficult to make the Commander rank something desirable over the Lt. Commander rank without breaking the power, and its balance relative to Subnucleonic Carrier Wave is also a point of concern.

None of those are surprises; but that why I have put this out there with the initial set of changes and been asking for feedback.

There are two reasons that Exotic Damage and Healing are "Bonus" - 'Cat2', in player terms, and the control and drain are not. The first one is that we already have several sources of Bonus Damage and Bonus Healing; this means that these are not overpowered or unique. +50% Bonus Drain would mean that anyone who flies a drain build as not a science captain is completely outclassed by any science captain. Additionally, being Expertise means that it grants Control Resistance and Drain Resistance for the duration, which should help to make it more widely useful.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    yeah, talking about the [Over] mod is a good place to start, i think...why is a mod that is already near-universally considered one of the worst of the crafted mods not getting the benefit BO is getting that will buff further attacks after the overload fires, thereby making it even WORSE?

it's bad enough that anyone running a full [Over] setup on their ship is trading a mod that is constantly useful (like [Dmg], [CrtD] or [Pen]) for something that is only useful 2.5% of the time, but not getting EVERY buff BO is getting is, in my opinion, just lame

and don't even get me started on why [Over] doesn't trigger most things that BO does, but i can at least sort of understand why it doesn't​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    Will you be looking at the console pets at all (i.e. MVAM, saucer sep, areo shuttle, tec.) in this balance pass? It seems their performance in general is woeful and at the moment very broken.
  • Options
    Will you be looking at the console pets at all (i.e. MVAM, saucer sep, areo shuttle, tec.) in this balance pass? It seems their performance in general is woeful and at the moment very broken.

I know abstrusrejoinder has been working hard on gathering and passing on information so that the team can work on it. Fixing those issues are important, and fixing things is certainly a worthwhile step in a balance pass as I fixed a number of issues while balancing things, but them being fixed is irrelevant of us balancing.
    Is there a particular reason then that you have dismissed (or have you not?) the idea of giving something to Subnucleonic Beam that makes it more powerful in PvE that deliberately only targets PVE enemies? In PvP, SNB is basically a debuff to resistances, shield hardness and damage, because players get all of this from powers that SNB removes. In PvE, NPCs don't get this from powers (mostly), so maybe it should just provide similar penalties? Or would that seem to redundant with Sensor Scan?

That idea has been floated around. At this point I will confidently state that the precise state of Tribble is not what will make its way to Holodeck. Thank you for bringing it up.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    • This noticeably biases Science Captains towards Science ships - all ships can easily make use of it, but it is much better at some than others. There is already some amount of precedent for this in all the careers, but this is the most clear-cut case yet.
    • This makes Science Captains less useful in PvP, and the bridge officer power will be especially strong there.
    • As a Bridge Officer Power, it is going to be difficult to make the Commander rank something desirable over the Lt. Commander rank without breaking the power, and its balance relative to Subnucleonic Carrier Wave is also a point of concern.

None of those are surprises; but that why I have put this out there with the initial set of changes and been asking for feedback.

Did you also expect a problem of players like me having a certain loss of self-identity with their characters when you replace one of its innate powers? :)
    Is there a particular reason then that you have dismissed (or have you not?) the idea of giving something to Subnucleonic Beam that makes it more powerful in PvE that deliberately only targets PVE enemies? In PvP, SNB is basically a debuff to resistances, shield hardness, damage and speed, because players get all of this from powers that SNB removes. In PvE, NPCs don't get this from powers (mostly), so maybe it should just provide them as classic penalties? Or would that seem too redundant with Sensor Scan?
    There are two reasons that Exotic Damage and Healing are "Bonus" - 'Cat2', in player terms, and the control and drain are not. The first one is that we already have several sources of Bonus Damage and Bonus Healing; this means that these are not overpowered or unique. +50% Bonus Drain would mean that anyone who flies a drain build as not a science captain is completely outclassed by any science captain. Additionally, being Expertise means that it grants Control Resistance and Drain Resistance for the duration, which should help to make it more widely useful.
    I see your point, but it might make it not impressive enough, too. It's a delicate balance.

You didn't let it also buff hull healing because there is no thematic link to deflector overcharge? I mention that because buffing hull healing would also help it on Cruisers (not that there are that many healboats in PvE, I suppose) at least, and ultimately, pretty much everyone has both hull and shield heals (even if they are from passives), and so you'd really give something to every ship class. But the offensive buffs will always stick out (at least based on our current "DPS meta") in the end, I suppose.

