test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RIP Torpedo Build :(

Torpedo High Yield, Torpedo Spread, and Torpedo Transport Warhead now only upgrade your next torpedo attack within 10 seconds, from your next attack within 30 seconds.

free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg

Comments

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    So you mean RIP spacebar spam. Nothing's changed if you were consciously pushing it before you attacked.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Doesn't make much difference to me, I almost never sit on the buff very long before firing, and I speak as a big time user of torpedoes. So far the upcoming changes look to be a big boon for me if taking EVERYTHING into context.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Uhh, I don't get it.

How is this gonna kill buffs?

I have my torps on a seperate hotkey, so all I do is double tap it to fire a spread. All it will take for those spacebar-spammers is a slight reconfig of their keybinds...
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    orion0029 wrote: »
    I have my torps on a seperate hotkey, so all I do is double tap it to fire a spread. All it will take for those spacebar-spammers is a slight reconfig of their keybinds...

Hell... I don't even have my torps on autofire! I manually shoot them!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    If STO players want to be so proud of their skill, maybe the game should take some skill.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    It just means you can't get that "free" second torp power when entering combat by triggering the first use 20+ seconds before entering firing range. Now you'll need to wait until you're less than 10 seconds away.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    So the Vulcan Logic hooey has been imported out of R&D Box Threads to here. I see that the '+' sign must be the officially sanctioned Special Character for Thread Topics and to draw attention to a post for this week.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nikeix wrote: »
    If STO players want to be so proud of their skill, maybe the game should take some skill.

Grinding out dil/marks etc doesn't require skill, just the ability to do it as fast and as easy as possible. Building a DPS machine and learning to fly it really well so you do fantastic in ISA is about skill. There are different aspects to the game and given how much time one has to sink into grinding in order to get stuff, it should not be any surprise that most people want it fast and easy.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I really don't get the point of this change, though it really only affects how I setup before an attack. Usually if I'm using torps I'll pre-click HY or spread when I'm still way out of range, so that when I do get in range my cooldown is essentially reduced by however long it took me to close the distance.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    rattler2 wrote: »

Hell... I don't even have my torps on autofire! I manually shoot them!

Exactly why I use a seperate hotkey, with just the torpedo buff and torpedoes on it. I can 'manually' buff & fire with one button. :)
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    This is a nerf to those of us who "double tap" spreads or follow up spreads with HYs by prebuffing early. It's not a big deal IMO. It just removes that tactic and makes torp builds a bit easier to fly because then you don't have to time things as carefully.
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    :/
    this doesn't affect my Torpedo boat.
    its actually sorta helpful.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,823 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Uhh, I don't get it.

How is this gonna kill buffs?

Only thing I figure it's ruining is someone who would double tap...firing their first shot just seconds before it would expire and cooldown recharges.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Only thing I figure it's ruining is someone who would double tap...firing their first shot just seconds before it would expire and cooldown recharges.

I had a assault cruiser that would chain high yield 3 and 2 for super epic torpedo salvo onslaught. This is no longer possible - it wasn't really "effective" mind you, but it was a lot of fun. Since this no longer works I'll definitely trash the build and do something else, mourning for my fun build pig-12.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    If that's the only thing you enjoyed about it, yeah, you should probably shelve it.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    May I point out the shield weakness skill is now a shield ignore?

Think about how that will work for torps especially - if anything, I reckon torps will be even better and in no way 'rip torp builds'
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    burstorion wrote: »
    May I point out the shield weakness skill is now a shield ignore?

Think about how that will work for torps especially - if anything, I reckon torps will be even better and in no way 'rip torp builds'

And Photonic Shockwave now applies a Kinetic Weakness in addition to its Disable. Kinetic Magnet's Resistance Debuff won't vanish right away anymore.

Mmm. I am tempted to put together a Torpedo Boat for my AoY. It has been a while since I've used one and there is some nice stuff coming in.
    I think for torp builds, subsystem targeting will be the bigger buff. Shorter CD, better chances of disabling that subsystem... :smile:
    e30ernest wrote: »
    I think for torp builds, subsystem targeting will be the bigger buff. Shorter CD, better chances of disabling that subsystem... :smile:

Unfortunately, they are adding in that Disable Resist now. Can't really do that Photonic Shockwave-Subsystem Targeting-Tricobalt Shutdown anymore. Although that is more of a PvP Issue. In PvE, that won't make a difference as not a lot of things would survive long enough to benefit from the resistance.