EDIT: The forum did eat my post for a while after an editing attempt, and I rewrote it, so spartan already replied to part of this post before the post existed, so to speak. :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    With the update to hangar pets do you plan on doing anything to improve the AI so that they listen better to hangar pet commands?
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options

Did you also expect a problem of players like me having a certain loss of self-identity with their characters when you replace one of its innate powers? :)

I see your point, but it might make it not impressive enough, too. It's a delicate balance.

You didn't let it also buff hull healing because there is no thematic link to deflector overcharge? I mention that because buffing hull healing would also help it on Cruisers (not that there are that many healboats in PvE, I suppose) at least, and ultimately, pretty much everyone has both hull and shield heals (even if they are from passives), and so you'd really give something to every ship class. But the offensive buffs will always stick out (at least based on our current "DPS meta") in the end, I suppose.

EDIT: The forum did eat my post for a while after an editing attempt, and I rewrote it, so spartan already replied to part of this post before the post existed, so to speak. :)

Of all the things that need feedback the most it is only natural that it is the biggest changes. Any change has its potential concerns, no matter how small - with one this significant, loss of identity is also one.

The intent of the original design of "Deflector Overcharge" was to look at what Deflectors enable or amplify, and then further amplify that. Where it goes from its current state is not something I wish to currently speculate.
    nikephorus wrote: »
    With the update to hangar pets do you plan on doing anything to improve the AI so that they listen better to hangar pet commands?

Yes. Those will be coming in an update soon.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    This is a side bar spartan .... despite what people believe there are still people that pvp on the regular and we find it odd that with the release of all this physical damage introduced on a massive scale there seems to be a problem with the resist as in all resist does not resist all definitely not physical and we think that it should tell me why call it Resist all if it doesn't resist physical? Since this is the case it is made PVP untenable at this particular moment so can you please fix the resist all consoles also as my main character is an engineer I appreciate the moves you have made for engineer but I think you need even more to catch up to tactical inside do you have any plans for that ?
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    wildweasal wrote: »
    This is a side bar spartan .... despite what people believe there are still people that pvp on the regular and we find it odd that with the release of all this physical damage introduced on a massive scale there seems to be a problem with the resist as in all resist does not resist all definitely not physical and we think that it should tell me why call it Resist all if it doesn't resist physical? Since this is the case it is made PVP untenable at this particular moment so can you please fix the resist all consoles also as my main character is an engineer I appreciate the moves you have made for engineer but I think you need even more to catch up to tactical inside do you have any plans for that ?

All Resistance is All Resistance, and includes Physical. Which consoles are you referring to?
  • Options
    *ahem*
    yeah, talking about the [Over] mod is a good place to start, i think...why is a mod that is already near-universally considered one of the worst of the crafted mods not getting the benefit BO is getting that will buff further attacks after the overload fires, thereby making it even WORSE?

it's bad enough that anyone running a full [Over] setup on their ship is trading a mod that is constantly useful (like [Dmg], [CrtD] or [Pen]) for something that is only useful 2.5% of the time, but not getting EVERY buff BO is getting is, in my opinion, just lame

and don't even get me started on why [Over] doesn't trigger most things that BO does, but i can at least sort of understand why it doesn't
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    I know abstrusrejoinder has been working hard on gathering and passing on information so that the team can work on it. Fixing those issues are important, and fixing things is certainly a worthwhile step in a balance pass as I fixed a number of issues while balancing things, but them being fixed is irrelevant of us balancing.

I am glad the bug is being looked at. But I hope you'll also look at the balance of these console powers themselves as they are often called very under-powered when they are working. Compared to ships with hangers, they require a console slot, lack any control abilities and are weak offensively and die quickly.

• Options
    wildweasal wrote: »
    Note that Tribble already has changes regarding physical damage, including having many items grant physical resists that used to give kinetic resists.

I guess my question is more - if we now get physical resists on most things that also give kinetic resists, couldn't these effects be rolled in together in the first place, all using the same damage type (probably kinetic, because that came first)? Feels a bit like: "It seemed a good idea at the time." (Like giving full strength Tractor Beam Mines to players in PvP *shudder*) ;)
  • Options

and don't even get me started on why [Over] doesn't trigger most things that BO does, but i can at least sort of understand why it doesn't​​

Firing a beam with the [Over] proc triggers anything that activates when you fire a Beam Overload. It will not trigger anything that activates when you activate Beam Overload. The concern was that making it give you the extra buffs would make it an insanely standout proc, and move the issue from [Over] not being the most desirable modifier to being stronger than all other modifiers.