Still, there are enough changes to make experimenting fun. :)
    jslyn wrote: »

Unfortunately, they are adding in that Disable Resist now. Can't really do that Photonic Shockwave-Subsystem Targeting-Tricobalt Shutdown anymore. Although that is more of a PvP Issue. In PvE, that won't make a difference as not a lot of things would survive long enough to benefit from the resistance.

Still, there are enough changes to make experimenting fun. :)

Based on what I've heard so far, things will live longer in PVE. Some high-end players are seeing a more than half reduction on meta build DPS.

You can't chain the disable, but on a high drain build you can get a pretty substantial disable length (based on what I heard on The Show). They were shutting down Pickle and Cube shields in Hive Elite using subsystem targeting 1.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Will probably take some adjustment to get to used to not preload so early anymore. But that's usually more more of an issue at the start of battle.

But I guess it's time to test Kinetic Magnet and and Photonic Shockwave again...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Based on what I've heard so far, things will live longer in PVE. Some high-end players are seeing a more than half reduction on meta build DPS.

Imagine that: builds reliant on the plasma exploders lost DPS when they cut the plasma exploder damage to about 1/20th of their previous output AND removed the shield penetration...
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I honestly think that some of these changes are necessary.

Me, too. I had just bought and upgraded those Exploders for the first time a month ago. I am not upset, though. Frankly, I have found th Beam Boat thing to be rather boring (if a great DSP source). I am okay with scrapping it and doing something else.

They were shutting down Pickle and Cube shields in Hive Elite using subsystem targeting 1.

Ah, Hive. I only played that mission twice, back when it was new. The first time was one of my favorite runs in STO. The Borg Queen assimilated my vessel. After being shot early on, for the rest of the match I could not control my ship and it just kept attacking the other team members. I think that I was actually hit with a bug that caused a combination of the Follow command, Auto-Attack, and a perpetual state of Sensor Scramble. It was thematically great, though. Going by the Chat, the team found it as amusing as I did.
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    the thing that bugs me in general about torp buffs...and this just makes that irritation worse is the fact you have a torpedo crew, you tell them to fire a spread or HY next shot...and somehow they forget? completely? i can get energy weapon buffs draining, you're overcharging arrays in all cases. but kinetic projectiles?
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
    If you are thinking in-universe, torpedoes require a firing solution. If you move around too much, the coordinates they set for that spread would no longer be applicable. They'd have to create a new set.

Imagine that: builds reliant on the plasma exploders lost DPS when they cut the plasma exploder damage to about 1/20th of their previous output AND removed the shield penetration...

It was more like a 95%+ nerf based on the parses in Tribble so far. Basically, they are now useless for energy weapons DPS builds. I predict sci slots becoming like Eng slots, places for universal consoles for most energy builds.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »
    Grinding out dil/marks etc doesn't require skill, just the ability to do it as fast and as easy as possible. Building a DPS machine and learning to fly it really well so you do fantastic in ISA is about skill. There are different aspects to the game and given how much time one has to sink into grinding in order to get stuff, it should not be any surprise that most people want it fast and easy.

Agreed in general, but just wanted to chime in that while ISA is the benchmark for DPS, it's not the only thing where you can make skill count.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    edited March 2017
    reyan01 wrote: »

It was more like a 95%+ nerf based on the parses in Tribble so far. Basically, they are now useless for energy weapons DPS builds. I predict sci slots becoming like Eng slots, places for universal consoles for most energy builds.

Useless may be an exaggeration - they'll still serve a purpose as science consoles, which is exactly what they were supposed to be - unfortunately they wound up being thought of as tactical consoles that could use science console slots.

For Science builds, the R&D consoles will be a better choice than these. The R&D consoles buff 2 stats at once, and give direct buffs to exotic damage. So yeah the plasma consoles from the embassy aren't looking to useful at the moment.
    It was more like a 95%+ nerf based on the parses in Tribble so far.

You know that 1/20th and -95% are the same thing, right :)?