I am glad the bug is being looked at. But I hope you'll also look at the balance of these console powers themselves as they are often called very under-powered when they are working. Compared to ships with hangers, they require a console slot, lack any control abilities and are weak offensively and die quickly.

To the extent reasonably possible, I am doing my best to look at the balance of everything.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Bugs asside, is it at all possible for separation pets to get some of the buffs hangar pets are getting?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Firing a beam with the [Over] proc triggers anything that activates when you fire a Beam Overload. It will not trigger anything that activates when you activate Beam Overload. The concern was that making it give you the extra buffs would make it an insanely standout proc, and move the issue from [Over] not being the most desirable modifier to being stronger than all other modifiers.

so couldn't you just give it a reduced version of the all-weapon buff if that's your concern?

and what effects trigger when an overload is fired, anyway? these are the current things i know of that trigger off BO - which are triggered when you fire an overload?

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Specialization:_Energy_Weapons_Officer#Beam_Overload_variant

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Coordinated_Assault
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Dominion_Coordination
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Energy_Web
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Subsystem_Redundancies
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Superweapon_Ingenuity
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Overwhelming_Force​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    holyknight22holyknight22 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    I guess I do have a few questions.

1) Is there any consideration of dropping cannon and mine boff abilities down a slot? As primarily a KDF player, I tend to use cannons in my build including my Fleet K'Tinga. It can only slot 1 Cannon ability in the LT. tac slot, but it can slot 2 levels of beam or torpedo abilities. It might diversify builds a bit if those abilities were moved down and only APB, APBD, APBO were left at the Commander level.

2) Is there any consideration of reworking Dual Cannons? They seem like the forgotten step children of weapon types since they have a faster rate of fire than DHC's, but DHC's are preferred because of their innate Severity bonus.

3) Will there be a look at balancing out old Reputation Ground and Space sets with the newer sets? It seems like many of the older sets do not keep up well with the newer sets like the Iconian 4-Piece set.

Thanks for your hard work and taking the time to listen to the players.
  • Options

1) Is there any consideration of dropping cannon and mine boff abilities down a slot? As primarily a KDF player, I tend to use cannons in my build including my Fleet K'Tinga. It can only slot 1 Cannon ability in the LT. tac slot, but it can slot 2 levels of beam or torpedo abilities. It might diversify builds a bit if those abilities were moved down and only APB, APBD, APBO were left at the Commander level.

2) Is there any consideration of reworking Dual Cannons? They seem like the forgotten step children of weapon types since they have a faster rate of fire than DHC's, but DHC's are preferred because of their innate Severity bonus.

3) Will there be a look at balancing out old Reputation Ground and Space sets with the newer sets? It seems like many of the older sets do not keep up well with the newer sets like the Iconian 4-Piece set.

1. This is unlikely to happen due to the complications involved in doing so.

2. I am evaluating the benefits of non-heavy vs heavy cannons.

3. As I mentioned in the opening post, I can't post speculation about anything else that might be changed until there are patchnotes that detail those changes.

Thank you for the kind words. :)
  • Options
    what exactly are the complications involved in dropping boff powers down a level? beyond the fact that they would probably bugger up already-existing boffs trained in such skill

...actually, i think i just answered my own question​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options

Rather than modifying the existing abilities, what about cloning them as a "new" ability at a lower rank, replacing future (but not existing) player crafted and vendor manuals with the "new" ones, replacing future boff drops with the "new" version, and linking the new and old versions with a full shared cooldown to prevent abuse?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options

Rather than modifying the existing abilities, what about cloning them as a "new" ability at a lower rank, replacing future (but not existing) player crafted and vendor manuals with the "new" ones, replacing future boff drops with the "new" version, and linking the new and old versions with a full shared cooldown to prevent abuse?

that sounds like something that would be classed as a very hacky workaround, and on an engine that is held together with chewing gum, rubber bands and prayer, i would not want them to risk it implementing anything like that​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    holyknight22holyknight22 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    I do have one more.

1. Will the weapon types gain a balance? Tetryon and Phasers tend to be less desirable than the Antiproton or Disruptor. Torpedoes tend to be unbalanced as well with Chroniton being the step-child of torpedoes.
  • Options

that sounds like something that would be classed as a very hacky workaround, and on an engine that is held together with chewing gum, rubber bands and prayer, i would not want them to risk it implementing anything like that​​

At the end of the day, it's functionally not much different from when they add new boff abilities.
    eaY7Xxu.png